(Topic ID: 16030)

X-Men - Official Club Thread All Welcome!

By pmWolf

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by KING-HENRY
  • Topic is favorited by 116 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2289 (resized).jpeg
20231210_114221 (resized).jpg
20231210_114216 (resized).jpg
20231210_114212 (resized).jpg
20231210_114207 (resized).jpg
20231210_114159 (resized).jpg
20231015_221002 (resized).jpg
20221212_175404 (resized).jpg
20231202_132135 (resized).jpg
IMG_9543 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9544 (resized).jpeg
gg (resized).JPG
xmen (resized).PNG
MB (resized).PNG
20230806_161030 (resized).jpg
IMG_2846 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 12,543 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 251.
#2501 11 years ago
Quoted from Snowdale:

Im sorry but if TFs modes had the flow of Tron,TF would be a top three Stern.

Personally I think TF has excellent flow... OK, the ramp returns on the LE are a bit slow, but in MBs you need a breather to compose yourself and wipe the sweat from your brow! I'd prefer to say that if TRON modes were as wide ranging and as challenging as TF then TRON could be a top 3 Stern... All I have to say is 'recogniser mode'... wtf!!

Sorry for OT diversion... back to TF... err... I mean X-Men

#2502 11 years ago

TF LE is awesome!

#2503 11 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I don't think I buy that "With all the lanes this game has, there will be no problem lightning the blackbird inserts." line. With the pro you have a sure chance at lighting a lane with a right ramp shot....with the LE you only get to light a lane when it is dumping into the left lane (which I doubt is often...unless they want the ramp blacking the playfield view a large portion of the time).

You have a good point but Stern still believes people are generally ok with play change between Pro/LE.

Frankly this particular issue can be solved via software if they choose: If the ball comes down the ice ramp while it is positioned over the right outlane, the outlane switch can be soft-activated. I somehow doubt they will do this but they have that option.

#2504 11 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

You have a good point but Stern still believes people are generally ok with play change between Pro/LE.
Frankly this particular issue can be solved via software if they choose: If the ball comes down the ice ramp while it is positioned over the right outlane, the outlane switch can be soft-activated. I somehow doubt they will do this but they have that option.

couldn't they also make a flipper press rotate the lit/unlit blackbird inserts like a lot of rollover lanes?.. in which case, seems pretty easy to get an unlit one underneath the left rollover while it's rolling down the ramp

#2505 11 years ago

I don't see roll over switches in the lower lanes of any game being a concern, ever. This seems trivial IMO.

#2506 11 years ago

Thinking of bailing on this on after all, the rules are one of the biggest problems with TF and this appears to be TF 2.0. Dang it, really had high hopes,but should have known when Xerox was coding this is what would happen. Dang it dang it dang it. Freaking Stern.

Not sure what to do, I'm not looking to speculate on the value, but if this goes the way of TF and the $4500 LE, I will be kicking myself hard.

#2507 11 years ago

Maybe instead of x men this should be called TRONSFORMERS.

#2508 11 years ago

This is very disappointing. I have Transformers and Tron. I really want something new and not a mix-up of these 2 games. This really has me doubting Stern as I assume Avengers will be more of the same, but really all Gomez games have a very similar feel sans Johnny M.

#2509 11 years ago

Really guys, play the game before making rash determinations. The elements, playfield layout, designer, dots and sounds are all there for an incredible game. Perhaps fridays video will give us a glimpse of the XMEN experience.

#2510 11 years ago

I'm still in. This game won't play anything like them. Some folks want out, makes sense, because...

It's a reversed Tron Layout (Or Stargate Layout, or reversed Funhouse Layout, or TSPP Layout), except with magnets and popups and captive balls and a moving ramp with rules that *might possibly* be somewhat similar to Transformers based on a picture of a couple of developers standing in front of a whiteboard taken before the playfield art was even defined. Also a competing companies software dev chimed in his two cents and tells everyone that 'If you don't want it to be like TF, I guess I'd be pretty worried but not surprised', which pretty much seals the deal that this game is going to suck.

I guess hype goes both ways.

No offense Keef, you rock.

-Wes

#2511 11 years ago

My own personal opinion is that all the speculation on how a game will end up after one semi-blurry shot of a whiteboard is a bit premature. If the code chunks on the whiteboard were named after Tron or TZ then the game would automatically be awesome? How many unique "hit x light y activate z" do you think there are across all SS pinball machines ever made? What is going to make a game unique is how it all ties together with the playfield, the sound, etc.

I find it a bit funny how positive pumped up remarks are met with "you can't say X-men will be awesome based off of a few pictures, wait for actual gameplay", but the doomcriers throw out judgements based off of even less...

Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Of course each game has startup, attract mode, diagnostics, x balls per game, replays, extra balls, end-of-ball bonus, high scores, sounds, animations... However, I strive, and pride myself on my ability, to create different playing experiences for each game I work on.

rotordave said:

To start with a blank page every game would be time consuming/very costly/pretty dumb

It might be a better game, too.

Yes, which is why gaming systems like Unreal, Speedtree, etc are not in-use in almost every single 3D game of the last several years. You don't re-invent the wheel in software, if you do you are wasting money. You can use common building blocks to build unique experiences without creating new blocks.

#2512 11 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Maybe instead of x men this should be called TRONSFORMERS.

Quoted from hank527:

This is very disappointing. I have Transformers and Tron. I really want something new and not a mix-up of these 2 games. This really has me doubting Stern as I assume Avengers will be more of the same, but really all Gomez games have a very similar feel sans Johnny M.

Sounds like you guys are looking for something more like WOZ whose purpose in being is to introduce something fresh.

X-Men has never been positioned as anything but a game based upon proven past designs, as evidenced by a layout which is 85% similar to 8 other games over the past 20+ years, and many shared software modes isn't surprising in any game... they all have the "hit this ramp x times" and "hit this target y times" and "hit this z shot combo".

I do hope that this software team will in the end pull off something unique, as has been advertised. X-Men has enough going on that I can't believe it'll remind anyone of TF, and we have yet to hear the custom sound and dots which should be a big improvement over the sound and crappy video clips pulled from movies as in TF/SM/IM/etc.

#2513 11 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

You can use common building blocks to build unique experiences without creating new blocks.

Certainly, but Unreal Engine is a set of brushes and a canvas on which to paint. What that whiteboard picture illustrates is that the artist is cutting a pasting wholesale elements from one painting to the next. I think we all knew (didn't we all?) they we're cutting and pasting some code, of course they were. When I go to write a new program, I certainly don't start by coding an operating system kernel. And if it stopped at the framework fine. But what I'm worried about isn't the framework. It's the complete cribbing of a rule set that was generally judged to be poor.

I get that more goes into the game than rules. But how often do you hear, 'that game could have been so much if not for the crap rules'. All things being equal, it's the number one most important thing on a game.

Having thought about it a bit more, I find myself backing off the ledge. My hope is that they listened to the TF feedback and won't commit the same crimes again. There were some really fun rules in TF that got lost in the rest of the issues with that game. I'm hoping there's more of that and less of the other thing.

#2514 11 years ago
Quoted from copperpot:

Also a competing companies software dev chimed in his two cents and tells everyone that 'If you don't want it to be like TF, I guess I'd be pretty worried but not surprised', which pretty much seals the deal that this game is going to suck.

Yup. I make my living in advertising and marketing and this is a great example of how effective it can be. After all the excitement, two posts from Keith and people are jumping ship.

#2515 11 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

There were some really fun rules in TF that got lost in the rest of the issues with that game. I'm hoping there's more of that and less of the other thing.

I actually like a lot of the TF rule set. I'm not wild about the realization that I'll never, ever see Sentinel Prime, let alone Battle for Cybertron (look, STARTING all modes is hard enough for me, let alone COMPLETING each one. Insanity for us normal human pinball players).

So, I'd be okay if the modes had similar shot ideas...I just don't want to have to finish each one in order to see all the wizard stuff. (Or, do it all in one ball, like Iron Man and Avatar).

THOSE things worry me a lot more that just seeing some modes that have similar shot ideas to a previous game.

Heck, AFM and MM have some similar rule ideas, but most people tend to like those games...

#2516 11 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

Thinking of bailing on this on after all, the rules are one of the biggest problems with TF and this appears to be TF 2.0. Dang it, really had high hopes,but should have known when Xerox was coding this is what would happen. Dang it dang it dang it. Freaking Stern.
Not sure what to do, I'm not looking to speculate on the value, but if this goes the way of TF and the $4500 LE, I will be kicking myself hard.

If you're serious, send me a PM, I know of someone looking to get one at the early price pretty bad.

No way in hell I'm backing out on this one from this crazy speculation.

#2517 11 years ago

Here's the dealio; TFs modes are great and fun - especially SS and devestator. The problem with TFs code is that these modes are not stackable. You cannot play IH pf or SS during a mode (unless you start them before the mode).

Great games thrive on multitasking; having multiple goals and targets to hit and not focused on doing one mode or one shot at a time. So there's no problem reusing TF mode software in xmen, it's the delivery that counts. Will I be able to do gambit hurry up while having a devestator (pops-like) mode? Will I be able to start iceman ramp but still be able to achieve blackbird awards? Will I be able to play A mode yet still progress my way through powering up xmen? Etc...

#2518 11 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

If the code chunks on the whiteboard were named after Tron or TZ then the game would automatically be awesome?

Best comment in this thread

#2519 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Here's the dealio; TFs modes are great and fun - especially SS and devestator. The problem with TFs code is that these modes are not stackable. You cannot play IH pf or SS during a mode (unless you start them before the mode).
Great games thrive on multitasking; having multiple goals and targets to hit and not focused on doing one mode or one shot at a time. So there's no problem reusing TF mode software in xmen, it's the delivery that counts. Will I be able to do gambit hurry up while having a devestator (pops-like) mode? Will I be able to start iceman ramp but still be able to achieve blackbird awards? Will I be able to play A mode yet still progress my way through powering up xmen? Etc...

+1

#2520 11 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

Certainly, but Unreal Engine is a set of brushes and a canvas on which to paint. What that whiteboard picture illustrates is that the artist is cutting a pasting wholesale elements from one painting to the next.

Quoted from jarozi:

But what I'm worried about isn't the framework. It's the complete cribbing of a rule set that was generally judged to be poor.

That's what has been inferred from a blurry whiteboard pic, all I am saying is that might be jumping the gun as we have no idea as to exactly what that whiteboard means.

Quoted from jarozi:

I get that more goes into the game than rules. But how often do you hear, 'that game could have been so much if not for the crap rules'. All things being equal, it's the number one most important thing on a game.

Agreed 100%. However I don't agree that the whiteboard means that X-men will have the exact same rules as Transformers. That is where I think people are getting a bit ahead of reality. I guess we will all see once the game comes out and people actually get to play it.

#2521 11 years ago

They yanked that picture faster than shit. Guessing they dont want Xmen to be associated with TF at all, seeing as how it was a huge PR nightmare for them.

While i personally don't like TF i think its kinda scary to think of who is doing this game in the software department. If the new guys where truly stretching there wings surely they would not need to piggy back onto this. I hope Lonnie is not taking this chance to indeed flesh out TF 2.0.

Lot of it depends on how the dots correspond with the rules. The Dots on TF where SHIT ass bayformers movie clips which made the game feel very.... well mediocre.

#2522 11 years ago

Either way, Stern needs to do some damage control quickly. Gameplay Video!!!!!

#2523 11 years ago

I have not played tron or TF so it's all good to me.

#2524 11 years ago
Quoted from Snowdale:

was thinking the same thing.. one plus is hopefully they are seeing that people did see that whiteboard, that there's general disappointment of what's seen, and will feel the need to placate..

placate away I say!

#2525 11 years ago
Quoted from Snowdale:

Huh? What did you say? Sorry, I was too busy looking at your new avatar.

#2526 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Huh? What did you say? Sorry, I was too busy looking at your new Avatar.

I know, right. Dude has cute booty's distracting us from reading all this geeky pin info.

#2527 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Huh? What did you say? Sorry, I was too busy looking at your new Avatar.

My ass is going up next.

#2528 11 years ago
Quoted from Snowdale:

My ass is going up next.

Please shave first. lol

#2529 11 years ago

The problem is I like Transformers LE because of the shot call outs and modes. The game is unique in this aspect. If X-men is remotely similar in rules then I'd have no reason to own both games.

X-men will and basically make Transformers a crap game if this holds true. I am really just not thrilled about owning another marathon to the end rule set game. It just plain devalues both machines if they copy code.

This is like Pac-Man to Mrs. Pac Man for the video game people. Not many people want to own both machines.

I'm really PO'd early on this as I thought X-men would be a Tron - Iron Man hybrid with a new rule set. I'm just not digging the linear modes at all.

Now if the modes are not linear like in Transformers I will change my stance. If I can simply complete any mode at any time in the game similar to Tron then I'm happy. If I have to go through in order one by one then this game will suck!! I quite prefer the ability to hit a certain shot x amount of times to complete or start a mode.

#2530 11 years ago

RE: THE WHITEBOARD!!!!

It has NOTHING to do with the rules.

It was a chart concerning the electrical harness....it was using TF names as placeholders until they locked down all the X-Men characters that the wiring would relate to.

Thus concludes speculation of this being a Transformers re-do...which would make no sense anyway due to the layout and features being so different.

#2531 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Well crap... What can we blindly speculate about now?

#2532 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That would make me happy, what's your source? An ex-Stern employee seems to think it has something to do with the rules.

#2533 11 years ago

Gambit Blocks Pinballs

468917_10150987611024244_301657225_o.jpg468917_10150987611024244_301657225_o.jpg

#2534 11 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Gambit Blocks Pinballs

Yayer. Custom dots to break the tension.

#2535 11 years ago
Quoted from copperpot:

Well, the guys in the picture aren't smiling, and therefore aren't happy.

So, that means they at disappointed in the ruleset.

THAT'S IT!!! I'm bailing now.

=)

#2537 11 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Well, the guys in the picture aren't smiling, and therefore aren't happy.

So, that means they at disappointed in the ruleset.

#2538 11 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Will DMD be Red or Orange?

I believe Stern only uses the red LED DMD these days starting with AC/DC.

(Although not for long because LCD's are around the corner)

Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Yayer. Custom dots to break the tension.

LOL!

Quoted from copperpot:

ROFL

#2539 11 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Gambit Blocks Pinballs

You hitting F5 on your Facebook page all day? If so, thanks for saving me from having to do it.

#2540 11 years ago

Is it just me, or does that look like a two-color DMD?

(I guess it's just red?)

#2541 11 years ago

Lots more dots on facebook

#2542 11 years ago

Omega red is tougher

554105_10150987616294244_1426203367_n..jpg554105_10150987616294244_1426203367_n..jpg

#2543 11 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

An ex-Stern employee seems to think it has something to do with the rules.

Keep in mind that ex-employee is now working for the competition. I take comments made by competitors regarding each other with a grain of salt. That said, it would be nice if someone from Stern provided an explanation rather than just yank the picture and pretend it never happened.

Quoted from BackFlipper:

Is it just me, or does that look like a two-color DMD?

Yea it kind of does to me as well. Could be just the shading but either way I like the effect.

#2544 11 years ago

DMD

xbrotherhood.jpgxbrotherhood.jpg xiceman.jpgxiceman.jpg xlogan.jpgxlogan.jpg

#2545 11 years ago

Fantastic DMD artwork. I hope it's animated well to boot.

#2546 11 years ago

looks to me that storm cutout has a shadow behind her? hop there's some cool white LED flashers or something behind her for lightning

#2547 11 years ago

I love it. So glad they are getting away from split dmd.

#2548 11 years ago

Dots looking good!

#2549 11 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

looks to me that storm cutout has a Shadow behind her? hop there's some cool white LED flashers or something behind her for lightning

Looks like she is a plastic. Cool indeed.

#2550 11 years ago

4 GI colors will make for some great added eye candy like AC/DC.

Examples:
White-Ice Man mode
Red- Magneto-Brotherhood
Blue- Nightcrawler
Would be cool with Yellow ? X-Men

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

There are 12,543 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 251.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men/page/51 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.