• Latest reply 6 days ago by legtod2
  • Topic is favorited by 73 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1147 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1149 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 13-36-15 KAIWEETS KWS-105 5 in 1 Wire Stripping Tool Electrical Wire Pliers with Screw Cutter (resized)
WIN_20240213_155205 (resized).JPG
IMG_9722 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9691 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9568 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9563 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9499 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9238 (resized).jpeg
20240131_182010 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240127_194309288 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231208_043805742 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 10.09.14 AM (resized).png

There are 2,258 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 46.
#1201 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Can you post pic of spinner? It sounds like something could be bent or misaligned.
I have tons of mini posts if you need one but you have to see if the threads or hole is blown out.

Thanks! When I shopped the machine I replaced every cap and diode and re pinned all the connections. I haven’t done anything to the top yet.

304ABE83-380C-41F6-9BE3-36B727557A86 (resized).jpeg304ABE83-380C-41F6-9BE3-36B727557A86 (resized).jpeg64065CD6-1F03-4FB5-BFD5-8F913746756B (resized).jpeg64065CD6-1F03-4FB5-BFD5-8F913746756B (resized).jpeg
#1202 2 years ago

The arch looks bent on right side. That could cause some friction. Also try cleaning up the wire that runs through the spinner with fine steel wool. Make sure link is straight and centered with hole in pf.

Is the missing post a through hole or wood thread? I'm not home to look at mine right now.

#1203 2 years ago
Quoted from Kderrick:

Two things need addressed after a few days of playing. 1)The mini post next to the tube entrance is missing and 2)the Spinner hangs up occasionally and doesn’t score points. I’ve adjusted the spinner a few times to score and spin freely but the wire catches on the side as the little white washers hang up.

Make sure the spinner frame is square and aligned with the hole where the arm goes thru the playfield.

Make sure the arm is in the proper switch leaf hole too

If all that is correct, replace the plastic spacers if they are traveling up the arm and getting hung up

https://www.pinballlife.com/nylon-spinner-washer.html

#1204 2 years ago
Quoted from Kderrick:

Thanks! When I shopped the machine I replaced every cap and diode and re pinned all the connections. I haven’t done anything to the top yet. [quoted image][quoted image]

Don't bother replacing the missing post with a wood thread post, it gets hammered too much and will just strip out again. Drill the hole through and install a #10 thread post. Use a small washer on top to give the post a base to sit on and use a washer and nylon lock nut on the underside.

https://www.pinballlife.com/1-78-tall-metal-post-with-10-32-threaded-base-15430.html

9038DC35-5E06-4C5E-9AA0-79E122F4A376 (resized).jpeg9038DC35-5E06-4C5E-9AA0-79E122F4A376 (resized).jpeg
#1205 2 years ago

Getting around to Installing a hardtop on my project Xenon. CPR has not shown the Xenon reproduction playfield for over a year and at current pricing it may be around $1,000 when it comes in again. The hardtop was a lot lower in cost and I have an extra playfield to experiment on. Here are the before and after...

20210825_132642 (resized).jpg20210825_132642 (resized).jpg20210829_142706 1 (resized).jpg20210829_142706 1 (resized).jpg
#1206 2 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

Getting around to Installing a hardtop on my project Xenon. CPR has not shown the Xenon reproduction playfield for over a year and at current pricing it may be around $1,000 when it comes in again. The hardtop was a lot lower in cost and I have an extra playfield to experiment on. Here are the before and after...[quoted image][quoted image]

You’ll be happy. Hardtops are amazing!

#1207 2 years ago

New altek board and LED lights in the back box and GI have been working fine. Whenever I try to put the LED’s under the playfield the 20A fuse blows. Put 47 bulbs back in and all is fine. Switch back to LED’s and fuse pops again.

#1208 2 years ago
Quoted from Kderrick:

New altek board and LED lights in the back box and GI have been working fine. Whenever I try to put the LED’s under the playfield the 20A fuse blows. Put 47 bulbs back in and all is fine. Switch back to LED’s and fuse pops again.

