• Latest reply 2 days ago by Lovef2k
  • Topic is favorited by 73 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1147 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1149 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 13-36-15 KAIWEETS KWS-105 5 in 1 Wire Stripping Tool Electrical Wire Pliers with Screw Cutter (resized)
WIN_20240213_155205 (resized).JPG
IMG_9722 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9691 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9568 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9563 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9499 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9238 (resized).jpeg
20240131_182010 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240127_194309288 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231208_043805742 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 10.09.14 AM (resized).png
There are 2,259 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 46.
#51 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Sweet!!!
Can you make a video on you phone before you pull them out?
Press the test button on the sound card and record the whole routine.
There are 1000000s of pinheads that have never heard them....
TIA

No prob, I will post it here soon..

#52 7 years ago

Does that mean it's a sound for sound replacement to the one with a female voice? LOL @ the dude sighing when the 1st ball is locked.

#53 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Those are Fairchild EPROMs.
Probably not factory equipment.

Their Fujitsu EPROMs and yes they are factory.

#54 7 years ago

I really like the visuals of tricked out Xenon games I've seen on the internet, but, is it just me, or does this game give off a very lesbian vibe? Passive, accepting, looking up/hopeful/worshipful female seemingly subservient to robotic, logical, "lipstick" female... just giving me odd vibes lol

#55 7 years ago

You are going to have to ask the gal that did the sound fx
for that answer.

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from Drewscruis:

Anything is of course possible, but generally, EPROMs were way too expensive for Bally.

They usually used non-erasable PROMs that were much cheaper. No window on the top and silver machine printed code across the plastic housing.

I've got 100s of these original PROMs because I always replace them with EPROMs burned with the free-play software, when I do a home service call.

i (resized).jpgi (resized).jpg

#57 7 years ago

So, where's the video with the "male" voices? Anyone?

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

for that answer.

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from Drewscruis:

Quoted from vid1900:

Anything is of course possible, but generally, EPROMs were way too expensive for Bally.

Check out the EPROMs in the video above.

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Check out the EPROMs in the video above.

Sure, while they are prototyping they are going to use expensive EPROMs, because they can be re-programmed in-house; but once the code was finalized, they had them mass produced on cheap PROMs .

The permanent silver ink on the PROMs tells you what machine's code is within.

No hand written labels or other time consuming, mix-up-able nonsense.

-

For instance, from the codes on the pic below we know that:

U2 is E834-23 : Flash Gordon
U6 is E720-52 : EBD, Embryon, Fireball II, Flash Gordon.

i (resized).jpgi (resized).jpg

#61 7 years ago

On Bally systems, U6 is a utility ROM and U2 etc..., are the personality
ROM to the game at hand.
Note: a large part of U6 is devoted to shifting logic in and out of
---- the 5101 ram, four bits at a time.

#62 7 years ago

Guys, just picked up a decent but overpriced Xenon and relearning the machine since I haven't played one in years.

Getting ready to climb under the playfield and address a few things but wanted some clarification on things before I dig in:

- left side saucer: 9 out of 10 times the ball bounces off the slingshots and to the right outlane. I have to almost tilt it to keep it out and it is frustrating. Is this an intentional design or just a bad adjustment on this particular machine?

- Spinner - Is the sound always active on it? I don't hear it much so hope its intentional or fixable by the switch

- PF is in pretty good shape. The worst wear is from the upper saucer. Does anyone make a sticker for this area?

Thx.

#63 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Sure, while they are prototyping they are going to use expensive EPROMs, because they can be re-programmed in-house; but once the code was finalized, they had them mass produced on cheap PROMs .
The permanent silver ink on the PROMs tells you what machine's code is within.
No hand written labels or other time consuming, mix-up-able nonsense.
-
For instance, from the codes on the pic below we know that:
U2 is E834-23 : Flash Gordon
U6 is E720-52 : EBD, Embryon, Fireball II, Flash Gordon.

