(Topic ID: 16030)

X-Men - Official Club Thread All Welcome!

By pmWolf

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by KING-HENRY
  • Topic is favorited by 116 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2289 (resized).jpeg
20231210_114221 (resized).jpg
20231210_114216 (resized).jpg
20231210_114212 (resized).jpg
20231210_114207 (resized).jpg
20231210_114159 (resized).jpg
20231015_221002 (resized).jpg
20221212_175404 (resized).jpg
20231202_132135 (resized).jpg
IMG_9543 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9544 (resized).jpeg
gg (resized).JPG
xmen (resized).PNG
MB (resized).PNG
20230806_161030 (resized).jpg
IMG_2846 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 12,543 posts in this topic. You are on page 231 of 251.
#11501 5 years ago

Thanks for the Video
Very Nice work mcuzz !

You should check it out Rarehero

#11502 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I have a sub connected
I installed your remix last night and thought it was done really well overall. Thank you!
My initial thought on it is in regards primarily the main theme. I really liked the orchestral arrangement, but was a little disappointed when it started to loop over right before the climax. I was wondering if it was possible to speed up the clip like 1.2x or 1.5x without it being too noticeable (the TV's theme song seems a little faster) and that way you can get the whole riff and have it loop when it normally does?

Never noticed this, I will see what I can do. Problem with this game is the clips are so short.

#11503 5 years ago
Quoted from mcuzz:

Never noticed this, I will see what I can do. Problem with this game is the clips are so short.

I would imagine it's hard to find a track that has enough variation that it doesn't sound repetitive, but that is short enough that you can loop. I'll play it some more tonight and let the track run, but i'm pretty sure this is that case. Thanks again!

#11504 5 years ago

Clip is only 33 seconds, that climax ends around 50 seconds. if I speed it up it sounds too fast.

#11505 5 years ago

Hey everyone, LE has been on my shortlist for a while based on the fact that I got the impression that its an underrated game after the code updates and maybe a few game and sound tweaks.

I was hoping to play one local but there aren't too much options. There is one on location but I think its beat up. I wanted to get some more details around the game and whether or not its a good pickup.

I am a big borg fan, as well as a mode based player. I love trying for the wizard modes. I'm looking for a game not so hard as TSPP for beating the game but not so easy as hobbit or older 90s games (gofers, etc). Just looking for overall thoughts on the game's challenge and replay ability. Also if you can compare the coding and play ability to any other similar games.

I know this isn't the most unbiased place to ask but looking for honest feedback. Thanks!

#11506 5 years ago

I owned a TSPP. While it's a great game, I got tired of waiting for the garage VUK, or the bus. I find XM to be a similar game, with a similar layout, but with better pacing.

I've never gotten to either of the XM wizard modes, but I did get to several of the wizard modes in TSPP multiple times (the itchy/scratchy one, mystery spot, and the mode based one). That could be because I had more time to play when I owned TSPP, and fewer options, but I do find XM to be a real challenge.

There are adjustments that would make reaching the hero wizard mode easier - like hero stacking. I should probably just turn mine on...

If you like modes, I think you'll like this game. Beating a villian feels like a major accomplishment in itself. The heroes feel like concise mini-modes.

#11507 5 years ago

I bought my LE never having played it before. People that don't like it like to crap on the callouts, and it's not even that bad. It is certainly more packed than the current LEs being released and the artwork is amazing, especially at a time when they were still doing PS artwork. The rules are easy to understand. Basically shoot a hero 2 times to start that mode, then shoot the hero a few more times to finish (Ice Man, Beast, Storm, Phoenix (with some variability), Cyclops). Xavier and Rogue are slightly different. Wolverine is a MB, with its own set of rules.

Villian modes are where it's at. Each villian has a set of different rules that you have to follow to complete. For example, Omega Red captures one of the heroes shown on the DMD and you have to shoot that hero to save him/her. Juggernaut has a few shots that increase the mode value and 2 or 3 other shots that progress towards finishing the mode. It's a nice break away from shooting to qualify, then shooting to finish.

