(Topic ID: 16030)

X-Men - Official Club Thread All Welcome!

By pmWolf

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2289 (resized).jpeg
20231210_114221 (resized).jpg
20231210_114216 (resized).jpg
20231210_114212 (resized).jpg
20231210_114207 (resized).jpg
20231210_114159 (resized).jpg
20231015_221002 (resized).jpg
20221212_175404 (resized).jpg
20231202_132135 (resized).jpg
IMG_9543 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9544 (resized).jpeg
gg (resized).JPG
xmen (resized).PNG
MB (resized).PNG
20230806_161030 (resized).jpg
IMG_2846 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 12,541 posts in this topic. You are on page 174 of 251.
#8651 9 years ago

I am a proud owner of Magneto #241.

I previously had purchased 5 machines. Xmen was my 6th. 3 of my first 5 were NIB (LOTR LE, SM, IM). The other two were HUO (POTC and TSPP). But the NIB purchases were games that had complete code already by the time I purchased them. Xmen was my first NIB pre-order in July 2012. A few days after I ordered mine, the first videos were leaked. So much hype and excitement. Got home from vacation and the game arrived mid August. Loved the look of the Magneto LE version, and really liked the theme, layout and toys. Loved the lighting. Voice acting was great for most characters. And the music was extremely well done. Wasn't thrilled with the code early on, but thought it was unique and had lots of promise.

Then reality set in (for far too long). I was not at all prepared for the unfinished code, the release delays and lack of communication. I naively thought that all games got code as good as LOTR and TSPP within a few months. Boy was I ever wrong. The 1.23 craptacular xmas power pack "present" that Stern and Waison gave us sucked so bad. Just the Wolverine voice bug (where every shot made gave a Wolverine voice callout) almost drove me up the wall, let alone all the other bugs. I became one of the early and consistent bitchers about the code, and communication. So many of us banded together, pleading for fixes or at least some info. And unfortunately, many people pulled the plug on the game and moved on. The code just sucked too bad for too long.

When the next updates finally arrived, the reputation of the game was already sewered. What a colossal waist by Stern. The hype and excitement in the pin community was off the charts. And they just blew it. However, if there was one thing that I think Stern did change as a result of this game and the backlash from pinside was how they communicate with their customers. While its not perfect, I think they are a bit better about letting us know about code updates.

I am so glad that they did not abandon the game. The subsequent updates were solid. Bugs were fixed. Rules had complexity and simplicity to them. The toys in the game became well implemented. Villains were nicely tweaked to be a bit easier and Deadpool mode added great strategy and help to finish villains. Super cool and unique wizard modes were added. And it was so cool that they allowed the owners to set up the code how they liked it with respect to stacking.

This is now one of my favourite games I own. I really hope that it gets at least one last code update. No need for new modes, but just some polish and bug fixes. I think, in time, the LE's will be more and more sought after as there are no premiums.

#8652 9 years ago

One thing that changed for me about this game though was that I have not purchased another pre-order NIB game. The process was just too painful. My next 4 games (TF LE, AV LE, Tron and MET LE) were only purchased after the code was solid. For example, I really thought MET looked cool. Loved the layout and toys. But the code was so "meh" for so long. Just multiballs and S&D, with a 500k "mystery" shot. No progress to anything substantial. I wanted to like the game, but couldn't - I watched a good friend and fellow pinsider suffer the lack of code for so long. We all had faith in Lyman, but it took a long time. Then when 1.5 hit and I got a chance to play it, I knew I had to have one. 1.6 after I picked it up was like icing on the cake.

Long story short, for me, I think its just best to wait until code is out for a good 8-12 months before I place any orders.

Xmen made me vow not to pre-order again. That likely makes it harder to pick up an LE (would have loved a MET LE, but settled for a premium), but oh well.

Unless Stern announces TWD by Borg and Lyman with a new LCD display...

#8653 9 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

This is now one of my favourite games I own. I really hope that it gets at least one last code update. No need for new modes, but just some polish and bug fixes. I think, in time, the LE's will be more and more sought after as there are no premiums.

Speaking of bugs...was the bug ever fixed that didn't award the combo extra ball?

I would also hope they would fix the game so it isn't game over after the final wizard mode. Not like I will ever get there but it seems a pretty big over site that they don't have the villains and heroes reset after seeing all there is to see.

#8654 9 years ago

I like to think I played a small roll in getting the final code update. I was the guy who asked Ritchie in Houston whether it would have one and Ritchie publicly said "sorry but no, it was a mess up" and that got everyone riled up and made and stern started to work on it.

My small contribution. Ha!

#8655 9 years ago

I had been out of the loop from pinball for a number of years, so I didn't know what was happening for a while, I mean like 2007 to 2012. So I missed out on IM, SM, Tron etc.. So when XM was due out, I was thinking more along the lines of Tron LE or AcDc LE and not thinking along the lines of TF LE or RS LE or Avatar LE. IOW I was thinking it was a good bet to be a superior pin and with no premiums out and it being a real theme I was interested in, I took the plunge without really knowing what to expect.

