(Topic ID: 16030)

X-Men - Official Club Thread All Welcome!

By pmWolf

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by KING-HENRY
  • Topic is favorited by 116 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2289 (resized).jpeg
20231210_114221 (resized).jpg
20231210_114216 (resized).jpg
20231210_114212 (resized).jpg
20231210_114207 (resized).jpg
20231210_114159 (resized).jpg
20231015_221002 (resized).jpg
20221212_175404 (resized).jpg
20231202_132135 (resized).jpg
IMG_9543 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9544 (resized).jpeg
gg (resized).JPG
xmen (resized).PNG
MB (resized).PNG
20230806_161030 (resized).jpg
IMG_2846 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9492 X-Men Ramp Post mod Posted by bballfan (9 years ago)

Post #9499 X-Men 1.51 Rulesheet Posted by frg (9 years ago)

Post #9522 Link to newton ball info Posted by pmWolf (9 years ago)

Post #9523 Newton Ball purchase link Posted by pmWolf (9 years ago)

Post #11002 New Magneto figure installed. Posted by vbittnv (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drano.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#285 11 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

I have to wear rubber underwear every time I play Radical!

LOL!
That made my day.

#308 11 years ago

Typically, how soon do they open up pre-orders after releasing images of the game?

#529 11 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Personally, I think it is a totally different thing. PoTC was entirely a Disney property...from start to finish. They had every reason to be ultra-protective.

So is TRON

#774 11 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

I'm sure it's been said, but I have heard both. Is the pricing going to be closer to ACDC LE or TFLE?

What was the pricing on those two?

#826 11 years ago

Come on 1000!
Daddy needs a new set of pics!!!

#829 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Haha this has as many posts as our Nashville thread.

You're not kidding. I hit that thread by accident once and it just won't go away. I scan all my green threads first and (being in Canada) don't really have much interest in finding out how mnay pinsiders are in Nashville. I wish there was a way to undo that.

I think we've blown Predator out of the water with this one.

#840 11 years ago

Man, if this goes another way, they really went crazy trying to make X-Men a red herring with all those sly Facebook posts.

#869 11 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

What exactly are people putting deposits down on? The LEs? Assuming there are multiple LEs will there be a second deposit to lock down your chosen LE?

The guys I've spoken to are allowing you to put down a placeholder deposit on the LE of your choice. They already know how many of each they'll have.

#871 11 years ago

If you've read this thread, you know what we know

#952 11 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

What is that long thing that runs the width of the playfield.

All I can tell you is that dotted lines usually indicate something that is hidden (ie. underneath the pf). but, the way it crosses those arrow inserts is a bit unusual.
Others "in the know" have already confirmed no subway, so I'm stumped.

#954 11 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Wiring harness path? Do they put that stuff on the CAD?

nope. not that I know of.
I sure hope it's not a path for a sliding target ala TRS or BBH

Maybe it's floating above the main pf? It could be connected to that round green thing that looks like one of the pop-bumpers. I wonder what that is?

#957 11 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

I will be getting a good guy

Me too, just locked it down today! Sounds like the feature characters are going to be Magneto (villain) and Wolverine (hero)

#969 11 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Is it possible it is a myst-multiball type of path, or would that look a lot different on a CAD?

How about a moving/rotating wireform? Would something like that be possible?

#971 11 years ago

I took another look and I'm calling it a wireform that will feed the ball into the left plastic ramp.

#993 11 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

mnpinball said:Confirmed Nightcrawler represented.
Fantastic!! I was worried he wouldn't "make the cut."
Is he confirmed to be the pop up "trolls"? If so, then it is very unlikely that both mechs will be up at the same time?
Hmmm...

Same as the trolls in MM. Although they are both up during regular troll mode, when you start Troll Madness, they alternate. This will probably work the same way.

#997 11 years ago

No doubt the hero version will be the hot ticket.

#1000 11 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Yeah, but that doesn't make sense for Nightcrawler. He can't be in TWO places at once!!

I think you misunderstood. MM does usually have both trolls up at once, but there is a different mode where they alternate. I'm sure the nightcrawler feature will work like that alternating mode and you'll have to catch him. Too bad there isn't an upper playfield for him to jump up to!

#1003 11 years ago

Because the villains are cool!

#1004 11 years ago

1000 give us some pics already!

#1008 11 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

I'm just saying that if you use Nightcrawler...then you really can't pop both of them up at the same time for ANY feature without ruining "plot-integrity."
(Which would feel more like "Whack-a-Mole").
Pete

Maybe, but still a great use of the theme. If he keeps popping up every time you hit him it might feel that way, but if he keeps disappearing until he's caught... and that's the end of the mode, it could be cool. More like CC

#1046 11 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

I think I'm Finally catching up on Orders and PM's What a 3 day period!!!
If you got any questions feel free to PM me

I guess Stern didn't want you to have much of a weekend by releasing that video on Friday JJ!
Must have been crazy

#1053 11 years ago

I think both are equally cool. In fact, villains may even look better... but it's X-MEN! Most people just associate with the heroes I think. Or, they're betting it will be more prized. Good bet.

#1057 11 years ago
Quoted from Snowdale:

Because Wolverine IS an X-men.

And Canadian of course
That's gotta make it worth even more LOL!

#1064 11 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

txstargazer3 said:Battery111 said:Sorry, having trouble quoting because I'm responding from my iPad.
I have the same issue. Is there any way to quote when using an iPad?

The 'quote selected text' doesn't work, but if you it the 'quote' hyperlink in the message header it works fine.
Brian
(sent from my iPad)

Yup, you can even quote multiple posts. You just have to go in and clean it up a bit if yu don't want the whole thing.
I'm almost exclusively on my iPad when on here.

#1070 11 years ago

Hopefully the pro and LE translites will be done the same way so they could be easily swapped out.
I got Wolverine, but would like to have a combo translite... depending on the art of course.

#1079 11 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Here's hoping X-Men has the 'full' DMD, and not the 2/3rd - 1/3rd DMD. Always disliked that.
Pete

That would be sweet. I never understood that format at all

Quoted from Baiter:

I'm actually surprised so many Wolverine choices considering he is mostly yellow, a color that gets any pin razzed when someone decides to spruce up the trim with it.

it's been confirmed blue.

#1107 11 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Too soon for hero version topper ideas?

Attachments images-1.jpeg (5.9 KB, 1 downloads) 2 hours old

I'd like to see a set of claws coming up through the backbox on my Wolverine LE... Maybe in an "X"?

How cool would it be to have some claws come up through the PF to trap the ball... like on TOTAN!

#1130 11 years ago
Quoted from jackal2001:

I think stern is realizing we dont like the artwork to consist of pics of actors...that is big time lame.

It will be back to the movies for Avengers so we'll see if actors will be on the pin.

At least hand drawn likenesses of the actors would be okay... Think TAF, IJ, DM, LAH, DH... I could go on and on. All those older games had a great hand drawn style eve thou they were licensed from films.

#1156 11 years ago

And don't forget that, with this business model, Stern is using the LE to essentially finance some of the pro run and to build interest in the game. The pro, at it's heart, is meant to be a pin that is put on location. Simple, low cost, easy to repair. For the collectors, there is an LE. The market has shown that most collectors will pay more for full featured pins. If you fall somewhere in between, the premium was a great option, but maybe it didn't make a lot of sense for Stern financially? Who knows?

#1158 11 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Can anyone confirm if we will see color changing GI or color changing inserts in this game? Would be very cool to keep the trend going. Perhaps not since Borg has so much other stuff in here??

ACDC premium/LE had a lot of stuff and they still managed to fit it in at a similar price point. We may see it again.