There are 4 MBs in this game and 2 wizard modes. The theme integration is excellent. Storm's mode is great in that the pops cause the pf to go dark and the flashers to flash like lightning with appropriate sound effects. You can complete Phoenix's mode by shooting Wolverine or Cyclop's shots as well has Phoenix shots. For Juggernaut, there are only certain hero shots that will crack his helmet, and Xavier's shot to finish him after his helmet is broken. Just a lot of good thought put into the coding of the theme. If you're into the 90s animated TV series (like me) or into the comics, the theme integration does not disappoint.

Lot's of stuff to do, great theme integration, the sound package overall is a 7/10 but doesn't hinder it so much that the game is unplayable, contrary to what a lot of people that don't like this game like to think. And it can be had for less than a NIB Stern Pro. Win/Win in my book.

1 week later
#11508 5 years ago

Just throwing this out there...I've been working on a sound replacement for XMLE. It first started off with just Beast and Storm, but has turned into a nearly complete sound replacement, with music and callouts. I've spent a ton of time so far. I can post a video later this week if anyone is interested in the WIP.

#11509 5 years ago

I am, share the file please.

#11511 5 years ago

Yes!

#11512 5 years ago

Yep, please share.

#11513 5 years ago

Yes please!!!!

#11514 5 years ago

For pro version????plase...

#11515 5 years ago

Depending on what you pulled the new ones from.

I spent countless hours ripping sound files from the 90s cartoon only to find out I had the sound too low. Gave up after that and just changed a few songs around.

#11516 5 years ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

For pro version????plase...

I'm only working on the LE version right now. If there are enough Pro versions, I will work on that also.

#11517 5 years ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

I spent countless hours ripping sound files from the 90s cartoon only to find out I had the sound too low. Gave up after that and just changed a few songs around.

Balancing the sound volume is as much work as finding the files. Then you have to load up a game, test test test, edit, test test test, etc. I really appreciate someone doing this!

#11518 5 years ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

I pulled mainly from the TV series but did a lot of sound editing try to get the voices to be most prominent. For Beast, his voice is deeper and generally quieter, so it was more difficult to make it stand out. I will likely need to go back over his callouts to amplify them, but the rest of them are sounding pretty good so far. I haven't been able to test the latest batch of revisions yet, so I still have yet to see how they turned out.

#11519 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Balancing the sound volume is as much work as finding the files. Then you have to load up a game, test test test, edit, test test test, etc. I really appreciate someone doing this!

You beat me to it

#11520 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Sólo estoy trabajando en la versión LE ahora. Si hay suficientes versiones Pro, también trabajaré en eso.

Okkkkkkk thanks

#11521 5 years ago

I started a new thread for the sound replacement. PM me if you'd like to try it out. Right now it's for the LE only.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-le-sound-replacement-package#post-4874242

#11522 5 years ago

ok even if it's only for limited edition I'll follow

#11525 5 years ago

yeahhh. Do you have video with new sounds?

#11526 5 years ago

Are you supposed to download to a thumb drive and update like a new code?

#11527 5 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Are you supposed to download to a thumb drive and update like a new code?

Yes.

#11529 5 years ago

Are there any NIB LE's still in existence?

#11530 5 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I recently acquired a Magneto that was new in box about 4 months ago so it's possible

#11531 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I started a new thread for the sound replacement. PM me if you'd like to try it out. Right now it's for the LE only.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-le-sound-replacement-package#post-4874242

Thanks for all the PMs for the sound package. I am going through the last few updates and tweaks and would like to post up a link later this week. I will update the initial post in the thread linked above when it's ready.

#11532 5 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I believe GAP has both a Wolverine LE and a Magento LE still in the box (he did when I checked with him Summer of 2018, but then I found a nice and less esxpensive Magento in Ohio).

