(Topic ID: 16030)

X-Men - Official Club Thread All Welcome!

By pmWolf

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 11,905 posts
  • 589 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Snappy
  • Topic is favorited by 99 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,029 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

42181BB7-E508-4259-93E0-78838B570DB4 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200801_133202168 (resized).jpg
20200801_080442 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1596031092888 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1596031108521 (resized).jpg
7OTpsAr (resized).jpg
324fde43cb54e5dcbff013a171543ca18f7a857a (resized).jpg
15952586331707517082077509572820 (resized).jpg
15952585925678429199185815255665 (resized).jpg
15952585492751003630855761377482 (resized).jpg
20200706_002508 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200624_154949282 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200624_154942861 (resized).jpg
884820DD-AF06-4A42-A06A-EADAA777B492 (resized).jpeg
CEB16E5B-366A-4D71-B8B1-56C47C8C12BB (resized).jpeg
59CEC81E-5C96-413B-A2F0-167AD745889C (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 11905 posts in this topic. You are on page 238 of 239.
#11851 27 days ago

Does anyone with the newton ball mod have problems with it? I do like it and was pretty much forced to change out the Wolverine due to damage from gameplay. Great game, but the plastic characters are horrible. Magneto is now starting to take damage and arm broke off(fixed). Newton is nice, but it doesn’t always register the hit and sometimes the ball gets magnetized to it. I have tinkered with the switch and have accepted that it’s harder to get wolverine multiball, just wanted to be sure the machine works as best as it could. My pinhead friends come over and say it’s not registering enough. I know it’s probably not going register 100% of the hits, just wondering where my middle ground is. Thanks for any input.

#11852 27 days ago
Quoted from Snappy:

Hey gang,
New X-men Wolverine LE owner here (which also happens to be my first pin). Glad to join the club!
I got it home yesterday and noticed a few issues I was hoping to get some direction on:
1. Over the course of only a few games there were multiple instances where a ball got 'stuck' on the wolverine magnet (not stuck under wolverine itself, but actually on the magnet)... the ball just sits on the magnet and after a bit, the game starts going through the motions of trying to find the lost ball. I have to slide the glass out and give the ball a slight nudge to get it off. I tried searching this topic for this issue and found a reference to the magnet being stuck on requiring a board replacement, but not sure if this is the same issue. It doesn't happen every time, other times wolverine (the magnet) 'grabs' the ball for a moment and then lets it go, which I believe is the expected behavior.
2. When I went through diagnostics only the pop bumper flasher doesn't appear to work, however in the game when the ball hits the pop bumpers they do flash, or is that not the same thing?
3. I have a slight chip around the playfield scoop and was thinking about getting the cliffy for that, though there is a disclaimer that it may affect the ability to go into the scoop if the ball is moving slower... this seems like an ok trade-off to me. Does anyone have experience with the cliffy there that would be willing to chime in on if it's worth it?
4. Anyone install the carbon fiber ring from Cliffy that goes around the wolverine magnet, covering the wood? If so, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on it. Seen on the bottom right on this page - http://www.passionforpinball.com/XMen.htm
Lastly, I installed the sound package from fatpanda and love it! Seems like a great pin overall with some depth to unlock over time.
Thanks in advance!!
p.s. I'm definitely planning to install the newton ball mod and replace the magneto and wolvey figures. Echoing what many others have said, I just don't feel like the jibe with the overall sharp aesthetics of everything else in the game.

First, congrats on the pickup!

1) the next time it happens, turn off the machine. If the ball drops, theres a problem with the game holding the magnet on. If it stays on the magnet, the ball is magnetized and will need to be swapped out with new ones. Ballbaron.com has great balls (insert joke here) you'll want to get the Carbon steel balls.

2) Pop bumpers have wedge bulbs in them. They should light up when the pops activate and I beleive in attract mode.

3) The cliffy will block the ball from rolling in 90% of the time. I would live with the chip exposed personally than put a cliffy on. I have the Mantis protector and highly recommend it. No scoop wear on my game with it.

4) i have the carbon ring on mine and it works well.

