(Topic ID: 16030)

X-Men - Official Club Thread All Welcome!

By pmWolf

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by KING-HENRY
  • Topic is favorited by 116 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2289 (resized).jpeg
20231210_114221 (resized).jpg
20231210_114216 (resized).jpg
20231210_114212 (resized).jpg
20231210_114207 (resized).jpg
20231210_114159 (resized).jpg
20231015_221002 (resized).jpg
20221212_175404 (resized).jpg
20231202_132135 (resized).jpg
IMG_9543 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9544 (resized).jpeg
gg (resized).JPG
xmen (resized).PNG
MB (resized).PNG
20230806_161030 (resized).jpg
IMG_2846 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9492 X-Men Ramp Post mod Posted by bballfan (9 years ago)

Post #9499 X-Men 1.51 Rulesheet Posted by frg (9 years ago)

Post #9522 Link to newton ball info Posted by pmWolf (9 years ago)

Post #9523 Newton Ball purchase link Posted by pmWolf (9 years ago)

Post #11002 New Magneto figure installed. Posted by vbittnv (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taylor34.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2011 11 years ago

I'm surprised we haven't gotten any play reports yet considering this game is on test now. Most of the time I don't care but for some reason I'm really interested in X-Men.

#2017 11 years ago

Ah bummer. Looking forward to some impressions here at some point.

#2135 11 years ago

I'm surprised this game isn't out on test yet with shipping only being a couple weeks away. You would think that they'd want to find the bugs asap before shipping any games with possible defects.

2 weeks later
#2844 11 years ago

Game looks fantastic. What's kind of funny is that when I initially saw it, I thought that the spinning disc was the best thing then the moving ramp, and was only 'meh' on the nightcrawler things. After seeing it in action though, I think that the nightcrawler things look pretty cool honestly but the spinning disc and ramp are only so-so. I think it will be similar to the Tron-Tron LE thing where the games are pretty close in playability but there's just more flash on the LE.

#2851 11 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Him and Terry (PBLife) must be partying together because he's out of town till the 12th, lol.

And pbresource, lol.

#2937 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I loved the voices in POTC. Depp sound alike was spot on and had funny and game-relevant quotes. I liked the other voices, too. I'm not a fan of the movies - so I guess if you were expecting all those characters you'd be disappointed...it worked for me, though! I got tired of the monotonous gameplay ...I miss the sound package more than the game itself lol

I agree, POTC's problem wasn't the voices, it was the fact that 4 of the 8 goals were completely worthless, 2 were decent, and 2 were just ridiculously repetitive that made you shoot the same shots (ship and chest) over and over and over and over for like 10 to 15 minutes after you'd already completed the other 6 goals. On top of that, when you finally got to the end of those sequences (battle davey jones and heart multiball) if you failed to make the required shots (which are more shots to the chest and ship) you get to shoot more chest and ship shots. Really a shame because the game could have been so much more.

#3079 11 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Yeah...it would seem weird having 2 completely disconnected mini-wizard modes that you could get in either order. Something for completeing, or even getting through, both would be nice.
Have there been any other games that have 2 seperate mini-wiz modes like this?

Iron Man, Stargate to name two.

#3408 11 years ago

Thanks a bunch for the video. I'm not sure how anyone could make any determinations about whether it's going to be a great game or not from it though, we didn't get to see much of the ruleset at all. It looks promising though.

#3674 11 years ago

Anyone have any gameplay/ruleset opinions so far? Surprised that there really hasn't been any short reviews so far, figured that people were playing them all day.

#3767 11 years ago

So for those that have the game, do the modes stack at all? Like can you have Iceman and Wolverine running together, things like that? Or is it like once you start Iceman, nothing else can run? That's a very important aspect to me personally. Thanks

#3770 11 years ago
Quoted from copperpot:

Agreed, stacking in general is a pretty 'essential' feature in my mind.

It definitely is when you've got a game that requires X number of shots to the same place. In fact if they told me that X-Men doesn't stack the Hero modes, I'd probably be out...it'd be like having MM only being able to shoot the damsel ramp until you complete that, then having to go to the next shot...would make it way less fun. In fact putting a timer on it is kind of dumb already, that's not a good sign...if they had timers on the SM villian shots I know that would make the game less fun. Hurry-ups = ok, 9 shots identical shots or fail in 60 seconds = not good. I want to be able to stack like Iron Man, Tron, etc.