#1183 11 years ago

It's a pro. I read that as "professional", as in operator.
The point has been made several times before but people have to get over the idea that Stern is making dumbed down games. They're simply not. They are making the same cost effective and simplified games they have been making for years. All that has changed is that they've started catering to the collector market as well, even if it is in a smaller way than most of us would like.
Let's face it, we may all be collectors here and we may all wish that we could afford a collector quality game, but we are simply not the bulk of Stern's market. The operator is, and that is who Gary has to focus on.
So, instead of complaining (and trust me, I'm no Stern lover) we should just all be happy that they are still out there and finally starting to make games that can compete with the 20 year old dinosaurs we all know and love... even of there are only 400-500 of them made.

I don't pretend to understand Stern's model, but I'm happy to give Gary the benefit of the doubt and assume he knows what he's doing. He's made it this far! The premium model sounded like a great idea to most of us, but maybe there are some good reasons why Stern does not want to continue with this. Maybe they will revisit it again. I don't know? But I, for one, am not prepared to tell a man how to run his business unless I can do it better. A least JJP put his money where his mouth is. We'll just have to wait and see if he's right.

Just my opinion.

#1202 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

A few years back I would of agreed with you Drano. But now with pins on location becoming rarer and a huge increase in the home use market the pro really equates to a dumbed down version for those that can not fund an LE. Just sayin...

Hey Dude; sounds like that may be a North American phenomenon. I can't confirm with my own eyes but, from what I hear and read, pins on location are still thriving in parts of Europe (and in pockets of the US as well I'm sure) and that is likely Stern's bread and butter.

500 full featured games to go into people's homes is still a respectable number and it gives stern a production target. It also allows them to order and stock just enough parts without huge overhead.

I work in a manufacturing industry and if you're going to offer the premium option with an unlimited run, you have to stock up for that run one way or another. You have to invest in tooling and other things to ensure you can meet demand. If the game flops, you're stuck with a whole lot of investment.

If every game was a Tron, investing in making their own toys and in having thousands of fiber-optic lighting systems for a premium would be a no-brainer, but I doubt Gary has a crystal ball.

You can easily make the argument that JPOP or SkitB are not catering to the market either by only making a very limited amount of games. And, in JPOP's case, at a large premium.

#1210 11 years ago

I suspect we will see a Premium.
They're not going to announce it right away and kill LE sales... although I know both will sell well enough. But, if what I'm hearing is true, and Stern has invested in creating custom toys (which means custom molds and tooling), then it is very unlikely they would do that for just 500 games.
The only fly in the ointment is of those toys are common to both LE and Pro versions... in which case the volume is already there to justify the tooling costs... and not having premiums won't matter.
All in good time. Is it tomorrow yet???

#1214 11 years ago

Agreed. I think we're all getting a bit ahead of ourselves.

#1338 11 years ago
Quoted from rai:

is it just me or does WoZ look better than XM at this point?

It's not just you. Nobody's really seen XM yet so, by default.....

They put together a neat game for sure. But this will be like comparing apples and oranges. When we see the hand drawn art and all the toys, I think XM will compare nicely. It may not look as full or as fancy, but I have no doubt it will kick butt in the gameplay department.

#1437 11 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

GAP said:rumor, I am hearing a rumor of late wed or Thur.
Probably not until the show is done. He does not want Jack to be able to respond to anything while at a live televised event. Nor does he want Jack to have that sample game working that day and possibly taking any of the thunder away from his "unveiling". I would'nt be the first time I was wrong though.

This would make a lot of sense.

#1543 11 years ago
Quoted from vcloverjr:

Shapeshifter said:Hopefully Stern will reduce their prices in a response to JJP's WOZ
Distributors are saying that Stern's price is a $100.00 more than was speculating initially.

And if demand was lower they would be saying it was $100 less!
I love how they make an announcement on the game, then gauge demand, and then set a price. This delay in releasing photos is not by accident. They're simply sitting back and watching.

This is likley an easy grab for $50,000 to $60,000 extra above the line profit for GS.
Question I have is, if a distributor has already given you a price, can they now simply raise it?

#1575 11 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

pingod said:
That won't be the price in Canada,thats for sure.
We always pay about a grand more then you guys in the States.
Or more.
I don't know how you guys afford vices over there. Last time I went fishing there it was $44 for a case of Coor's light. I'd have to dry out if I lived on your side of the river.

There's your mistake. Buying Coors Lite in Canada!
Especially when you can get "real" beer up here for about $30 a case and twice as strong. Don't you know they ship that stuff up here just for you 'merican tourists

#1583 11 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

I think the price will around $6400-$6700 depending on distributor

That's pretty consistent with what I've heard. Not sure about Canada yet.

#1625 11 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

I bet today! I am in a better mood after sleep.

I sense you're a glass half full kinda guy CG.
I'm not holding my breath

#1652 11 years ago

Oh man, I just got back to my desk and saw 24 unread posts. I thought this was it for sure!!!
Arghhhhhhhhhh!

#1710 11 years ago

Excuse the noob question here, but how would most of you assume the Wolverine bash toy works?
I don't have many games with a real bash toy aside from MM and I would assume the figure is just supposed to take a beating and not move... except he looks raised off the playfield. Am I seeing this wrong? How would you hit a toy that's raised above the ball?
If the figure just sits above a target that gets "bashed", swapping him out for something cooler might be a real option and it would make my decision on whether to keep my preorder a lot easier.

I hate that Stern games almost always NEED mods to make them seem right.

#1865 11 years ago

Do you guys think the ball is meant to make contact with the wolverine figure or not?
He seems elevated in the photos. If there's a target or something underneath, swapping him out might not be too big a deal.

#1870 11 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

No, the Wolverine toy is up off the PF. There will be a strike plate/target at the waist to hit.

Well, that's good news!
I've got one on preorder but I'm still on the fence. Obviously gameplay is the biggest question with the Wolverine toy potentially being too close to the flippers and also impacting the path off the balls released from the spinner/magnet. It's at least good to know that my cosmetic issues of the figures and trim can be dealt with.

I wonder what The height of the existing figure is?

#1875 11 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Wish Stern would release a video
LE's are already getting hard to find!

I'm pretty sure Gambit is right. I don't think I've ever seen a pre-release video from Stern.
Just gotta make your own judgment from the playfield layout.
I think it will be a very cool game (similar to Tron of course), but there are just a couple of elements on the LE that may effect gameplay in ways none of us can guess. It's a gamble. At least the theme is a no brainer and, as much as I can moan about the figures and the trim, this is definitely the most robust game I've seen from Stern in a very long time. I don't think many owners or XMEN fans will be truly disappointed with it.

#1970 11 years ago
Quoted from jhoward1082:

It's out, somewhere...

Oh man!!! That's awesome.
It's a pro too. Too bad that wasn't video.
Where did you find this?

2 weeks later
#2346 11 years ago

I vote for hinged nightcrawler and the ball slips down into the opening. There is plenty of clearance for that target to rotate.
But, that plastic just looks like it's begging to be cracked. Maybe a hinge would absorb some of the shock of impact?

#2362 11 years ago

That Decal kind of looks like a pain in the ass to replace on the ice ramp, lol

Someone needs to do a custom paint job on that ice ramp and get rid of the metal look. I already found an awesome 3" iceman to ride the top of that baby!
Check these bad boys out!

X-MEN.JPGX-MEN.JPG

#2369 11 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

That WOULD be cool...
You could even put a small magnet underneath him to pull him alongside the ball down the ramp!
(Even though it would only work one time... )
Hey,
I'm just spitballing here!
Put a reset cable on it.

Now that would be something!

#2396 11 years ago

Yup! Super reasonable considering most of the figures could be used in this pin and they appear to be well sculpted and detailed for such a small size. Even the poses are cool compared to standard action figures. Pheonix is the only one that has a shot in the game that isn't represented.
I picked up a few of both sets just in case the night crawler figure can be used in any way as a mod for the pop-up targets.
The first thing I'm going to try and mod is that ice ramp though. There has to be a way to paint and possibly even add some resin or acrylic to it to make it appear more ice-like.
I think that a custom molded or cast acrylic ramp over a metal spine would have been much more appropriate. A single decal along the bottom would have hidden the metal spine... but what do I know?

#2626 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

There was definitely inspiration here!
I wouldn't be surprised if we heard some of these quotes as well.
Wonder if this table ushered in the chance for stern to use this licence.
» YouTube video

The playfield art, dots and callouts on that game are awesome. Stern should hire some of those dudes!

#2778 11 years ago
Quoted from Donnyman:

Is that a red laser or light under Magnetos hand pointed at the magnet with a spinning disk. Some pics you see i.t red and some you don't

Might be DMD reflection on the magnet top.
The disk is likely less reflective so it appears as a dot on the magnet pole.
The playfield outside the disk shows similar reflection.

#2788 11 years ago

Thanks for posting ThunderLips!
So, you never got to hit a nightcrawler target to see if it did anything beyond register a hit? Is that correct?

#2871 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

I really need to see this film!! It will undoubtedly make the pin make more sense!!

Without a doubt.
The way you are supposed to make your way through TRON's rule set is identical to the plot of the film.

#2880 11 years ago

Is Canada considered Domestic?

They do have to put different coin mechs on the Canadian games... but doubt they would consider them international as the shipping times from Chicago to almost anywhere in Canada would be roughly the same as shipping to California.
Hopefully sometime in August for us.

I've never played Twister but how would you guys say the spinning magnet compares? The videos I've seen seem like the Twister effect is more controlled and circular where the few examples we saw in this video appeared more erratic.

Either way, can't wait!
Got some of my 3" Disney figures in the mail. Here's Nightcrawler. He comes off the base easily.

photo.JPGphoto.JPG

#2886 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Its bad here folks. I bet it feels like a 130 in that building right now. There is a cut of from osha on heat temps indoors. I know when i ran Timberlodge Steak House i had to send employees home when the hoods stopped working in the kitchen. It got over 140 in there.

That can't be good for people... or playfield inserts

#2989 11 years ago

On Tron they installed a rectangular piece of Mylar in front of the scoop. I would expect the same with XM

#3230 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Well Monger "rises" ....Nightcrawler "pops" ....anyone with a MM wanna chime in?

During Troll Madness, which is a MB mode where the two trolls alternate, there are usually one or two ball pops into the glass. Never had an issue though.
The Nightcrawler mode sounds very similar to this. The only difference is that it sounds like Nighcrawler might alternate a bit more quickly.

#3269 11 years ago

Anyone in Canada heard anything about an ETA?
I'm still waiting to hear.

#3294 11 years ago

My XM is HERE!!!!
Well, sort of. Just got the word that my distributor (who is about 10 minutes up the highway from me) has my pin. Just gotta go up there and pick it up.

Unfortunately, I cant get a van and head up there for a day or two. ARGHHHHHHH!

#3298 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Oh man that is a tough one bro! You would get to be the official unboxing post guy! Go get a uhaul and grab that sucker and show us the pics!

I know

Gotta work though. but Fridays are only half-days for the Summer, so maybe I can swing it then.

#3308 11 years ago

His priorities are all out of whack. Adriano get your ARSE IN GEAR!

Might have some help on the way from a local Pinsider and all-around good guy

On a different note, check out these bad-A$$ custom blades I just cut for my Wolverine LE!

photo_2.JPGphoto_2.JPG

#3321 11 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Unfortunately where I work all the tools are of the human variety.

Not all that different from here then

Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Drano, you're an idiot, there I said it. You have all that time to do all that wH2o restore bullshit, with all that shop equipment....yet can't get some sort of vehicle ( a van is overkill) to pick up a pinball down the street? You are officially pissing off the whole world at this point, please reevaluate your priorities and make the correct decision

Hard to argue. I am mad at myself, trust me.
I wasn't expecting to get the call today and there is just no way I'm getting up there today.
Bad timing is all.

#3331 11 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

What the heck, dude. You've got to know SOMEBODY with a van or truck that can help you out.
Ten minutes away? You could grab a hand truck and walk it home...
Pete

Hmmm. Pick up the kids at daycare or go get my pin. Tough choice
It's getting delivered. Soon I hope.

#3356 11 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

Hot out of the box, gameplay video from a local collector in the Toronto area:
» YouTube video

Sweet!
Nice that the Canucks got these a bit quicker. We have to get some perks.
That takes some of the pressure off me for not picking mine up today

Thanks for posting!

#3398 11 years ago
Quoted from ShinyNick:

lol sorry guys, you're right I'm not that great a shooter!
I did keep trying to shoot Magneto because I noticed the lock wasnt working.
Stay tuned for more...

You give this crowd what they've been craving for weeks and it's still not enough LOL!!!

Thanks for posting. Maybe I'll have mine by tomorrow. You must have been at Playdium at 8:00am!

#3417 11 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Man, anyone know how to upload pics from an iPad?

Doesn't work.
I think we need a Pinside iPad app

#3430 11 years ago
Quoted from mcfly:

i hate it when all you guys go to sleep and the posts stop . more video please ..

Where are you located?
Nothing showing up on your profile.

I'll try to have a couple of extra cups of coffee for you today

#3538 11 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

So has anyone with a machine seen the Nightcrawler mode yet? Pro or LE? I wonder if it's in the shipping code. I've seen it flash up during the Blackbird random award selection, but so far that mode has been very camera shy.

After being ready for pickup for 2 days, mine is finally being dropped off today at noon.

Like all of my new pins, it's going to live in the office for a bit. Hopefully I'll get to unbox and play it today! Never thought I would be cursing the fact that it's Friday

#3624 11 years ago

Friday the 13th strikes!
I'm submitting this for most frustrating story of the day.

My XM Wolverine arrives on Wednesday... can't get it into my office until today (thanks Brock )
We're on Summer hours and the office closes at 1:00 on Fridays. I figure I'll have a few hours to move around my "work" pins and set up XM in my office in time to have a few games before the weekend.
I get the legs on (nice new metal plate is awesome and decals look great), I open it all up and am about to drop the balls in and BAM! My phone rings.
Its an emergency call and I have to leave right away! ARGHHHHHHHH!

I guess I'll have a reason to look forward to Monday

At least here are a couple of unboxing pics of XM #109

IMG_0471.JPGIMG_0471.JPG IMG_0477.JPGIMG_0477.JPG IMG_0478.JPGIMG_0478.JPG

#3641 11 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Always funny when people have time to post pics but can't play

Well, that was several hours later
And not so funny from my perspective. I'm itching to play it

#3677 11 years ago

I agree, there is a lot that was done well (code issues notwithstanding) I'm pretty excited overall.
Based on Nick Angel's videos and his mini review, it seems like the modes and dots are well integrated and thoughtfully planned out. I'm playing mine tomorrow for the first time so hopefully I will be able to confirm, but this does not seem the like usual fare from Stern. Hopefully some of the usual repetition has been replaced or at least paired with some good mode play with unique shots/goals/combinations to complete.