I could have got a left over Tron pro but they were up over $5k by this time, as it was before the Tron re-run. And to me, I thought XM was similar to Tron with 3 flippers and 2 ramps and inner loops etc.. But with XMLE having magnets and pop up toys to boot, I thought XMLE would be like a more toy filled version of Tron.

I got XMLE and was plagued with some issues such as code and misaligned wolveriene figure (still) and blown aux board and post mod (required) and I also had a sticking flipper issue that was eventually resolved. In all the first 18 months were not great. I was soured on the game like a lot of people. In the first 18 months I doubt I played it 180 games.

Also during that time I had picked up a new re-run of Tron which quickly became my favorite game and sat next to XMLE, I also picked up AcCc premium which became my most fun pin and I picked up SM which I viewed somewhere below Tron -AcDc premium but well above XMLE. So XMLE was not getting played as much as the others even though the new code and Deadpool had improved the gameplay.

I guess to me, XMLE was the mistake I made, heck even now it seems no one wanted to buy it, not exactly but when I placed it up for sale no one was beating down my door.

So, I had to do one of two things, either lower the price until it hurt or keep the game. In other words, I could probably sell it for $5k but was it worth that to me? I mean let's say I saw a TDK or AVLE for the same price would I like those games more than XMLE?

I started to play XMLE to see if it was any good? At first, I thought it was still the dog, I mean hitting Beast and Storm and Rogue even Ice ramp was not easy like hitting the ramps on Tron or Acdc. But I pushed through and started playing more games in a row and began to hit my shots better, I found the game was not a dog but it was still not easy to make some shots. Once I was able to focus on making the shots I was able to appreciate the code more and appreciate the game more. It's a tough game and I have to slow down and control the ball more. I think it's very deep, I have never got to DR yet and certainly not to DF. But now I am getting closer and having fun playing it.

I have given the game a second chance and found that I like it a lot, it's never going to be my favorite game, but I do think it's better than some people give it credit for and I can see why. If I had judged it in the first 18 months or the first 100 games I probably would have said it was one of the biggest mistakes I've made in buying a game. But now it has grown on me, and I play it more than most of my other games.

#8656 9 years ago

I'll join this club.

Wolverine #146.

Easily my most played game since I got it a year ago.

#8657 9 years ago

Sold my Wolverine a few days aso, #109. Well, traded for a very nice CV.

I liked the game a lot but the process getting there was pretty painful.
I was also one of the first guys in N.A. to take delivery so I've had it from day one and been on the whole roller coaster ride.

I think it's a great game now, but I was ready for a change.
I think XMLE is just too good with deep code, awesome art and dots and great modes to not become a top 10 Stern title. The low production numbers will also make this title very collectable one day... but then there's the "stern vault"

#8658 9 years ago

Does anyone know if Stern is working on the code at all?

#8659 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Does anyone know if Stern is working on the code at all?

The last code update with Deadpool will be the final code for XMEN.
I think its fine and am very happy with the game.

#8660 9 years ago

So 1.51 is the Final?

#8661 9 years ago

I'm in! Wolvie #150 from day one. A roller coaster ride for sure.
image.jpgimage.jpg

#8662 9 years ago
Quoted from e4mafia:

So 1.51 is the Final?

I think the general consensus is 1.5 is a better code then 1.51 so most people just stayed at 1.5.

#8663 9 years ago

image-931.jpgimage-931.jpg

Will be joined by IM soon, so I will have three Ritchie and three Borg pins

#8664 9 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

The last code update with Deadpool will be the final code for XMEN.
I think its fine and am very happy with the game.

There are still some bugs, so never say never. Hell, IM just got an update recently before the vault release was announced. Small updates, but an update none the less.

#8665 9 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

There are still some bugs, so never say never. Hell, IM just got an update recently before the vault release was announced. Small updates, but an update none the less.

Sure some things can be worked out but as it stands now code & gameplay wise it is an absolute monster. Greatly underrated for now.

#8666 9 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

It was funny going back and looking at some old posts in this thread.
Like people being amazed that the thread got to 800+ posts without playfield pictures. In fact there were no pictures until PAGE 33 (over 1600 posts)!!! Or how PMwolf thought that the thread would die a slow death at around page 34 or 35 (its at 173!)

I wonder how many posts there were before I started crapping on about "how great Xmen is and it'll become a classic"

rd.

#8667 9 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I think the general consensus is 1.5 is a better code then 1.51 so most people just stayed at 1.5.

I'll have to go back and look at the differences then - Gotta have the best!

#8668 9 years ago

I prefer 1.51. It has some tweaks to Dark Phoenix as well as some other miscellaneous fixes. The downside to 1.51 (according to RCade's excellent research) is that after you get Danger Room and Dark Phoenix, the hero and villain inserts don't reset. That means you can't really go around and try to get the wizard modes again. For me, though, I'm not too worried about that. How often are you going to get to both Danger Room and Dark Phoenix in one game?

--Luke

#8669 9 years ago

Is that only if you've hit both DR and DP? I've been to DR and choked, and would have loved to get back to it again, but don't recall if the heroes reset or not.
Too bad they'll never release the code - some talented programmers out here could probably debug everything very quickly.