#3809 11 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Okay, I think I have something new to add on the ruleset. You just have to hit a character's shot to collect that person on your team (have their shot lit for a jackpot) during Magneto Multiball.
But each hero character also has a separate mode, started by hitting that shot a certain number of times. However, to complete that character mode, you have to do various other things (usually hit the shot another certain number of time). But here is the cool part: starting any hero character mode will get ther name lit up on the big X inserts on the middle of the PF (like TRON - start the mode and it blinks, complete the mode to make it light solid). BUT it seems that you can hit ANY lit and already completed character's shot to count toward the new one you are working on and being counted down for. Some take way more shots to complete than others. Wolverine only takes 3 hits to complete and light. Cyclops takes 9. I had Wolverine and Rogue lit, then started Phoenix. Wolverine and Rogue inserts were flashing in addition to Phoenix. So hits to Wolverine (a much easier shot) were giving me credit toward Phoenix (at least I was getting Phoenix callouts and animations every time I hit him). That puts a ton of strategy into picking the order to shoot to complete hero modes. Very cool.

Thanks for the info. Can you possibly answer my previous question from up above, can you start like Wolverine, Rogue, and Phoenix at the same time? Or is it strictly one at a time?

#3828 11 years ago

Thanks for all the info Gambit, that's really good info. That all sounds really good honestly, I don't mind good characters not stacking as long as you don't have to shoot the same shot over and over in their mode. It does seem a little strange that you have to play the magneto multiball before doing anything else in the game, hopefully they change that...seems a little dumb that they make you do that first every single time. I can't imagine having to play black suit multiball every single time before playing anything else in Spiderman. I'm sure that they'll change that though, that particular requirement doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

#3903 11 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

I just can't believe that they put THAT much effort into making cool Nightcrawler mechs, only to have them show up @ 1 out of 50 plays. Complete madness!
I would hope that they'd be "earnable" AND as a "random award." (Like the Gem mode in Tron). At the very least, let us increase the percentage...
If you are looking for another suggestion: Attainable Wizard Mode. Completing characters is going to be too tough for 95% of us. Reaching all the characters is going to be enough of a challenge on its own.
Stop making rulesets that only Bowen can master. =)
Pete

What they really should do is what they did for Tron, if you don't complete all the Heros/villians then have a mini-sos type wizard mode where you try and collect them.

From the comments so far, there are some things that definitely need to be changed:

a) magneto multiball starting off the game every time
b) no progression saving
c) stackable modes, at least one hero/villian mode at the same time.
d) cut down on the number of shots to complete, 9 in 60 seconds is ridiculous.

Frankly, progression really isn't the answer...it forces repetition of the same hard modes every game, and will decrease the replayability. What would do the opposite though is a reward. So say you make 5 of the 9 shots for Colossus, you would get the light on the playfield and that's it. However, say you make 9 of 9 for Colossus...then his shot should be doubled for the rest of the ball. That removes repetition, adds risk/reward calcs, and increases the scoring possibilities.

Defeating a bad guy should do the same thing, like start like fast scoring, 2x scoring, super combo's, etc.

That's the way it should be done. No progression saving, pass or fail you should advance to the next thing, not be forced to replay it. I find that's one of the key weaknesses of LOTR...I love the game and I love the multiballs, but having to play each one 2 or 3 times a game hoping to advance wore on me after a while.

Hopefully they're able to fix some things. The game has gone from a 95% certain buy to about 50/50 for me now. Luckily the 50% doubt I have is all in the software and not the playfield, the playfield looks fantastic. The way it's setup now in software I would have doubts on the long term playability of the game, I'm afraid that eventually (400 or 500 games) you'd get to the same point every game where you'd get stuck, like OP multiball on transformers.

#3910 11 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

First off, early code. Secondly, I've said before, no matter what we think the game should play like, the rules are the brain child of the programmer and we should try to respect what they are doing. With 14 total shots to complete Cyclops, I'm sure that's a Lonnie inspired mode and we don't really have to respect that one. I imagine there will be some stacking and changes along the way.

You're right, early code but the way things are setup right now means that to change it a lot of the design would have to be totally changed, which isn't very easy. Changing number of shots is easy, making things stack and work together properly isn't. I would expect to see improvements on the existing design not a redesign, which is why the current code makes me a little nervous. There aren't any games that I remember where they started out at 1.0 with no stacking and then all of a sudden at 1.1 had all kinds of stacking. Usually from 1.0 to 1.1 they add in missing features, animations, sounds, bug fixes, etc, not a rework of the entire software design. Perhaps this will be the game that changes that, I don't know.

#4028 11 years ago

The game basically just needs a few minor tweaks in software to become great. I really liked that video you just shot. I think I'd be ready to purchase a pro as soon as Magneto multiball isn't mandatory to start the game and some sort of progression/equalizing of shots is done to make getting farther in the game possible if you get to the mode for a 2nd time. Those should be pretty easy items, I can live without the stacking as long as the game doesn't become 'work' or monotonous, but with a few tweaks both those problems should be easily solved.

#4037 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Regarding having to start with magneto multiball before anything else....

