Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230304_185226 (resized).jpg
20230304_185219 (resized).jpg
20230304_185136 (resized).jpg
IMG_1147 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1149 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 13-36-15 KAIWEETS KWS-105 5 in 1 Wire Stripping Tool Electrical Wire Pliers with Screw Cutter (resized)
WIN_20240213_155205 (resized).JPG
IMG_9722 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9691 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9568 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9563 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9499 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9238 (resized).jpeg
20240131_182010 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240127_194309288 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231208_043805742 (resized).jpg
There are 2,261 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 46.
#1551 1 year ago
Quoted from BigAl56:Only if doing what I call an 'Anal' restoration.

In my experience they fail so rarely I dont bother.

#1552 1 year ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

Only if doing what I call an 'Anal' restoration.

Well, I have cleaned coil dust out of coils with a q-tip….

#1553 1 year ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Well, I have cleaned coil dust out of coils with a q-tip….

OK, Thats borderline but well let it pass.

#1554 1 year ago

Can I get a quick verification here? I’m soldering in the top right GI lights and it looks like I have wires going to each bulb yet they were connected by ground braid? Just making sure this correct, the red and white wires go to this socket correct?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#1555 1 year ago

Green & White wires can go together = gnd.
Red & Orange wires can go together = +6.3 volts A.C.

#1556 1 year ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Green & White wires can go together = gnd.
Red & Orange wires can go together = +6.3 volts A.C.

Awesome thanks! That’s what I thought but I wanted to double check before I soldered a dead short together!

#1557 1 year ago

I have a Xenon for sale in Indy...$2800. I also have a new gold CPR playfield for $800

#1558 1 year ago

A little drop bank rebuild update. I’m a little concerned about the rust coming back on the plungers but we’ll see.

Before:
41495906-A975-43B3-9089-F91C859527CC (resized).jpeg41495906-A975-43B3-9089-F91C859527CC (resized).jpeg

After:
5319302B-6D2F-4805-BE66-5C097EDBDA3D (resized).jpeg5319302B-6D2F-4805-BE66-5C097EDBDA3D (resized).jpeg

#1559 1 year ago

I also re-blued the spring leafs on the drop switches. First time doing this as well.

Before:
E8B3383B-5077-4987-9A1B-ED48BBF6F8FF (resized).jpegE8B3383B-5077-4987-9A1B-ED48BBF6F8FF (resized).jpeg

After:
9B4855B7-9C38-42EF-8B9A-A1920FB2494A (resized).jpeg9B4855B7-9C38-42EF-8B9A-A1920FB2494A (resized).jpeg

#1560 1 year ago

I also re-blued the spring leafs on the drop switches. First time doing this as well.

How do you do that?

#1561 1 year ago
Quoted from jibmums:

How do you do that?

I bought a gun bluing kit at Academy. https://www.academy.com/p/birchwood-casey%C2%AE-complete-perma-blue%C2%AE-liquid-gun-blue-kit

Was pretty easy actually. Derusted the springs in evaporust, then rinsed them and did the rebluing process. The kit was $17 at Academy and took me all of about 20 minutes total.

#1562 1 year ago

Before:
[quoted image]
After:
[quoted image]

Nice work. I run the memory coil plungers in the tumbler until shiny. Springs too.

#1563 1 year ago

Looks like I’m heading down the home stretch in this playfield swap and restore. Any ideas on how to go about plugging everything in to re-power things on?

#1564 1 year ago

Looks like I’m heading down the home stretch in this playfield swap and restore. Any ideas on how to go about plugging everything in to re-power things on?

I start with just j1 plugged in on rectifier board to test GI lamps. A fuse will pop right away if there's a short. Turn off power and return the rest of the connectors where they go. Fire up game with back box open. Listen for any locked coils, watch led on mpu and smell for anything burning. Once all clear run through all the self tests. Most likely will need to adjust some switches.

#1565 1 year ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I start with just j1 plugged in on rectifier board to test GI lamps. A fuse will pop right away if there's a short. Turn off power and return the rest of the connectors where they go. Fire up game with back box open. Listen for any locked coils, watch led on mpu and smell for anything burning. Once all clear run through all the self tests. Most likely will need to adjust some switches.

Got it, thanks!

#1566 1 year ago

Another question.

My slingshot switches are a bit tired. They are three lug with a diode. The replacements I have are two lug. Can I just solder in without the diode or should I pirate the 3rd lug off the old switches?

New switch next to old switch:

#1567 1 year ago

Another question.
My slingshot switches are a bit tired. They are three lug with a diode. The replacements I have are two lug. Can I just solder in without the diode or should I pirate the 3rd lug off the old switches?
New switch next to old switch:
[quoted image]

Take the third lug from the old switch. You need it for a solder point for the diode.

#1568 1 year ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Take the third lug from the old switch. You need it for a solder point for the diode.