#11533 5 years ago
Quoted from c508:

I believe GAP has both a Wolverine LE and a Magento LE still in the box (he did when I checked with him Summer of 2018, but then I found a nice and less esxpensive Magento in Ohio).

What should the NIB price be on these?

#11534 5 years ago

Sound packages are ready for both PRO and LE versions.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-le-sound-replacement-package

#11536 5 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

What should the NIB price be on these?

At least original retail price.

#11537 5 years ago

Unfortunately, my wolvie has had an accident...while his belt is well protected, i amputated his right arm and it hasn't started the regeneration process. Im a fan of the original wolvie and I figured I'd see if anyone had one they would be willing to sell after installing the captive ball mod. I would be particularly interested if u have one with a nice custom paint job. Please PM me know if any of u are interested. Thanks.

#11538 5 years ago

I installed the Mezel Mods newton ball kit. It’s an okay package but I don’t trust letting the posts and screws make their own threads without it splitting. So I tapped all the holes and applied loctite for a secure fit. I also made an aluminum plate for the top, partly because the supplied one was super ugly and partly because I wanted to mount a figure. One thing I would do differently is over gap the switch before installation. I had it gapped perfectly but once through the playfield it got squeezed a little more and was the worst switch adjustment of my life.

That said I’m thrilled with the result and actually enjoy going for the Xavier shot now, and Wolverine is no longer a gimme! This was the perfect time to install FatPandas new sound package as I think this is a big enough change to require a scoreboard clearing. Between the two of these it’s like a new game and I’m back in love.

3E5D90D9-97D7-41CB-9DBE-EC84FD6F0345 (resized).jpeg3E5D90D9-97D7-41CB-9DBE-EC84FD6F0345 (resized).jpeg
#11539 5 years ago

Here is my version of the newton ball mod. I wanted to use the existing Wolverine figure, so I cut off the bottom and then enough in the back so it can rest on the edge of the bumper plastic. I added 3" posts to the back of the assembly rather than the supplied screws. (I originally did not add these 3" posts but in multiball after a few months, Wolverine was hit and fell over onto the playfield and ruined a perfectly good game.) I then positioned the Wolverine figure so that it clears the Iceman ramp and then glue gunned it in front and back. With the 3" posts, if it does get hit again it should not fall over. This has been working for months now. The glue is easy to remove and non-permanent.

I am thinking of how I can mount Wolverine with a bracket but haven't come up with a good method (but have not tried too hard yet).

For extra credit, I also added a picture of my Bowen Beast mini-bust and Bowen clear Iceman mini-bust. The Iceman has a light blue GI always on and a flasher at the bottom.

IMG_0588 (resized).jpegIMG_0588 (resized).jpegIMG_0590 (resized).jpegIMG_0590 (resized).jpegIMG_0593 (resized).jpegIMG_0593 (resized).jpegIMG_7115 (resized).jpegIMG_7115 (resized).jpegIMG_7118 (resized).jpegIMG_7118 (resized).jpegIMG_7974 (resized).jpegIMG_7974 (resized).jpeg

IMG_7963 (resized).jpegIMG_7963 (resized).jpeg Added over 4 years ago:

Posts are 2 1/4" not 3".

#11540 5 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Here is my version of the newton ball mod. I wanted to use the existing Wolverine figure, so I cut off the bottom and then enough in the back so it can rest on the edge of the bumper plastic. I added 3" posts to the back of the assembly rather than the supplied screws. (I originally did not add these 3" posts but in multiball after a few months, Wolverine was hit and fell over onto the playfield and ruined a perfectly good game.) I then positioned the Wolverine figure so that it clears the Iceman ramp and then glue gunned it in front and back. With the 3" posts, if it does get hit again it should not fall over. This has been working for months now. The glue is easy to remove and non-permanent.
I am thinking of how I can mount Wolverine with a bracket but haven't come up with a good method (but have not tried too hard yet).
For extra credit, I also added a picture of my Bowen Beast mini-bust and Bowen clear Iceman mini-bust. The Iceman has a light blue GI always on and a flasher at the bottom.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

I know some people have made an L-bracket that you connect to the old figure's back and have it connect to the top of the post. Then you put a screw through the L bracket and into the post. The L would be upside down and facing outward from his back if you follow what I am saying.

