(Topic ID: 16030)

X-Men - Official Club Thread All Welcome!

By pmWolf

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12,242 posts
  • 614 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 21 days ago by Malenko
  • Topic is favorited by 104 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DFD5A0B6-30C5-4E13-807D-5D4ACD7CFC89 (resized).jpeg
x-men figurines (resized).jpg
Snapchat-1291066581 (resized).jpg
Snapchat-1283275875 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210825_013635060 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210825_013536691 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210824_233444826 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210824_233429526 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210824_233438900.MP (resized).jpg
PXL_20210824_233455437 (resized).jpg
s-l1600 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210820_172503617_HDR (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
16255359366048416975778205203356 (resized).jpg
16255359218332186548390559826184 (resized).jpg
16255359126173016602050244620390 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9492 X-Men Ramp Post mod Posted by bballfan (6 years ago)

Post #9499 X-Men 1.51 Rulesheet Posted by frg (6 years ago)

Post #9522 Link to newton ball info Posted by pmWolf (6 years ago)

Post #9523 Newton Ball purchase link Posted by pmWolf (6 years ago)

Post #11002 New Magneto figure installed. Posted by vbittnv (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lyonsden.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9888 6 years ago
Quoted from PavBall:

Where did you find that Wolverine? Is there a kit for that change?

ebay.com link: WOLVERINE XMEN Marvel Comics ACTION Figure PAPERWEIGHT

Then use the captive ball mod: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-le-wolverine-newton-bracket-by-mezelmods

Can't recommend the captive ball enough. Such an improvement to the game.

4 weeks later
#9951 6 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

I think about it too, but I am ambivalent about it. I get why people like it but I tend to be a bit of a purist when it comes to mods that affect the gameplay. I did move the Wolverine over a bit on my LE but could justify it to myself as it was already in that position on the Pro. Taking it out altogether feels equivalent to removing a post on another game to make a shot easier. Plus, I have never hated the Wolverine figure as much as some folks.
That being said, occasionally when I fail to hit Beast cleanly and bounce off the side of Wolvie instead I do feel the urge to rip him off and stomp on him a little.

I highly recommend this mod (or reversion to the original design, technically). Since it is easily reversible (assuming you don't mangle Wolvie's wires or switch), I feel that it is really worth trying out. If you don't like it, you can revert back to the design the game shipped with and sell the kit to someone else. As to why I like it so much, it opens the Beast and Xavier shots, and decreases the number of unintended hits to Wolverine. Overall, I like how it increases my ability to play the game strategically, instead of accidentally starting Wolverine multiball or (repeatedly) missing the Beast orbit shot.

In any case, just my 2 cents.

#9956 6 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

I am sure I would like the mod. I would also like my AC/DC more if I put a rubber ring across the outlanes.

Straw man argument, but you made your point. IMHO, you are missing out on a great improvement to the game (not one that makes it easier).

2 weeks later
#10018 6 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Hopefully this hasn't been discussed to death already I haven't found anything on it in the forum so far. I was wondering if anyone has been having issues with the Rogue shot on their pro machines. Unless I massage the shot just right the ball either flies out of the ramp and back into the orbits or doesn't register the shot. Any idea's/solutions would be much appreciated, Thanks

I had a similar problem with mine and found that the Nightcrawler lid near the upper right flipper was raised a hair causing air balls and some bounce through the Rogue shot causing it to not register some shots. Adjusting the height of Nightcrawler stopped the air balls and started registering Rogue hits reliably.

2 weeks later
#10026 6 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Yep. Trying to start or retry Storm or Rogue.....going through Cyclops is the easiest way. It's really a bummer if you have him beat and then start him again when trying to get Storm going.

Good point, but I'm wondering why you don't turn on hero stacking.

#10034 6 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Because then the game is a cluttered mess.