#3727 11 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I've wondered if it wouldn't be better to give the playfield plenty of time to dry out to help reduce dimpling, but who knows how much time passes between CC and shipping... could also be the CC they are using too.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. When I cc a playfield, I like to leave a 3 month window minimum before playing on it... preferably 6 months. I try to do it ahead of any other restoration work to give myself as much time as possible.

The XM playfields were likely cleared less than two months ago... probably a lot less.

#3794 11 years ago

I set mine up at the office last Friday but only just got to try it out today during lunch. I put about 10 games on it. Brock is coming by later today to help me put a few more plays on it.

First impressions: It's just a crapload of fun! It was hard to really get a handle on the rules and cyclops was the only shot I hit enough times to collect a mode, so I can't comment on any stacking ability yet. My game is #109 and does not seem to suffer from any of the issues posted by others. Maybe the very earliest ones had some QC issues?

No Nightcrawler. That was a bit of a bummer. Wolvie swicth does miss the occaisional hit, but then so do my MM trolls.

There are small things that seem a bit awkward like the way the ball sometimes falls into the scoop from the bumpers. That part was not as well done as Tron's. The disc sometimes behaves properly and other times seems to lack enough grip or power to really get a good effect. I think it needs a more rubberized surface vs. the rough texture.

Overall the game is just a hot mess. You are scrambling to make very tight shots (which are hihgly rewarding by the way), but you're constantly getting thrown around by Wolverine, the disc and that super-fast scoop return. There is a lot of random stuff happening while youre playing and I think it is almost as immersive as tron... but Tron has a Daft Punk soundtrack which helps in that department.

I did not notice much repetition in the callouts at all. I thought the sounds and light-shows were fantastic and I felt like I was playing a BW title when I looked up on the DMD. I might have prefered the chrome package on my Wolverine, but the blue is growing on me. Very comic book for sure.

In terms of flow? It has some, but there is some stoppage which is to be expected. It's a lot like tron in the way the ball moves around the field, but the ball just gets intercepted by the various magnets and disc, etc. a lot more. Aside form that, you do not feel like the two games are similar at all. Maybe the pro will be different?

Make no mistake, this is not going to be an easy game. I played 10 solid games with plenty of multi-balls, ramps and other stuff, and I felt like I barely acheived a single goal. Need more time on it for sure.

That's my mini review for now.

#3797 11 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

How is your sound out of your back box panel?

No issues at all with sound.
The only thing I do notice is the occaisional missed hit on Wolverine. Even then, it may be registering a hit, but he may not be reacting verbally or on the DMD because another mode or sequence is running. We saw this in Tron all the time.

Quoted from sd_tom:

So with the lazy scoop thing, IJ4 had the same.. Anyone just put a very small guide up or something to make the ball not ever drop in from a dribble in from the side? Or maybe Just having a cliffy on there might be enough to dissuade dribble in?
Though, given how rare nightcrawler is advertised, maybe more drop ins the better

I'm not a fan of this scoop. Tron's was a bit better designed in that you could nudge it in or allow it to drop. Here it is almost automatic if you are coming out to the left of the pops.

#3821 11 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

I have not found the points yet. That is for sure. You obviously need to start the 4 ball Magneto Multiball early - which isn't too hard if you hit your shots. Psylocke skill shot locks ball 1. You need to hit Magneto straight on with the next ball out and lock it for lock 2. Another light plunge to Rogue to lock #3. Then hit as many shots as you can with the forth ball out, to collect the team, and then hit the right orbit or Rogue shot to lock #4 and start the full Multiball. Can be done pretty quick. I haven't come close to defeating him yet, though.
Then, after the Multiball you can start working on the hero modes. There are definitely points in the Villains, but I am not sure what you hit to get the Villain mode lit at the scoop. Anyone figured that out yet?

Thanks for clearing that up Gambit. I couldn't figure out why my heroes were not lighting up.
I played several Magneto multiballs, but I guess I never had enough consistent shots afterwards to collect a hero... except for one cyclops, and that was likely a fluke.
Wolverine seems mostly consistent on my game, but he does miss the occasional hit. Like any leaf switch, it can obviously be set from super sensitive to not. I guess mine is somewhere in between. Still, I would have figured that the wolverine light would have been lit up on one of my 25+ games by now. At least now I know what I'm shooting for

Definitely a shooter's pin. You gotta be a sniper on some of those shots. With 10 shots on this playfield, there are no wide open gimmes here except for Wolverine and the scoop.

My villain insert was lit up at the scoop several times, but I'm not sure what I did to get it.

Thanks for the observations!

Did anyone else notice how the XMEN names on the large centre insert seem sunken? The clearcoat appears to have sunken into the text so that it is not perfectly smooth. I wonder how that will wear?

#3845 11 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Wow, this game almost seems too deep and hard!!
I want to be put off buying one but it sounds fantastic.
For those with LE, do you think it will be possible to make the Pro look more similar to the LE by adding all the right colored LED's??

There are going to be so many glaring differences in gameplay that I'm not sure making the pro just "look" like the LE is going to cut it. That works for Tron, but not XM in my opinion.

#3855 11 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

It's almost worth buying just for magneto multiball. It's off the charts!

I agree; and the lightshow before Magneto MB is also fantastic... the whole field goes red!
My only beef (and I don't know if this can be addressed with software) is that the magnet/spinner does not hold the balls long enough or consistently enough. I really wanted a Twister-like effect, but that only happens once in a while and it's not as powerful.

#3899 11 years ago

Played mine again this afternoon and had a few great games.
Finally defeated Magneto with one well placed shot just as my last multiple ball was draining down the outlane. Talk about cutting it close. The callouts are hilarious. Sort of reminds my of the King of Pain after you defeat one of his knights on MM.
I proceeded to try and collect some more XMEN and villain modes afterwards and nearly defeated Juggernaut and got cyclops flashing.

One bad thing to report. My kickout stopped functioning. Lifted up the PF and the switch was getting caught up on the opening in the metal scoop housing. Obviously needs some adjustment.

I had a couple of multiballs where the magnet and spinner seemed to "grip" better and the spinning effect started to resemble that of Twister a lot more. Maybe my balls were just too new and shiny to begin with

I love when the Wolverine and Magneto magnets and disc work together to fling the ball around the playfield with sounds of wolverine's blades slicing. Sometimes the ball gets launched straight up a ramp or the cyclops shot!

I finally feel like I'm starting to get the hang of it.

If anyone knows how I can get my hands on some LE parts to play with, I would love to attempt a mod of the Iceman moveable ramp and see if I can create something more ice-like! Any ideas?

#3911 11 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Drano, was it you that ordered the 2 sets of figures from Disney? If so, have you looked at putting them on your machine?

Yes, I ordered a couple of sets of the figures to play around with. I had them shipped to a friend in Rochester as they didn't want to ship to Canada. I probably won't see them for a couple of weeks.
However, I also ordered a few loose figures on eBay from the same set. Someone was selling them at $3 a piece. I also found a reasonable Pheonix that matched them in size, but was not from Disney. The loose ones will be arriving here this week I hope and I can play with them. I got a spare Nightcrawler sitting on my desk now and he is a perfect size. I'm most excited for the clear Iceman figure; he will look awesome riding the ramp.

I have the facilities to vacuum form a custom ramp and I really wanted to try and reverse engineer that clunky metal one. If I could get my hands on a spare, I could cut away the sides and leave the metal base and mounting mechanism intact. My new acrylic "ice" ramp would just mount over it and I'd use a decal to hide the metal spine.

#4036 11 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Question guys
What is the height of the Wolverine toy inside?
4 inches ?