#11541 5 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

I know some people have made an L-bracket that you connect to the old figure's back and have it connect to the top of the post. Then you put a screw through the L bracket and into the post. The L would be upside down and facing outward from his back if you follow what I am saying.

Thanks. I didn't think of that. I have been trying to connect to one or more of the holes in the 3D white printed base. I didn't think that I could connect it upside down (upside down L) as you said to one or both of the posts I added. I added 3". But I realize it would not need to be 3" posts so I can experiment with different sizes to get stability. It would push Wolverine forward by the width of the post but that would be one way to cover the rest of the white 3D surface.

I'll work on that. Thanks, Michael

#11542 5 years ago

Are you guys playing with stackable hero modes or not?

#11543 5 years ago

Not stacking hero modes.

#11544 5 years ago

I stack the modes, I find the game becomes more chaotic and fun that way.

1 week later
#11545 5 years ago

Added mini wolverine model to thingiverse.

Includes the partially designed mount.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3558591

wolverine_thiniverse (resized).pngwolverine_thiniverse (resized).png

#11546 5 years ago

Well after almost 7 years I'm sad to say that I've left the club. Bought Wolvie # 265 NIB from JJ way back in August 2012 and have had a blast with the machine and enjoyed every game (well that would be every game once they finally got the code sorted out!).

A lot of machines have come along since Xmen came on the scene and I think this machine still rocks it and packs a punch.

On my final game last night I collected all the heroes, defeated Magneto, got Gambit, defeated 5 villains, beat the Nightcrawlers a few times, had almost 90 combos, and almost hit 200 million!

It's now with Tommy at Nitro Pinball and it'll be making it's way back to Yegpin next week where the new owner will be picking it up (so there will be a new Pinside owner joining the club soon!).

IMG_0266 (resized).JPGIMG_0266 (resized).JPGIMG_0284 (resized).JPGIMG_0284 (resized).JPGIMG_0290 (resized).JPGIMG_0290 (resized).JPG
#11547 5 years ago

Sad day, but the new owner will be thrilled! 7 years is a good stretch to keep a game. It can definitely hold its own with today's best. Enjoy whatever game that might end up taking its place!

#11548 5 years ago

I ordered the Mezelmods Wolverine captive ball kit today. Recently got the game and knew this was something I'd do. However, I have no idea what to put up there or where to get one. I've looked at action figures and statues and the action figures tend to be ok. Some of the statues are sweet, but tend to be several hundred dollars and I'm not doing that. Plus, many of them seem to be too tall for that area. Looking for pictures and suggestions of what to put there.

#11549 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I ordered the Mezelmods Wolverine captive ball kit today. Recently got the game and knew this was something I'd do. However, I have no idea what to put up there or where to get one. I've looked at action figures and statues and the action figures tend to be ok. Some of the statues are sweet, but tend to be several hundred dollars and I'm not doing that. Plus, many of them seem to be too tall for that area. Looking for pictures and suggestions of what to put there.

Your best bet is to just cut off the belt and put the original back on. If you decide to put something else on, think of durability and how it will withstand an airball. Two friends of mine tried one of the nicer statues. Both were broke within weeks. Besides, I like the look of the original. It matches Magento well and keeps the machine balanced. I always think it looks a little weird when someone replaces Wolverine without also replacing Magneto with something similar. I have seen some great looking machines that did both though.

#11550 5 years ago

I went with knockoff Revoltech figures:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men/page/229#post-4625893

They are highly poseable figures. I used hot glue on Magneto's cape and on the joints of the stands to keep them from moving. I cut up some lexan bases to mount them on.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fontana, CA
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 12,543 posts in this topic. You are on page 231 of 251.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men/page/231?hl=ryandimx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.