I've repaired atleast a dozen xenon mpu's. All of them had the white Fujitsu eproms with hand written labels. Unless they were all prototype machines from all over, I think it was factory.

#64 7 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Spinner - Is the sound always active on it?

All switch are supposed to make a sound.
As far as the spinner goes... it should have
a weird flutter sound and another weird
sound when lit.

#65 7 years ago
Quoted from Drewscruis:

I've repaired atleast a dozen xenon mpu's. All of them had the white Fujitsu eproms with hand written labels. Unless they were all prototype machines from all over, I think it was factory.

Like I said, anything is possible.

I don't have any white ones in my pulls, but they made 10,000 of those mofos......

#66 7 years ago

11,000 of those mofos (thanks Dale)

#67 7 years ago

howdy folks, I have a xenon I bought last year and it seemed to be running fine with a few adjustments. I had to remove the head when we moved recently, and after I reassembled it, now none of the displays are turning on. Such a newb, any ideas? please help!

#68 7 years ago
Quoted from crosbyjack:

howdy folks, I have a xenon I bought last year and it seemed to be running fine with a few adjustments. I had to remove the head when we moved recently, and after I reassembled it, now none of the displays are turning on. Such a newb, any ideas? please help!

Did you remember to reconnect the ground braid from the body to the head?

Does the game still boot up?

Get your meter out, and see if the the displays have power (danger HV).

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

- left side saucer: 9 out of 10 times the ball bounces off the slingshots and to the right outlane. I have to almost tilt it to keep it out and it is frustrating. Is this an intentional design or just a bad adjustment on this particular machine?

Probably just a bad adjustment. The manual has a diagram showing where the ball should contact the sling.

#70 7 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

for that answer.

Quoted from AlexSMendes:

» YouTube video

Okay, I am going to take that as a "yes." Lol

#71 7 years ago
Quoted from Jeremy8419:

I really like the visuals of tricked out Xenon games I've seen on the internet, but, is it just me, or does this game give off a very lesbian vibe? Passive, accepting, looking up/hopeful/worshipful female seemingly subservient to robotic, logical, "lipstick" female... just giving me odd vibes lol

I've never once thought of it as lesbian (not that there's anything wrong with that) but then again I started playing this game as a adolescent boy and it was like electric sex (to quote Christmas Story)! Been hooked on pinball ever since!!

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I've never once thought of it as lesbian (not that there's anything wrong with that) but then again I started playing this game as a adolescent boy and it was like electric sex (to quote Christmas Story)! Been hooked on pinball ever since!!

If it was like a dude in some form as the giant robot, is agree, but the visuals from drain up through right area to the backglass is like a girl that is curious and hesitant but slowly makes her way to accepting an overtly sexual tone from a female robot.

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from Jeremy8419:

If it was like a dude in some form as the giant robot, is agree, but the visuals from drain up through right area to the backglass is like a girl that is curious and hesitant but slowly makes her way to accepting an overtly sexual tone from a female robot.

Have you played the game and heard the mix of male and female sounds?

#74 7 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Have you played the game and heard the mix of male and female sounds?

Nope, just videos. They all sounded female to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the game, it's just something I found myself wondering about when watching the tricked out Xenon's and noticing the flow of the game's visuals. Just seems like what the theme builds up to is, "just let go and accept the female in your female" is all.

#75 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Probably just a bad adjustment. The manual has a diagram showing where the ball should contact the sling.

That's exactly where it goes, then hits the left sling, then to the right outlane. Very frustrating at this point. My hands are bruised from shaking the machine.

By the way, I don't get a lesbian vibe at all. My family nicknamed this one the 'Sex Machine' because of the thongs, boobs and sounds from the thumper bumpers.

#78 7 years ago
Quoted from Jeremy8419:

Nope, just videos. They all sounded female to me.

#79 7 years ago

My Xenon before and after a good cleaning. A big thank you goes out to Vid for a post he made about modifying the original tube lights to LED's.

20170303_155940 (resized).jpg20170303_155940 (resized).jpg

20170322_154518 (resized).jpg20170322_154518 (resized).jpg

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

OMG, what the hell was that???

WOW @ taito sounds..I swear I heard Chariots of Fire and Close Encounters of the Third Kind... o_O Was there somethign else going on with one of the other games?

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

WOW @ taito sounds..I swear I heard Chariots of Fire and Close Encounters of the Third Kind... o_O Was there somethign else going on with one of the other games?

All sounds you hear are factory installed.

I was maybe 8, when I first saw a pinball machine, and Taito Brazil ignited my passion for pinball.

Growing up, my dream was to own each and every Taito machine but, well.... that dream has vanished about 20 yrs ago... Guess why!

#82 7 years ago

Hey, I guess I can join this club now? I just bought a Xenon today. I won't get it for a week or so. It's supposed to be in very good shape, with the scorecard autographed by the designer and artist. I'm stoked.

1 week later
#83 7 years ago

I have a very clean xenon with one issue. The left sling plastic was homemade by the previous owner. Does anyone have any extra sling plastics laying around they want to sell?

#84 7 years ago

I will after i put mine back together.

#85 7 years ago

I think my Avatar alone shuld qualify me to join! ...I am also previous owner. Love the artwork on Xenon.

5 months later
#86 6 years ago

Exit Chamber Side Saucer Glitch...

Here's yet another Xenon odyssey that was driving me insane. I thought I'd elaborate and maybe save someone else some pain. Sometimes when the ball would land in the Exit Chamber side saucer it would just stay there. There's no ball search technology here. Once the ball was stuck, it was stuck. I'd have to pull the glass or restart the machine. The problem was maddeningly intermittent. It was frequent enough that the game was no fun to play, but not frequent enough to reliably reproduce under test. This is another problem that dragged on for years before I finally figured it out.

There were two scenarios where I might see the malfunction...

1) Lock is not lit. There are two distinct sound effects associated with the Exit Chamber side saucer. First there's a sound effect associated with the exit chamber lamps as they score and advance. The ball is held during this process. Next there's a sound effect associated with the ball actually being ejected. When the game malfunctioned, I'd get the first sound effect, but not the second sound effect and the ball would not eject. That led me to believe that it wasn't a simple issue with the side saucer switch (switch 33). The game knew the ball was there because I'd get the first sound effect and the lamp advance. But I also didn't think it was a simple issue with the side saucer solenoid (solenoid 04) because I didn't get the associated eject sound effect that goes with the firing of the side saucer solenoid (solenoid 04).

2) Lock is lit ("Try tube shot"). There are two distinct sound effects associated with the Exit Chamber side saucer. First there's a sound effect associated with the exit chamber lamps as they score and advance. Next there's a sound effect associated with the second ball being served to the shooter lane ("Ahhh"). When the game malfunctioned, I'd get the first sound effect, but not the second sound effect and the second ball would not be served to the shooter lane. That led me to believe that it wasn't a simple issue with the side saucer switch (switch 33). The game knew the ball was there because I'd get the first sound effect and lamp advance. But I also didn't think it was a simple issue with the ball release solenoid (solenoid 03) because I didn't get the associated sound effect that goes with the second ball being served.

I had not observed that two balls ever jam up at the side saucer after one ball is already locked. The game always ejects the first ball before the second ball takes its place. And I didn't recall that the game ever malfunctioned during multiball. The problem only seemed to occur during single ball play before lock was lit or as ball one was locked.