More like 7"-8"

Quoted from TigerLaw:

Thanks for the info on the code update. That rocks to hear we will get such a quick update.

Mine shipped with code 1.1 already installed. I was #109. They must have completed it mid production.

#4083 11 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I've had Nightcrawler 3 times in less than 30 games so far. Completed it last time.
Dave.

Jealous. Still haven't seen it.

If it finally shows up while someone else is playing... I might just have to tackle them off the game.

#4117 11 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

Hopefully the coding can hold the balls to the magnet on the spinner a couple extra seconds.

Agreed! I made this comment on another XM thread, but if anyone at Stern is reading this, please start the disc spinning before the balls gets released from Magneto. If you've got 4 balls locked, they come down in a column and the fourth and sometimes third ball don't catch. It spoils an otherwise great effect. By spinning the disc first, there's a better chance all balls will make contact with the magnet in the middle.
Having them held for 2-3 more seconds would be awesome as well.

#4381 11 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

So when did Wolverine get so fat? On the first official pictures the Beast shot almost looks like a normal shot instead of the tight shot it has become. I wonder if having Wolverine positioned the original way made the Xavier shot to tight?

The Beast shot is very doable. It's not at all as hard as some obit shots on my other pins. Xavier is a little more tricky, but he's also way up the playfield and the posts around the Xavier shot make it harder to hit than Wolverine does.
Since Wolverine is so close, he's actually pretty easy to shoot around when you need to. I don't have any issues with mine so far. Could he be a bit smaller? Sure... but he's pretty okay as-is too.

#4390 11 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Not sure I'd agree that it feels like EITHER game.
I'd be hard pressed to say which game I'd compare it to...

Agreed. I know it's been said to death, but it feels like bits of a lot of games.
The shot through Beast to the upper flipper and left ramp is very TAF-like to me. The Nightcrawlers (not that I ever see them) are very MM of course. There's a little bit of Tron in there.
It does defy direct comparison though.

#4435 11 years ago

Thought you modders would like this.

My Disney figurines showed up. They are a nice size (2"-3" tall) and they are rubberized.
I can't say all of these will look good in the game. It might get too cluttered and look like a happy meal exploded in there, but maybe 2-3 of them carefully placed would really look nice. They definitely have to be seperated from thu ugly bases and I'll probably cut some custom platic mounts but, for now, I've just dropped them in the playfield for scale. There are others in the set like Rogue, Archangel, Nighcrawler etc...

I'm really excited about iceman! He's going to look cool riding that moving ramp!
I found a 3" Phoenix which does not come in the Disney set, but she is made of lead. Not sure if I'll use it or not. Have to remain tasteful

photo_1.JPGphoto_1.JPG photo_2.JPGphoto_2.JPG photo_3.JPGphoto_3.JPG photo_4.JPGphoto_4.JPG photo_5.JPGphoto_5.JPG

#4438 11 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

So the fix was to mount him so he is blocking the Beast lane (to varying degrees) and to cut off half of a plastic and cut off his elbow and you still have to have him mounted just right or his claws will be hitting the ramp.

I guess mine is mounted just right because he is way left of the magnet and I can still make that Beast shot all day long... and I'm no sniper.

I agree it's stupid to not have created a perfect solution for both games with a custom toy, but these things are often designed super early to acheive production deadlines and issues like this are not even considered until they suddenly pop-up. That's not an excuse, but it happens.

I really dont see the big deal here. The game plays great. Sure, some may need adjustment, but I don't own one pinball machine that doesn't.

#4456 11 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

well after about the 4th or 5th game I'm now hearing the knocking noise from the spinning disk

That's too bad. I've had mine over a week and I'm just waiting for it to happen... so far so good. I guess this might be a major issue Stern has to address/fix with this pin right across the board.

On another note, finally got awarded Nightcrawler after a week of play! I held up a flipper after hearing some of the "fixes" for this buggy mode. Ball comes out of the scoop.... no Nightcrawler pops up... ball promptly drains shortly afterwards

Anyone else experience NC not popping up at all... or did I just not have the mode running long enough to see it happen?

#4572 11 years ago

I'm a few days behind in this thread but has anyone experienced Wolverine not registering during Magneto mutli-ball? I know some guys had the moving ramp interfering with their figure, but that's not the case with mine. Is it just a software issue or is it intentional that he not register during MMB?

#4582 11 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

He lights for a jackpot (if you collected him prior to the MB start). Once you get a jackpot from him, he'll turn off until you collect another jackpot from elsewhere.
In other words, the software won't allow you to ONLY use Wolverine for jackpots.
Pete

Aha!
Makes sense. Thanks

#4764 11 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

New XMen code: do we just keep refreshing Sterns Game Code page until it shows up?

If the programmers are truly watching and listening to input from owners and people outside of stern, it will take some time for them to formulate what changes should/could be made and then implement them. These games have only been out in the world 2 weeks.

Sure, they could release a quick fix for the scoring, but I'd be willing to wait a couple more weeks for a more complete code update. I'm still having fun with it regardless.

#5224 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'd love to see someone create a shorter Iceman ramp that drops in the inlane, and an "Ice Dock" extension for the left ramp so the shorter bridge still connects.

This is an interesting idea. I don't have my game in front of me but I wonder if a hole further up the ramp would allow the ball to drop over a switch? This way you wouldn't need a dock or a shorter ramp. Obviously the current ramp wouldn't be able to accommodate a hole... but if you're going to the trouble of creating a modded ramp, it may be possible.

Edit: just realised this is a totally dumb idea would be hard to make shots cross over to the left side with a hole part of the way down the ramp LOL!

I'm waiting for that part to become available for purchase so I can buy a spare and attempt to make a better looking ice ramp using the same bracket/connection. I'm sure the ability to award a rollover from the ramp will at least be an option in a future revision of the code.

#5257 11 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

My right elbow on wolvie feels like they took a dremel to it. It is rough underneath and a hole I can get a finger in there. Can't see anything visually.

The elbow on mine has been clearly sliced off above the glove. You have to look closely to see it, but I'm pretty sure that they started doing this (as well and bending him way to the left) after the first few production models had ball hang up issues and ramp interference.

The fixes work great, but my only gripe is that the Beast shot should have been a bit more open than it currenlty is; an obvious attempt to keep wolverine's claws out of the way of the iceman ramp.

#5360 11 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I though single standup targets have done this since the dawn of time? It looks like the best suggestions would be to make the hole smaller in the playfield so the don't have room to shift right and left.

This has annoyed me for years. The left target on my TAF bear kick ramp always points outward and makes the Thing shot just that much tighter. It is very common.
A smaller hole wouldn't do anything since the target itself is wider than the arm of the switch. The hole has to be large enough to pass the target through. I'm just surprised nobody has ever come up with a plastic or metal spacer insert that could snap into place once the switch is installed. This would be the most effect method of keeping them straight up.

#5520 11 years ago

I'm curious whether any changes were made with regards to blackbird rollovers, mode stacking or memory progression?

#5670 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Ah, I'm jealous of those with the updated code installed . . . I won't be able to do mine until this weekend at the earliest, and possibly not till next weekend.

Don't feel too bad. I'm on vacation and wont see my game until Monday.
Still... I'm living vicariously through all of you.

#5908 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'm ok, because I killed MM last night. Made me feel better about sucking on X-Men!

Awesome Rob!
I finally started playing my MM with some strategy in mind about a year ago and it has been the toughest game to beat. I finally had all my blue inserts lit up this weekend for the first time and choked before starting BFTK.
I almost got rid of this game because I thought it was boring and repetitive. I'm glad I spent more time delving into the rules and watching some pros playing it. It's a totally different game for me now.

