(Topic ID: 16030)

X-Men - Official Club Thread All Welcome!

By pmWolf

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by KING-HENRY
  • Topic is favorited by 116 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2289 (resized).jpeg
20231210_114221 (resized).jpg
20231210_114216 (resized).jpg
20231210_114212 (resized).jpg
20231210_114207 (resized).jpg
20231210_114159 (resized).jpg
20231015_221002 (resized).jpg
20221212_175404 (resized).jpg
20231202_132135 (resized).jpg
IMG_9543 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9544 (resized).jpeg
gg (resized).JPG
xmen (resized).PNG
MB (resized).PNG
20230806_161030 (resized).jpg
IMG_2846 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 12,543 posts in this topic. You are on page 189 of 251.
#9401 9 years ago
Quoted from Flippersaurus:

Are there two different Wolverine models? One for pro and one for LE? Why the need for two versions of the mod that protects it from breaking?

I think its because the clearance is different with the moving ramp, so it needs to be mounted differently.

#9402 9 years ago

and than, on the LE, the wolve is more on the left, that means less space to go to Beast left loop...

#9403 9 years ago
Quoted from Flippersaurus:

Are there two different Wolverine models? One for pro and one for LE? Why the need for two versions of the mod that protects it from breaking?

They are mounted differently on the pro and LE but I believe the figures are the same.

#9404 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

They are mounted differently on the pro and LE but I believe the figures are the same.

You can use the pro one on the LE" but the figure will be mounted facing into the beast lane and leave it a tight shot. Most people have remounted the figure to be similar to the Pro where it faces towards the magnet.

#9405 9 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

You can use the pro one on the LE" but the figure will be mounted facing into the beast lane and leave it a tight shot. Most people have remounted the figure to be similar to the Pro where it faces towards the magnet.

wont it also cause the claws to get in the way of the ice ramp or is that wrong?

#9406 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

thanks to all who are working on the rules!!

I've enjoyed working on it. It makes the wait on parts to arrive bearable. With no hints on the DMD or the playfield, seemed like testing with the glass off is necessary to figure out the score progressions.

Quoted from rai:

I do have one simple question, if you make it to DR and lose a ball but still have more remaining do you start where you left off or do you lose your wizard mode when the ball(s) drain?

You drop out of the wizard mode when all balls drain, ending your ball. You can be down to one ball and still be in Danger Room. You cannot restart Danger Room after you have started it, even if you complete all heroes again. I added that to the rulesheet. I've mainly tested with 1.51 and hero stacking off.

Quoted from TomGWI:

Wolverine is.......dead!
Man this is the thinnest piece of plastic I have ever seen.

now that looks very familiar..

#9407 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

wont it also cause the claws to get in the way of the ice ramp or is that wrong?

Well his claws are pointed directly at the ramp no matter how you mount it. Nice custom figure Stern. ...but they should go under the ramp when the ramp is moved to the left.

There really was no reason for Wolvie to be mounted differently between the Pro and the LE. I'm guessing they were just in crunch time and someone shouted "What about the spinning disc?!? Maybe he will be in the way of the spinning disc!!! Hurry...someone grab a router and we can move him over into the Beast lane. That's not really an important shot anyway...everyone knows the Beast sound clips are crap anyway! Here...hack this Blackbird plastic off over the scoop!!! Wait....his elbow is dragging...get a grinder...we need to cut that off too!! GRINDER!!! Oh wait...it's dragging on the Pro too! We need more grinder!!!"

I liked how they talked about how much time they had to work on X-Men...so much more time than a regular game. Yet all of the early pics of the LE were Photoshopped pics of the Pro with the LE features faked in. I can't think of any bigger rush job game. The Wolvie "custom" figure alone is enough to tell the story. Custom designed to have his elbow ground off.

#9408 9 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I liked how they talked about how much time they had to work on X-Men...so much more time than a regular game. Yet all of the early pics of the LE were Photoshopped pics of the Pro with the LE features faked in. I can't think of any bigger rush job game. The Wolvie "custom" figure alone is enough to tell the story. Custom designed to have his elbow ground off.

No reason to have him there now. Throw him away.

Install Jeremy's Newton ball bracket and he is gone forever.

No reason to moan then ... Game is as Borg designed it originally.

rd.

#9409 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Install Jeremy's Newton ball bracket and he is gone forever.
No reason to moan then ... Game is as Borg designed it originally.
rd.

Does this work for the LE?

#9410 9 years ago

I think it's pretty lame that you can not restart DR it's just laziness or lack of care for prior buyers that Stern doesn't brush up the code so that minor issues like this are resolved.

#9411 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Yes it does. That is what rotodave has. Make sure to check out his thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judremys-xmen-wolverine-solution-with-gameplay#post-2151723

I should have the new prototype installed this weekend. After I test it for a bit, I will give the go ahead to TMezel if all is well. There will still be other parts you will need to order if you want to use it. TMezel will only provide the piece to mount in the slot where Wolverine was.