I'm not trolling, just curious as to what you mean. I have mine set on stacking and really enjoy it. I like getting several heroes started, start a villain, then start a multball to clean house (well, as much as I can). Also, I like the strategy behind getting to Danger Room -- get heroes all started/completed, then Magneto MB, then play Danger Room. Dark Phoenix is still a dream for my skills.

With stacking off, the game just seems to drag for me.

2 months later
#10128 5 years ago
Quoted from thadawkins:

About to join the club for a 2nd time! Just secured the purchase of a Wolvy LE. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow, can't wait

Congrats. An X-Men LE is an outstanding game. Hope you enjoy it!

4 months later
#10261 5 years ago

6 XMLE in the market right now. Great opportunity if someone is looking to join the club.

Pinside_Marketplace___Pinball_ads___Pinside_Market_(resized).png

4 months later
#10467 5 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

One little gameplay rule I'm not sure of. Sometimes one of the inlane " Launch " inserts flashes like its lit for something other than its normal lane change/light scoop function, what's it flashing for?

That happens when the Iceman mode is running. On the LE, you hit his shot and the ramp (which moves) drops the ball on that flashing inlane (the left most).

3 weeks later
#10566 5 years ago

Personally, I like hero stacking. But then again, I like to be able to stack modes on most games. I love trying to get several modes started before starting a villain and then top it all off with Wolverine or Magneto multiball. To each, their own.

1 month later
#10681 4 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

X-Men for the win! AFM is outta here. I might try Spidey next. Seriously, what is going to beat this machine?? I'm looking at ST and thinking, pfff, not even going to bother. For sale....

It is a seriously awesome and fun game. One of the favorites in my collection. Keep the head to head going, it is fun to see what how it compares in your collection.

#10685 4 years ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

Anyone know if there is a rule set posted online anywhere?

Bowen did a tutorial:

It is pretty good and worth the watch.

#10686 4 years ago
Quoted from redundor:

Tron? It's xmen's mirror image after all...

I have both Tron and Xmen -- love them both. Mirror image layouts, but completely different rules and sounds.

#10688 4 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Tron's imbalanced flipper action.

What is this?

2 weeks later
#10713 4 years ago

Made it to (and through) Dark Phoenix for the first time. What an amazing and ridiculously fun game!

image (resized).jpeg

4 months later
#10817 4 years ago

Getting to danger room with hero stacking on (my preference):

1. Start (or complete all heros)
2. Play Magneto multiball and collect super jackpot
3. Danger Room is lit at the scoop
4. Shoot scoop to start Danger Room

Quoted from rotordave:

From the rule sheet:
Hero Stacking On: Start all heroes prior to activating Magneto Multiball. Start a max 4 ball Magneto Multiball. Earn Magneto Super Jackpot by defeating Magneto.

1 month later
#10860 4 years ago
Quoted from HankScorpio:

Hi Everyone,
I have been working on a LED Hero Insert Mod for X-Men and wanted to share my test version. I plan on reworking some of the colors for each hero, and need to adjust the placement of my LED strip on Cyclops so it doesn't bleed into Phoenix as much. Other than that I think it turned out great. As usual pictures don't do it justice.
I always hated the harsh, inconsistent stock Hero lights, and like my Metallica Insert Mod, I think this really fits the bill.
The mod will ship as a single unit, so all you will have to do is unplug your current lights, slide my Hero Insert Mod in and plug it in to the existing lamp sockets. Super easy and fully reversible. Install should take no more than 15 minutes.
Here is a short video clip in attract mode:
» YouTube video
Price will be roughly $55 shipped.
PM me if you are interested and I can add you to the list.

Nice work! I'm interested.

2 months later
#10925 4 years ago
Quoted from Gandalf37j:

no, that's true, and not what I wanted to do ...
I was just wondering if the Pro code include part's of the LE's one ...
I'm not sure, but I have in mind that ELi's Ramp Illumination Kit for TRON Pro work's so nice, because TRON Pro Code include LE parts of the Ramp illumination...
so hope that might be the case for X-MEn Pro with the Disco code of the LE
anyway.. negotiating at the moment how a pinduino might help

Eli's ramp kit used a daughter board to intercept game I/O and had its own chip for data processing and controlling the ramp lights. There was no LE code used to make that happen.