#5915 11 years ago

So... I really love to tinker.
I might shift my Wolverine over to the right a bit like Markmon and others have done, but I also picked up this bust recently. I got it cheap and I might try and see if I can do something with it.

I was thinking of taking an RTV mold of it and making my own (softer) copy... but my modelling experience isn't great. Or, I hack him off at the waist and make a custom mount and spine that will allow me to mount him onto the game. If I can wrap a blue flipper rubber around my new mount, the figure won't get pounded. I'd obviously be living in fear of airballs, but what the hey?
He's 4" from waist to the top of his claws so he's also about 2" shorter than the current figure. I also like how he stares up at you

What do you guys think?

Wolverine_01.jpgWolverine_01.jpg Wolverine_02.jpgWolverine_02.jpg

#5919 11 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Would love to see what that Wolverine figure would look like installed Drano!

I know. My only fear is that the two figures will no longer match (stylistically).

I should get him in the mail this week. I'll post a side-by-side comparision pic when he gets here.
Finding time to make a mold or a mount will be another matter altogther

#5953 11 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Drano I'm sure i have seen that figure before and I'm sure there are others in the collection, maybe magneto? What make is the bust?

It's from Diamond Select and they have 5 figures in their "Astonishing X-Men series" magneto is not one of them.
Diamond select does however make a 7" Magneto that is not done in quite the same way... But he could be a good fit (size-wise) to replace the current figure. He also has the option of a removable helmet.

They're not very cost effective, but if you can find a good deal like I did on CL, it might be worth trying.

Here's wolverine:
http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/products/marvel/minibust/minibust_mu_aston_wolverine.asp

And Magneto:
http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/products/marvel/minibust/minibust_mu_magneto.asp

#5963 11 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Here is the Wolverine I've found just need to workout what size/height the stock wolverine is and if this will fit, I'm looking at a PRO so don't have to worry about his claws blocking the iceman ramp which I think this bust might do due to its high left arm.
http://www.digital-toys.com/WOLVIEBANK.gif

I haven't measured the current one, but he's about 6" tall I would guess.
The only issue you might come across is that the hands/arms might be too low and the ball won't roll under... much like some of the early stock wolverine figures were doing. I did see this one during my search, and the rubberised piggy bank material was appealing... but I might just try casting a copy of the one I found first in some type of soft resin. how hard can it be?

#5988 11 years ago

Not sure I'm feelin' it.
I wanted to try a $6 mod on my Wolverine and swapped out the chrome T-molding for some yellow.
What do you guys think?
I might live with it for a couple of days and see how I feel then.

My original idea was to use blue, but finding a match was impossible. I did however find some Krylon plastic paint that bonds to PVC. I might paint up the blue that I bought and try that tomorrow.

It beats spending hundreds of $$$ on chrome armor though

XMLE_yellow.JPGXMLE_yellow.JPG

#5991 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Not feeling it one bit, not ooooonnnnnneeeee bit.
Would like to see a chromed out wolverine.

I know; it's a bit too much. I'll try blue next. If that doesn't work I've lost $12 in T-molding and $5 in paint.
If all else fails I might consider upgrading to all chrome, but I still like the blue comic book style of the current trim. I just wasn't crazy about the chrome head cab with the blue.

#5994 11 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

Bad idea. It's yellow overkill.

I agree, but it was worth a try and the 5 minutes it took
I really hope the blue looks better because I really don't want to spend all that money on chrome trim and legs... but I might just have to. I really don't care for the stock chrome head cab together with the blue.

#6009 11 years ago

Ow, that hurts my eyes.

Okay Rob,
I didn't want to be responsible for any permanent damage to your retinas.
Here's the blue. The paint works great and dried in minutes. Just pick up 9' of cheap dark blue 3/4" T-molding and some KRYLON Fusion for plastics - Patriot Blue.

I like this much better and will just set aside the stock chrome in case I ever change my mind.

photo_1.JPGphoto_1.JPG photo_2.JPGphoto_2.JPG

#6015 11 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Bravo Drano
Think this is proof if a pin has powder coated trim that the backbox being matched adds to the visual cohesion, powder coated trim with standard chrome t molding never looks right.

I agree, but I can also see why they don't do this.
It's like this stuff all comes from the same place and only 5-6 colors are available worldwide. Trust me, I tried to find a perfect match and it does not exist. If Stern wanted to match the T-Molding they'd probably have to place a custom order for thousands of feet in their desired colors.
The paint trick works nicely and it actually feels bonded to the PVC, but I can't see Stern ging to those lengths. It'll do for the home hobbyist though. I'd probably never powdercoat a game, but since this one already comes this way, I'm happy with the result

#6029 11 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

I still think the chrome looks better

I thought about it. Even had two separate shopping carts from PDI and PBL all ready to go. Then, at the last minute before pulling the trigger on a $800+ purchase, I thought hell, the blue trim is part of what makes this pin unique. Besides, with all the issues Stern was having with that chrome trim, I just decided to try the under $20 solution first and see what it felt like.
Maybe if I had a SM to move the blue onto I could justify it, but the blue T-molding works just fine for me.

#6034 11 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Out of interest Drano what colours are avaliable I know you said there is only like 6 colours avaliable, really? 6 colours of t molding in the world?

LOL!
Well, not sure if there are only 6, but it sure felt that way. Every place stocked the same stuff and only two tones of blue. One is too dark and almost purple (that's what I used to paint over) and a light blue. But, the Krylon paint I referenced is a perfect match.

For any Magneto owners, this "blood red" might be a good match?
http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75&products_id=219

#6062 11 years ago

My mini Wolverine bust came today.
Here's a bad pic showing them side by side. With the base, the bust is almost as tall as the current figure. If he were sliced down and placed on a custom bracket, he would be substantially smaller.

Next step is to see how difficult it might be to create an RTV mold of this figure and try casting one in a hard rubber material. Might be too much work, but it could be fun nonetheless.

WV.JPGWV.JPG

#6064 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Is it porcelain?

Resin. It would not last long as it is unless it was mounted high up on a custom base that was designed to take the impact. The claws are surprisingly flexible though.

I was thinking that, if I did make a custom base, it could be designed to accept a flipper rubber. That would absorb much of the impact and the figure isn't really exposed to a ton of danger from airballs where he currently sits.

But, before I do any of that, I want to take a RTV casting of the figure.

#6069 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Send it to Brock. Stock Logan looks like poo poo. I can say this i have been reading XMEN since 1983

Seeing him tomorrow. Maybe he can impart some wisdom

Quoted from eggbert52:

There is NOTHING wrong with Wolverine!! And there is a reason none of those other Wolverine figures look good on the game. They look more like they are based on a movie and not cartoon-ish like they should be.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the current Wolverine... aside from the fact that he had to have his arm sliced off to prevent hang-ups, he had to be swerved left to avoid the moving ramp (blocking Beast in the process), and he's about two sizes too big.
But aside from all that, I'll likely still keep him since I prefer a stock look, but it won't prevent me from messing around with an alternate option.

If the two figures matched the game's artwork a bit more and didn't look like they were rubbed in baby oil, I might not mind so much.

Someone here on Pinside had all their MB figures custom airbrushed and they look fantastic. I think, at the very least, these figures could do with a paint job.

#6118 11 years ago

Still at factory (meaning wide open)... but I've been considering closing them up a bit just to see what happens.

#6120 11 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

I am with Rob - I like the Beast....

Original position - haven't changed anything yet.... Still havent done the e-clip either...

I think Beast offers some comic relief. I don't mind him at first, but he does get old fast.