These are the posts you need (4 posts with 3 rubber or Cliffy sleeves):
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-4036-1

You don't put a rubber sleeve on the back right post (on the Pro). On the LE, it might end up being the back left post. You can tell based on if a ball can hit the post.

The Newton ball is this one:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/04-10005

You will also need a 3/4" ball. You can get these from packages of ball bearings on Amazon or elsewhere like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Avler-Chrome-Bearing-Paracord-Monkey/dp/B00C7KGVK4/ref=sr_1_1

Unfortunately, I don't really have time to make kits and send them out. I did this for my own personal machine and others have really come to like it. I think the machine plays faster and better with this there. After all, it seems to have been in the original designs and only removed to add a very badly designed "toy". If X-Men had the captive ball like it was originally designed to, I think it would have sold better (and better software too).

rotodave, if you can update your first post in your thread with the part info, that would be great.

#9412 9 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Yes it does. That is what rotodave has. Make sure to check out his thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judremys-xmen-wolverine-solution-with-gameplay#post-2151723
I should have the new prototype installed this weekend. After I test it for a bit, I will give the go ahead to TMezel if all is well. There will still be other parts you will need to order if you want to use it. TMezel will only provide the piece to mount in the slot where Wolverine was.
These are the posts you need (4 posts with 3 rubber or Cliffy sleeves):
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-4036-1
You don't put a rubber sleeve on the back right post (on the Pro). On the LE, it might end up being the back left post. You can tell based on if a ball can hit the post.
The Newton ball is this one:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/04-10005
You will also need a 3/4" ball. You can get these from packages of ball bearings on Amazon or elsewhere like this one:
amazon.com link »
Unfortunately, I don't really have time to make kits and send them out. I did this for my own personal machine and others have really come to like it. I think the machine plays faster and better with this there. After all, it seems to have been in the original designs and only removed to add a very badly designed "toy". If X-Men had the captive ball like it was originally designed to, I think it would have sold better (and better software too).
rotodave, if you can update your first post in your thread with the part info, that would be great.

BAA has the posts for a buck cheaper if anyone is going this route.

If MezelMods makes the bracket I am so in on doing this mod.

Thanks.

#9413 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Just curious Dave. Does this mod make the game too easy?

#9414 9 years ago

If any could put a kit together for the LE. I'd be greatly appreciated. I'll pay for the time involved on your end, in other words if anyone is ordering one set of parts and could order two of everything etc.. I'd pay for a complete kit.

PM me.

#9415 9 years ago
Quoted from PinDescabarian:

I don't feel it does. I think the Wolverine figure was an afterthought and made the game harder than it should be. The design doesn't make sense with the figure there. It DOES make Wolverine harder to hit, which I like.

#9416 9 years ago

I'm seriously thinking about the captive ball mod. Even though mine hasn't broken yet (knock on wood), it drives me nuts that if 4 ball are on the Magneto spinner at the beginning of his multiball the outer one bangs into Wolverine every rotation. Such a good trick ruined by being too close. 3 balls spin perfect. Just one more reason that this is a great idea.

#9417 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Was this question answered?

#9418 9 years ago

if a pinball parts store offered the captive ball kit so i didn't have ship and purchase the parts separately, i'd probably buy some other parts from their store.
hello? i want to send you money!

#9419 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Was this question answered?

Yes 6 posts up.

#9420 9 years ago

Here was the response to your question TigerLaw

#9421 9 years ago

If there was a re-release of this game as a Premium, who would you rather see the art package done by:

1) Dirty Donny
2) John Byrne
3) Jim Lee
4) Other (Kirby, Turner, etc).

#9422 9 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

If there was a re-release of this game as a Premium, who would you rather see the art package done by:
1) Dirty Donny
2) John Byrne
3) Jim Lee

5) Aurich

#9423 9 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

1) Dirty Donny
2) John Byrne
3) Jim Lee

Stan Lee

#9424 9 years ago

Stan Lee is not a great artist.

However, his son, Jim Lee, is great.

#9425 9 years ago
Quoted from PinDescabarian:

No. It makes the Beast and Xavior shot "as they should be"

It makes Wolverine slightly harder to complete, as the target becomes smaller.

With the byproduct that you're not starting Wolverine all the time.

If you watch the video linked in the thread above, I talk through everything.

rd.

#9426 9 years ago
Quoted from bitCurrier:

if a pinball parts store offered the captive ball kit so i didn't have ship and purchase the parts separately, i'd probably buy some other parts from their store.
hello? i want to send you money!

How is it difficult to place two small orders in order to radically improve your game?

Jeremy has even provided the parts numbers.

Jeeeezzzzz

rd.

#9427 9 years ago

I rarely buy from Marco as they are a rip off. Here are the parts numbers from Pinball Life.

Quoted from rotordave:

The holes in the bracket aren't threaded. I think Jeremy may mean "enlarged to 10/32". If something is plastic printed, things like holes need to be cleaned up with a drill.
If you look at Jeremy's pics, you can see he used a different post as he wanted to put a plastic bit up on top to hold a figure. This would also hold the ball bearing nicely.

