5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Craigb
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Burnt ALDB con J1-15 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1404 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Craigb.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Like I said I got this Xenon for free, had no sound and intermittent solenoid issue. This is the first machine I’ve had that
    needed real work, before it was just runner and lamps, so I’m really a novice at this, but do have general abilities.
    I jumped in and worked on the solenoid issue, found a wire on J3 that didn’t look to be seated in the connector very
    well, so I repunched it and the issue was gone, so I thought. Went on to the sound, had a local guy look at the cards
    and he replaced 4 bad diodes and now I have sound, after adding a pot in the door, the door had been replaced and
    there was no bracket or wires to the cabinet connector.

Anyway I started checking some lamps that wouldn’t light, got some fixed others still out. Found an odd voltage
    on the ALD board TP2 which is ground, had 3.9 vdc, TP1 was fine, 5.3. I disconnected all connectors from the board,
    putting each one back on one at a time and checking TP2. I got the same voltage with each connector. Also when I pulled the
    connectors off I found J1-15 was burnt on the connector, going to A-5J4-11, ground which looks good the pin on the board didn’t
    look bad. So I left the the connectors off, pulled the board to look it over, no obvious damage, I didn’t want to reconnect it so
    I don’t have any more info on it than that.

Now that I have read quite a bit on this site I know I went about this all wrong, jumped into the middle, should have
    checked all TP voltages and looked over every connector. I did check the boards for any burnt components.

a few days later I turned the machine on without the ALD board and started checking all the TP’s on the boards.

Power/Rec
    TP1 8.13 vdc
    TP2 192 vdc
    TP3 15.11 vdc
    TP4 7.49 vac
    TP5 46.25 vdc

Reg/Sol
    TP1 4.17 vdc
    TP2 191.7 vdc
    TP3 3.83 vdc *issue
    TP4 258 vdc *issue?
    TP5 11.68 vdc
    TP6 3.87 vdc *issue
    TP7 3.87 vdc *issue

Looks like I have a 5 vdc from the regulator?

MPU
    TP1 5.26 vdc
    TP2 15.52 vdc * issue?
    TP3 21.5
    TP4 Ground 0
    TP5 5.27 vdc
    TP6 13.63 vdc
    TP7 Missed this one!

This was all I had time for so two days later I came back turned on the machine was getting ready to open the cabinet, the sound
    got really low and choppy and some of the lights went out, I shut the machine off. I was looking around and found J3-10 on the
    Reg/Sol board was burnt, not sure if it was like this before, but this goes to power board A2J3-5 5 v return, could be why the 5 vdc
    on TP 3, 6 and 7 were so low? Anyway needless to say, I haven’t powered the machine back up since! Plans are to rebuild or replace
    the Reg/Sol board. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1404 (resized).jpgIMG_1404 (resized).jpg
    #3 5 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

On your SDB board, you need to make the board modufications according to the repair docs, because you are getting a big voltage drop through the connectors, but you also are going to need to repair the SDB +5vdc regulator because you are well undervoltage at TP1.
    Repair and upgrade to the SDB is described here:
    http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index1.htm#cap

Yea, I agree, if I don't go to an Alltek board I was going to do the bulletproof work/modifications, change the caps, regulator and all the connectors. The ALDB is the one that has me really puzzled. Can't figure where the 3.9 vdc is coming from on TP2. Also I have a hum, kinda like a ground hum in the speakers, when all the connectors are off the ALDB the hum goes away. Once I get the SDB complete, I'm going to check the leads coming into the ALDB. I did a continuity test from TP2 to all the pins on the board and only the ones you'd expect, had continuity. The pin 15 being burnt really bugs me, not sure what to make of this problem. I won't hook any other boards up after the SDB is replaced until I check all the voltages coming from it, definitely not the ALDB.

#4 5 years ago

Not a good picture, sure most of you have seen connectors like this.

Burnt ALDB con J1-15 (resized).jpgBurnt ALDB con J1-15 (resized).jpg
    #5 5 years ago

So, anyone have any ideas on my 3.9 vdc on ALD TP2? I did a continuity check on all pins to TP2, only places that came up were where they should be, also checked from TP1 to TP2 nothing.

J1 - 13, 14, 15
    J2 - Nothing
    J3 - 5,6,19,20

My next step will be to test the pins on the connectors, that go to ground for voltage, sound right?

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Yes sounds right. Didn't you already determine there was a bad ground terminal on the J1 connector, i.e. where it looks burnt?

I'm checking that also, that will be the first pin in the connector I check. I really haven't done anything since posting this, so pulled the board to look at it and check the back, then tested the grounds, now to the back box.

#8 5 years ago

Checked the A9J1-15 pin in the connector for Continuity and resistance to A5J4-11, where it runs to, checked out OK, I have all the boards disconnected until I get the new connector for all the sol/reg board connections, so I couldn't check for any weird voltage possibly coming across yet. Just going to do some continuity and resistance checks on the areas of concern, once I have the sol/reg fix/replaced I'll check before installing the ALD connections, I guess nothing else to do until then.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Do you measure zero ohms resistance between the ground test point (TP2) on the Aux lamp driver board and ground on the rectifier board?
    It's common for the header pin solder joints to crack on those Aux lamp driver boards so you might want to inspect them and resolder where necessary.

No, I have the board out of the machine, tested connector pin to connector pin from ALD J1-15 to the LD A5J4-11, zero ohms there. Looked at the back of the ALD under magnification for cracks and possible excess solder that might cause voltage on TP2, but there was none, joints look good. I did test from TP2 to the J1 pins 13,14,and 15 that are all tied together as ground, also TP2 to J3 - 5,6,19,20 zero resistance.

I've checked the power supply TP points and all the connector pins that have power going out to anything, per the schematic, all are good, I know I have a Reg/Sol board issue, all original and I have a burnt connector on J3-10 a common ground issue. So I think I should get the Reg/Sol board issues corrected before I try to do much else. I found these issues after I had started working on the ALD. Once I get that corrected or replaced I'll come back do more testing to the ALD. Things on the reg board could be causing some issues here, but that 3.9vdc on TP2 still bugs me. Thanks for the ideas, I'll try them out once I get back to this point. Using the flipperwinkel document starting from the beginning, like I should have in the beginning.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Craigb.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-as-2518-help?tu=Craigb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.