Is the e-clip fix something that everyone should consider? I mean, is it preventative? My disc does not make any noise yet.

#6125 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

If yours isn't making noise I wouldn't sweat it. But I highly recommend buying the e clip next time your at lowes or home depot. I bought mine ahead of time to be safe but had no issues. Then a week into owning the pin, out of nowhere, it started making a lot of rattling. Pulled out my Pre ordered e clip and had it back running in 10 mins and is smooth and silent than it ever was.

Good advice. What size clip was it again?
I'm placing a large order with PBL anyway. Might as well throw a couple on there.

#6258 11 years ago
Quoted from HemiOrange09:

I am not trying to steal anyones idea and I have been not keeping up on the X-Men thread. Last night I was reading up on this thread and I see Drano was looking into installing a different Wolverine figure in his machine on page 118-121, I have already modified that exact figure and installed one in my machine about a week ago. Here are some pictures of it in my machine. I am ordering a replacement mount assembly from Stern in case I want to put the original Wolverine back in the machine.

Hey, valiant effort!

I agree, the base has to go, but something will need to be under him in order to keep the elbows high enough to avoid balls. The flipper rubber is exactly what I had thought of using if a custom base was to be made. Did you actually remove the metal post? I'm curious how it registers hits?

In any case, I probably wont get around to making a casting of mine for a while, so I'm happy to see this one in the game for comparison. The painting on Magneto would most certainly need to be matched up.

#6300 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

LOL, I am so behind on this thread...I'm just enjoying version 1.2 and the scoring correction. Anyone know when the Cliffy will be ready for this game?

I've already got one installed on the scoop and ball eject. Contact Cliff.

#6303 11 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I know I have problems with inserts flashing during game play that shouldn't (and it's getting worse). This is very noticeable when you go into the lamp column test and there are 5 - 10+ lights flashing that shouldn't. Stern is supposed to be sending me another LED control board that goes near the scoop. If this is the issue....I have heard of several others having the same problem that I'm sure will want replacements also.

I have had the same issue from day one with the villains insert, and I recently noticed it on the special on my left outlane. Is this something people are experiencing universally, or just some of us? I just assumed it would be dealt with via software. Maybe I should contact Patrick as well.

1 week later
#6547 11 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

I personally will probably never buy another LE. Not because of anything with X-men, I love mine, but the only reason I went with an LE for X-men was because I the theme hit all the right buttons for me. Even if there would've been a Premium I still would've went for the LE. However that will most likely never be the case again. If they don't have Premium models for future games I can't see myself buying NIBs at all.

Same here. I love my wolverine, but I don't see any upcoming theme that would prompt me to spend the money again... especially since they seem determined to cover every freaking superhero ever conceived. And, abandoning the whole premium concept has also left a bad taste in my mouth.
Glad I got it, I think it's a seminal pin by Stern, but I'm also glad that my collection is nearly complete (for now )

#6567 11 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

So is mine
Had to replace spinner motor, now my Aux board is toast. And get the flickering LED's.
I know Stern will send me replacement parts. Fixing these items on my time is not super cool.
The price reflects a fully functioning device (one would think). A reduction in price, reflecting the hours of labour taken to get the product I paid for would be welcome.

Hey Bud,
This won't fix your other issues, but I just seperated the orange wire on that harness leading to the LED board where my villain insert kept ghosting and it's gone. Not sure if you saw the post on this.

It's a long connector that goes from that board to one further back in the game. Clip the 2 or 3 zip ties and separate the orange wires from the others. It worked fine.

#6570 11 years ago

One other thing.
I just moved my pin and now it's starting to release two balls out of the magneto lock instead of one. Sometimes the 2nd ball gets launched upwards. I'll have to go back and see if I changed the pitch drastically when I relocated it, but I know others were having this issue a while back.
Was there a different fix that wasn't pitch related?

#6666 11 years ago

Has anyone done a full rundown or review of the XM rule-set yet?
I think I have most of the modes figured out but I still struggle to complete some of them. For example, I sometimes complete Weapon X while other times I'm playing it forever. Not sure what combos I'm hitting or not hitting that would complete modes like weapon X, Pheonix etc... Beast, Rogue, Storm, Xavier and cyclops are fairly straightforward.

The villain modes are even worse. Juggernaut is easy to figure out but is there a way to accelerate some of the others? I can't seem to destroy enough sentinels for example to finish the mode. Ive only done it a couple of times so far.

I'm sure the info is all posted here somewhere but it's just a lot to get through.

#6674 11 years ago

Thanks guys, this helps a lot.
Time to get back at it

Can't wait for pinball news to do a full rundown... But I guess they'll wait for a more completed code before that happens.

#6687 11 years ago
Quoted from Nightstick:

does anyone know which type of leds they used on the le and what brand, ie. cointaker or pinballlife. I have the pro and am not sure exactly which brand and what type(frosted, flat, super bright, whatever) would be best. colors I can pick out, its the style i'm not sure about.

I think this was covered waaaaaay back in this thread somewhere. Pretty sure they are Cointaker LEDs, but not sure which type?

#6703 11 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I may try the blue T-Molding trim on my Wolvie as someone had posted earlier. It looked really nice.

It was the best $10 I ever spent
Makes the game look very finished along with my blue mirror blades (shameless plug)

Make sure to get the KRYLON paint for plastics (Patriotic Blue is a perfect match). Let it cure a couple of days.

#6706 11 years ago

I finally got around to playing with the Disney Store 3" XM figures.
I cut each from their base and just started plopping them down in the playfield. Some have great potential once I can get custom plastic mounts made up.... others are just a bit too much.

Since I know you all love pictures, here are a few ideas.
Will post more finished pics once I get these done up properly.

IMG_0736.JPGIMG_0736.JPG IMG_0738.JPGIMG_0738.JPG IMG_0739.JPGIMG_0739.JPG IMG_0742.JPGIMG_0742.JPG IMG_0743.JPGIMG_0743.JPG

#6708 11 years ago
Quoted from muttonboy:

It's really neat how the figures look exactly like the artwork.

I know!
Except for Storm in her white outfit, the rest are really a good match.
I should state the the Phoenix in my pics is not part of the set. She's a small lead figurine that came packaged with a comic book. Found it on eBay I think for $5.

#6712 11 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

They all look pretty good. Gambit will eventually get hit though.I had an airball fly over that pop bumper and kill the led in it.

Gambit was not correctly placed. There are two good places to put him. Either on a clear acrylic "bridge" bewteen the two front bumpers so his legs look like he's straddling them or, he can be placed on the left ramp return just above the bumpers and hididng that switch. Again, his legs would be straddling the ramp, so it would look pretty cool.

Quoted from Pinballer22:

Question...how did you attach the ice man figure?

I didn't. These were all just placed as a test. I'll have to make a clear plate for him and, worst case, I drill a few holes into the plate and zip-tie him through the openings on the ramp... but I think I can do better than that.

I think cyclops will eventually move to the top of the iceman ramp so he sits high above his shot. Rogue will likely do the same on the left side. This way, almost all of the figurines can be mounted on or near the ramps which looks more balanced and it keeps them out of the way of the game play.
I also have a great alternate palcement for Xavier where he hides the opening of the VUK and sits right above the exisitng plastic facing down the ramp. But, to make it look good, the Xavier decal on the chute would have to be masked... tw prof X's just look weird
We'll have to wait and see.

#6713 11 years ago
Quoted from muttonboy:

Edit - Also! you need to get that green lock target out of Xaviers lane Drano!

PLEASE tell me how?
I've moved it in but it keeps going back. I can make the Xavier shot quite easily though, so it doesn't bother me too much.

#6715 11 years ago

Okay, thanks.
I do remember Akuma's suggestion but, like I said, I can get that shot pretty regularly.
I do have the same issue on my MM, TAF and a coupple of others though. Someone needs to come up with a plastic grommet or insert to fill the gap. Sadly, every switch opening can be different.

#6727 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Heh. No comparison really, Greg's honeymoon with TF lasted WAY longer than mine did with XM!
So strange that Tron is one of my favorite pins *ever*.....and XM is basically a reversed layout of that pin.

It's all about chemistry and Tron has it.
I'm a designer and I know what happens when you try to do too much. I'm not ready to give up on XM just yet. It still does pull me back and I'm praying for some improvements with the new code, but it does sometime feel "busy" and unsatisfying. A lot of that for me comes down to almost unattainable goals for villains and the lack of a SoS type completion mode to reach Danger Room.
The thing that really annoys me the most however, is how cheesy some of the voice work and script are.
Let's just say the jury is still out.

#6817 11 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

THe XM shots certainly clunk if you mishit them, like any shot in any game

I sort of compare XM to IJ in some ways. A lot of the shots are tight and not easily made consistently by the average player. IJ gets a lot of hate as a result and is called out for being clunky or not having any sort of flow. You miss the shot and the ball flails between the slingshots.

XM is similar in this respect. You need to be a sniper and have great timing, otherwise it just isn't fun and feels like work. This game will be made or broken by the next update. There is nothing wrong with the shot layout and I can easily avoid Wolverine up front until its time to hit him.
I've even had 50-60mil point games with extra balls where I have not started weapon X MB.

Maybe not to everyone's taste, but that's just fine by me. I bought this game knowing full-well that it might be traded... but I don't think that's the case anymore.

#6836 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Nice, you just coined a new phrase. "Lawlorly". I like it! lol

Much better than Lawlor-esque

#6871 11 years ago

My NC behave about the same. At first my left one was getting caught up on something and wouldn't come up. After adjusting him, everything is fine.

#6933 11 years ago

Just to shift gears for a minute.
I installed the shaker in mine and, not sure of this is typical, but I get some crazy rattle during mags MB and other key modes like when I hit the pops during Beast.

I have one in my TRON that does not seem so aggressive. Anyone else experience this? What can be done about it? I'm wondering if it's coming from the glass?

I don't have a ton of experience with shakers and Sterns in general.

#6936 11 years ago

I used to buy this special tape you could wrap around the sides of the glass for a tighter fit; not sure where I got it. I wonder if that would help?

#6970 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Likely the shaker isn't tightened down well enough. It should be similar to other shakers as far as rattle.

Well, the shaker is plenty tight. Any more and I risk snapping the bolts... Not that I could get any more torque on them if I wanted to. It does feel more related to the glass or maybe some other element like the cash box? Maybe I'll take that out and see. I do notice XM using the shaker much more aggressively than Tron.

I'll try the electrical tape as well... maybe that'll help.

#6993 11 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

I think the casual players that buy a NIB may fair better in the long run if they are not playing their machine everyday. The clear coat definitely has more time to harden and isn't as susceptible to dimples.

I would agree with this. My XM was shipped to my office and sat there with minimal plays for a few weeks until I could make room at home. It has a few dimples from those first couple of weeks and I purposely laid off it a bit.
Now that it's at home (and getting 10-15 plays per day) I don't see the dimpling progressing nearly as fast. They just shipped them way too fresh. When I clear a PF it is usually at the start of my restoration and it sits at least 3 months before I get to reassembly... usually more. I have yet to see noticeable dimpling on any of my restored PFs .

#6998 11 years ago

I don't buy into the whole steel vs wood argument completely. Sure steel on bare wood is going to show dimpling. However, the clearcoat is there to protect that wood and offer more spread out protection that actually helps to bridge the shorter/weaker fibers of the wood into an umbrella-like sheet that is stronger. A properly cured clearcoat is a lot harder than wood along the the edge of its grain.

Sure, both wood and clear with get dinged over time, but they should not look like the surface of the moon. I have 20 year old routed games that do not Look like this.

Quoted from sd_tom:

Isn't that on stern though to get them cleared ahead enough in the schedule so they have time to harden if that's really the deal?

Getting parts produced 3-6 months ahead of assembly is rarely done anymore. You can thank Toyota for "just in time" manufacturing methods. Also, I'd bet they were drawing and approving artwork right up to the end.

#7135 11 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

Does anyone know of a way to change the bright Villian led boards out to a different color?

Well, a simple way would be to apply a thin sheet of colored gel like the ones sometimes used to wrap around flourescent lights to create a color effect. slip it between the LED board and the insert. Tape it down and voila! New color for a couple of bucks
You could probably just unscrew the board and then screw it through the gel film.

lighting_color_gels_med.jpglighting_color_gels_med.jpg

1 week later
#7357 11 years ago
Quoted from powerslave:

My new X-men is coming after work
Now I'm waiting for Avengers

Congrats!
I might have considered a trade for that LOTR you had for sale plus some money... Oh well.
Enjoy your new XM!

#7442 11 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

I don't think there is a software problem as I only count three people having any issue with the switch at all.

I'm #4

3 weeks later
#7494 11 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Man, you guys are all glass "half empty" types. =)
The music is spectacular, the art is fantastic, and the DMD show is phenomenal!
Pete

True, but you conveniently left out the voice work
I'm holding tight and praying it gets addressed, but I can't lie; it bothers me too. Sorta like they went 90% of the way on this pin and then cheaped out on the voices.

Some characters are great, but I can think of few games with voices and callouts worse than Beast, Storm and even Phoenix.

#7498 11 years ago

My issue with Storm and Phoenix are not so much the voices... It's the cheesy lines
But, I agree, the game is fantastic and any debate is really pointless until we see the upcoming power pack.
If it's half as comprehensive as the one ACDC got, we'll be in great shape.
The only knock on gameplay is definitely the difficulty level. They certainly overshot I think.

#7510 11 years ago
Quoted from BrianR73:

Personally difficulty is the main reason I love the game. Make it too easy and its not fun. I don't like games I can solve after 6 months, when that happens, I get bored and for spending over 6k for a machine.

I fully agree... but throw us a bone for getting to all the hero modes and maybe not completing one or two. Same for villains. Mini wizard modes and stepped acheivements are a great way to keep the game interesting for novice to intermediate players while still maintaining the deeper rule-set and reward for full completion of the modes.

I think the game could definitley use some rewards and better callouts/effects to make you feel like you've done something. Right now, completing anything just gets you a ho-hum response, if any. Even the outlane drains are weak!
IMO, this game needs to grow a pair in that department. It deserves it!

2 weeks later
#7580 11 years ago

I have a sctrict one superhero pin limit
There are too many great themes and licenses out there to fill my basement with the Marvel universe. XM will likely stay put since I prefer the comic art style and the layout appeals to me. I'll enjoy avengers elsewhere or, if it's really super game-changing, I'll do a swap... but I don't think that is going to be the case.

1 year later
#8657 9 years ago

Sold my Wolverine a few days aso, #109. Well, traded for a very nice CV.

I liked the game a lot but the process getting there was pretty painful.
I was also one of the first guys in N.A. to take delivery so I've had it from day one and been on the whole roller coaster ride.

I think it's a great game now, but I was ready for a change.
I think XMLE is just too good with deep code, awesome art and dots and great modes to not become a top 10 Stern title. The low production numbers will also make this title very collectable one day... but then there's the "stern vault"

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drano.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men?tu=drano and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.