There is one normal in-game scenario that sort of mimicked the malfunction. That is when one ball is locked, but before multiball is started. When the second ball is shot through the tube, the first ball is ejected as soon as the second ball hits the exit chamber rollover switch (switch 01). When the second ball hits the saucer switch (switch 33), the exit chamber award is scored and advanced, but the second ball is not ejected. The second ball merely replaces the first ball as the locked ball. This is the only normal scenario where a ball would be held at the side saucer without a secondary sound effect, without the side saucer solenoid (solenoid 04) firing or without the ball release solenoid (solenoid 03) firing.

This turned out to be the critical clue. The problem had nothing to do with the side saucer and everything to do with the faulty ball release rollover switch (switch 02). This is the rollover switch on the right side of the ball trough adjacent to the ball release mechanism (solenoid 03). Once I figured this out, the problem was easily simulated by removing the second ball from the ball trough. If the ball release rollover switch (switch 02) is open, the game seems to assume that there are two (non-multiball) balls in play. Accordingly, the game holds one ball at the Exit Chamber side saucer. After the ball release rollover switch (switch 02) was cleaned and adjusted, I was back in business.

Cleaning the ball release rollover switch (switch 02) was easier said than done. Usually I swipe the contacts a few times with a piece of heavy paper. That wasn't working in this case which had me continuing to question my diagnosis. I re-soldered the switch terminals just for fun. I replaced the switch diode even though the old one tested good. Finally I removed the switch and scrubbed the contacts from several different angles. That did the trick. So I had a tenacious speck of dirt or tarnish in exactly the wrong place. Or the contacts are worn out. Time will tell. But at least I now know where to look.

Note that closing the ball release rollover switch (switch 02) after a ball is stuck in the side saucer does not clear the problem. In other words, it only takes a momentary glitch of the ball release rollover switch (switch 02) and you could be screwed. So, for example, pounding on the game to vibrate the switch contacts won't help. The ball release rollover switch (switch 02) must function cleanly and consistently.

Also note that the ball release rollover switch (switch 02) must be closed in order for the game to complete the start-up sequence. For reasons I can't explain, this was never a problem. The game always started reliably.

#87 6 years ago

My Xenon is having some trouble with the voices. Its cracking and sometimes cuts out completely. I re-seated the connectors on the vocalizer board but nothing. I'm thinking that the chips may be culprit. Anyone else ever had this issue?

#88 6 years ago

Howdy y'all. I'm having problems with my solenoid driver board, blowing the 3/16 fuse, specifically the J3 connector.

I have had to re-pin/rewire this connection because the 11th pin down white with brown stripes) had melted the connecting female pin housing in half, and I was getting no power to the displays and a game wouldn't start. Can anyone send me a picture of the appropriate wire orientation for this connection? I have a few, but the color bands on some of the wires are hard to make out. . (is that a grey with brown, or just a dusty grey? haha) Also, is the red clippy thing on the white wire with brown bands a ground? Where it was attached to the male pins is where the female connector melted. All of the soldier is solid on the board btw. . . Please help! I think I re-crimped and repined it all right. . . :/ Thank you in advance!

#89 6 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

My Xenon is having some trouble with the voices. Its cracking and sometimes cuts out completely. I re-seated the connectors on the vocalizer board but nothing. I'm thinking that the chips may be culprit. Anyone else ever had this issue?

I've had crackling scratchy sound coming out of my newly acquired Xenon in attract mode. I finally got around to messing with it, and exercised the 2 pots on the sound board and I think it cleared up for the most part.

#90 6 years ago

I love my Xenon. My favorite shot is a nice clean shot right through the spinner. There's nothing more satisfying !

#91 6 years ago

My Xenon under construction, this one will be some kind of " gold edition "

IMG_4623 (resized).JPGIMG_4623 (resized).JPG

IMG_4325 (resized).JPGIMG_4325 (resized).JPG

IMG_4637 (resized).JPGIMG_4637 (resized).JPG

IMG_4031 (resized).JPGIMG_4031 (resized).JPG

IMG_4180 (resized).JPGIMG_4180 (resized).JPG

#92 6 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

2 pots on the sound board

Are you referring to the C15 and C8 capacitors?

