Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230304_185226 (resized).jpg
20230304_185219 (resized).jpg
20230304_185136 (resized).jpg
IMG_1147 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1149 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 13-36-15 KAIWEETS KWS-105 5 in 1 Wire Stripping Tool Electrical Wire Pliers with Screw Cutter (resized)
WIN_20240213_155205 (resized).JPG
IMG_9722 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9691 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9568 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9563 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9499 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9238 (resized).jpeg
20240131_182010 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240127_194309288 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231208_043805742 (resized).jpg
There are 2,263 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 46.
#501 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I want to see one of these installed in person. Most of my pf is pretty nice because it was factory (or operator early on) mylared but the standard wear is there between the flippers and most of the inserts look like they are as old as they are. Seems like unless I also replaced all the inserts I'd still have that problem even with the hardtop so I don't think it would be worth the effort as opposed to buying a NOS or repro PF and doing a full swap.

I would never hardtop a nice, restorable playfield. It would be a shame to peel the mylar and sand off all that nice artwork underneath. In your case I would either restore it or swap it and sell the original.

#502 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I would never hardtop a nice, restorable playfield. It would be a shame to peel the mylar and sand off all that nice artwork underneath. In your case I would either restore it or swap it and sell the original.

I've tried to find someone to do touch-up for the worn areas but no-one wants to touch it. The inserts are pretty bad with the typical cracking but it plays well and looks pretty good as long as you don't look too closely.

#503 4 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

Thanks Quench (as usual) It was early in the AM with that post and I must not had enough caffeine.

Did you ever cover the parts in masking tape and make flat patterns? Would still like to have someone make these and flat patterns would be great.
Mike

1 week later
#504 4 years ago

I'm working on a Xenon and found an orange wire that seems to go nowhere on the backbox door. I've traced it to J4 pin 9 on the power supply pcb. I'm trying to figure out if this wire is supposed to be connected to something since I can't see anywhere that looks like it may have been cut from or was it a factory oops that was cut short or didn't need to be there. Its just seems odd to me that its runs all the way to that point and is just seemingly cut off for no reason.

IMG_3720 (resized).JPGIMG_3720 (resized).JPG

#505 4 years ago
Quoted from 20eyes:

I'm working on a Xenon and found an orange wire that seems to go nowhere on the backbox door. I've traced it to J4 pin 9 on the power supply pcb. I'm trying to figure out if this wire is supposed to be connected to something since I can't see anywhere that looks like it may have been cut from or was it a factory oops that was cut short or didn't need to be there. Its just seems odd to me that its runs all the way to that point and is just seemingly cut off for no reason.
[quoted image]

I had 2 prior Xenons and they both had the orange mystery wire, don't worry about it? Is your game having issues?

#506 4 years ago
Quoted from 20eyes:

I've traced it to J4 pin 9 on the power supply pcb.

According to the schematics, the J4P9 on the power supply board is a parallel of pin 8, and both are intended to feed the general illumination bus in the backbox with 6.5VAC.

Here is the schematic, you'll want to look at page 49/54: https://www.ipdb.org/files/2821/Bally_1980_Xenon_Manual_And_Schematics.pdf

#507 4 years ago

I have not yet powered it up I just picked this up and happened to notice a wire that looks to go nowhere and i'm trying to figure it all out.

#508 4 years ago

Its a GI wire. There are two each. The Orange should be Soldered to the same wire bus in parallel with the Red.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#509 4 years ago

scanned my pf to fix art/attempt to print and do the decal method people have been doing. messing around with changing the colors....thoughts??

12345 (resized).PNG12345 (resized).PNG
4 weeks later
#510 4 years ago

How many posts are there total? Mine are pink, but several are missing

#511 4 years ago

Just a heads up. CPR put Xenon backglasses up on their website last night. Yes they are finally shipping. Think mine might be the first out the door!.

#512 4 years ago
Quoted from EdHess:

Just a heads up. CPR put Xenon backglasses up on their website last night. Yes they are finally shipping. Think mine might be the first out the door!.

#513 4 years ago
Quoted from EdHess:

Post pics when you get it! Assuming these don't have the mirrors? Is there anywhere to get those?