Just for my education, what's the function of the diode here?

#1569 1 year ago

Having an issue with my Xenon blowing the playfield fuse, made a separate post here if anyone can help:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-blowing-playfield-fuse-what-s-my-next-step#post-6907758

#1570 1 year ago

It's part of the switch matrix. Pay attention to the band on the diode. Wire it like it was on old switch. You only need the solder lug on one sling switch per side.

#1571 1 year ago

The switches are constructed on a grid system.
Each diode isolates the grid to one switch closer.

#1572 1 year ago

Excellent info, thanks all!

I copied the old switches exactly and only modified one of the two as per the originals. Paid special attention to the band side of the diode so hopefully everything works correctly. Only a few odds and ends left and the swap will be done! Phew!

#1573 1 year ago

Can someone verify this wire placement for me please? This game had two aftermarket flipper coils on it and I have soldered them back as they were in my pictures but the small wires coming from the lugs are different. In one the small wire comes off the outside lug which is hot and in the other it looks to be coming off the middle lug??

Am I soldered correctly here?

C06037A4-F3AD-4AA5-A1FF-85FF982F7B65 (resized).jpegC06037A4-F3AD-4AA5-A1FF-85FF982F7B65 (resized).jpegF03DE8EB-470E-4F52-BA82-360F7F8BBE6D (resized).jpegF03DE8EB-470E-4F52-BA82-360F7F8BBE6D (resized).jpeg
#1574 1 year ago

Can someone verify this wire placement for me please?

They look right to me.
But are they really 24-500 on the thrust winding or is it a typo on the coil wrappers? Usually those Bally flipper coils are 25-500 on the thrust winding.

#1575 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

They look right to me.
But are they really 24-500 on the thrust winding or is it a typo on the coil wrappers? Usually those Bally flipper coils are 25-500 on the thrust winding.

Oh, good catch! I printed out the wrong wrappers. DOH.

Thanks for checking my work on the wiring.

#1576 1 year ago

It’s Miller Time!

39B1C584-3B49-4DD0-B946-625B7684805E (resized).jpeg39B1C584-3B49-4DD0-B946-625B7684805E (resized).jpeg
#1577 1 year ago

Tube shot question. I’m fiddling with placing my new tube and it seems like it’s not fitting correctly. The angled metal bracket should be on the outside of the tube correct?

8D2EB98F-58FA-4B4D-8111-562318AA84D3 (resized).jpeg8D2EB98F-58FA-4B4D-8111-562318AA84D3 (resized).jpeg
#1578 1 year ago

Tube shot question. I’m fiddling with placing my new tube and it seems like it’s not fitting correctly. The angled metal bracket should be on the outside of the tube correct?
[quoted image]

Yes, it goes on the outside.

#1579 1 year ago

I think the locations of my spacers is incorrect on the ramp. Also my machine was missing the playfield plastic posts on the inside curve of the ramp near the pop. Does anyone have the correct spacer placements or maybe a picture of the correct posts in the area?

Also, what screw sizes are really needed? There are some monster long screws that were in my original playfield but they are on their last legs. I can’t find a wood screw that long that is still a thin enough diameter anywhere!

#1580 1 year ago

[quoted image]

I had the same problem when I installed my tube. When I place it inside the angled metal bracket, the nylon loop (at the top of your photo) is pulled toward the front of the machine by 1/8 - 1/4" or so. Had to have been misaligned like that when I took everything apart, but who would double-check something like that?

#1581 1 year ago
Quoted from jibmums:

I had the same problem when I installed my tube. When I place it inside the angled metal bracket, the nylon loop (at the top of your photo) is pulled toward the front of the machine by 1/8 - 1/4" or so. Had to have been misaligned like that when I took everything apart, but who would double-check something like that?

Well I discovered part of the problem. The CPR playfield I am using is one that the previous owner was doing a playfield swap on and never finished. Looks like he drilled the holes for the ramp near the tube exit incorrectly. They’re off by about 1/8”. So I’ll fill them with epoxy tomorrow and redrill them correctly.

Now just to figure out the spacers for the ramp!!

#1582 1 year ago

Now just to figure out the spacers for the ramp!!

Is this what you're looking for?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-gray-posts#post-4346256

#1583 1 year ago

Yes thanks! That certainly will help get me started!

#1584 1 year ago

PantherCityPins Although it will work the way you have it the flipper coils are turned the wrong way. The lugs should be at the back by the coil stop and the compression washer goes in the front.

#1585 1 year ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

Pinball_Gizzard Although it will work the way you have it the flipper coils are turned the wrong way. The lugs should be at the back by the coil stop and the compression washer goes in the front.

That was done as per Vid’s guide. Apparently there was a service bulletin from Bally in the mid-80s that said there was an issue with diode failure related to the coil stop being right next to the diodes. They recommended reversing the coil to try and help. Probably would never be an issue with home use but I figured I’d try it this way this time, maybe I’ll go back to the old way next time.

#1586 1 year ago

Well I discovered part of the problem. The CPR playfield I am using is one that the previous owner was doing a playfield swap on and never finished. Looks like he drilled the holes for the ramp near the tube exit incorrectly. They’re off by about 1/8”. So I’ll fill them with epoxy tomorrow and redrill them correctly.

Mine is an original playfield. Maybe your guy drilled it correctly, and they're all off by 1/8".

#1587 1 year ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Mine is an original playfield. Maybe your guy drilled it correctly, and they're all off by 1/8".

I don't think so, the tube won't line up with the ramps the way it is. There are two holes drilled for the exit ramp hardware and if you use the outer holes (I assume the original dimple location) the tube will line up. The other set of holes, not so much. Also when you use the outer holes to get the tube to line up the small ramp is all crooked and doesn't sit flush with where the holes were drilled.

My guess is he had the correct holes drilled originally and couldn't get things to line up for some reason and started to drill more holes. Calamity ensued.

Here's what that side of the PF looks like currently:

#1588 1 year ago

Out of curiousity what is the little light hole on the apron for? There was a socket stapled to the playfield underneath there. When does it light? Should I go through the trouble of reinstalling a socket and bulb?

#1589 1 year ago

Out of curiousity what is the little light hole on the apron for? There was a socket stapled to the playfield underneath there. When does it light? Should I go through the trouble of reinstalling a socket and bulb?

Lights up when there are 1 or more credits in the game. One of the adjustments in the MPU turns off the credits in the backbox display (in fact I have to turn mine back on) and that lamp lets you know that you have credits available to play if the display is off. When it's on, too.

#1590 1 year ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Lights up when there are 1 or more credits in the game. One of the adjustments in the MPU turns off the credits in the backbox display (in fact I have to turn mine back on) and that lamp lets you know that you have credits available to play if the display is off. When it's on, too.

First thing you looked for as a kid in the arcade.

#1591 1 year ago

Historically, the credit light was very important as in some regions of the country it was illegal to display a number of credits remaining less you have something of value to transfer thus fitting the game into a narrow definition of gambling. In later years, manufacturers moved to lighted credit buttons and in modern times they can just post on the backbox display there are credits to be played.
Back in the EM days, games would come with a sticker that would cover the credit wheel window.

#1592 1 year ago

Note: Certain states have anti-gambling/buying laws.
------ A black out window was placed over the credit window so no one
------ could by games off of the unknown value.
------ To let a player know that the game has credits the bottom card tray
------ has a lite indicator... how credits ??? One had to press the start button to find out.

#1593 1 year ago

What would cause the left pop bumper to randomly fire when the left flipper button is released? Doesn’t happen when I hit the flipper happens randomly when I let go of the button.

Once every 10 or so games I’ll get the pop to fire when I let off the flipper button. Starting to get more common.

New diodes on coil and switch of the pop. I have Alltek MPU and SDB. Does it with an original SDB also when I swapped it with a different game for a bit.

I was trying to apply some switch matrix logic some of you guys in the club taught me but I’m not seeing how the flippers tie into the matrix with this game.

#1594 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

What would cause the left pop bumper to randomly fire when the left flipper button is released? Doesn’t happen when I hit the flipper happens randomly when I let go of the button.
Once every 10 or so games I’ll get the pop to fire when I let off the flipper button. Starting to get more common.
New diodes on coil and switch of the pop. I have Alltek MPU and SDB. Does it with an original SDB also when I swapped it with a different game for a bit.
I was trying to apply some switch matrix logic some of you guys in the club taught me but I’m not seeing how the flippers tie into the matrix with this game.

The switch matrix picks up the collapsing magnetic field and triggers a phantom activation.

I have found caps added to the flipper EOS almost eliminates this.

#1596 1 year ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Are flippers on the switch matrix?

Nope.

The wiring is all bundled together so very prone to this problem.

#1597 1 year ago

Then your diagnosis seems odd but I’m no EE. Flipper switches are high voltage and matrix is low. I’ve never heard your explanation on any other problem.

#1598 1 year ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Then your diagnosis seems odd but I’m no EE. Flipper switches are high voltage and matrix is low. I’ve never heard your explanation on any other problem.

Ok.

#1599 1 year ago

Ok. You modified your response but I’ve never experienced it in all the machines I’ve had or seen it mentioned anywhere.

#1600 1 year ago

Thanks for all the help Xenon peeps! It’s getting there.

As Fat Bastard would say, “It’s dead sexy!!”

75735F8F-C921-4A9A-824C-E9314B642229 (resized).jpeg75735F8F-C921-4A9A-824C-E9314B642229 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 90.00
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,261 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-clubmembers-onlytry-xeeeenon/page/32?hl=chas10e and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.