You probably have a bad (shorted) LED bulb. I had one once with a solder blob on the tip and took out an SCR when putting one in a switched lamp. Inspect them closely. You may need to buzz them with a meter if you don't see anything obvious at first.

#1209 2 years ago

Spinner is working like a charm after the advice. Still looking for a solution to the missing post. Game is playing fine with the 47 incandescent bulbs. Need to check all the LED’s to find the problem before reinstalling. I have new light bulb bayonets on the way. This will probably be a full restoration when I’m done.

#1210 2 years ago
Quoted from Kderrick:

Spinner is working like a charm after the advice. Still looking for a solution to the missing post. Game is playing fine with the 47 incandescent bulbs. Need to check all the LED’s to find the problem before reinstalling. I have new light bulb bayonets on the way. This will probably be a full restoration when I’m done.

Do as dothedoo mentioned in post 1204. The original mini post was and 8-32 post with a Tee nut under the PF. The Tee nut should still be there since they have a screw holding them down. It's most likely stripped out. Upsize to the #10 post with a flat washer on top of PF and external tooth lock-washer and nut under pf and it will rock solid. Get this one from Pinball Life: 530-5005-00 It has long threads to reach through PF and enough thread to add washer and locknut.

#1211 2 years ago

Anybody feel like trying this code modification?

It reverses the state of the feature lamps near the left saucer under the plastics that look like non-functioning G.I lamps.
Normally those lamps are off which leaves that area of the playfield being dark. They flash on when the ball enters the tube.
The modification results in those lamps being normally on so the area is lit, and flash off when the ball enters the tube.

Using a hex editor, perform the following changes and program new EPROMs:

offset: old values ---> new values
U1:
$06D5: $8A, $30 ---> $84, $CF
$07FC: $A6 ---> $0D

U2:
$0412 $CA, $30 ---> $C4, $CF
$0687 $FF ---> $CF
$070F $5C, $23 ---> $5F, $DC
$07FD $96 ---> $71

U6:
$0FDC $FF, $FF, $FF ---> $BD, $5C, $23
$0FDF $FF, $FF ---> $C6, $CF
$0FE1 $FF, $FF, $FF ---> $F7, $02, $14
$0FE4 $FF ---> $39
$0FF7 $DB ---> $BB

If your game has U1 and U2 merged into a larger ROM at U2 (i.e. there's no U1), modifications for the larger U2 are as follows:
U2:
$0C12 $CA, $30 ---> $C4, $CF
$0E87 $FF ---> $CF
$0F0F $5C, $23 ---> $5F, $DC
$0FFD $96 ---> $71

#1212 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

It reverses the state of the feature lamps near the left saucer under the plastics that look like non-functioning G.I lamps.
Normally those lamps are off which leaves that area of the playfield being dark. They flash on when the ball enters the tube.
The modification results in those lamps being normally on so the area is lit, and flash off when the ball enters the tube.
Using a hex editor, perform the following changes and program new EPROMs:
offset: old values ---> new values
U1:
U2:
$0412 $CA, $30 ---> $C4, $CF
$0687 $FF ---> $CF
$070F $5C, $23 ---> $5F, $DC
$07FD $96 ---> $71
U6:
$0FDC $FF, $FF, $FF ---> $BD, $5C, $23
$0FDF $FF, $FF ---> $C6, $CF
$0FE1 $FF, $FF, $FF ---> $F7, $02, $14
$0FE4 $FF ---> $39
$0FF7 $DB ---> $BB

Hey now, I can do that in my spare time... like in 2024 or so.