#11853 26 days ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

First, congrats on the pickup!
1) the next time it happens, turn off the machine. If the ball drops, theres a problem with the game holding the magnet on. If it stays on the magnet, the ball is magnetized and will need to be swapped out with new ones. Ballbaron.com has great balls (insert joke here) you'll want to get the Carbon steel balls.
2) Pop bumpers have wedge bulbs in them. They should light up when the pops activate and I believe in attract mode.
3) The cliffy will block the ball from rolling in 90% of the time. I would live with the chip exposed personally than put a cliffy on. I have the Mantis protector and highly recommend it. No scoop wear on my game with it.
4) i have the carbon ring on mine and it works well.

Thanks!

1. It did end up being a magnetized ball, so thanks for the tip. I went ahead and ordered some new round metal things from ballbaron.com.

2. It's weird, they do seem to light up when the pops activate but not when I do the test. I'll need to investigate a bit more.

3. Thanks for the tip, I ordered a mantis protector for the scoop and a cliffy for the out-lane.

4. Ordered the carbon ring.

#11854 26 days ago

I personally find the pro trans-lite to be more attractive than the Wolverine LE backglass.. I'm curious if anyone with an LE also picked up the pro translite just to swap in and out at their leisure? I was thinking about it, even if it might clash slightly with the wolvey LE blue side rails..

#11855 24 days ago

1: change your balls, suspect they might be magnetised
2: did you have the coin door open?
3: cliffy is fine
4: yes, removed it on a couple of games as it causes airballs.

#11856 23 days ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

1: change your balls, suspect they might be magnetised
2: did you have the coin door open?
3: cliffy is fine
4: yes, removed it on a couple of games as it causes airballs.

I ordered some new pinballs, thanks. I did have the door open, but I needed to in order to hit the buttons to do the light tests.

I ordered the carbon fiber magnet cover so we will see if it results in air balls for me, thanks.

#11857 19 days ago
Quoted from Snappy:

I ordered some new pinballs, thanks. I did have the door open, but I needed to in order to hit the buttons to do the light tests.
I ordered the carbon fiber magnet cover so we will see if it results in air balls for me, thanks.

I put a magnet mylar over the Cliffy ring to stop the edges from peeling up and a cut down tapered post to help the Cliffy

15952585492751003630855761377482 (resized).jpg15952585925678429199185815255665 (resized).jpg15952586331707517082077509572820 (resized).jpg
#11858 12 days ago
Quoted from bartron:

I put a magnet mylar over the Cliffy ring to stop the edges from peeling up and a cut down tapered post to help the Cliffy[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

So there is an issue with the edges of the Cliffy carbon fiber magnet ring peeling up?

#11859 12 days ago
Quoted from Snappy:

So there is an issue with the edges of the Cliffy carbon fiber magnet ring peeling up?

It has been noted in previous posts on this thread. The mylar covers the edge of the ring , so should stop it from happening.

#11860 11 days ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

It isn't too hard to install I found that the plastic was a little tight to install and where you put the posts in was really tight too! I think they could've used posts with hexs around the base to make it easier to install but it works and I'd highly recommend it!

Can I ask how in the world you got the posts to screw in at all? They are so tight I can’t even get them started by hand.

#11861 11 days ago

Got one of these on loan. Can’t wait to dive in! Should be really difficult for me to get to the wizard modes since you have to complete the modes.

Has anyone memorized the xavier mode character outlines and their corresponding shots? Seems way too hard to be worth my time. Are the points that much better than just shooting the Xavier shot to have him reveal it?

#11862 11 days ago

I’m not finding instructions to install the mantis protector on the blackbird scoop.. is it as simple as removing the mech, installing the protector from the bottom (screwing into the wood) and then throwing the mech back on? Thanks

#11863 11 days ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Has anyone memorized the xavier mode character outlines and their corresponding shots?

There’s a chart around - it’ll be in this thread.

Personally I just shoot it twice. I can’t remember stuff like that. Lol.

Tip - from memory, if you start a villain mode after you start Xavier, it’ll automatically start flashing the shot you need.

rd

#11864 11 days ago
Quoted from rotordave:

There’s a chart around - it’ll be in this thread.
Personally I just shoot it twice. I can’t remember stuff like that. Lol.
Tip - from memory, if you start a villain mode after you start Xavier, it’ll automatically start flashing the shot you need.
rd

Will i get reduced points for completing like if I hit Xavier? The extra points for finding the mutant on my own can’t make it worth my while. I’ll check it out.