#514 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Assuming these don't have the mirrors? Is there anywhere to get those?

the mirrors are available on eBay, However, you can remove your original mirrors very easily as they were originally put on by Bally with double sided tape and after 40 years the adhesive really doesn't hold very well anymore.....

#515 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Post pics when you get it! Assuming these don't have the mirrors? Is there anywhere to get those?

I dont know if they come with the mirrors. If not any local PEP Boys or parts store should have the correct diameter. peel and stick.

#516 4 years ago

Probably listing my Xenon.
An all original beauty except for the Allteks.
PM if interested, will ship.

#517 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Yes, please post some pictures and if at all possible with it next to an original for comparison.

#518 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Yes, please post some pictures and if at all possible with it next to an original for comparison.

I talked to Greg Kmiec years ago about Xenon, he told me interesting facts. Those mirrors are just stick on mirrors that were sold in auto parts store back then. It's a convex blind spot mirror. If somebody could measure the diameter of these and post it, that would be great. Mine is buried at the moment. I'm guessing around 4 inches. Here's the closest I found to 4 inches.

https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-25613-Round-Convex-Mirror/dp/B004MDZ5NI/ref=wl_mb_wl_huc_mrai_1_dp

I was thinking of changing it up somehow with a custom mirror. Maybe something facetted or different color such as blue or purple, but would be difficult to find. I have a nice glass already so I haven't been that motivated to search.

Another note, these mirrors were given out at show as a promotional item. The had a xenon sticker placed over them. Pretty rare to find but I got one.

#519 4 years ago

Sorry for the typos,
given out at shows, They had a xenon sticker placed over them...

#520 4 years ago

My curiosity got the best of me and I dug out my xenon. I'm lucky that my inner glass is perfect still. I also like the fact that you don't need a lift channel, only for the outer glass. So the mirror is 3 3/4 so the amazon mirror should be a close enough match. I also found one on Napa:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/GRO12014?cid=paidsearch_shopping_dcoe_google&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9ZzzBRCKARIsANwXaeI5k4s-aqwh_FO4qQG0Z52mV0oe6vO4Im3pYg1D25vvH9iUsPEamjIaArQEEALw_wcB

#521 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Another note, these mirrors were given out at show as a promotional item. The had a xenon sticker placed over them. Pretty rare to find but I got one.

I remember seeing those promotional mirrors.
Excellent that you have one.

#522 4 years ago

Yea, I bought a 10/10 NOS set from a pinsider last year, but I might want one of these to make a frame out of. I just love this BG.

#523 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

I remember seeing those promotional mirrors.
Excellent that you have one.

Yeah it's one of my favorite pinball collectibles. I also have the Xenon poster and had professionally framed. I'll post a pic one of these days.

#524 4 years ago

New Backglass arrived today. No Mirrors as expected. A very tight fit and I installed leaving the top plastic trim off as I didn’t want to force it. Appears to be zero clearance remaining. Box may not be a perfect square from its age. I suggest you test a few times and get a helper to hold the box steady. Color of the girl in the middle varies from the original a bit. Doesn’t bother me whatsoever. While removing the originals a large chuck of paint fell off. So this arrived just in time pics follow:

07C61FB9-1449-44DF-A81D-AC51304F3F00 (resized).jpeg07C61FB9-1449-44DF-A81D-AC51304F3F00 (resized).jpeg162CFEA7-8E7F-4342-91D2-00F48C9BD870 (resized).jpeg162CFEA7-8E7F-4342-91D2-00F48C9BD870 (resized).jpeg7740FED1-F7CF-456B-A0D2-663A4A12D736 (resized).jpeg7740FED1-F7CF-456B-A0D2-663A4A12D736 (resized).jpeg
#525 4 years ago

And with that said my modded total restoration is now complete!