You can use any post that is 10/32. I used this one, which is the one that is already on the PF, to the bottom of the right pop bumper. I just used these as that's all I had on hand. $2.25 each x 4 = $9
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1435
As far as the little ball bearing, I would think this would work. Haven't measured, but I think it'd be correct. $1
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2714
And the Newton ball ... $8.95
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=697
I would have to check the height of the switch "target" to recommend a part number, but $10 will cover it.
So $29 plus the cost of the plastic part from MezelMods, probably $60 all up and you transform your machine.
Sounds like a no brainer to me ....
rd.

image-923.jpg 204 KB

#9428 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I rarely buy from Marco as they are a rip off. Here are the parts numbers from Pinball Life.

I agree that the prices are a bit higher, but the posts that I recommend are the ones that the "mount" are designed for. In addition, it lets you make a clear lexan piece to mount on top. you can then mount several different Wolverine figures such as the one I bought or many others on Amazon that you can split at the waist like this (not my machine):

247332-i.jpg247332-i.jpg

#9429 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

How is it difficult to place two small orders in order to radically improve your game?
Jeremy has even provided the parts numbers.
Jeeeezzzzz
rd.

it's not difficult, it's a matter of time. and I don't know what I would do with the leftover 3/4" ball bearings out of that 10 pack. it's more crap that i don't need.
and I saw people were posting parts earlier but it wasn't clear that they would fit together and I didn't want to deal with the frustration of getting the order wrong or asking a bunch of questions.

thanks for working on this and testing it out

#9430 9 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

I agree that the prices are a bit higher, but the posts that I recommend are the ones that the "mount" are designed for. In addition, it lets you make a clear lexan piece to mount on top. you can then mount several different Wolverine figures such as the one I bought or many others on Amazon that you can split at the waist like this (not my machine):

247332-i.jpg 66 KB

If someone put this mod out with a figure it would sell like hotcakes. I know I would be in for one.

#9431 9 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Yes, I forgot yours had the threaded posts. I'm sure Pinball Life sells those too.

That's the beauty, you can do it whatever way you want.

rd.

#9432 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Yes, I forgot yours had the threaded posts. I'm sure Pinball Life sells those too.
That's the beauty, you can do it whatever way you want.
rd.

Actually, they don't. I wanted to buy them from Terry, but it seems to be a part that isn't heavily demanded. It just happens to fill those holes left behind perfectly with a great threaded top left behind.

#9433 9 years ago

Is anyone working on a Pro and LE decal to cover the exposed wood around that area?

#9434 9 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Is anyone working on a Pro and LE decal to cover the exposed wood around that area?

Negative. Had a person, but not sure what happened. Might have been my fault as I became quite busy when a was unemployed a short time ago. If anyone wants to, I say go for it.

#9435 9 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Does Aurich own this game? If so, we should hit him up...

#9436 9 years ago

I am glad there is an alternative replacement for this part that cost $110 to replace each time it breaks. I play X-Men more than any other machine in my small collection. I have a painted wolverine character by Z door that I love. (aesthetically speaking) Thankfully the character has not completely broken, (large crack down the back that I think helps with resiliency for now.) because I would be bummed.

That being said, when it does go, I am glad someone has had the forethought to change the mechanism to something that could be aesthetically better and play like it looks. Hopefully the pinball companies will change there thinking on bash toys and make them "bullet proof".

Thanks again for the alternative.

Danny

#9437 9 years ago

Wish Stern or some secondary would come up with a good mod that was a complete kit.

#9438 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Wish Stern or some secondary would come up with a good mod that was a complete kit.

I'd buy it in a heart beat.

#9439 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

seriously we need it for our pin.

#9440 9 years ago

I'd consider getting a mod for Gambit playing cards as pop bumper caps and a Blackbird plane that lights up if those were available somewhere.

#9441 9 years ago

So is xmen a keeper?

#9442 9 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

So is xmen a keeper?

Certainly a keeper in my collection. I sold my Tron LE over my XMen LE. Granted, XMen was always a dream theme for me, but I just think the game looks amazing . . . great art work and color scheme that I just could not imagine getting rid of it even if I started playing it less.

#9443 9 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

So is xmen a keeper?

Yes.

#9444 9 years ago

Love my Magneto and would love to get rid of that huge bash toy

#9445 9 years ago

For me it is, I didn't like it much the first year or so, but lately I've played it as much or more than any of my games.

#9446 9 years ago

A definite keeper for me. Would be one of the last to leave my collection. I even think the stock Wolverine bash toy is fine.

#9447 9 years ago

I wish someone would make a topper with a lot of characters, not just wolverine or magneto

#9448 9 years ago
Quoted from Donnyman:

I wish someone would make a topper with a lot of characters, not just wolverine or magneto

Heres mine sent u a pm

image.jpgimage.jpg
#9449 9 years ago

nice one, its "hot" for sure !

#9450 9 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

So is xmen a keeper?

Without question. We've had ours since NIB 2 years ago, and still play it almost every day.

Later,
EV

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fontana, CA
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 12,543 posts in this topic. You are on page 189 of 251.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men/page/189 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.