#11865 11 days ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Got one of these on loan. Can’t wait to dive in! Should be really difficult for me to get to the wizard modes since you have to complete the modes.
Has anyone memorized the xavier mode character outlines and their corresponding shots? Seems way too hard to be worth my time. Are the points that much better than just shooting the Xavier shot to have him reveal it?

I knew them at one time. Some are really easy to spot. Wolverine and Havok (Cyclops shot) are the obvious ones that come to mind. Oh yeah, and the Iceman ramp is never one one of the shots (even when it's Iceman). A perfect example of a simple code fix that would have made the game a little bit better.

324fde43cb54e5dcbff013a171543ca18f7a857a (resized).jpg
#11866 11 days ago
Quoted from Snappy:

I’m not finding instructions to install the mantis protector on the blackbird scoop.. is it as simple as removing the mech, installing the protector from the bottom (screwing into the wood) and then throwing the mech back on? Thanks

Yes, pretty much. It doesnt take too much to install. Just make sure the protector is pushed right up against the edge of the hole.

#11867 11 days ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Will i get reduced points for completing like if I hit Xavier? The extra points for finding the mutant on my own can’t make it worth my while. I’ll check it out.

You get fewer points if you shoot Xavier first. It's not worth the "extra" points if you don't know it. If it means finishing the mode or not, I shoot Xavier instead of hitting random things.

Some mutants are easy to ID like Nightcrawler (on the LE, the targets pop up).

Some of the lesser known mutants have a generic outline and are linked to a pop bumper or one of the stand ups and are a bit trickier to find, unless you know them all really well. I always take the mode completion over the points.

#11869 11 days ago

Looking for a little commentary on the mantis protector.. I bought it because I had some chipping to the right of the black bird scoop (pictured) but after I put the mantis in place I realized that it's more to protect the wood inside the scoop since the mantis is not raised high enough to actually prevent the ball from smacking down where the PF art and scoop wood meet (i.e. where my chipping is occurring).

Am I missing something or do I really need a cliffy to protect against further chipping in the highlighted area in the pic??

side note: the mantis protector hasn't been screwed in yet, but it is loosely in place and pushed up about as high as it will go. I also plan to touch up the black paint where it's chipped and put some hard as nails over it (since that was recommended in this thread and seems to make sense).

fatpanda since we had been chatting a bit on this topic in PMs

7OTpsAr (resized).jpg

#11870 11 days ago
Quoted from Snappy:

Looking for a little commentary on the mantis protector.. I bought it because I had some chipping to the right of the black bird scoop (pictured) but after I put the mantis in place I realized that it's more to protect the wood inside the scoop since the mantis is not raised high enough to actually prevent the ball from smacking down where the PF art and scoop wood meet (i.e. where my chipping is occurring).
Am I missing something or do I really need a cliffy to protect against further chipping in the highlighted area in the pic??
side note: the mantis protector hasn't been screwed in yet, but it is loosely in place and pushed up about as high as it will go. I also plan to touch up the black paint where it's chipped and put some hard as nails over it (since that was recommended in this thread and seems to make sense).
[quoted image]

No, I do not think you are missing anything. Unfortunately the Mantis will not do anything to protect against the wear you are seeing, which I guess is why I've never seen the point of that style protector. The Cliffy does make the shot a bit harder...and I think so often about taking mine off...but seeing a pic like yours reminds me of why I have it there.

#11871 11 days ago

I have the mantis protector on my XMEN and it protected the scoop for the past 8 years. However, I also have that black vertical line with some paint missing. It does not appear the balls have damaged the wood but the paint is wearing on that line. I plan to repaint the line with a paint pen and cover with a little spot clear. I like the mantis protector for its clean look and this is a small sacrifice. YMMV

#11872 11 days ago

I'm not 100% sure on the physics of it, but the mantis protector will keep the ball from further chipping. My XM and DI have mantis protectors and my TNA and R&M all have a similar style protector (on the inside of the scoop). The rim that it creates keeps the ball from beating on the wood edge. My XM has similar wear from the previous owner but has not gotten worse in the time that I've owned it.

#11873 11 days ago
Quoted from bartron:

It has been noted in previous posts on this thread. The mylar covers the edge of the ring , so should stop it from happening.

