• Latest reply 7 years ago by thedefog
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

I started with a simple problem, two sets of bulbs only light in Test mode. When checking connections and swapping chips on the MPU I lost half of the sounds. The audio that does play (voices and a boing sound) are full of static and occasionally stutter. I did not touch either of the sound boards.

I read other posts about similar audio issues and I am more than willing to re-cap, but what could have triggered this? And for my education, what role does the MPU play in driving the audio? Is it possible I damaged something on the MPU that is causing this? Oh, and my bulbs still dont light! (The two at Ball serve and two on the left side, one by the small band tied to one in the amber tube).

Thanks for any advice or direction.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#2 7 years ago

if you removed the battery or ram you probably reset the sound settings. there is a software setting (don't remember which number it is) that sets between tones and sounds. Check that first and then reseat connectors

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

there is a software setting

Run self test (button inside door), set locations 16 and higher to '03' to get all the sounds. Change the settings by holding the start button.

#4 7 years ago

Try hitting the reset button on the MPU and sound board. Also, the lamps are controlled by the lamp board.
The MPU should tell the sound board when to make a specific sound, such as when a switch is hit.

#5 7 years ago

Thanks all. You gave me lots of options to try before going in with the solder iron!

#6 7 years ago

Also make sure the ribbon cables are on correctly.

#7 7 years ago

Gentleman, thank you! You are correct that the audio had reverted to minimum. I still have some lights that work great in test mode but dont light at any other time: Shoot again, ball serve, and the left two tied together. Isnt it safe to assume the SCR's are fine if they come on and flash in test mode. Any additional advice for that.

Thanks again.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Chris-Socal:

Gentleman, thank you! You are correct that the audio had reverted to minimum. I still have some lights that work great in test mode but dont light at any other time: Shoot again, ball serve, and the left two tied together. Isnt it safe to assume the SCR's are fine if they come on and flash in test mode. Any additional advice for that.

Yes, If they light up at all, then the SCR & the associated decoder is working right. Can you cycle through individual bulbs in test mode on Xenon, or do they all just flash at the same time?

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Yes, If they light up at all, then the SCR & the associated decoder is working right. Can you cycle through individual bulbs in test mode on Xenon, or do they all just flash at the same time?

All controlled lamps flash together. That era of bally doesn't have individual lamp testing.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Chris-Socal:

Shoot again, ball serve, and the left two tied together

If they're tied to the larger SCRs used for multiple lamps, it is more likely a connector on the line going to the associated decoder. If it absolutely is not the connector, then the decoder MIGHT be problematic, but they hardly ever fail. Although I have had to replace a few, but only after a trace vaporization.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Chris-Socal:

but dont light at any other time

For shoot again, I'd run a test game, activate the necessary targets by hand to get an extra ball.

Then wiggle the lamp connectors on lamp board. If you can get it to light, you've found your problem.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from KenH:

For shoot again, I'd run a test game, activate the necessary targets by hand to get an extra ball.
Then wiggle the lamp connectors on lamp board. If you can get it to light, you've found your problem.

Second this. Also consider replacing those lamp sockets. Not hard to do. And will be a lot more reliable. The old ones are just plain corroded.

#13 7 years ago

I agree about the volatility of the lamp sockets, thats a project on my list
! but why do they work great in test mode? I think thedefog answered my question of this being the decoder. I originally assumed the driver was not receiving a signal. I reiterate, they do not light during game play or standby, but the minute you press the red button they all light up just fine. Maybe I should see if these bulbs are all controlled by the same decoder. Hmmm.

You guys are giving a new member immense attention and I cannot thank you enough.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Chris-Socal:

I agree about the volatility of the lamp sockets, thats a project on my list
! but why do they work great in test mode? I think thedefog answered my question of this being the decoder. I originally assumed the driver was not receiving a signal. I reiterate, they do not light during game play or standby, but the minute you press the red button they all light up just fine. Maybe I should see if these bulbs are all controlled by the same decoder. Hmmm.
You guys are giving a new member immense attention and I cannot thank you enough.

The other thought is the switch that triggers them to turn on in the first place. Any flaky switches in switch test? Beep-Beep-Beep-Beep. I hear that in my sleep from debugging bally games.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-audio-what-did-i-do and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.