#1213 2 years ago

I'm the first to admit I don't have an electronics background and I get that electrons are pretty dang small. These caps I just got in the mail just seem so much smaller than I anticipated. These are correct?
09D26DC8-B6F5-445C-810B-E6AEC66A4EB6_1_105_c (resized).jpeg09D26DC8-B6F5-445C-810B-E6AEC66A4EB6_1_105_c (resized).jpeg

I swear I don't look like this...
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1214 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

I'd really like to try this. But I do not have a EPROM in U1, I just have 2732 in U2 and U6.
Can you also tell the offsets for that combination?

#1215 2 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

so much smaller than I anticipated. These are correct?

Yes.
As long as there is 473 printed on them, they are right.
When I replaced those capacitors for the first time (they are parallel to several contacts to simulate the MPU a little more time that the contact is closed) I really was astonished that they were so small compared to the ones from the 80s. But things have changed since then, especially in the electronic industry....

#1216 2 years ago

I'm the first to admit I don't have an electronics background and I get that electrons are pretty dang small. These caps I just got in the mail just seem so much smaller than I anticipated. These are correct?

Yep, those are correct.

Caps have really shrank over the years.

If you wanted larger ones, you can sometimes order higher voltage parts, and the size goes up accordingly

#1217 2 years ago
Quoted from Thunfisch:

I'd really like to try this. But I do not have a EPROM in U1, I just have 2732 in U2 and U6.
Can you also tell the offsets for that combination?

Sure, I've edited and added the info to the post above to keep the mod details in a single post. Let us know how it goes.

Quoted from gdonovan:

Hey now, I can do that in my spare time... like in 2024 or so.

Well, you'll probably get to it before I can get my Xenon out of storage..

These caps I just got in the mail just seem so much smaller than I anticipated.

I put similar sized ones I got from China (not from Tayda) into a game of mine and over the course of about 1000 games, the thin leads on three caps broke from vibration.

#1218 2 years ago

A friend from the UK just told me they had a record store day exclusive Xenon 7” on pop bumper blue translucent vinyl. apparently this was released June 2021. He is sending me a copy but it looks like it is still available on the Finders Keepers Bandcamp page.

https://finderskeepersrecords.bandcamp.com/album/xenon

849E2E2A-621D-4D2D-87E0-B2DD2F36FBB8 (resized).png849E2E2A-621D-4D2D-87E0-B2DD2F36FBB8 (resized).png
#1219 2 years ago
Quoted from Kderrick:

A friend from the UK just told me they had a record store day exclusive Xenon 7” on pop bumper blue translucent vinyl. apparently this was released June 2021. He is sending me a copy but it looks like it is still available on the Finders Keepers Bandcamp page.
[quoted image]

Thanks for sharing I love finding stuff like this for pins. I did a Mata Hari restoration at the same time that a comic book series was being released for her. I bought the 5 comics and keep them in the machine.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#1220 2 years ago

Anybody working on BSOS Arduino code for xenon?

#1222 2 years ago

Love my Xenon. The back glass area has amazing eye candy and light show.

#1223 2 years ago

I wouldn’t read to much into that… that auction exists in a vacuum of convenience and dumb money.

#1224 2 years ago

Hardtop completed on spare playfield. Now starts the swap.

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg
#1225 2 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

Hardtop completed on spare playfield. Now starts the swap.

BigAl56 is this your personal machine? Any interesting memories of it back in the old factory days?

#1226 2 years ago

This game and Power Play joined my personal collection last year. I'm collecting games I personally worked on.
Still remember like it was yesterday. I was chatting my my old friend Greg Kmiec the other day. We agreed it was 40 years ago and memories are somewhat fuzzy, but I still for the most part remember just about every wire and where it goes.

We did a panel at Pinball Expo a few years ago where the creation of Xenon was discussed. I was the guy who tossed a second ball on the playfield during a lunch break leading to the last minute conversion to multiball. My 15 minutes or so of Xenon fame.