626D2D5E-AFC4-452D-A56D-F7699FA8C86F (resized).jpeg626D2D5E-AFC4-452D-A56D-F7699FA8C86F (resized).jpegB3C6FED7-84C3-48F4-8CB2-DF5ECB907953 (resized).jpegB3C6FED7-84C3-48F4-8CB2-DF5ECB907953 (resized).jpegBB77B3DF-0309-4BB7-A6D9-275DFA972230 (resized).jpegBB77B3DF-0309-4BB7-A6D9-275DFA972230 (resized).jpegC7298BB0-9D46-4DE2-9840-3CFB2EAB22EA (resized).jpegC7298BB0-9D46-4DE2-9840-3CFB2EAB22EA (resized).jpeg
#526 4 years ago

The yellow is to weak. Looks good...
I wish CPR would test their inks and adjust
against an original OEM part.

#527 4 years ago

Hey I recognize that apron.

The glass looks good, I'm anxious to see one in person.

#528 4 years ago

Did they turn green ink into blue *again?* Twilight Zone, Addams Family, Meteor, 8 Ball Deluxe, now Xenon too? Take the blue dropper away from them!!!

#529 4 years ago

This photo was taken nearly two years ago - both glasses came out of old machines. Wide variance of what shipped from factory. Glass on the right has more detail, glass on the left has more yellow. Click to zoom in.

IMG_0002a.jpgIMG_0002a.jpg

#530 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

This photo was taken nearly two years ago - both glasses came out of old machines. ]

Is it possible it is just due to fading? I know some of my machines, particularly where they lived their prvious life in the sun, have noticable fade / discoloration from the light, but it is interesting how it affects different pigments more.

#531 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

This photo was taken nearly two years ago - both glasses came out of old machines. Wide variance of what shipped from factory. Glass on the right has more detail, glass on the left has more yellow. Click to zoom in.
[quoted image]

That's interesting. I wonder if the one on the right has faded. I also noticed that the woman at the bottom seems to be looking left on the left glass and right on the right glass or am I just crazy?

#532 4 years ago
Quoted from EdHess:

And with that said my modded total restoration is now complete![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice work! Where did you get the bumper caps?

#533 4 years ago
Quoted from EdHess:

And with that said my modded total restoration is now complete!

Those pop bumpers are wild. I like the extra lighting on the middle PF, it seems like the cover might obscure the view a bit tho?

Anyway, Nice work, congratualtions on completing it!

#534 4 years ago

I think koji and I are both agreeing here, jinx!

#535 4 years ago
Quoted from koji:

Is it possible it is just due to fading?

Anythings possible, I don't know the history of these glasses. The right side glass still has yellow in key areas and since red is usually the fastest fading color and it's still vibrant on that glass, I tend to think these were manufactured by different suppliers.

Quoted from Lovef2k:

I also noticed that the woman at the bottom seems to be looking left on the left glass and right on the right glass or am I just crazy?

Interesting 3D effect!

#536 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

The yellow is to weak. Looks good...
I wish CPR would test their inks and adjust
against an original OEM part.

I spoke with the guy that did the color work. Told me that when they scanned oem artwork that due to the mirroring everything came out black or dark. So they literally have to do each color individually. Its not like scanning an original and hitting print on your computer. Sounded like a long tedious process.

#537 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Nice work! Where did you get the bumper caps?

They are plasma bumpers from lightedpinballmods.com

#538 4 years ago
Quoted from koji:

I like the extra lighting on the middle PF, it seems like the cover might obscure the view a bit tho?
Anyway, Nice work, congratualtions on completing it!

The extra lighting is a mix or lighted led blue posts (forget were I got them) and dimming leds from lermods.com. you will find them in their Dialed-In mods section. They have an adjustable fade in/out. Lighted flippers add a little bit also.

The Apron artwork came from dothedoo who posted above. I simply took flat plastic, cut and bent to size, it does not restrict view as its identical shape and size of the metal apron top panel. Angle of the camera is what obstructed the view.

#539 4 years ago

I had 6 LED COB lights attached to the top post on my slings for a while. Didn’t affect the view at all.

#540 4 years ago
Quoted from EdHess:

I spoke with the guy that did the color work. Told me that when they scanned oem artwork that due to the mirroring everything came out black or dark. So they literally have to do each color individually. Its not like scanning an original and hitting print on your computer. Sounded like a long tedious process.

Yea.. I know color separation is not fun...
O.K. So they know their is a problem; do to the mirroring.
So why didn't they use a masking fluid or Liquid Frisket?
Or at least give it a try? I know some parts would be a pain to do...
But they could have experimented to see if a solution could be achieved.
I don't know if they can scan the back glass all lighted up so that the depth of the colors
could be better registered... rather than unlighted.
I read that the problem CPR has is making a copy of a copy causes a degradation of detail.
I guess it is what it is.

#541 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Yea.. I know color separation is not fun...
O.K. So they know their is a problem; do to the mirroring.
So why didn't they use a masking fluid or Liquid Frisket?
Or at least give it a try? I know some parts would be a pain to do...
But they could have experimented to see if a solution could be achieved.
I don't know if they can scan the back glass all lighted up so that the depth of the colors
could be better registered... rather than unlighted.
I read that the problem CPR has is making a copy of a copy causes a degradation of detail.
I guess it is what it is.

Its not a perfect match to the original. But Im just thankful somebody makes a replacement for the 40 year old backglass. And you know what... Looks pretty damn good anyway as the way they made it.

#542 4 years ago

I lucked out, I bought a project xenon at Pinfest last year and the glass is perfect. The outer glass was replaced with smoked pexi. Bought another head with a good outer glass and the wood is in better shape.

#543 4 years ago
Quoted from EdHess:

When they did Meteor a few months back they denied they ever had trouble with mirrors and claimed the original/NOS was definitely blue in the mirrored area. So frustrating.

#544 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

[quoted image]

Any chance one of those is a reproduction done by someone else years ago? Is this the first time anyone has reproduced this backglass?? I don't doubt there was some variance in colors in the original runs as they were all hand-screened over a period of months while the game was in production but that seems like a pretty stark difference. Agreed that it's great they are making these available and it does look pretty good, just curious.

#545 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Any chance one of those is a reproduction done by someone else years ago?

I don't know the history of those glasses other than they both came out of ex German machines that were imported probably 5 odd years ago and likely had been sitting idle for years beforehand. I wouldn't imagine someone installing a repro glass in one of these machines that were both tired. Both those glasses had delamination. If BigAl56 is watching, maybe he can comment on Bally backglass suppliers at the time.
But anything's possible.

#546 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Yes I had a couple of those mirrors packed away that I scarfed up at a show. I sold them on ebay a few years ago when I was downsizing. They are ordinary concave truck blind spot mirrors. Its the decal that makes it a Xenon mirror. You could probably recreate them by printing on decal paper.

#547 4 years ago

Color variations seem to be all the rage on pinside recently. Read the CPR Viking glass thread.

My family has been in the offset printing business for decades (not silkscreening like backglasses were originally made) but the plan and technique is essentially the same. I feel that I have some expertise in this field to offer my opinion based on experience.

This is a four-color process glass. There has been a lot of discussion about color changes in Bally backglasses. These are incredibly small dots of color put together to create a hue. If the glass or screen are misaligned even by thousands of an inch, color variations will occur. This is due to the colors overlapping behind the 1st screen, 2nd screen, and 3rd screen. Bally was able to make these type of backglasses in CMYK, or four passes. Other discreet color backglasses sometimes have 6 or 8 different colors. This saved Bally money, and also increased the contrast of the images they could produce. Win Win at the time.

#548 4 years ago

I picked up a working Xenon with some playfield wear with the intention of putting a hardtop on it. It has an alltek board in there for the MPU. I don't think I am going to be able to get to it for a while. Anyone interested in one? I would just be looking to get my money back out of it.

1 week later
#549 4 years ago

Posted on classified ads but I will post here too. Looking for Tube light strip and metal covers (covers are at the start of the tube). Here are pics. Please contact me if you have a working or non working strip, I can repair it. Thanks

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/93831

xenon tube light covers (resized).jpgxenon tube light covers (resized).jpgxenon tube lights (resized).jpgxenon tube lights (resized).jpg
#550 4 years ago

So here's my take on the idea 1st put forward by dothedoo

I used my control circuit from the serial addressable pop bumper design and coded up a quick pattern. There's no interaction with anything from the mpu, just an easy add-on (power comes from the main GI rail on the XENON logo at the top of the light board).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

There are 2,263 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-clubmembers-onlytry-xeeeenon/page/11?hl=edhess and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.