(Topic ID: 16030)

X-Men - Official Club Thread All Welcome!

By pmWolf

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by KING-HENRY
  • Topic is favorited by 116 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2289 (resized).jpeg
20231210_114221 (resized).jpg
20231210_114216 (resized).jpg
20231210_114212 (resized).jpg
20231210_114207 (resized).jpg
20231210_114159 (resized).jpg
20231015_221002 (resized).jpg
20221212_175404 (resized).jpg
20231202_132135 (resized).jpg
IMG_9543 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9544 (resized).jpeg
gg (resized).JPG
xmen (resized).PNG
MB (resized).PNG
20230806_161030 (resized).jpg
IMG_2846 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9492 X-Men Ramp Post mod Posted by bballfan (9 years ago)

Post #9499 X-Men 1.51 Rulesheet Posted by frg (9 years ago)

Post #9522 Link to newton ball info Posted by pmWolf (9 years ago)

Post #9523 Newton Ball purchase link Posted by pmWolf (9 years ago)

Post #11002 New Magneto figure installed. Posted by vbittnv (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider LesManley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4218 11 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

It is tough, I beat the Sentinels tonight. I beat Juggernaut in a different game. To do all 7 would be tough, very tough. Collecting the x-men also tough. Wolverine seems very easy to collect (not complaining) and cyclops is a pita.

How do you beat the Juggernaut? It seems like all the shots just increase the jackpot. How do you collect it?

#4245 11 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

Just scored 15 million and it seemed like I had to work my ass off to get that. And that doesn't seem like a good score at all! I am getting my ass kicked averaging 7 million a game. What are some high scores out there so far?

24.4 is my highest in about 15 games. 2 Magneto Multiballs, 5 heroes (Xavier, Wolverine, Phoenix, Cyclops, Rogue) and 4 villains (Brotherhood, Juggernaut, Sentinels, Sabertooth). You can't score high because the game doesn't add your multiball and mode totals to your score, so everything you do that would normally give you big points, doesn't award what it should. 15 million is working your ass of in this game as it stands now. This is supposed to be fixed this week.

#4345 11 years ago
Quoted from copperpot:

lol, that's a pretty major issue for tourneys.

The way the game sits now, you wouldn't want to be using it in any tournament...

#4431 11 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I really dislike that, (I think) every time it comes around the left loop will just fall into the hole. I have never seen anything like this, like it's an accident, I can not understand why people like this.

IJ4 has the exact same thing...and that isn't a game anyone wants XM mentioned with.

#4652 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

DugFreez said:

I will sell the game before I switch to 5 ball

I would too. I refuse to dumb down a game because it is difficult. I like a challenge, especially in a home environment where you can play for free. I want to play it like it was designed for and I want to feel like I actually achieved something by working at it.

#4778 11 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I sincerely feel your pain.

Been there, felt that. "POW" - Anyone who has scored a Magento SJ will appreciate that...

#4919 11 years ago
Quoted from Cobray:

Hate to say it, but CC is totally a trophy game with no depth. And while you may not admit it, you know it. I played about 10 games on it at the pinball hall of fame and I had already completed the entire game several times over in that many games.
CC would have been such a kick ass game with completed code though!

CC certainly is not finished and lacks depth, but at the PHOF they set their games to easy and usually 5 balls, so finishing any game there is not that big of a deal.

#4920 11 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I don't think there is. You have to be fast on the manual plunge. Better to go too light than too hard because you can always time it and try again.
I have to say X-men has a much smaller sweet spot to get the ball to the upper flipper than Spider-Man does.

I nudge the ball up with the plunger, then when the auto plunger fires, the ball isn't their to plunge. That way I have more time to plunge how I want to. I lot like setting up your skill shot in LOTR by nudging with the plunger.

#4931 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

But when the ball comes back down and closes the switch in the shooter lane, surely it just fires at it again pretty rapidly... no...
Cut the wire!!

It will fire again, but not immediately. Gives you time to make the short plunge like you want to.

#4940 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Future magneto MB's seem to light jackpot / life taking shots based on the good guy modes you've started before entering the MB.

Yep, that is how it works. Pretty cool idea, unless you don't do any modes than the multiball is almost worthless as only Magneto is lit for jackpot.

3 weeks later
#6481 11 years ago

How do you beat Hellfire Club? Paul Madison and I were playing a Pro and I watched him drain the energy bar of the club, then the main dude stood up...ripped off shirt and he was now in a boxing match throwing punches at him...and he beat that guy, then two of the Hellfire Club members get shot and it still keeps going with yet another energy bar. By this point he had hit dozens of successful shots.

#6484 11 years ago
Quoted from c3trey:

You sure the insert was still flashing when it was done? I beat it once (...once) and had that same experience of thinking I hadn't finished, but it's like Wolvie multiball and resets to the beginning after you get a super jack. When I finally drained, I noticed the insert had gone solid.
Somebody had posted a rundown a while back that said hitting the wrong shots incurred a penalty in that mode, so maybe that's what you ran into. I haven't experienced it enough to notice that.

It might have been lit solid, I didn't look. I was too busy watching the DMD. It did seem like it hadn't finished, but now that I think about it...it did seem like it had started over.

#6486 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

That is a bit anticlimactic. I hope they address this in future code releases and create an ending to the completed mode that would at least let you know you have accomplished something.

I think the two other guys getting shot, after beating the guy who ripped off his shirt, was supposed to be the end. It wasn't clear though and I was watching the DMD the entire time and not playing.

#6488 11 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

Something needs to be added to the modes when they are completed. Some sort of callout or music. There are nice DMD animations, but there are a lot of modes that just seem to end (sentinals comes to mind).

Sentinels has the "Chink" DMD animation when you behead the final one, but it is quick and you can easily miss it.

#6493 11 years ago
Quoted from ThunderLips:

Sealclubber posted this in his 1.1 rules breakdown:"Hellfire Club: 3 ball Multi-ball. Hit left stand ups 10 times to qualify mode. Make lit shots 3 times to defeat minions and fight Shaw, then make lit shots 4 times to knock Shaw to 10%. Once Shaw is at 10%, drain down to 1 ball to complete. Hitting any unlit shot will reset the Minions and restore Shaw to 100%."
I don't know if anything changed from 1.1 to 1.2 and I've never made it this far into HC, but it sounds awesome.

Wow, interesting. It definitely took more than 4 shots to get Shaw to 10%. Each shot punches him in the face, think "Peeping Tom" mode in Creature, but with shots instead of using the flipper buttons. He didn't drain after getting him down and it did go back to the beginning, but I did see two of the other characters on the screen get shot, so I wasn't sure what was up with that. There wasn't any indication you should drain to one ball to complete the mode.

#6509 11 years ago

It's a sound effect animation when you cut off the last Sentinel's head, like "POW" when you beat Magneto...not a racial thing...

#6510 11 years ago
Quoted from muttonboy:

I don't agree that a lot of code needs work though. Yes iceman ramp is wrong/obnoxious/annoying and I want to rip it out and stomp on it, but it's easily fixed. Everything else can be addressed with lighting/flashing targets, no reason to ever look at the DMD for any modes currently imo.
Heroes all seem fine and complete to me. It's clear what to do, if a little quick/easy for some maybe. Villains need the same type of attention, like flashing/not flashing inserts to designate between shots.
A few callouts to let you know whats going on a bit better and some fanfare for the wizards and I'm happy.

Is Storm just 20,000 points per shot during her mode?

2 years later
#9661 8 years ago

Thought this might be a good place to post, I'm looking for an X-Men if anyone in MN, WI or the midwest is looking to sell or trade. I want to avoid shipping to keep costs down. I don't need a blinged and modded out museum piece, just a nice playing game. Let me know. Thanks!

9 months later
#10230 8 years ago

I finally got in. Happy to be part of the club. Lots of bang for the buck in this game. Looking forward to the challenge!

!x-men_(resized).jpg!x-men_(resized).jpg

#10231 8 years ago

Anyone in the X-Men club happen to have an extra one of this plastic or know where I could get one?

plastic_(resized).jpgplastic_(resized).jpg

2 months later
#10376 7 years ago

Anyone have a good Blackbird for over the scoop? Plastic is 2". All die casts seem to be 4-5" which would be way too big. A micro machine Blackbird would fit, maybe a little small? What do you think?

ebay.com link: 1987 Micro Machines Military Aircraft SR 71 Blackbird SUPERSONIC SPY PLANE NEW

#10379 7 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I put this one on my machine...somewhat similar to what you show.
Robert

Cool. Where did you get it?

#10390 7 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Not sure where I got it, perhaps eBay.
Robert

How long is it?

6 months later
#10730 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Is the game on "factory settings"?
If so, you get extra balls.
However if the "maximum extra balls" setting is adjusted to "0" then you get points instead of an extra ball. This is how competition games are usually set up.
If you go into the menu, click on "spi" and about the 5th item is "maximum extra balls". Factory default is usually 5 (?) See what yours is set to.
(All that is from memory, I am nowhere near my Xmen right now ...)
rd

Speaking of Extra Balls, what is the default setting for when you get them? I think mine awards at 4 heroes completed and 3 villains completed, but it seems like that isn't always the case.

2 weeks later
#10733 7 years ago

My Blackbird scoop switch is acting up. Not registering and kicking the ball out. Anyone have the manual handy and/or can tell me the part number for it? Appreciate the help. Thanks.

#10737 7 years ago

I'll double check those things. Thanks for the tips and the part numbers guys!

7 months later
#10926 6 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

Love the colors on the villain inserts. That must be how you got to DP.

I did the same thing, except I used yellow for Sabretooth and orange for Juggernaut. Looks really good, like it should have been that way from the factory.

3 weeks later
#10947 6 years ago

When should EB light in X-Men? Does completing any number of X-Men or Villians light it? I know 3 Nightcrawler shots does, but I wasn't sure about anything else.

2 months later
#11019 6 years ago
Quoted from vbittnv:

The wolverine is off the shelf ( bought on ebay for $10), but the magneto was too tall so I have to remove sections of his body and re-glue him so he would fit under the glass. Then I painted him. It was a huge pain and took a couple hours but I think its perfect.. I hated the huge magneto.. it looks so cheap.
Here is the link to the magneto. You need to strategically remove about 1 " of his height.
ebay.com link

Someone do this and sell me your old Magneto figure. Mine took a shot to the cape and has a nice hole busted in him now.

5 months later
#11202 5 years ago

It is with great sadness that I must report that today I left the X-Men Pro members only club. You will be missed. Vaya con Dios muchacho...

IMAG0490 (resized).jpgIMAG0490 (resized).jpg

#11203 5 years ago

It is with great exuberance that I can report that my absence from the X-Men Club lasted only 3 hours. I rejoined the X-Men Club tonight with a Magento LE #246. Only sold my Pro to pickup the LE. Pro is going back on route here locally (only one on route in the entire state) and I picked up the LE for a great price. Win/Win. Now I can move my Color DMD and other goodies over to it during this long holiday weekend. It's good to be back!

Capture2 (resized).jpgCapture2 (resized).jpg

#11209 5 years ago

If anyone is interested, since I sold my X-Men Pro for the LE, I don't need my Stern Blue Translucent Apron anymore. It looks like it was made for the X-Men Pro. Any questions, just ask.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/64737

x1 (resized).jpgx1 (resized).jpg

#11214 5 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

Hey, not 100% positive, but it looks like all your GI was replaced with white bulbs in your Magneto LE. The GI should be red, white, and blue, and they're all controlled to light the game with different colors depending on what mode / hero / villain you are in. Color locations are in the manual, and I believe the wiring is color coded as well to make it easy. If I were you, I'd take a look at that and go back to the original lighting - much better effect. I used 2-SMD frosted bulbs from Comet in all the GI, and it's lit perfectly.

Thanks for posting. I hadn't dug deep into it, but I was looking at that. There is one small spot on each side where there are red / blue LEDs. I will take a closer look.

#11215 5 years ago

Ok fellow X-Men members. I need your help. I'm looking for a few things to get Magneto back into tip top shape. First thing I need are both Blackbird scoop plastics. I know they are in the full plastic set, but does anyone have any they would sell as I would rather not buy the whole set? Second, the right ramp Nightcrawler plastic is all cracked up. It's the one that sits on top of the mech and is flush with the playfield when it is lowered. I didn't see that plastic in the plastic set, so I am not even sure where you can get that one. Finally, my Wolverine is really low on the playfield. Basically sitting right on it. He registers hits, but the ball will get stuck under his right arm. Is there a way to raise him up? He wasn't that low on my Pro and I never had a problem with him or shooting the Beast shot. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#11216 5 years ago

Anybody new a set of new slings or any other X-men plastic? I was thinking of buying a plastic set and I don't need either sets of sling plastics it comes with. Mainly buying it for the Blackbird plastics and a couple others. Let me know if there is a plastic you need.

2 weeks later
#11234 5 years ago
Quoted from C_S_S:

Anyone have an issue with or fix for LEDs popping out of the blackbird socket? I bought a new one from PBL and installed it but after playing only a few games the light would repeatably eject from the socket from the force of the ball leaving underneath. Otherwise, it worked fine....

Electrical tape wrapped around the LED to make the fit more snug or a dab of hot glue. Both will help hold it in.

3 weeks later
#11248 5 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

So Magneto just pulls off - no screws?

No. He is attached to the right side plastic when you are looking at the game. You have to take that off, then he is screwed to the plastic itself with 3 screws. It's a wonky setup, especially with the opto screw heads right underneath. I am in the process of shopping out my Magneto LE so i've been experiencing it first hand.

#11258 5 years ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

Isint the gi 3 different colors for the modes? Or is that just the le?

Just the LE. When I had my Pro, I went with frosted cool white and loved it. Looked really nice.

#11261 5 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

Thanks! So you went frosted cool white for GI and playfield inserts? And just to double check - if I take off Magneto there's a flasher socket/bulb under there?

I did for both yes. I don't think clear LEDs looks bad on the game though, so I don't think you can go wrong. Yes, there is a flasher socket under Magneto connected to the right hand side plastic. It's an LED flasher on my LE, I think it's a incandescent on the Pro. LED isn't too bright in this case, because it only shines through the holes in his armor.

4 weeks later
#11288 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

You don't want paperclips dangling in your machine? lol
I think they only stand 6 inches tall, at most. I would guess they should fit!
Thanks for the link to the Cliffy's. I've ordered plenty from him in the past. I wonder what his lead time is these days...
Did you put them on both Wolverine and the spinning disc?

I picked up a Magneto LE a couple of months ago. I bought a new plastic set and plastic protectors and a new cliffy for the scoop and magnet protector. I only got one for the Wolverine magnet, I don't think you would want one on the spinning disc. Cliffy was a couple months backed up when I bought mine 1.5 months ago now, I'm still waiting for mine to show up.

#11294 5 years ago

Does anyone know where to get the right side top Nightcrawler plastic? It didn't come in the full plastic set and I don't see a part number for it in the manual, although I am using the online manual so I could be missing that. I haven't seen if for sale anywhere. Someone tightened the screws down too tight and cracked it so I would like to replace it. I suppose I could make my own if I can't track one down. Any help is appreciated.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
4 weeks later
#11380 5 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

mannymasy Send Cliff a picture and request to make one a bit bigger to cover what you need. I know he has done this before it just takes a little longer. He can make the left side wider to cover the splintering you were talking about.

Just ask him for the larger X-Men cliffy. He has it already. I did and he sent me one that is wider on the right with the cutout on the left for the ball to fall into the scoop out of the pops.

