• Latest reply 5 days ago by legtod2
  • Topic is favorited by 73 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1147 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1149 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 13-36-15 KAIWEETS KWS-105 5 in 1 Wire Stripping Tool Electrical Wire Pliers with Screw Cutter (resized)
WIN_20240213_155205 (resized).JPG
IMG_9722 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9691 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9568 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9563 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9499 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9238 (resized).jpeg
20240131_182010 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240127_194309288 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231208_043805742 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 10.09.14 AM (resized).png

There are 2,258 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 46.
#551 3 years ago

Nice job! Blows mine away.

#552 3 years ago
Quoted from zebulon:

So here's my take on the idea 1st put forward by dothedoo
I used my control circuit from the serial addressable pop bumper design and coded up a quick pattern. There's no interaction with anything from the mpu, just an easy add-on (power comes from the main GI rail on the XENON logo at the top of the light board).

Wow.. that looks phenominal. Are the light strips available like that, or did you build it? I like it better than the flashing, as there is already so much going on, the smooth transition fits really well.

#553 3 years ago

Thanks. I'm pretty happy with it.

The strips are controlled by their own board. I actually have enough parts left to do a few more if anyone is interested. I'll put another one together tomorrow and post some pics of what it is.

It's easy to install, stick on the strips, clip the power wires to the GI circuit wires and cable tie the harness to the existing harness on the back of the lightboard.

#554 3 years ago
Quoted from zebulon:

So here's my take on the idea 1st put forward by dothedoo
I used my control circuit from the serial addressable pop bumper design and coded up a quick pattern. There's no interaction with anything from the mpu, just an easy add-on (power comes from the main GI rail on the XENON logo at the top of the light board).

Really cool mod ! You should have two blinking bulbs for the eyes, like the original.

#555 3 years ago
Quoted from zebulon:

Thanks. I'm pretty happy with it.
The strips are controlled by their own board. I actually have enough parts left to do a few more if anyone is interested. I'll put another one together tomorrow and post some pics of what it is.
It's easy to install, stick on the strips, clip the power wires to the GI circuit wires and cable tie the harness to the existing harness on the back of the lightboard.

I'd be interested in one of those....that looks cool.

#556 3 years ago
Quoted from Manu2:

Really cool mod ! You should have two blinking bulbs for the eyes, like the original.

Can't say that I've ever seen one with blinking eyes, but it would be easy enough to do.

So having stuck, restuck, and re re restuck the lightstrips to the light board I finally gave in and printed off some strips that I can attach the ledstrips to for a more permanent mount. I printed a case for the board as well since it just makes things look neater.

Here's a pic of what's included ....

IMG_1254 (resized).JPGIMG_1254 (resized).JPG
#557 3 years ago

My Xenon is long long gone, might have been the first SS game I ever bought back in the 80s. Wish I'd kept it, mylared pf and everything. Anyway an interesting thing was when I got it, it had a little bluish-colored paper-backed rectangle of foil over the 'Bally' logo, purposely cut to cover it perfectly, stuck with tape behind it. And this was behind the outer clear glass so somebody would have had to go to a little trouble to put it there (or remove it, which I did). Only thing I could think of is that it had been used in a TV show or movie or something and they had to cover it up like putting tape over the label of a beer can. But if that was it, why not just stick it on the outer glass? Any other ideas? I still wonder about it.

#558 3 years ago
Quoted from zebulon:

Can't say that I've ever seen one with blinking eyes, but it would be easy enough to do.
So having stuck, restuck, and re re restuck the lightstrips to the light board I finally gave in and printed off some strips that I can attach the ledstrips to for a more permanent mount. I printed a case for the board as well since it just makes things look neater.
Here's a pic of what's included ....[quoted image]

I would be interested in one of these.

#559 3 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

My Xenon is long long gone, might have been the first SS game I ever bought back in the 80s. Wish I'd kept it, mylared pf and everything. Anyway an interesting thing was when I got it, it had a little bluish-colored paper-backed rectangle of foil over the 'Bally' logo, purposely cut to cover it perfectly, stuck with tape behind it. And this was behind the outer clear glass so somebody would have had to go to a little trouble to put it there (or remove it, which I did). Only thing I could think of is that it had been used in a TV show or movie or something and they had to cover it up like putting tape over the label of a beer can. But if that was it, why not just stick it on the outer glass? Any other ideas? I still wonder about it.

That sounds logical and with you being in Ca. this is even more possible. Check out these movies from this list. It's cool because it gives you the exact time frame the pins are show so you won't need to watch the whole movie.
I found 2 Xenons page 1.

http://www.pingeek.com/film/film.htm

http://www.pingeek.com/film/film2.htm

#560 3 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I'd be interested in one of those....that looks cool.

Quoted from Zablon:

I would be interested in one of these.

I started a separate thread to keep from cluttering up this one ..... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-ss-mods-currently-xenon#post-5568304

Happy to do some up for you guys, if you can give me a couple of days to get some parts printed I'll be able to ship them out. Drop me a pm to get on the list.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

#561 3 years ago

Were the plasma pop bumpers difficult to install or much like a regular Bally pop bumper?

Tips or tricks?

Thanks!

#562 3 years ago

Does anyone have a good picture of the trough switch / shooter lane lights on their Xenon? I'm putting mine back together but I'm baffled by the way mine was wired before tear down. According to the schematics, the switch should be White/Yellow and Black/Orange which is the way the switch was wired before...but why is that Gray/White (or Light blue/gray) wire doing on the Normally Closed contact leg of the switch? And where is the other wire for the two lamps? Thanks for the help!

IMG_2682 (resized).JPGIMG_2682 (resized).JPG
#563 3 years ago

Here’s what I have.

4AD4CC1E-D4C9-40FC-BA6E-BBB40D2A08CF (resized).jpeg4AD4CC1E-D4C9-40FC-BA6E-BBB40D2A08CF (resized).jpeg
#564 3 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Here’s what I have.[quoted image]

Thanks so much - that makes much more sense. I like that metal shield on top of the trough - I have an early run Xenon that used a plastic shield. I only have one speaker in the cabinet as well whereas most people seem to have two.

IMG_2647 (resized).JPGIMG_2647 (resized).JPG
#565 3 years ago

Mine has two 4 ohm speakers in series, equivalent to your 8 ohm speaker. Not sure why they did this.

#566 3 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Thanks so much - that makes much more sense. I like that metal shield on top of the trough - I have an early run Xenon that used a plastic shield. I only have one speaker in the cabinet as well whereas most people seem to have two.[quoted image]

I would think the later Xenon would have one speaker. I had an early Flash Gordon that used the Xenon sound and speech boards, it also had the 2 speakers. Later FG used the Squawk and Talk, single speaker and xenon was released just before FG. But who knows! Maybe they just used what ever was lying around at the time. Your serial number should also tell you weather early or later production.

#567 3 years ago

My Flash has 2 speakers and squawk and talk.

#568 3 years ago

At the time Bally was making these pinballs, the company had several lines
of production. They were contracting anybody to supply them with parts.
8 ohm speakers is normal for the amp... run out of 8 ohm speakers
and a supply chain has 4 ohm speakers... great! just double them up
to equal 8 ohms and the production line isn't ground to a halt for
lack of parts. Etc,etc,etc.

#569 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

My Flash has 2 speakers and squawk and talk.

I always wondered if the Sounds Plus and Vocalizer set up are interchangeable with S&T without re-wiring the connector.

#570 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I always wondered if the Sounds Plus and Vocalizer set up are interchangeable with S&T without re-wiring the connector.

I know the early Bally sound board connector is compatible with other
sound boards Bally did... I had to add an extra wire to test a later style
sound board inside a Super Sonic.
For the longest time I could not figure out why their is a +48 volt line
to the connector for the S&T board connector inside an EBD.
I would double check everything if you are testing other sound boards
using another generation machines.

#571 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

According to the schematics, the connector to the Sounds Plus board doesn't have the G.I wire used by the S&T board to create the -5V supply for the TMS5200 speech chip.