Thanks, however it kind of raises the question of... is there an actual benefit to having both? i.e. if you need to install mylar to protect the carbon fiber ring from curling up.. why not only install the mylar to begin with and skip the carbon fiber ring altogether?

#11874 10 days ago

The ring hides a little wear around the magnet pole. Also there is a raised lip from the ring. The mylar smooths everything out.
The game does have 10,000 plays on it
FB_IMG_1596031092888 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1596031108521 (resized).jpg

#11875 10 days ago
Quoted from bartron:

The ring hides a little wear around the magnet pole. Also there is a raised lip from the ring. The mylar smooths everything out.
The game does have 10,000 plays on it
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for commenting. I see you showed the magneto spinning disk, do you also put the mylar there as well? I was thinking that adhesion might be an issue due to the rough texture of the disk. .

#11876 10 days ago
Quoted from Snappy:

Thanks for commenting. I see you showed the magneto spinning disk, do you also put the mylar there as well? I was thinking that adhesion might be an issue due to the rough texture of the disk. .

No. This is a Pro so no spinning disc.
The spinning disc just gets dirty and doesn't wear like the Pro.

#11877 10 days ago
Quoted from bartron:

No. This is a Pro so no spinning disc.
The spinning disc just gets dirty and doesn't wear like the Pro.

Ahh, durk, yes I see now that it's a pro. Thanks again.

#11878 8 days ago

Almost got danger room just now. I started beast like 8 times and couldn’t complete it! Haha. I was close to dark Phoenix too. Just needed to do the two villain MBs.

This game is great. Also love trying to maximize Mag MB by collecting lots of hero’s before starting it.

#11879 8 days ago

That's right. the keyword is almost. Many times I have almost gotten to Dark Phoenix and yet have never. I've made it to Danger Room twice, but almost 100 times Glad you are ripping through the game. Its really fun and challenging.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Almost got danger room just now. I started beast like 8 times and couldn’t complete it! Haha. I was close to dark Phoenix too. Just needed to do the two villain MBs.
This game is great. Also love trying to maximize Mag MB by collecting lots of hero’s before starting it.

#11880 7 days ago

Note to self: complete Wolverine the first or second time you play it. It’s like 20 effing hits to start it a third time. Haha

#11881 7 days ago
Quoted from Snappy:

[quoted image]

Use a Cliffy. He makes one with a slightly bigger edge that will cover that wear on the right hand side, plus he makes one with a groove cutout on the left so the ball will still roll into the Blackbird scoop.

#11882 7 days ago

FWIW, here's a pic of my scoop with the mantis protector on it. The little bit of missing black was there when I bought the game. My current audits say 650 plays on it, but I updated my game several times while working on my sound package. I put on a few hundred plays before I was working on that so I would say close to 1k plays with the mantis protector.

20200801_080442 (resized).jpg
#11883 7 days ago

I would put Mylar around the edge of the scoop. That should keep it in the current condition forever. No cliffy

#11884 7 days ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I would put Mylar around the edge of the scoop. That should keep it in the current condition forever. No cliffy

I was just pointing out that the Mantis does do its job in my case. No change in the wear with the protector. After I took this pic, I decided to touch it up and put mylar down, but not necessary with the mantis. ymmv.

#11885 7 days ago

The chip in FatPanda's pic I believe is a manufacturing defect, not wear. When I saw it I realized it looked nearly identical to mine. I also have a mantis on mine and there is minimal wear around the edges.

IMG_20200801_133202168 (resized).jpg
#11886 7 days ago

Anyone have fast shots to Rogue not register? How did you fix it? I’ve adjusted the switch and still misses on hard fast shots.

#11887 7 days ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Anyone have fast shots to Rogue not register? How did you fix it? I’ve adjusted the switch and still misses on hard fast shots.

Yeah...a fast shot will levitate right over the freaking switch. I had to make a clear plastic to sit over the shot to keep the ball down. I just cut it out quick and dirty from some plastic I had laying around and used mounting screws in the area. It's a bit ugly, but pretty much completely hidden. Been ~100% since then, and that was years ago.

#11888 7 days ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Sounds like you are playing without stacking. If you turn stacking on you can play danger room by starting all hero modes and get the super jackpot in magneto MB.

#11889 7 days ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

That switch registers weird. Most other roll over switches you can go in the test and go at them as fast as you want and the test tone will keep up. That switch polls much slower. I had other verify that...I think it may have something to do with it being on a matrix row (or column) along with some optos. I'm suspecting the game just doesn't poll as quickly on that switch or something.

I'm not saying a lane lid to keep the ball from riding up on the ball guide wouldn't help, but I think how the switch is wired may also be part of the problem. Of course, I am just saying that because it always tests different than the other rollers. As I said, other confirmed that and someone even went to the trouble of swapping switches and the testing different always stayed with that Rouge switch wiring location.

#11890 7 days ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

That switch registers weird. Most other roll over switches you can go in the test and go at them as fast as you want and the test tone will keep up. That switch polls much slower. I had other verify that...I think it may have something to do with it being on a matrix row (or column) along with some optos. I'm suspecting the game just doesn't poll as quickly on that switch or something.
I'm not saying a lane lid to keep the ball from riding up on the ball guide wouldn't help, but I think how the switch is wired may also be part of the problem. Of course, I am just saying that because it always tests different than the other rollers. As I said, other confirmed that and someone even went to the trouble of swapping switches and the testing different always stayed with that Rouge switch wiring location.

That is weird. I never noticed that, but that doesn't mean anything. It very well could be that my cover is actually slowing the ball down a bit, giving it more time to register. I always assumed it was just flying over the top without. Either way, it worked for me, so hopefully it's an easy solution for others.

#11891 7 days ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

PS: The second one way ball gate in that back lock area (the one running vertically) wasn't there from the factory. I occasional had balls go in the rear Phoenix lock and trickle out the Rogue lane. The one way ball guide fit there without any permanent modifications (there is already a post there for it) so I added it.

#11892 7 days ago
Quoted from C_S_S:

Sounds like you are playing without stacking. If you turn stacking on you can play danger room by starting all hero modes and get the super jackpot in magneto MB.

That would be way too easy for me. Glad it’s a setting though!

#11893 7 days ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

That would be way too easy for me. Glad it’s a setting though!

I figured if you did any streaming on it and were unsuccessful getting to danger mode without stacking, it might be a good option to switch to before signing off.

#11894 7 days ago
Quoted from C_S_S:

I figured if you did any streaming on it and were unsuccessful getting to danger mode without stacking, it might be a good option to switch to before signing off.

Bowen’s tutorial shows danger room already. I’ll be streaming this a bunch so I’m sure I’ll get there. Haven’t had this a week and have been a couple shots away a few times now.

#11895 7 days ago
Quoted from C_S_S:

If you turn stacking on you can play danger room by starting all hero modes and get the super jackpot in magneto MB.

If he wanted to make it easier, he could put rubbers across the outlanes ...

Hey .. glad stacking is in there as an option, but it turns the game into a hot mess, IMO.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’ll be streaming this a bunch so I’m sure I’ll get there

Aim for DR and Dark Phoenix in the same game. Quite the feat.

rd

#11896 6 days ago
Quoted from rotordave:

If he wanted to make it easier, he could put rubbers across the outlanes ...
Hey .. glad stacking is in there as an option, but it turns the game into a hot mess, IMO.

Aim for DR and Dark Phoenix in the same game. Quite the feat.
rd

That’s the plan! I’ve been very close to getting both in the same game, but have yet to get either. Haha

#11897 6 days ago

Lexan did the trick for me on the rogue shot. Just make sure you have it cover all the way to the bend and it should keep the ball down. Just attached to the existing nut that was on the inner orbit. We shall see how it holds up.

#11898 4 days ago

The magnet in front of wolverine on my table is askew. Ive tried multiple magnets so it’s not the magnet. If you look closely at the pic of the shiny side closest to the camera is slightly above the playfield while the other side of the magnet is slightly below. Anyone else experienced this? I assume it should ideally be perfectly flush all the way around.

42181BB7-E508-4259-93E0-78838B570DB4 (resized).jpeg
#11899 3 days ago

Streaming Wolverine LE tonight at 8 pm eastern if anyone wants to come hangout and help me with rules I misunderstand haha.

www.twitch.tv/SDTMpinball

#11900 3 days ago

Will tune into that tonight, considering getting a Wolverine LE.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Sale Pending!
Fayetteville, NC
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Machine - For Sale
London, EN
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 11905 posts in this topic. You are on page 238 of 239.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside