Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Frax
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I noticed all of X-Pin's power supplies on their main website are out of stock. They must be selling well then. We have bought their Data East PSU so far and it's wonderful. No problems whatsoever and I might even say that all the solenoids are more powerful now, flippers included. I love how efficient X-Pin's stuff is and would 100% recommend their products. The diagnostic LEDs and numerous test points are great features. We have another System 11 PSU on order. I would buy from K's Arcade, you'll get it in 2 or 3 days with priority mail and there is lots of helpful documentation about the site in the package.

#2 11 years ago

Anyone tried these yet?

#3 11 years ago

Yes - love it and Brett Davis of XPin is great. If I had a machine with a missing or unrepairable board XPin would be the first one I'd turn to.

viperrwk

#4 11 years ago

I appreciate everyone's support. My XPin line of products has taken off so strongly, my manufacturing house is having a hard time keeping up. That's a good problem to have. Right now all my Power Supplies are back in stock and I have the shipments to the distributors enroute so they should be updated shortly.

Keep watching for more announcements though. Things are definitely happening!

Don't get left behind!

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I might even say that all the solenoids are more powerful now, flippers included.

Really!? Good to know. I have been following their stuff a little lately and waiting for positive and negative reviews. I appreciate your input and experience. It would be great if others would post their thoughts and findings.

#6 11 years ago

The System 11C PSU came in today. I put it in, turned it on, and got a loud buzzing sound. I noticed the positive lead on C5 looks drilled out. Multimeter says this lead shorts to ground so looks like it's touching the ground plate. We're seeing if we can fix that. Brett, are you aware of this?

#7 11 years ago

Crash,

Wasn't aware of it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I want to get my hands on it. Send me your contact info and via [email protected]. I will pull one out of stock and retest, then send it out to you.

All of the products are tested before they leave the CM so I need to check this out.

Brett

#8 11 years ago

Well now I'm not sure. Looked at a cap's negative lead on a working original PSU and it's connected to ground, so looks like C5 was installed backwards. Also, connecting the potentiometer to the sound board creates a loud buzz like something is shorting. Tried this new board in another System 11b and the sound was there but barely audible like the amp wasn't working. Looks like the board is not designed for System 11b games even though the your site and K's Arcade says so (which is where we bought it from). There is a discrepancy on the pin voltages of a connector between this board and the original one we have.

Edit: Connector pins seem to match up, but we're getting the same behavior between 2 System 11b games. C5 looks installed correctly.

#9 11 years ago

Here's a crazy question...

Is there a way to make a power (GI on my space shuttle comes from power board..) or driver board supply enough constant voltage/amps to the GI circuit so that there is not flicker when you fire up the flippers and other solenoids? Always have wondered if anyone would try to "correct" this in new board designs, or if it's even possible.

#10 11 years ago

Right now I am at my day job so I do not have access to any of my schematics or documentation. Let me give you a call tonight and we will work through it. I have this supply in my Rollergames and Game Show (I always use my own games for testing before releasing) and haven't heard this issue. I will test and work them to see what maybe happening.

Brett

P.S. Send me a number to my [email protected] so that I can call you.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Here's a crazy question...

Is there a way to make a power (GI on my Space Shuttle comes from power board..) or driver board supply enough constant voltage/amps to the GI circuit so that there is not flicker when you fire up the flippers and other solenoids? Always have wondered if anyone would try to "correct" this in new board designs, or if it's even possible.

The challenge with what your asking is that GI is 5.7Vac (ac voltage) which you get through a multi-tap transformer. Since solenoids are powered through rectified AC with a single big cap, when you fire the, when you fire your solenoids, if the cap is old, it will drag the entire transformer down causing all of the other non regulated voltages to drop slightly. The best thing you could do is replace that big cap on your solenoid bridge.

I looked into converting the GI into DC but that it was an expensive solution. Most GI requires ~20A @ 5.7Vac. The heat generated with the conversion was too great. Most didn't like it.

#12 11 years ago

E-mail sent.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from XPinPinball:

The challenge with what your asking is that GI is 5.7Vac (ac voltage) which you get through a multi-tap transformer. Since solenoids are powered through rectified AC with a single big cap, when you fire the, when you fire your solenoids, if the cap is old, it will drag the entire transformer down causing all of the other non regulated voltages to drop slightly. The best thing you could do is replace that big cap on your solenoid bridge.
    I looked into converting the GI into DC but that it was an expensive solution. Most GI requires ~20A @ 5.7Vac. The heat generated with the conversion was too great. Most didn't like it.

Thanks for the answer, that made perfect sense.

I may just give it a shot. I recently replaced the bridge rectifiers on my STTNG and put a LED kit in, and it seemed like it was worse after that. Did NOT replace the caps even though it was suggested by some people.

#14 11 years ago

How about the X-pin displays? I'am gonna need new displays down the road for High Speed and theres a few companies making these LED displays. Anyone recommend X-pin or other makers for alphanumeric displays, thanks.

#15 11 years ago

Jeff, where are you at in PHX? This is where XPin is made. I live in Gilbert.

Brett

#16 11 years ago

I love the look of the XPin products and they seem to work great. Brett is also very good with making time for customer support if there are any problems so if you are on the fence about it rest assured, XPins products are the real deal!

#17 11 years ago

I know Brett personally, he is a great guy. Deal with confidence.

2 months later
    #18 11 years ago

Sorry to bump this thread but Brett weren't you asked about recitifying and smoothing the GI circuit? You said it would be too much trouble and the lamps would draw too much current. But could you try making a DC GI version of the board for LEDs? I don't see why someone would deliberately buy a DC version of the board if they're not using LEDs. Otherwise they probably wouldn't even know about the nature of the GI circuit.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Sorry to bump this thread but Brett weren't you asked about recitifying and smoothing the GI circuit? You said it would be too much trouble and the lamps would draw too much current. But could you try making a DC GI version of the board for LEDs? I don't see why someone would deliberately buy a DC version of the board if they're not using LEDs. Otherwise they probably wouldn't even know about the nature of the GI circuit.

That's got to be more support headache than it's worth....

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-pin-power-supplies-selling-well and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.