Although the picture of the Sounds Plus connector earlier in the thread shows otherwise with the heavy orange wire at pin 7:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-clubmembers-onlytry-xeeeenon/page/3#post-4085468

Quoted from vec-tor:

For the longest time I could not figure out why their is a +48 volt line to the connector for the S&T board connector inside an EBD.

FWIW, you might notice it makes the connector compatible with the earlier -32/-50 sound boards.. Of course it's another matter of the MPU board ROMset supporting it.

#572 3 years ago

The first Bally sound board needed only 5v and ground. Bally digital sound boards needed 12v DC and S&T needed GI voltage to create -5v. The signalling remained the same though for all the different board types.

#573 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

According to the schematics, the connector to the Sounds Plus board doesn't have the G.I wire used by the S&T board to create the -5V supply for the TMS5200 speech chip.
Although the picture of the Sounds Plus connector earlier in the thread shows otherwise with the heavy orange wire at pin 7:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-clubmembers-onlytry-xeeeenon/page/3#post-4085468

FWIW, you might notice it makes the connector compatible with the earlier -32/-50 sound boards.. Of course it's another matter of the MPU board ROMset supporting it.

Speaking of the Tms5200, I remember they were getting scarce a few years ago. Is there a viable replacement for it yet?

#574 3 years ago
Quoted from Nhpolarbear:

Were the plasma pop bumpers difficult to install or much like a regular Bally pop bumper?
Tips or tricks?
Thanks!

I installed them during the playfield swap. The holes to pass thru the wiring in the plastics that come with them I did have to open up a bit to a larger diameter. Be careful to not drop any of plasma part. I did and cracked it, expensive mistake. Otherwise pretty straightforward.

#575 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Speaking of the Tms5200, I remember they were getting scarce a few years ago. Is there a viable replacement for it yet?

nope

#576 3 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

The first Bally sound board needed only 5v and ground. Bally digital sound boards needed 12v DC and S&T needed GI voltage to create -5v. The signalling remained the same though for all the different board types.

which were the first? the -32 and -50. As you know they used the solenoid voltage to create 12v to run the amps.

#577 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

One of my todo things in the distant future is to hopefully re-encode the speech ROMs to work with a TMS5220 chip which replaced the TMS5200 and are still easily/cheaply available. I briefly looked at it two years ago and it's not trivial.

Who knows, someone by then might come up with a sound implementation that simulates or emulates it.

#578 3 years ago

Just pulled this out of a barn and back from the dead. Only thing not working is the insert chasing lights. Has altek, paid nothing for it just some labor helping clean a mess up.

9B75A642-2A9C-4A67-A306-B6AFFF1CEDBD (resized).jpeg9B75A642-2A9C-4A67-A306-B6AFFF1CEDBD (resized).jpeg
#579 3 years ago
Quoted from Spudgunman:

Just pulled this out of a barn and back from the dead. Only thing not working is the insert chasing lights. Has altek, paid nothing for it just some labor helping clean a mess up.[quoted image]

Wow, in a barn and it still booted and the back glass is good! Amazing.

#580 3 years ago

I thought I saw a schematic for the light strip for the tube but I can't find it - anyone have a source?

Also I thought there was someone who had the tubes remade and laser etched in transparent and blue - are they still around?

Love my Xenon. Great era of Bally games.

#581 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

I thought I saw a schematic for the light strip for the tube but I can't find it - anyone have a source?

The tube light strip schematic is the second last page of the Manual and Schematics on IPDB. And the board diagram is electronic page 40 (paper page 36) of the same PDF document.

#582 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

That sounds logical and with you being in Ca. this is even more possible. Check out these movies from this list. It's cool because it gives you the exact time frame the pins are show so you won't need to watch the whole movie.
I found 2 Xenons page 1.

Looking at a screenshot from Graveyard Shift, it's not my Xenon cuz I can see the blurry red 'Bally'. Then again I took the piece of foil off so maybe it is.

#583 3 years ago
Quoted from Spudgunman:

Just pulled this out of a barn and back from the dead. Only thing not working is the insert chasing lights. Has altek, paid nothing for it just some labor helping clean a mess up.[quoted image]

What a great deal!