#1227 2 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

This game and Power Play joined my personal collection last year. I'm collecting games I personally worked on.
Still remember like it was yesterday. I was chatting my my old friend Greg Kmiec the other day. We agreed it was 40 years ago and memories are somewhat fuzzy, but I still for the most part remember just about every wire and where it goes.
We did a panel at Pinball Expo a few years ago where the creation of Xenon was discussed. I was the guy who tossed a second ball on the playfield during a lunch break leading to the last minute conversion to multiball. My 15 minutes or so of Xenon fame.

I love hearing about pinball history. Adding multi ball to xenon was smart. Greg told me a few tidbits about xenon when I was doing my first restore on 2009. And yes it was a xenon. I love this game and I remember how cool it was back in my arcade days of the early 80s.

I lost Greg's email due to a hard drive crash and would love to reconnect with him. Is he on pinside? I will be doing another xenon restore in 2022 with a 2019 cpr pf and will be making a new base cabinet for it. I can't wait to get started.

1 week later
#1228 2 years ago
Quoted from Kderrick:

[quoted image]

How did I miss this post. This is awesome. The one track they have on-line sounds great. I just ordered the vinyl record from the UK (eBay). I'm hoping it sounds just as good in my replacement Sounds Plus / Vocalizer board. Stay tuned.

#1229 2 years ago

New to the Xenon club!

Mine turns on ( some solid backglass+ playfield lights) but the game does not boot. I looked and the MPU it has (alltek) was not getting ANY power whatsoever. It actually has an Alltek solenoid driver board and newly repaired soundboards, so I think the only original boards left are the lamp driver and rectifier boards, both of which seem undamaged but dirty.

Checked the rectifier board underneath and the F3 fuse was blown.

Is there anything else I should consider ordering other than replacement fuses for the Xenon? It does need two posts for the outlanes on each side, but other than that I'm not sure what else would be smart to have on hand.

Thanks so much!!

#1230 2 years ago

Welcome! Believe it or not most of the parts you could ever need are readily available from a few different supply houses and can be on your doorstep in a couple days. Outside of spare bulbs I don’t intentionally keep anything on hand. I wait for something to malfunction, diagnose with the help of this community and attempt a fix. You’ll accumulate plenty of spare parts this way. I’ve since acquired extra solenoid coils, posts, hardware, diodes, capacitors…

#1231 2 years ago

Question for the group: I have an early model machine (with the Bally Survey envelopes and a "marked up" manual for the game with hand written changes. Certainly early in the production.)

I'm swapping the playfield with a new CPR, but the posts are all Clear. Not the Xenon Concentric Blue posts.

The flyer has all Blue (with the hidden Red one, I know), so is there anyone that has seen Clears on this machine as stock?

It's not a big deal (Clear vs. Blue) but was curious as to why every post is different?

#1232 2 years ago
Quoted from jbovenzi:

Question for the group: I have an early model machine (with the Bally Survey envelopes and a "marked up" manual for the game with hand written changes. Certainly early in the production.)
I'm swapping the playfield with a new CPR, but the posts are all Clear. Not the Xenon Concentric Blue posts.
The flyer has all Blue (with the hidden Red one, I know), so is there anyone that has seen Clears on this machine as stock?
It's not a big deal (Clear vs. Blue) but was curious as to why every post is different?

What's the serial number on the cab?

For some reason all xenon with blue posts have faded to a light pink color. At least the ones I have seen. Is this the case with your game or are they actually clear? Maybe someone changed them during the games life who knows.

I have done 2 xenon swaps and installed all new blue posts on each and was happy with results.

#1233 2 years ago

The posts on mine were possibly clear at one point but they were all so yellowed with age they had a deep smokey hue to them. I replaced them with clear, it looks great and helps with the illumination of the game.

#1234 2 years ago

You know, they just might slightly pink. I have subtle color blindness and this might have bypassed my filters.

23546DCE-2AF7-4447-BFDB-27672671B62D (resized).jpeg23546DCE-2AF7-4447-BFDB-27672671B62D (resized).jpeg64F1C2AC-5880-4750-ABDD-58FA83A91DAC (resized).jpeg64F1C2AC-5880-4750-ABDD-58FA83A91DAC (resized).jpeg6631540E-0E2A-477F-BA9E-4F936210F47A (resized).jpeg6631540E-0E2A-477F-BA9E-4F936210F47A (resized).jpegAFE3E622-2FF4-4B39-95B1-AF64071CAAD7 (resized).jpegAFE3E622-2FF4-4B39-95B1-AF64071CAAD7 (resized).jpeg
#1235 2 years ago

I give. How could royal blue fade to light pink? That's a good one.

The serial number is 1008

31A58A4D-DEE5-4048-AAB6-277FDC1FAB33 (resized).jpeg31A58A4D-DEE5-4048-AAB6-277FDC1FAB33 (resized).jpeg
#1236 2 years ago
Quoted from jbovenzi:

[quoted image]

Those look exactly like the ones I recently replaced definitely the blue faded to pinkish
How that works or happens I have no clue seems to be pretty normal though.

#1237 2 years ago
Quoted from jbovenzi:

[quoted image]

With that early serial number I would guess the game came with the standard red posts Bally used on every game before Xenon. I have seen them faded badly, although that's extreme. Just install the blue posts and be done. Buy the shorter 1" posts for spots under plastics, avoid the eventual plastic scratch from the screw head.

#1238 2 years ago
Quoted from jbovenzi:

[quoted image]

It just does. I didn't believe it either, my posts looked just like yours, but when I pulled them all off the playfield a few still had a bit of blueness where they were hidden by rubbers.

#1239 2 years ago

Ok thanks to everyone! I might go all in on the blues. I have a bunch of extra reds, but may restore this to "the flyer spec."

The hint of the smaller size is also good. I appreciate that!

#1240 2 years ago

The posts on mine were possibly clear at one point but they were all so yellowed with age they had a deep smokey hue to them. I replaced them with clear, it looks great and helps with the illumination of the game.

Yeah, these things faded strangely. I had clear ones, pink ones, light blue ones....changed them all out for new blue ones at some point. I imagine the clears look great too.

Also, there should be a single non transparent red post in there somewhere. It is there on purpose, not a mistake.

#1241 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Yeah, these things faded strangely. I had clear ones, pink ones, light blue ones....changed them all out for new blue ones at some point. I imagine the clears look great too.
Also, there should be a single non transparent red post in there somewhere. It is there on purpose, not a mistake.

Yes he mentioned that in post #1231. If you didn't know this is how Greg Kmiec signed his games since Bally would not let him sign the PF.

#1242 2 years ago
Quoted from jbovenzi:

[quoted image]

Inferior dye I suppose. They have an odor to them as well. Your PF and cabinet look really nice. Is there any other differences from yours compared to later in the run? Just curious. Can you post pics of the survey and marked up manual?

#1243 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Can you post pics of the survey and marked up manual?

Better yet…send scans to Jay at IPDB.

#1244 2 years ago

Does anyone happen to know the sizing on these metal posts (in front of the ball guide wire) ? I cant seem to find an exact substitute.
Wondering if this would work as replacements : https://www.pinballlife.com/1-78-tall-metal-post-with-10-32-threaded-base-15430.html

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1245 2 years ago
Quoted from alyssa:

Does anyone happen to know the sizing on these metal posts (in front of the ball guide wire) ? I cant seem to find an exact substitute.
Wondering if this would work as replacements : https://www.pinballlife.com/1-78-tall-metal-post-with-10-32-threaded-base-15430.html
[quoted image][quoted image]

That will work but you will need to enlarge the hole in pf. I have a bunch of spares if you need some.

#1246 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Inferior dye I suppose. They have an odor to them as well. Your PF and cabinet look really nice. Is there any other differences from yours compared to later in the run? Just curious. Can you post pics of the survey and marked up manual?

The playfield is easy. I acquired a new CPR from a fellow Pinsider for a PF swap! Thanks for asking about that one.