#93 6 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

Are you referring to the C15 and C8 capacitors?

No, the two trim potentiometers (variable resistors). One controls volume of the sounds and one voice. They get dirty and oxidated and cause problems, you can try turning them back and forth a bunch to see if it cleans them up or just replace them.

#94 6 years ago
Quoted from crosbyjack:

Can anyone send me a picture of the appropriate wire orientation for this connection?

2017-09-15 14.31.38 (resized).jpg2017-09-15 14.31.38 (resized).jpg

#95 6 years ago

Not sure if this will help, but...I can pull if off and splay it out tomorrow if you don't get another pic.

20170915_165959 (resized).jpg20170915_165959 (resized).jpg

#96 6 years ago
Quoted from thierryv:

My Xenon under construction, this one will be some kind of " gold edition "

Very cool! I should have done that to mine.

Xenon gold (resized).jpgXenon gold (resized).jpg

1 month later
#97 6 years ago

Xenon plays all sounds until any major coil such as a pop, sling, or flipper is used. Then the musical score stops, but the speech and some sounds continue. When the ball drains, it goes back to normal until a coil is used again. I made a 30 sec video of it.

I read the Bally sounds are sometimes affected by the solenoid lines. I tried the following. Nothing helped!

made sure game setting number 18 is set to 3, full sounds.
reflowed solder on the headers of the solenoid driver board and sound board.
replaced the solenoid driver board with a brand new Alltek board.
replaced the MPU with a brand new Alltek MPU.
replaced the Sounds+ and Vocalizer boards with a spare set of the same.
replaced the data ribbon cable of the two sound boards.
inspected the molex IDC cable connections and pressed in the IDCs with an IDC tool.
visually inspected all the molex crimped pins and wires.
the primary lamp driver board is a new Alltek lamp driver - didn't mess with this, didn't see the need.
the aux lamp driver board is original - didn't mess with this, didn't see the need.

Board components and roms cannot be the issue since I've swapped out each board one by one (accept the lamp driver boards). I've inspected the cables and can't see a problem. I'm so stumped. Would appreciate any suggestions.

#98 6 years ago

still looking for a right sling plastic. also I have a strange issue during attract mode. Every once in a while, while sitting in attract mode, it was have the game sounds start displays go to zero but nothing else happens. I can start a game just fine with no issues but it will happen again after a game ends and it sits in attract. its kinda weird

#99 6 years ago

I have some sling plastics. Send me a PM...

#100 6 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

Xenon plays all sounds until any major coil such as a pop, sling, or flipper is used. Then the musical score stops, but the speech and some sounds continue. When the ball drains, it goes back to normal until a coil is used again. I made a 30 sec video of it.
» YouTube video
I read the Bally sounds are sometimes affected by the solenoid lines. I tried the following. Nothing helped!
made sure game setting number 18 is set to 3, full sounds.
reflowed solder on the headers of the solenoid driver board and sound board.
replaced the solenoid driver board with a brand new Alltek board.
replaced the MPU with a brand new Alltek MPU.
replaced the Sounds+ and Vocalizer boards with a spare set of the same.
replaced the data ribbon cable of the two sound boards.
inspected the molex IDC cable connections and pressed in the IDCs with an IDC tool.
visually inspected all the molex crimped pins and wires.
the primary lamp driver board is a new Alltek lamp driver - didn't mess with this, didn't see the need.
the aux lamp driver board is original - didn't mess with this, didn't see the need.
Board components and roms cannot be the issue since I've swapped out each board one by one (accept the lamp driver boards). I've inspected the cables and can't see a problem. I'm so stumped. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Only thing I can think of is the tube exit rollover is too sensitive. Try putting a piece of paper between the switch blades and retest.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 90.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

There are 2,259 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-clubmembers-onlytry-xeeeenon/page/2?hl=crosbyjack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.