#11384 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I wish I knew this before ordering!

Cliffy is really cool. He would probably let you exchange it. Way back when I had a ful set of WCS94 Cliffys I never used and I just sold them cheaper on Pinside, but he had commented that I should have contacted him and I could have returned them. I had asked him about a larger Cliffy when ordering because my scoop needed it and he offered it up as he had already done that for people before.

2 months later
#11453 5 years ago

Hey guys, check out this light mod similar to the mode light board he did for Iron Maiden. Really nice, especially for anyone with an LE that is stuck with all white villain lights...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-colored-lighting-brackets-mod

1 year later
#11810 3 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Post pass easy on mine. Cliffy over scoop is annoying. I may remove it.

My cliffy has a groove in it on the left hand side that allows the ball to access the scoop without having to travel over the cliffy. It's nice.

#11816 3 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Could you post a picture? I can’t visualize this.

Sure

IMG_20200523_192232 (resized).jpgIMG_20200523_192232 (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#11820 3 years ago
Quoted from J-Freeze:

I'm in the club!
Bought lesmanley old muchacho pro.
Rarely see this game come up for sale around here.
Fresh LEDs and and she staring to clean up nice!
Loving the game so far, there is certainly a lot of it.[quoted image]

Congrats! You picked my old one up from Ben? You definitely don't see them around often. I had to bug John Galvin for years to get him to sell me that game. I only sold it to pick up my Magneto LE. Such a good game, enjoy it!

1 month later
#11881 3 years ago
Quoted from Snappy:

Looking for a little commentary on the mantis protector.. I bought it because I had some chipping to the right of the black bird scoop (pictured) but after I put the mantis in place I realized that it's more to protect the wood inside the scoop since the mantis is not raised high enough to actually prevent the ball from smacking down where the PF art and scoop wood meet (i.e. where my chipping is occurring).
Am I missing something or do I really need a cliffy to protect against further chipping in the highlighted area in the pic??
side note: the mantis protector hasn't been screwed in yet, but it is loosely in place and pushed up about as high as it will go. I also plan to touch up the black paint where it's chipped and put some hard as nails over it (since that was recommended in this thread and seems to make sense).
fatpanda since we had been chatting a bit on this topic in PMs
[quoted image]

Use a Cliffy. He makes one with a slightly bigger edge that will cover that wear on the right hand side, plus he makes one with a groove cutout on the left so the ball will still roll into the Blackbird scoop.

3 weeks later
#11924 3 years ago

Hey fellow X-Men owners. Could someone please do me a quick favor and take a picture of how the lower part of the left ramp attaches to the metal post right above the top pop bumper? If you just lift the playfield, set it on the rails and take a picture that would be super helpful. I am putting my game back together from a shop job and everything for that ramp connects, but there is about a 1" space between the ramp and hex post in that spot so I am not sure how it goes back together. Everything else has fit snug, so I am not sure if there is something missing there. Appreciate the help. Thanks!

#11926 3 years ago
Quoted from Snappy:

Don’t know if you still need it but hopefully this helps. The tall metal support/spacer is what holds up the ramp and it goes all the way down to the playfield. [quoted image]

Okay that's how I thought it should look. If you loosen that screw does the ramp kind of pop up? You can see in the pictures of mine that I included that there's probably a 1/2-in gap between the top of the post in the ramp. I can push it down to secure it but I thought it would be more of a flush fit without having to do that. All of my other left ramp screws are connected and sitting flush.

IMG_20200825_123215 (resized).jpgIMG_20200825_123215 (resized).jpgIMG_20200825_123222 (resized).jpgIMG_20200825_123222 (resized).jpg

#11928 3 years ago
Quoted from J-Freeze:

Mine definitely has a little gangster lean towards that post. Not sure if its that much of a gap but it does have to be pushed down a little on my pro.

Would you try just removing that screw and see how far your ramp pops up? Mine plays fine with the gap and no screw at all, but I'm just kind of at a loss as to how it should be.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider LesManley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men?tu=LesManley and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.