The game was stored for decades inside a storage facility. This might be why the posts faded. Years of thermal cycling probably did it. Backbox and cabinet look pretty darn good for its age. The original operator had it on route, then pulled it to storage. Pretty much untouched for quite a long time.

The survey is technically the Bally Test Game Report that you fold into an envelope form. My mistake in calling it a survey.
Hand written notes on the separate paper would indicate to me that the manual was just not in final form. Or maybe it is, but there is a lot of setting information here.

Original Warranty card, slingshot mylar, and all the apron cards still there. Pictures are posted.

I have owned a Xenon in the past, so I guess I need to see the original pf if there are any differences. I do know that the middle of the original is blown out like so many fields of that era. I did get an extra used pf because I was going to do a hardtop, but then the CPR came up.

So I will have two extra used playfields in case anyone needs to do their hardtop!

IMG_2125 (resized).jpegIMG_2125 (resized).jpegIMG_2126 (resized).jpegIMG_2126 (resized).jpegIMG_2127 (resized).jpegIMG_2127 (resized).jpegIMG_2128 (resized).jpegIMG_2128 (resized).jpegIMG_2129 (resized).jpegIMG_2129 (resized).jpegIMG_2130 (resized).jpegIMG_2130 (resized).jpegIMG_2131 (resized).jpegIMG_2131 (resized).jpegIMG_2132 (resized).jpegIMG_2132 (resized).jpeg
#1247 2 years ago

And I'm not the first to show the Bally Test Game Reports. It was asked about in this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/skyrocket-fans-and-owners-club-afternoon-delight/page/2#post-6457995

#1248 2 years ago
Quoted from jbovenzi:

The playfield is easy. I acquired a new CPR from a fellow Pinsider for a PF swap! Thanks for asking about that one.
The game was stored for decades inside a storage facility. This might be why the posts faded. Years of thermal cycling probably did it. Backbox and cabinet look pretty darn good for its age. The original operator had it on route, then pulled it to storage. Pretty much untouched for quite a long time.
The survey is technically the Bally Test Game Report that you fold into an envelope form. My mistake in calling it a survey.
Hand written notes on the separate paper would indicate to me that the manual was just not in final form. Or maybe it is, but there is a lot of setting information here.
Original Warranty card, slingshot mylar, and all the apron cards still there. Pictures are posted.
I have owned a Xenon in the past, so I guess I need to see the original pf if there are any differences. I do know that the middle of the original is blown out like so many fields of that era. I did get an extra used pf because I was going to do a hardtop, but then the CPR came up.
So I will have two extra used playfields in case anyone needs to do their hardtop!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Interesting, thanks for sharing all the photos. I'm on my 3rd Xenon, last one bought as a complete project that I have yet to start after 2 years. My first Xenon from 2009 was my first restore and first PF swap. I learned a ton since then. My second one was like yours cosmetically and was undocumented HUO. Perfect cab and back glasses but the owner never installed the full pf Mylar and left it in the cab rolled up. He never changed the balls or waxed the PF so the PF had serious paint loss. The boards were mint except the MPU since the owner didn't know about battery leakage. It was sent to Twobits for repair at one point. But I threw a CPR in that game and sold about 7 years ago. It had some paperwork but nothing like yours though the "goody bag" was still there with the coinbox too. It's a game I should have never sold but I gotta keep feeding my habit of buying pins!

It was exciting to me when I did the first Xenon, being new to the hobby and getting to exchange emails with the guy that designed this game.

#1249 2 years ago

Enjoying playing Xenon daily. Still dialing it in and making adjustments.

Sometimes the ball in play hits the gate and the locked ball falls out onto the playfield. What do I adjust?

#1250 2 years ago

Received this also:

5E1F4D77-A2DD-4764-AF3B-492A7C5E9FF2 (resized).jpeg5E1F4D77-A2DD-4764-AF3B-492A7C5E9FF2 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
There are 2,258 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-clubmembers-onlytry-xeeeenon/page/25?hl=legtod2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.