(Topic ID: 16030)

X-Men - Official Club Thread All Welcome!

By pmWolf

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by KING-HENRY
  • Topic is favorited by 116 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2289 (resized).jpeg
20231210_114221 (resized).jpg
20231210_114216 (resized).jpg
20231210_114212 (resized).jpg
20231210_114207 (resized).jpg
20231210_114159 (resized).jpg
20231015_221002 (resized).jpg
20221212_175404 (resized).jpg
20231202_132135 (resized).jpg
IMG_9543 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9544 (resized).jpeg
gg (resized).JPG
xmen (resized).PNG
MB (resized).PNG
20230806_161030 (resized).jpg
IMG_2846 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 12,543 posts in this topic. You are on page 186 of 251.
#9251 9 years ago

I joined the club, thanks to the dude abides! Also looking for help with a back box kit instead of the light tube. Let me know if any one local is willing to help me. Thanks fellas the pin is awesome.
Harley D.

#9252 9 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I just want to say that my X-Men LE makes me realize what a F'ing bad pinball player I am.
I just can't come near mastering any part of the rules...or some of the ramp shots.
UGH!
Robert

Yeah, It's a game changer. I start off with shots strait towards HellFire Club and Brotherhood, then I go for combos towards X-men. If your game is set on stack you might miss some DMD dot dialog. It's such a surge stacker adrenaline mess and then Magneto drops4 balls. One uncanny game..., but BSD>XM... it's a very close match and depends on my mood of course.

#9253 9 years ago

Bsd>XM? Not even close. I've owned bsd, and own XM? Bsd is a great game, but it's way too shallow and one dimensional.

#9254 9 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

I joined the club, thanks to the dude abides! Also looking for help with a back box kit instead of the light tube. Let me know if any one local is willing to help me. Thanks fellas the pin is awesome.
Harley D.

all you need to know is pinballrefinery.com .................... Da best

#9255 9 years ago

I was looking for just cool white led strips no flashers ect ect. Pinball Refinery is great and both Gio and Steve are first class. I was hoping to have a local pinhead show me how to make a custom back box board.
Harley D.

#9256 9 years ago

I like the rules of this game, mostly.

One of the rules I find poorly implemented is Wolverine SJP. If the SJP is not achieved in the first attempt or 2 it seems like such a laborious task starting the mode in subsequent attempts.

Yippee skip, 18 more hits to go.

And there is no progress kept on that mb. Fail, go directly to jail, do not collect $200. Sort of reminds me of the original TF Optimus rules. Granted the Wolverine SJP is not that hard of a SJP, but stuff happens, and I certainly don't get a SJP every time I play Wolverine.

With every other hero, it is straightforward to restart the mode if the objective is not achieved.

I know it is this way mainly because it is linked to multiball and it should not be a gimme to keep starting it. Regardless, it is annoying to have 7 heroes done and have him left over.

Had Wolverine been a multi way combo ending in Wolverine that would have taken the monotony out of it. Maybe a 5 way combo like Xavier, Cyclops, Storm, Ice Man and end at Wolverine awards the solid Wolverine insert. Once the other heroes are done, it takes longer to start their modes, so they won't get in the way of the combo after they are complete.

I always feel like I am wasting my time playing for Danger Room if I don't get Wolverine lit solid on try 1 or 2. After 2 failed attempts, I just play Villains and if I stumble into Wolverine 15 to 18 shots later, so be it.

In short, X Men is more enjoyable when Wolverine is completed early on.

#9257 9 years ago

not false... but in the other way, going to wizard mode is a reward, not something you get every 3 games

#9258 9 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

not false... but in the other way, going to wizard mode is a reward, not something you get every 3 games

I get that, sure. Wizard modes should not be handed out like advertisement flyers.

My point was along the lines: similar to scoring imbalances on some games, I think there are mode shot count imbalances. The number of shots to complete Wolverine is not that many once in the mode, but the shot count to get there is burdensome in later attempts.

#9259 9 years ago

The shots required for Wolverine were bumped up in a recent release because it was too easy to start wolverine when you didn't want to. If you start him, finish him off and you don't have to worry about too many hits later on. It was distracting in previous releases when you could start wolverine 3 times in a single ball, so this was adjusted and I think its better this way YMMV.

Quoted from pinballcorpse:

I get that, sure. Wizard modes should not be handed out like advertisement flyers.
My point was along the lines: similar to scoring imbalances on some games, I think there are mode shot count imbalances. The number of shots to complete Wolverine is not that many once in the mode, but the shot count to get there is burdensome in later attempts.

#9260 9 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

The shots required for Wolverine were bumped up in a recent release because it was too easy to start wolverine when you didn't want to. If you start him, finish him off and you don't have to worry about too many hits later on. It was distracting in previous releases when you could start wolverine 3 times in a single ball, so this was adjusted and I think its better this way YMMV.

Ha! Well yeah, of course I know I should finish him the first time.

There are lots of things I know "in theory"

#9261 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

Ha! Well yeah, of course I know I should finish him the first time.
There are lots of things I know "in theory"

You can adjust how quickly you can restart him if you want to.

#9262 9 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

I was looking for just cool white led strips no flashers ect ect. Pinball Refinery is great and both Gio and Steve are first class. I was hoping to have a local pinhead show me how to make a custom back box board.
Harley D.

Follow this guide:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-make-an-led-backbox-for-30-for-modern-sterns

#9263 9 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

You can adjust how quickly you can restart him if you want to.

True, but I prefer to earn the goals, wizard modes and high scores on factory settings or harder.

It's no big deal, I just felt like talking about some rules on the game and joining in on the conversation

1 week later
#9264 9 years ago

Just joined the club. Got her set up about 4 hours ago. Need to get some sleep before work though. How easily should wolverine register? Mine seems to take s very hard direct hit? Is this as easy as a switch adjustment or something more? Thanks. -Tommy

#9265 9 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Just joined the club. Got her set up about 4 hours ago. Need to get some sleep before work though. How easily should wolverine register? Mine seems to take s very hard direct hit? Is this as easy as a switch adjustment or something more? Thanks. -Tommy

Yes it is a switch. I had to adjust mine as well. Be careful, as you do not want it to be hairpin activation switch. Just my opinion. Good luck.

#9266 9 years ago

I've adjusted it. Looks very close but still ky registering in game.

#9267 9 years ago

Anyone have problems with the ice man ramp switches. 34 35. Are they hard the instal new ones. My 35 says it's broken in the menu

#9268 9 years ago

How do you test and adjust the switch ?

#9269 9 years ago

My switch works sometimes. But sometimes the ramp stops in the middle of the playfield. In menu it said 35 was broken.

#9270 9 years ago

I was just going to replace both switches if need be

#9271 9 years ago

Anyone looking to transfer their membership? I'm looking to join the Xmen club in 2015.

#9272 9 years ago

I did a few searches and found some informative pages. But there's a lot to skim through. Does anyone know of a rules guide for X-Men? I just got this game.

#9273 9 years ago
Quoted from Flippersaurus:

I did a few searches and found some informative pages. But there's a lot to skim through. Does anyone know of a rules guide for X-Men? I just got this game.

Here's a good one:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rcades-x-men-v12415-rule-breakdowns

#9274 9 years ago

Thanks!

#9275 9 years ago

It's too bad that after one goes to all the trouble to figure out the rules that they don't just write them up as an actual rule sheet, and post them here:

http://papa.org/learning-center/player-resources/game-rulesheets/

Having to rummage thru 100+ posts is nothing short of annoying; and hard to figure out, especially when the rules for a couple of software updates are in the same thread.

Robert

#9276 9 years ago

You could do that or if you don't mind waiting I'll do a google doc and post it up there.

#9277 9 years ago
Quoted from e4mafia:

if you don't mind waiting I'll do a google doc and post it up there.

That would be great...

Robert

#9278 9 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

It's too bad that after one goes to all the trouble to figure out the rules that they don't just write them up as an actual rule sheet, and post them here:
http://papa.org/learning-center/player-resources/game-rulesheets/
Having to rummage thru 100+ posts is nothing short of annoying; and hard to figure out, especially when the rules for a couple of software updates are in the same thread.
Robert

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-rcades-x-men-v15-changes-and-rules

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-13-le-rcades-initial-rules-findings-and-other-stuffs

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rcades-x-men-v12415-rule-breakdowns

#9280 9 years ago

So is this machine done code wise now, or do we have anything coming down the pipe? Drives me nuts that the code I'm on doesn't allow me to get to both wizard modes, but I don't want to update it to the latest code and run out of game to play.