Backglass chasers are controlled by the Aux. lamp driver. Reflow the solder joints on the board, they're often cracked.

#584 3 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

What a great deal!
Backglass chasers are controlled by the Aux. lamp driver. Reflow the solder joints on the board, they're often cracked.

Thanks, got it up and running. I am missing two posts that are blocking the spinner and the matching post under the tube area any one got the number for them

#585 3 years ago
Quoted from Spudgunman:

the matching post under the tube area any one got the number for them

Are you talking about the two spool style white posts that support entrance of the tube?
If so, Bally part No. C-942.
Not documented in parts catalog.
( I called Bally back in the 1980's for the part number ).

#586 3 years ago
Quoted from Spudgunman:

Thanks, got it up and running. I am missing two posts that are blocking the spinner and the matching post under the tube area any one got the number for them

Mini post?
B98D9019-410E-43FE-91C8-10793A0536E2 (resized).jpegB98D9019-410E-43FE-91C8-10793A0536E2 (resized).jpeg

148B5395-3AC3-4D15-B34A-0463EA0F3F2A (resized).jpeg148B5395-3AC3-4D15-B34A-0463EA0F3F2A (resized).jpeg
#587 3 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Mini post?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Yes those they 8-32 by 1/2 inch?

#589 3 years ago

Wasn’t listed / I assume I know the part it looks like a 8-32 .5”

#590 3 years ago
Quoted from Spudgunman:

i have used DE-530-500500 $3.08ea

#591 3 years ago

Great score on that Xenon! Congrats, looks to be in massively better shape than other 'Free' pinball machines I've seen advertised.

-Hans

#592 3 years ago
Quoted from Spudgunman:

Do yourself a favor and buy the #10 machine thread mini posts, drill all the way through the playfield, use a washer top and bottom and secure with a nut and lock washer. Your playfield will love you.

97C10C09-2650-4959-B87E-23FFE2EF567C (resized).jpeg97C10C09-2650-4959-B87E-23FFE2EF567C (resized).jpeg
#593 3 years ago

On the list, I got a cpr but won’t do the swap for a year or so will add this to my pbr list

#594 3 years ago

I too replaced that post with something chunkier that I found in my scrap box.

shop-02 (resized).jpgshop-02 (resized).jpg

#595 3 years ago
Quoted from JeffZee:

[quoted image]

The Bally mini post & rubber ring assembly part No.
AS-2836-1 was heavily flawed.
They all, for the most part, broke on Xenon.
The part has an 8-32 thread machine screw base.
Amended part No. 0365-00700-00XF,
this part has a 10-32 thread machine screw base.

#596 3 years ago
Quoted from JeffZee:

[quoted image]

That’s a WPC-style post, which is fine, but you can get the same performance and keep the OEM look if that’s important to you by using the type of post you have laying next to it with 10-32 thread.

#597 3 years ago
Quoted from JeffZee:

[quoted image]

Yea I likely do the same your post is bent and mine two were broken. Seems like a common flaw

#598 3 years ago

I don't like using incorrect parts, but I also don't much like the washer look. The chunkier post covered the existing hole damage without a washer. The metal post to the left of the tube ramp was even worse. The hole was so blown out that a previous owner had switched to a plastic post. The playfield was worn to the point of no going back so I stuck with it.

shop-05 (resized).jpgshop-05 (resized).jpg

#599 3 years ago
Quoted from JeffZee:

I don't like using incorrect parts, but I also don't much like the washer look. The chunkier post covered the existing hole damage without a washer. The metal post to the left of the tube ramp was even worse. The hole was so blown out that a previous owner had switched to a plastic post. The playfield was worn to the point of no going back so I stuck with it.
[quoted image]

Not bad at all

#600 3 years ago
Quoted from JeffZee:

[quoted image]

Not much else you can do when the original post rips a big chunk out of the playfield.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
Machine - For Sale
Wichita Falls, TX
There are 2,258 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-clubmembers-onlytry-xeeeenon/page/12?hl=edhess and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.