I'm happy to help you with the pinduino (I'm the creator of it). Send me a PM.

#10933 4 years ago
Quoted from xizor:

What is missing from the pro to cause bricking?

Stern made game-specific version of the MPU board. E.g., one version for ACDC prem/LE, one version that worked in Tron LE and Avatar LE, etc. You can see some of them at Marcos: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/ELEC-BOARD-CPU?S_CAT2=STERN

For XMen specifically, you'd need to check the part number for the MPU and see if they are the same or shared with other games.

#10936 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

Thinking about trying to find a pro near me, what are common issues to look out for?

Wear at the scoop and magnets. And being amazed by the great game play.

1 month later
#10962 3 years ago
Quoted from playboywillis:

Has anyone had an issue with Magneto registering hits to the captive ball when there isn't a hit? I can't pin down the exact time or situation where this happens but all of a sudden the last few games it will constantly register hits starting multiball early and all kinds of nonsense.
Thanks

Sounds like an option switch is acting up. Reflow the solder on them, check the plugs, and see if that does the trick. They get shaken a lot as the Magneto ball gate goes up and down which can loosen the plug or cause a cold solder joint.

Added over 4 years ago: Typo: "option switch" should be "opto switch"

#10964 3 years ago

I had time this weekend to finally install a Pinduino and addressable LEDs on the ramps of my XMLE:

Also, I updated the Pinduino code for new effects and better integration with gameplay. Code is open source and freely available: https://github.com/elyons/professor_pinball_pinduino_sketches/tree/master/XMen_interactive_ramps

I really like how it turned out!

#10966 3 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Is there an option to just control the GI and color change the GI on the PRO based on modes, similar to the LE GI color changing?

I've made a few setups with the pinduino to control the GI on games. Here are two from WPT and Tron:

All the code is open source: https://github.com/elyons/professor_pinball_pinduino_sketches

If you go DIY, it is $35 for a pinduino and $15 for the LEDs ebay.com link: 50pcs 500pcs WS2811 12mm RGB Full Color Pixels digital Addressable LED String

Pretty fun to make and the results are spectacular. I don't have code written for XM pro, but am happy to help write it.

#10976 3 years ago

Anyone here been working on colorizing XM for PIN2DMD? Just made one and really like it so far, but still on the learning curve for colorizing.

3 weeks later
#11010 3 years ago
Quoted from vbittnv:

Really looking for a Walking dead so I (might) get rid of my LE...
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/57153

Nice looking game. That is a great deal on my favorite version of XM.

1 month later
#11052 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Stacking = off = always

I've played both ways extensively, and prefer hero stacking on. Nothing was worse than accidentally restarting a hero and having to time it out as it totally stopped the flow of the game.

3 weeks later
#11067 3 years ago

I'm posting a photo of the Aux board from an LE for reference (Gandalf37j)

IMG_6728 (resized).JPG

#11075 3 years ago

This is for Gandalf37j for the Magneto motor wiring, but it may be helpful to others interested in how it is set up: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xmle-disk-motor-wiring

9 months later
#11444 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Found this on the bottom of my cabinet. Anyone know where it broke off of?[quoted image][quoted image]

End of stroke lever for a flipper. Important piece that cuts off the high power to a flipper coil when holding the flipper up. Find from which flipper it broke off and replace before playing again. You can burn the coil, short a transistor, etc if not fixed.

#11447 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

So it's from the upper flipper, which doesnt appear to have an EOS switch. Which means that I dont need to replace it. Maybe it is regulated by the lower eos switch. Can anyone confirm?
[quoted image]

I can confirm that the upper right flipper doesn’t have an EOS switch.

image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lyonsden.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside