(Topic ID: 16030)

X-Men - Official Club Thread All Welcome!

By pmWolf

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by KING-HENRY
  • Topic is favorited by 116 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2289 (resized).jpeg
20231210_114221 (resized).jpg
20231210_114216 (resized).jpg
20231210_114212 (resized).jpg
20231210_114207 (resized).jpg
20231210_114159 (resized).jpg
20231015_221002 (resized).jpg
20221212_175404 (resized).jpg
20231202_132135 (resized).jpg
IMG_9543 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9544 (resized).jpeg
gg (resized).JPG
xmen (resized).PNG
MB (resized).PNG
20230806_161030 (resized).jpg
IMG_2846 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 12,543 posts in this topic. You are on page 247 of 251.
#12301 2 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Anyone else notice all this excitement about Rush, and it’s basically XMEN with arguably less on the playfield?

It’s XMen with Austin Powers up the middle.

rd

#12302 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

It’s XMen with Austin Powers up the middle.
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"17bc1e0a110858d668a67251d111e9a5d67861fb-1641579803-1800"};
//]]>

At least it will flow well, or at least should. Without the iceman ramp it’s hard to say.

rd

#12303 2 years ago

XMen. So good they made it twice.

rd

#12304 2 years ago

All of Borg's layouts are variations of Funhouse.
His Jurassic park is a variation of whirlwind. Borg just ripped off Lawler

#12305 2 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

I haven't used it but it looks horrible in the videos and pics COMPARED to the wolverine figure. Instead of cheap-ing out, I would just buy a new wolverine if mine broke.

You can easily cut the lower part of the broken wolverine off and install it on top. That is what I did with mine and it was perfect. Quite a few people have done this with various inconspicuous ways to mount it. I have since sold mine.

#12306 2 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

You can easily cut the lower part of the broken wolverine off and install it on top.

Yep, that’s what I did.

Just made up a little angle bracket and screwed it to the back of the pop bumper cap. (There’s already a screw/post there)

99% of people would think it’s a stock machine.

rd

#12307 2 years ago

The main reason I dislike this game is because all the modes (heros and villians) are timed. I always hate hurry ups in pinball. I don't want a game that is entirely based on hurry ups & timers. Very annoying.
Stop trying to rush me and let me play pinball.

#12308 2 years ago

double post

#12309 2 years ago

You can increase the timers on all villains and Hero’s. Maybe that will help

Quoted from d0n:

The main reason I dislike this game is because all the modes (heros and villians) are timed. I always hate hurry ups in pinball. I don't want a game that is entirely based on hurry ups & timers. Very annoying.
Stop trying to rush me and let me play pinball.

#12310 2 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

The main reason I dislike this game is because all the modes (heros and villians) are timed

Most modes in modern pinballs are timed.

Most of the modern (1990 onward) pins in your collection are too.

Twilight zone
Game of thrones
NBA fastbreak
T3
Spider-Man
Etc
Etc

They’re all the same.

The only modern game that I can think of offhand that doesn’t have timed modes (ie you gotta keep playing until you finish them completely) is Alice Cooper.

Can we think of any others?

XMen is a hard game - as the last poster said, if the modes are too quick, max out the timers. I think everything is adjustable in that game.

Maybe do a factory reset first, then go from there.

rd

#12311 2 years ago

Agreed that most pins have a timed mode or 2 but not ALL OF THEM like Xmen!
Increasing the amount of time on the timers won't help make the game any less reliant on timed modes. Every single thing is still on a timer.
I can't think of another game that is like this with all modes timed.

#12312 2 years ago

I did a factory reset -- I think everything was factory, but at least I temporarily wiped my son off the leaderboard! Temporary victory. Guess I'll open up the outlanes.

#12313 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Most modes in modern pinballs are timed.
Most of the modern (1990 onward) pins in your collection are too.
Twilight zone
Game of thrones
NBA fastbreak
T3
Spider-Man

I actually have every one of the games you listed and NONE of them have all their modes timed. Sure one or 2 modes are timed but not ALL. I've never owned a game like xmen.

#12314 2 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

I actually have every one of the games you listed and NONE of them have all their modes timed. Sure one or 2 modes are timed but not ALL. I've never owned a game like xmen.

Every single game he listed the modes have a clock and count down. The mode expires after a certain amount of time or if the mode becomes completed.

#12315 2 years ago

Most modes are timed though that's just how it is. In all of my (5) Stern machines I can't think of any modes outside of MBs that don't time out.

I just bought an ACNC where NONE of the modes are timed and it feels a bit strange to be able to stop/pause without consequence.

Plus, when modes don't time out they can have a tendency to drag on. In ACNC it's not too much of a problem they seem to have struck a good balance of having the modes finish with only a few shots, but those shots are hard to make.

#12316 2 years ago

Was I just late to the party? Pinnovators headphone kit is awesome. I just installed it and with FatPanda's X-men sound mod, it makes X-men even greater. Using the headphones, I had no idea how much I was missing from the dialogue and sound effects. I have hearing aids, so I don't know if everyone experiences the huge difference in the clarity of the speech / sounds effects. For me, this is now a must have for all of my pins.

#12317 2 years ago

How does someone add the FatPanda sound mix? I do hate lots of the callouts in this game. Beasts especially!

#12319 2 years ago

Even though i don’t have room in my inventory I still feel like an idiot for not owning this game.

So damn cool especially the dual LE treatment. Ice ramp abs needs to be repeated in a modern pin.

#12320 2 years ago

The game is a bitch man. Maybe the hardest game I’ve owned to make Wizard modes.

But the challenge is rich and the game is exhilarating and fun.

It’s also not a hot mess of scoring and random elements like so many recent Sterns. It’s heroes and villains and that’s that. Simple, but oh so difficult.

#12321 2 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

The game is a bitch man. Maybe the hardest game I’ve owned to make Wizard modes.
But the challenge is rich and the game is exhilarating and fun.
It’s also not a hot mess of scoring and random elements like so many recent Sterns. It’s heroes and villains and that’s that. Simple, but oh so difficult.

Yep that's what I've always loved about this game. The rules are so simple but its so damn hard to get to either wizard mode!

See also ACNC which i've also just got recently. Defeat the monsters, and that's about it for the rules. Another awesome game.

#12322 2 years ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

Yep that's what I've always loved about this game. The rules are so simple but its so damn hard to get to either wizard mode!
See also ACNC which i've also just got recently. Defeat the monsters, and that's about it for the rules. Another awesome game.

Yeah, I’m up for ACNC. I’ve always enjoyed it on route. Great mood game. Great ambiance.

And I’m officially scoffing at anyone who would pay $9k for a DP or GB pro and not even look at XMEN. So many dilettantes in this hobby.

#12323 2 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Where can I locate the movie code for the pro at?

I'd like to know too. And does it over-ride the awesome panda sound upgrades?

#12324 2 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:And I’m officially scoffing at anyone who would pay $9k for a DP or GB pro and not even look at XMEN. So many dilettantes in this hobby.

Don’t you mean “idiots?”

rd

#12325 2 years ago

Has anyone ever built custom wire forms for x-men like they have done for GOTG and Mando to replace the plastic ones? X-men plastic ones are not as bad since they are mainly on sides but it would still increase visibility (I just thought that maybe I should try to clean mine ).

1 week later
#12326 2 years ago

I got ahold of an LE Magneto. Nightcrawlers didn't work, so I installed a new aux driver rev b board (it had one already, guessing it was bad) and new fuses and everything worked for about two months. Then NCs started acting funny, then stuck in the up position. 3A fuses blown under playfield. Replaced them and they immediately shot up and blew the fuses again. I have read about this issue in this forum. I am curious to know if anyone that has had this issue, where the Rev B Aux Driver boards fails more than once, has been able to solve it? Thanks.

#12327 2 years ago
Quoted from TomSS20:

I got ahold of an LE Magneto. Nightcrawlers didn't work, so I installed a new aux driver rev b board (it had one already, guessing it was bad) and new fuses and everything worked for about two months. Then NCs started acting funny, then stuck in the up position. 3A fuses blown under playfield. Replaced them and they immediately shot up and blew the fuses again. I have read about this issue in this forum. I am curious to know if anyone that has had this issue, where the Rev B Aux Driver boards fails more than once, has been able to solve it? Thanks.

Mine blew 3x sent the game back to the distro to fix and they haven’t missed a beat in 8 years. Not sure what they did so sorry I can’t really help in that department.

#12328 2 years ago

Where are you guys finding the fuses to check Night Crawler? My right one hasn't popped up and years and had all my my Aux boards and harnesses swapped as well. Any help is appreciated.

#12329 2 years ago

If the playfield is all the way up, the two 3A fuses holders are almost in the lower right as you are looking at the underside of the playfield.

#12330 2 years ago

The fuses were fine, and I didnt see any loose wires. I wonder what it is?

#12331 2 years ago

Looking to join the club if anyone has a magneto within 5 hours or so of Pittsburgh

#12332 2 years ago

Joined the club! Got myself and HUO Pro. Such a hard game but really fun.

I have a question. This has happened a few times now. If the ball goes back and forth between the left and right slings, sometimes it will rocket over and back into the shooter lane or outlane. I've turned to coil pulse to soft in the settings but it still happens. Is there any way to turn down the power on the slings a bit?

#12333 2 years ago

Anyone have a parts list of rubbers for an Le, manual on sterns website is unreadable on this page.

#12334 2 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

Am I the only one that doesn't like the Newton ball?

I never liked it either. Prefer original.

#12335 2 years ago

Not sure what their isn’t to like about the newton ball if you can install the original wolverine figure (yes you have to cut it to mount it). But then it looks pretty much the same (yes, you can see a small portion of wood without art.

Anyway, to each their own but it greatly improves the gameplay. It is a very tough game even with the shots opened up a little by the newton ball mod.

#12336 2 years ago

Joined the club this week with a Wolverine LE — it’s also my first time owning a pin! Got a big project ahead of me with replacing this awfully mushroomed magnet core. It’s to the point where the playfield near the magnet is caving in a bit around it. I’m definitely going to have to bring it out through the playfield. I just hope I don’t badly damage it any more. (Also, yes I know the Wolvie needs some love too. I’ll get to him later.)

243BCCB2-4C24-4C15-9502-5A8AE9570C06 (resized).jpeg243BCCB2-4C24-4C15-9502-5A8AE9570C06 (resized).jpeg
#12337 2 years ago

Welcome to the club!

#12338 2 years ago
Quoted from kreidayy:

Joined the club this week with a Wolverine LE — it’s also my first time owning a pin! Got a big project ahead of me with replacing this awfully mushroomed magnet core. It’s to the point where the playfield near the magnet is caving in a bit around it. I’m definitely going to have to bring it out through the playfield. I just hope I don’t badly damage it any more. (Also, yes I know the Wolvie needs some love too. I’ll get to him later.)
[quoted image]

I am fairly new to pinball repair/maintenance and I replaced my magnet cores on my X-men a bit ago and it really was not as intimidating as I thought! Definitely took care of lots of air balls and improved gameplay. Good luck!

#12339 2 years ago

I got an LE a month ago; today the right nightcrawler fuse blew, and Q48 failed. I replaced it with a TIP102, but the fuse blew and it failed again. I have a rev A aux board. Suggestions?

Q43 looks bad — which makes sense — I’ll try to replace it too.

Ha, no way I’m getting that heat sink off…. Rev B board from pinballlife ordered

#12340 2 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

I replaced it with a TIP102

Is it a Tip102? I thought they had Mosfets on those Stern SAM boards?

I haven’t looked it up - but might pay to double check the schematics.

rd

#12341 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Is it a Tip102? I thought they had Mosfets on those Stern SAM boards?
I haven’t looked it up - but might pay to double check the schematics.
rd

Schematic shows TIP122 for Q5-Q8 but you are right, Q1-Q4 are STP40NF10L.

Guess I need a hot air rework station to handle the heat sink?

#12342 2 years ago

Just picked up an x men le.

Looking to add a colordmd. Led or lcd?

I've heard of a few sound mods. Found fatpanda but i hear of one called mcuzz. Any others I'm missing? Seems like the mcuzz is maybe less of a radical change but I can't find it.

#12343 2 years ago
Quoted from Jeffswack:

Just picked up an x men le.
Looking to add a colordmd. Led or lcd?
I've heard of a few sound mods. Found fatpanda but i hear of one called mcuzz. Any others I'm missing? Seems like the mcuzz is maybe less of a radical change but I can't find it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men/page/226#post-4542910

#12344 2 years ago

Got my Rev B aux board from pinballlife -- back in business, Nightcrawler is bampfing again.

Anyone ever have a problem where a fast shot into magneto seems to not be detected; goes through ball search and then your ball ends?

2 weeks later
#12345 2 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

I got an LE a month ago; today the right nightcrawler fuse blew, and Q48 failed. I replaced it with a TIP102, but the fuse blew and it failed again. I have a rev A aux board. Suggestions?
Q43 looks bad — which makes sense — I’ll try to replace it too.
Ha, no way I’m getting that heat sink off…. Rev B board from pinballlife ordered

Quick question. A buddy lent me his LE and I literally had it for a day when all of a sudden the right nigh crawler won’t drop down and it doesn’t move at all in the tests. I saw he has a rev A board and I’m ordering a new one for him but I don’t see where there is a fuse blown in the back box. Is it under the playfield? Also what is the fuse so I can order one?

#12346 2 years ago

Two fuses under the playfield, 3A 250V slo-blo.

#12347 2 years ago

Still have the occasional problem where a fast magneto shot results in ball over. Ideas? Maybe it’s a switch matrix problem.

#12348 2 years ago

Does anyone have a picture of what they did for the e-clip mod on the Magneto spinner? I see that there is a good 1/8" play and that it vibrates up and down everytime the magnet is energized and makes that awful rattling sound. Can I simply install the e-clip without creating a groove for it?

#12349 2 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

Does anyone have a picture of what they did for the e-clip mod on the Magneto spinner? I see that there is a good 1/8" play and that it vibrates up and down everytime the magnet is energized and makes that awful rattling sound. Can I simply install the e-clip without creating a groove for it?

I can only be so much help here as it has been a long time, but....the e-clip just goes in the stack somewhere. There was no need of any type of modification on the shaft or anything. The e-clip just pops in there and takes up some of the unneeded space. I'm just not sure where it went or between what things I placed it. I'm sure it's on this thread somewhere, but I don't know how good the search feature for something like that would be.

Here's a thread talking about it. On that thread it also links to other posts about it in this thread:

Here is a link to a thread with a link to a thread about fixing it with a picture and size clip needed.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-fix-xmen-le-spinning-disc-rattle

#12350 2 years ago

Thanks, DugFreez ! That exactly what I wasn't able to find for some reason. I'm picking up some 5/16" e-clips today and we'll see how it goes.

I installed the Tmezel Newton Ball mod last night. After installing it and removing it 3 times I finally got it! Some tips for those heading into this:

- It is impossible to adjust the switch contacts once the mod is installed so I recommend adjusting it before final installation - Mount the new switch to the base and dry fit it with only the newton ball and ball bearing in place. You will have to squeeze the switch together to get it smoothly through the playfield notch. Check the switch gap and adjust as necessary, including a small gap between the small ball and the angled blade that it hits.

- Screwing the posts down through the playfield can be tough and you'll be tempted to grab some pliers to twist them down. Instead, use the screws that came with the mod to attach the top cover plate and screw them into the top of the post . Once they hit bottom it will turn the post and make it easy to screw the post all the way in using your screwdriver. Then take the screw out. Easy! I thought of this only after using pliers on the first one and scratching it pretty good.

Now to figure out how to mod and install the giant Wolverine on top of the mod or find a small one on Ebay...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 12,543 posts in this topic. You are on page 247 of 251.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men/page/247 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.