(Topic ID: 16030)

X-Men - Official Club Thread All Welcome!

By pmWolf

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by KING-HENRY
  • Topic is favorited by 116 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2289 (resized).jpeg
20231210_114221 (resized).jpg
20231210_114216 (resized).jpg
20231210_114212 (resized).jpg
20231210_114207 (resized).jpg
20231210_114159 (resized).jpg
20231015_221002 (resized).jpg
20221212_175404 (resized).jpg
20231202_132135 (resized).jpg
IMG_9543 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9544 (resized).jpeg
gg (resized).JPG
xmen (resized).PNG
MB (resized).PNG
20230806_161030 (resized).jpg
IMG_2846 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9492 X-Men Ramp Post mod Posted by bballfan (9 years ago)

Post #9499 X-Men 1.51 Rulesheet Posted by frg (9 years ago)

Post #9522 Link to newton ball info Posted by pmWolf (9 years ago)

Post #9523 Newton Ball purchase link Posted by pmWolf (9 years ago)

Post #11002 New Magneto figure installed. Posted by vbittnv (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 85vett.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9833 8 years ago

So wish I could join this club. Working on my wife to let me trade my ST for one or sell it and buy an X-men. She's not going for it yet but I'm still working on her. Such a fun and underrated game. I'd probably bastardize my game though as I'd personally like to have an LE of which I would try to put a pro right ramp on it. Not a huge fan of the iceman ramp but I'm not sure I could live without the GI, knight-crawlers or the spinning disc.

#9836 8 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

You can disable the Iceman ramp in adjustments I believe.

Yeah, you can. I don't like the look of it as much as I dislike the function. I'd probably live with it anyway though. Just a thought I had that I wanted to try if I ever got one.

1 month later
#9979 8 years ago

I've gotta stop reading this thread. I want an x-men so bad but don't know what to give up as I enjoy all my games.

Someone local please buy one so we can trade at some point.

#9981 8 years ago

Already did that and took down the pool table. Got 9 games in the house (one is a vp cab I built and the other not showing in my current list is IM). My wife has only approved an addition if it is Tron or FH and I think I'll enjoy x-men longer than Tron.

2 years later
#10967 6 years ago

Finally after a couple years of waiting for the right game I'm going to be joining this club on Friday.

Here's a picture of the game. Super excited to finally be able to put some quality time in on this game and to learn the rules.

Trying to scan through this thread to see what mods are common on the game. I thought I recalled that most people changed the post in front of the ramps. Anyone have a link to that and is still the preferred method?

x-men (resized).jpgx-men (resized).jpg

#10970 6 years ago

Thanks! That's a good list of considerations. Does the game respond well to a shaker motor?

#10978 6 years ago

Grandparents and my youngest are loving their new game. Game looks almost new. Couldn't be happier and ready to start personalizing it.

20171104_160811 (resized).jpg20171104_160811 (resized).jpg

20171104_160540 (resized).jpg20171104_160540 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#10981 6 years ago

Just about done now with modding my new X-men pro. Just waiting on my newton ball mod and the Wolvie Bust to come in. So far I've:
- Complete tear down show job with titan rubbers installed and new coil sleeves in all the mechs.
- Playfield was cleaned and polished.
- Cliffy removed. Sorry Cliffy, I love you, but it on this game that cliffy makes the shot much harder to hit and it kept forcing the ball SDTM out of the pops. Replaced with a Mantis protector.
- New magnet cores installed and mylar placed around the magnets.
- Flipper Fiddeltiy speakers installed. So far, not sure if I like this mod. Speakers sound muted compared to the old ones even turned way up. Stock sounded better. Going to removed the "dial" that it came with to see if that helps.
- Mirror blades installed
- Custom apron made. Painted it blue (hard to tell in the pictures). Installed two flashers that go off with Magneto into the apron and under the apron (yellow boxed it in the pics) I installed a flasher that ties into the magneto flasher. Pretty cool effect with these added.
- Changed the lighting from red and blue to mainly sunlight LED's with a couple Ice blue's thrown in for effect in the storm area and the back box. Think I'm going to change the apron light out from blue to Sunlight as well.
- Pinbits plastic protectors. HIGHLY recommend this kit. Out of the 10 or so kits I've installed this was by far the most complete kit.
- Cleaned and flame polished all the ramps
- new G16 polished balls
- Painted the flipper bats. Blue at the bottom and red for the upper flipper

Game has been a blast to play and now that it's personalized more for my taste I'm loving it even more. Thanks everyone for the suggestions you provided earlier.

Couple of pics.

apron2 (resized).jpgapron2 (resized).jpg

x-men (resized).jpgx-men (resized).jpg

#10986 6 years ago

Think I figured out the problem. If I turn the volume up to 40+ then they sound much better. At lower power levels it sounds worse. Kind of a bummer though as I rarely get to play with the game at the higher volumes due to when I actually get time to play (nights) and the kids are trying to sleep.

On a separate note. I showed my wife the Wolverine figure that I'm putting on the captive ball mod and her response was, "Looks so much better, now what are you doing about that ugly thing in the back?". The "ugly thing" is the magneto figure. I kind of agree it's overpowering without the stock wolverine in the game. Anyone have any suggestions on replacement Magneto's that would look good in the game?

Here is the wolverine that I went with.

shopping (resized).jpgshopping (resized).jpg

#10988 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I have flipper fidelity speakers in my tron and xmen and they sound way better than the stock speakers.
I removed the "dial" that it comes with. Check your installation, there should be a noticeable improvement even at lower volumes.
I play mine at volume 35 or 36. Lower than that its too low IMHO.

I'll remove the dial to see what change it makes. I have it turned all the way up right now anyway.

Separate note - Anyone know if superglue will hold this back together? Just came in and it was broken. Already messaged Mezel and I'm sure they will make it right but if superglue will hold it I'd rather just fix it an move on.

thumbnail (resized).jpgthumbnail (resized).jpg

#10992 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I replaced magneto in my game with a better one. I just need to find a silver metal ball to put in his hand. The figure opens the playfield up a bit. The flasher that was inside magneto, now sits behind the figure and lights up much better in conjunction with the flasher spotlight.
Next up is the Newton ball mod and a better wolvie figure.

What figure is that?

For the ball look up ball bearings. All kinds of sizes. Maybe a pinball for the mini machine in Shrek/Family guy would work.

#10995 6 years ago

Thanks. That one looks good to. I just finished my newton mod. Made an airball like plastic and mounted this guy after Cutting him off his base.

Put some Velcro under him and drilled/tapped a hole in the porcelain to make sure he stays put.

20171118_212656 (resized).jpg20171118_212656 (resized).jpg

20171118_212703 (resized).jpg20171118_212703 (resized).jpg

#10997 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I like that wolvie, Is that the bank bust? Is that the mezel newton set up? I was hoping it came with a plastic top to mount a figure on top.

Yes, It's the BOWEN WOLVERINE 1st APPEARANCE MINI BUST. Don't know if I just got lucky but I picked it up off e-bay for $35 shipped. Searching now they seem to be more expensive than that.

The mezel kit does come with a top that you can mount something to. It's normally white but I painted it black (you can see it in the second picture). I made the plastic to give me more room to mount something as well to help protect the figure from air balls off the captive ball.

#11012 6 years ago

**Edit - sounds like it screws in from the bottom according to the post below. If you wind up needing a new one it's part number 511-6769-00

P.S. - Make sure you are sitting down before you check the price on that part though

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/511-6769-00

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG

#11014 6 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

The right locking pin? Mine used to shoot up and out all the time. It screwed back in...finally put loctite on it.
No threads? There's a little screw that you need to find that should go into the hollow section of that metal spear. Fastens from the underside.

Good to know. Thought it was a solid part from the pics and the user manual. I'll edit my post to limit confusion.

#11021 6 years ago

Back to looking for a magneto replacement figure. The one lermods used is to tall for a Pro. Guess their is some difference between the pro and LE as he stands about a full inch to tall (his whole head). Was thinking of trimming him down but not even sure where I could do that to make it look nice

#11025 6 years ago

Agreed. X-men (especially the pro) is a great bang for the buck game. The LE's a pretty good to. I understood the hate early on but I don't get it now. Game flows great and has some pretty cool items in the rules.

Looks like a fun line-up right there too.

1 month later
#11060 6 years ago
Quoted from TwilightZone:

Another quick question. Does the Cyclops spinner get stuck in the middle position for others? Seems to happen alot on mine. Ball will hit it, but doesn't register. Eventually the spinner falls. I took the right ramp off and looked at the switch. Nothing is binding. Any recommendations?

Also for the spinner, check to make sure it's not binding on the top of the mounting screw. On the right side it's a tight clearance. When I put mine back together after shopping it out it was binding there and was doing exactly what yours was doing.

1 month later
#11099 6 years ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

For the people who replaced Wolverine with the Newton mod and a mini bust, do you have any issues with the Quake putty and lifting the playfield? Or has everything stuck okay?

I used strong velcrow on the bottom and made a bracket for its back so no issues here.

#11108 6 years ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

Do you have a picture? I have him in my hands right now about to go on.

Going to assume it's about the same as mine.

The bust is porcelain so I just drilled a small hole in his back and put a small screw in it. Solid as a rock with the Velcro on the bottom as well.

615cc8a42be3f20b99ff812a6c793f18016f99c4 (resized).jpg615cc8a42be3f20b99ff812a6c793f18016f99c4 (resized).jpg

#11124 6 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

What would cause the lower right flipper to stay up until something else fires and the flipper will drop. I've replaced the bushings, coil sleeves and plungers. Flippers have enough play not to bind. The switches look good. Any ideas?

That coil stop is mushroomed and should be replaced. Probably not the cause though but it can happen.

When you say bushing. Did you replace both the white one that goes through the pf and the metal one in the linkage (in the white part of the plunger). Most miss the second one which can cause stack and binding.

#11127 6 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I like the idea of cutting the spring down.
The plungers, elbows, sleeves, buttons and bushing were replaced.

Increasing spring pressure feels like a bandaid for the issue unless that spring is bad.

Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I wasn't sure how good that coil stop was either, that's why I took a pic. I'm not sure which bushing your referring to. I replaced the plastic going through the playfield.

The metal bushing that goes in the white hinge on the plunger.

www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=277

If this bushing is bad it will create play in the linkage. Double check that there is about a credit card thickness between the flipper bat and the white bushing going through the PF.

#11134 6 years ago

OK, I've gotta ask this and potentially take the punishment.

I've had my X-men for a couple months now and I'm a bit confused about some feedback I keep seeing about this game. I keep seeing people post about the depth of the rules and that is why they enjoy the game. I haven't seen this depth so I'm starting to wonder if I'm missing something major. Here is what I know:
- Each hero is started by hitting their shot 2-3 times (except Wolverine which I think is 5). When in their mode you are basically shooting their shot again a couple times to complete them.
- Starting a hero advances your magneto JP value and the amount of damage you do to him per shot so it's ideal to start as many as possible before going into magneto.
- 10 combos starts deadpool whom will help complete modes
- you can stack a hero in with a villain but not the other way around
- Wolverine MB has two options for each shot. The correct path advances you faster.
- Villain modes require _ number of shots to complete. They are throughout the PF
- Some how you light a gambit hurry-up shot worth a crap ton of points by shooting the left orbit and the top right pop bumper in sequence.
- Completing 4 modes (I believe) starts nightcrawlers
- Their are 2 wizard modes. One for completing villans and another for completing heros
- You have 4 MB's (not including wizard modes) with Wolverine, Magneto, Hellfire and Brotherhood

The game is still fun as I like the shots but the rules so far feel pretty shallow to me (nothings wrong with that) but since I keep seeing these comments about how deep the code is I figured I'd ask. After watching Bowen's tutorial it didn't help me understand anything I was missing.

#11139 6 years ago

Those are a must. I also consider target splints for the two lock targets. Those shots are already tight enough without having those dang targets leaning out into the lanes.

A lot do the wolvie bracket mod. I like it as it I actually have to try to hit wolverine now.

1 week later
#11148 6 years ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

hello guys I was thinking about selling my game of thrones limited edition and buy a pro xmen, what do you think? regards

Going to be a personal preference and especially lopsided in an X-men thread. I will be the voice of what I feel will be the minority here. I own both and if one had to go it would be my X-men. I love the shots of X-men but the strategy and rules in GOT (IMHO) are much better. The rules of X-men are good, it's just going to be what type of rules you prefer.

2 months later
#11181 5 years ago

Looks like I'm out of the club. Really thought this was going to be a keeper pin for me but I could never fall in love with the rule integration of the pin based off my personal playing style. Still a great game but just not my cup of tea.

The new owner didn't want the factory Wolverine or Magneto figures so I've posted them for sale here - https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/63966

#11193 5 years ago

The only two problems I ever had with the right LE ramp was 9friend owned one):
- It doesn't feed the ball to the inlane like the pro does, thus making starting blackbird and villan modes much more difficult as now only the left ramp/Xavier shots feed an inlane switch.
- The feed from the ramp to the right flipper. Never felt smooth.

The movement of the ramp added to the strategy of when to shoot it so I din't mind it that much. It was because of the two items above though that I eventually bought the pro.

#11197 5 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

Simple solution hit the Hellfire or brotherhood targets to get them ready and start other villains before you start those multiballs. Then once you finish that villain hit the brotherhood or Hellfire targets once and hey presto you’re ready to start another villain

Works for Villain but not for blackbird. Makes skillfull play during MB to get an add a ball much harder.

I always felt the ultimate Players X-men would be the LE with a Pro Right ramp. I wont ever argue against the coolness or theme integration of the right ramp on the LE but from an overall game play feeling I just never preferred it.

1 month later
#11232 5 years ago
Quoted from Litedpinballmods:

X-men Lighted Magnetic Hinge Covers in red. The picture looks a little orange, but they are blood red.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1032-lighted-pinball-mods/01710-x-men-lighted-magnetic-hinge-covers-red

Odd looking X-men you have their. Almost looks like an Aerosmith

Quoted from hocuslocus:

Pretty sure they both go under the blackbird sign btwn the plastics.... I think.
I had memories of only using one a long time ago, so I was really confused.
If I'm wrong, let me know.

Yes, one goes with each post to raise the top plastic up a bit (to allow room for the light).

3 weeks later
#11241 5 years ago
Quoted from C_S_S:

Another magnet question. Just replaced the magnet in front of Wolvie, no problem getting it out but in putting a new one back noticed it wasn't exactly flush with the surface. I decided to make the down hill portion flush with the back closer to woverine raised slightly higher than the table. I thought this was better than having a lip at the bottom of the magnet, although the upper portion of the magnet seems to have less open space around it than the top. Right choice or should I take it out and try to file the top a bit?

That way is safer but can lead to more issues with mushrooming of the magnet core. If it's not flush then something is off.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 85vett.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men?tu=85vett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.