#9281 9 years ago

Lets build this out as a team real quick. The PAPA folks just put up my Rules Sheet for Walking Dead, and are excited to add this one, once its done. Many hands make light work.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RXQg7NEYahyzLrrT-E3WXAmhKNtT-eVfqc5GEWZdHL0/edit?usp=sharing

#9282 9 years ago
Quoted from e4mafia:

Lets build this out as a team real quick. The PAPA folks just put up my Rules Sheet for Walking Dead, and are excited to add this one, once its done. Many hands make light work.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RXQg7NEYahyzLrrT-E3WXAmhKNtT-eVfqc5GEWZdHL0/edit?usp=sharing

I did quite a bit of work on the doc this morning, mostly just fleshing things out. One thing that I revised was the info about starting Danger Room...it wasn't quite right. Also, I put in some red bold text where I think there still needs to be more info.

Do you want to put names at the top for people that contributed?

--Luke

#9283 9 years ago

Also, Rcade has done all this work already in very high detail. With his permission, maybe we should just compile his notes into a rules document.

--Luke

#9284 9 years ago
Quoted from Kingoftron:

So is this machine done code wise now, or do we have anything coming down the pipe? Drives me nuts that the code I'm on doesn't allow me to get to both wizard modes, but I don't want to update it to the latest code and run out of game to play.

Which code wouldn't let you get both wizard modes? Was it the case where the 3rd incomplete (now scrapped) wizard mode would block Dark Phoenix if things were qualified in a certain order?

I was thinking that was fixed (scrapped) in the next to last update....and the "nothing left to do" bug was introduced in the very last update.

I know a lot of people mentioned not updating to the last version because it introduced the "nothing left to do bug", but in my opinion having the Phoenix lock bug fixed in the last version largely outweighs the need for me to do anything after Danger Room and Dark Phoenix are completed (since I will never get there) and the lock bug would happen to me every 3 or 4 games before it was fixed.

#9285 9 years ago

Im down for anything anyone wants to contribute. The Google Doc doesn't 'belong' to me - its for everyone. Anyone who wants to contribute, feel free to add it in. Please do get RCade's permission though if you add his materials to it.

Thanks for the assist!

#9286 9 years ago

I was just testing and videoing Judremys captive ball mod he's been working on for the last few months.

I was just belting it around to show the shots and a bit of gameplay for the Xmen newbys, and whattya know, I got to Dark Phoenix for the first time and completed it. I was also one mode from Danger Room but couldn't complete Iceman for the life of me.

I got it all on video ... Itll be a day or two before I can get it on YouTube but I'll let you know when I do.

I'm going to start a new thread on Judremys mod, I think it's the way to go.

Sweet
rd.

#9287 9 years ago

I thought Stern was still doing one more update to Xmens Code?
Can anyone confirm that this is still happening.

#9288 9 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

I thought Stern was still doing one more update to Xmens Code?
Can anyone confirm that this is still happening.

I was told xmen is done by someone who would definately know, and i am happy with the game. Even if i ever get to both wizard modes ( which i doubt will happen) i would be happy to restart the game. Xmen doesnt need any more code imho, its a mature game with awesome code. I am very pleased with the game and the final update Waison coded.

#9289 9 years ago

Finally got my Xmen LE up and fully working. 1.51 is the latest code correct?

#9291 9 years ago

Nice work so far on the rulesheet!

#9292 9 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Nice work so far on the rulesheet!

What page is the rule sheet on?

#9293 9 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I was told xmen is done by someone who would definately know, and i am happy with the game. Even if i ever get to both wizard modes ( which i doubt will happen) i would be happy to restart the game. Xmen doesnt need any more code imho, its a mature game with awesome code. I am very pleased with the game and the final update Waison coded.

One more update just to give it a final polish would be awesome. Some of the voice call outs are wrong e.g. Omega Red walking away with his tail between his legs when you don't defeat him.

This is an awesome game (LE), can't stop playing it.

#9295 9 years ago
Quoted from tonyoz:

One more update just to give it a final polish would be awesome. Some of the voice call outs are wrong e.g. Omega Red walking away with his tail between his legs when you don't defeat him.
This is an awesome game (LE), can't stop playing it.

Having only positive callouts in the game is one of the most annoying parts of the game. Well, there is one negative callout...Cyclops says "Nooooooo! I missed it!" when you beat his mode.

Everything else is "We did it gang! We really beat those bad guys!" after you lose a mode.

One more update would be nice to at least have the game reset after both wizard modes...but I'm betting recording new callouts is not going to happen.

As I have said before, I ruined this game for myself because I had so many things in mind that would have been better than what is there now rules wise. I finally realized that wasn't going to happen and was hoping for some common sense changes...I then saw that wasn't going to happen and settled on the blandness that is X-Men. So much missed opportunity and wasted potential. In my opinion it is now a good, unpolished, poorly thought out and poorly designed (Wolvie for the most part) game in many ways.....that is fun in spite of it's many missteps.

#9296 9 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

As I have said before, I ruined this game for myself because I had so many things in mind that would have been better than what is there now rules wise. I finally realized that wasn't going to happen and was hoping for some common sense changes...I then saw that wasn't going to happen and settled on the blandness that is X-Men. So much missed opportunity and wasted potential. In my opinion it is now a good, unpolished, poorly thought out and poorly designed (Wolvie for the most part) game in many ways.....that is fun in spite of it's many missteps.

Honestly, I'm surprised you still own it.

All you've done since you bought it is complained about it.

rd.

#9297 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Honestly, I'm surprised you still own it.
All you've done since you bought it is complained about it.
rd.

Me too.

As I said, I'm well aware that my expectations are largely what has tarnished the game for me. I think the main reason it has stayed is to see if a better Wolverine mounting / protection / alternative is made for the LE. It seemed for a bit that there were so many Pro options on the way...but nothing mounted and tested on a LE. So....still waiting.

Another reason is I want to be sure before selling it and I'm incredibly lazy when it comes to moving games in and out. Better to hold on to the game for too long than to sell and regret it or be one of the early folks that were saying "10K by Christmas" and "This game can do no wrong" and "Puppies and rainbows!" then sell it after the first month of bad code and still bash it to this day without seeing how it has changed.

Anyone that has had the game from the start really deserves a merit badge in patience. Jumping on with X-Men when things were working is fine, but I'm sure a lot of those people don't realize how broken this game was in various code revisions and how with each revision you didn't have to just worry about what wasn't getting fixed...you had to worry about what was going to get broken and the game becoming a worst game than it already was. That is still true, as there are many people that never did upgrade to the last version because it introduced the "nothing left to do" situation with the game not resetting the modes after the 2nd wizard mode is hit. It also completely ditches the FINAL wizard mode that was included, but incomplete from the previous version. When you have people not wanting to update to the "final" version....that's not a good sign.

That being said....if the 1.50 code would have been the first or second code revision and if it hadn't taken them a year + of running in circles to get to that point...I'm sure the game would be in a much more solid / finished state. As i it is, the 1.51 code feels more like the code that has the rough edges taken off, but still needs another update or two to fix bugs and shine.

At least I held out until the dark days of the code passed. Version 1.50 was quite the jump ahead. There was a Mags LE that sold at the Ohio Show in the dark days of the code for $4600 and the seller had to beg someone to buy it for that.

#9298 9 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Me too.
As I said, I'm well aware that my expectations are largely what has tarnished the game for me. I think the main reason it has stayed is to see if a better Wolverine mounting / protection / alternative is made for the LE. It seemed for a bit that there were so many Pro options on the way...but nothing mounted and tested on a LE. So....still waiting.

Well, I believe your wait may be over.

Here is Judremy's Captive Ball Solution

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judremys-xmen-wolverine-solution-with-gameplay#post-2151723

I will post up some gameplay shortly as well on that thread ... including Dark Phoenix.

rd

#9299 9 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Which code wouldn't let you get both wizard modes? Was it the case where the 3rd incomplete (now scrapped) wizard mode would block Dark Phoenix if things were qualified in a certain order?
I was thinking that was fixed (scrapped) in the next to last update....and the "nothing left to do" bug was introduced in the very last update.
I know a lot of people mentioned not updating to the last version because it introduced the "nothing left to do bug", but in my opinion having the Phoenix lock bug fixed in the last version largely outweighs the need for me to do anything after Danger Room and Dark Phoenix are completed (since I will never get there) and the lock bug would happen to me every 3 or 4 games before it was fixed.

I'm on 1.5 and don't want to go to 1.51 because even though the odds of me completing all the modes are very slim, I don't want the game to end.

#9300 9 years ago

I still would like a actual smaller (Wolv) on my pro what has anyone come up with? I know hemi did one but what was the results maybe he could chime in for us.
Harley D.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 12,543 posts in this topic. You are on page 186 of 251.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men/page/186 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.