Yes, I do. This is a great way to get started. You are collecting your team to fight magneto. It's very easy to get started also and gets you into your first multiball. Once the scoring is solved, that will be a pretty high scoring beginning run. The more guys you collect, the higher your scores will be as well as the more shots that generate those scores. As long as I can collect all the characters before starting it, I am able to beat magneto multiball (get super jackpot and start scoring on it) about 75% of the time.
After you have assembled your team and met the bad guy, the game starts. There is so much to do, this will be a long trek. I am quite excited. More so than I've been over any new pinball I've gotten in the last few months.

This is a great way to get started...for 100 to 200 games. Starting with the same sequence though will get very old though, any game that starts with the same mode every time suffers from this. That's why I think it needs to change, as it was a big negative on games I've played with it (BF, RS, GNR, JP, etc). In fact I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't buy it unless they change that due to prior experience with that on early 90's games. I actually can't remember a game in the past 15 years that had this issue though.

#4052 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Wait, you can restart Wolverine even after completion? That definitely has to change. Once you get Wolverine insert solid, DONE. There are too many modes in the game to warrant repeats.

Yeah, I would agree with that. If things stacked, restarting is no big deal. Since they don't, restarting a mode you've already completed basically screws you for the 30 to 60 seconds it runs. Let's hope that they correct this and the mandatory Magneto in the next update, or at least have a configurable option.

#4053 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

RS does *not* start with the same mode every game!

Well, it's pretty close. You know what I mean.

1 week later
#4571 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Thanks Mark, this was the obvious thing to do in order to absolutely confirm that it is a shaker problem.
I swapped the shaker from my TRON LE and put it in XM. I think this pretty much settles the matter.
» YouTube video

Hey Rob--

Take off one of the weights and see what happens. I did that on my SM to 'tone down' the effect a little bit. It might stop your 'clanking'.

#4607 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

This was discussed before the pin was actually released.
This is exactly how MM works. You want to collect as many "madnesses" as possible before starting MB. Each madness that you collect before starting MB will be the jackpot during MB. So you try to *avoid* the Merlin hole until you have collected as many of the madnesses as possible. When my non-pinheads see my negative reaction to starting MB on MM (when I start it too soon) they are very confused.

Except for on MM it almost makes more sense not to shoot the Jackpots at all and just shoot the castle, regardless of the what the jackpot is because the castle shots are so valuable and dangerous at the same time. That's how I made it to BFTK a couple weeks ago, I just ignored the multiball jackpots, shot the castle, and ended up with like 157 million or something like that. I think somebody calculated it out at some point and figured out that the best scoring strategy was to do that (which ironically also is the best strategy to get to the wizard mode).

#4986 11 years ago

Unless you're in tournament play and the mode isn't worth very many points, or if maybe you're about ready to reach the wizard mode, I have no idea why you'd time out a mode even if you could, which you can on quite a few games. What would be the point? Advancing to the wizard mode just for the sake of getting there, forgetting all the points along the way? That kind of sounds lame and boring. DugFreez, you're the only person in the 7 years I've been reading message boards who says that they're unable to control themselves from timing out modes, lol. I'm not sure how you'd watch anything on a DVR, you'd probably just fast forward to the last 2 minutes just to see the ending.

I understand what you're saying (loophole to the wizard mode basically) but at the same time it's like installing a cheat code to warp from the beginning to the end of Diablo III, what's the point of warping all the way to the end when the goal of the game is to play and have fun? Plus the ultimate goal of pinball isn't even getting to the wizard mode, it's points.

#5391 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah, it's really hard on IM to complete some of those modes in one ball. I could complete the Multiballs...but for IM you have to start 3 IM Fast Scorings in one ball, and honestly I have no idea how to complete Drones...never did it once lol

The drones and im targets have to be completed three times but not on one ball. That's only for the do or die multi ball wizard mode. Completing all five characters on one ball gets you do or die single ball wizard. Completing the iron man chest symbols over your game gets you to jericho wizard mode. Only one of the three wizard modes is actually mandated to one ball.

1 year later
#8726 9 years ago

How do you achieve all the extra balls in X-Men? I know Nightcrawler is one of them, and beating four villains is another, but it seems like there are even more.

1 month later
#8865 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

If you dislike the moving ramp only, you can disable it in the menu.
IMO the pro is very lacking in the GI lighting effects and the NC toys and spinning magnet.

Having played both I think that the pro plays better. The Wolverine is positioned better on the pro, doesn't have the annoying iceman ramp (which misses that switch on the right inlane, which is major bummer )and doesn't have the nightcrawlers which stop the flow. There's somebody on here that owned both, and his opinion was that the LE wins on the bling factor, but if you're just playing it the pro plays better. I certainly think that the LE lighting looks way better for sure.

1 year later
#10234 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

May be re-joining this club very soon. Found an LE that I may be moving forward with. My wife is excited since it's her favorite game.
Question about the code on this game...Is it done?

It's done outside of some wizard mode bugs that probably won't be fixed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taylor34.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men?tu=taylor34 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.