#8670 9 years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that the hero lights reset after just getting to Danger Room in either 1.5 or 1.51.

The difference between the two codes is that in 1.5 there was an unfinished wizard multiball mode that would start after Danger Room and Dark Phoenix. After that wizard multiball, I believe the hero and villain lights would reset. That wizard multiball was taken out of 1.51 and thus the lights don't ever reset.

--Luke

#8671 9 years ago

Xmen Wolverine 141 here.

...and Omega Red wets his bed.

#8672 9 years ago

XM Wolverine 185 here.

"You dare challenge the master of magnetism."

#8673 9 years ago

Wolverine #69 with a lot of Hemi mods, Gio painted Wolvie / Mags and a shaker.

#8675 9 years ago

Wolverine #127 here

#8677 9 years ago

can someone send me a link to all the cool xmen mods please.

#8678 9 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

can someone send me a link to all the cool xmen mods please.

The best ones were from Hemi and Gio. Don't think they are making them anymore for XM.

#8679 9 years ago

Im in with Magneto LE #122

CAM00626.jpgCAM00626.jpg
#8680 9 years ago
Quoted from LITZ:

The best ones were from Hemi and Gio. Don't think they are making them anymore for XM.

They are making all of them still. Listed on the Pinball Refinery website.

#8681 9 years ago

Any pick up the comic issue number to go along with their LE #.
I have #122 and my buddy is getting me issue #122 to match.

#123 is sweet.

X-Men_Vol_1_122.jpgX-Men_Vol_1_122.jpg 479px-X-Men_Vol_1_123.jpg479px-X-Men_Vol_1_123.jpg
#8682 9 years ago

1.51 has the lock issue fixed that 1.5 didn't. That will effect a player 100 times before they ever complete both wizard modes and see the modes don't reset.

For those that don't know what that bug was....I believe it was there in every version of the code (until 1.51). If you soft plunge the ball for the skill shot and hit the Storm ramp and then directly hit the Phoenix shot to lock the ball....the ball would not lock even though the lock light was lit. The issue was that there was a timer on the lock that didn't allow a lock that early in the ball.

1.51 fixed that. Now you can soft plunge, hit the Storm ramp and then go right in the Phoenix lane for the lock (if it is lit). I'm not sure if they shortened the time before it became active or they did what they should have done in the fist place and had any switch hit that wasn't Phoenix or the shooter lane switch turn it on.

Even on the old code with this bug it wouldn't happen every time (as I'm sure the time it takes between hitting the Storm ramp entrance switch and the Phoenix switch varies a bit). If they did fix it just by changing the timing....I doubt they had to shorten it by much.

It was still one of the bugs that bothered me most...as there is nothing worse than starting a game off nice like that and then getting the lock cheated from you.

#8683 9 years ago
Quoted from erak:

#123 is sweet.

X-Men_Vol_1_122.jpg 35 KB

479px-X-Men_Vol_1_123.jpg 119 KB

#123 (Wolverine version anyway) is about three miles down the road from me at my buddy's house. He has that comic framed and a blown up photo of it behind the game. He bought it HUO from another pinsider but I can't now remember who it was.

#8684 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

#123 (Wolverine version anyway) is about three miles down the road from me at my buddy's house. He has that comic framed and a blown up photo of it behind the game. He bought it HUO from another pinsider but I can't now remember who it was.

Here's the thread, that's a cool one to own...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wttft-my-x-men-wolverine-123-for-your-trs-le-chicago-area

#8685 9 years ago
Quoted from erak:

#123 is sweet.

Wolverine #94 here. Issue #94 is a bit too rich for my blood. Even a rag is $100+.

Maybe I should have splurged when I got my game and requested #6. I do have that issue.

#8687 9 years ago
Quoted from erak:

#123 is sweet.

Oh yeah, I've got Issue 141 (and Giant Size #1, auto'd by Stan Lee) sitting on top of my machine.

I've got a pretty good X-Men run, including #94...and a ton of doubles from 115-on.

Always liked that 123 cover. John Byrne rocked...

Pete

#8688 9 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Oh yeah, I've got Issue 141 (and Giant Size #1, auto'd by Stan Lee) sitting on top of my machine.
I've got a pretty good X-Men run, including #94...and a ton of doubles from 115-on.
Always liked that 123 cover. John Byrne rocked...
Pete

I found this marvel age #122 Glad its an anniversary issue. Its cool if you can match up the comics to your LE# and you come up with some cool finds.

c0_68292_0_MarvelAge122.jpgc0_68292_0_MarvelAge122.jpg
#8689 9 years ago

Wolverine #101 checking in, first appearance of Phoenixx-men101.jpgx-men101.jpg

#8690 9 years ago

Wolverine No. 3, first appearance of the Blob.

XMen 3.jpgXMen 3.jpg

#8691 9 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

IM got an update???? When did that happen?

#8692 9 years ago

In the process of purchasing a NIB Wolverine LE. This pin is on my wish list, and I could not be more excited! This will be my first NIB experience.

#8693 9 years ago

Have several issues, including #123 and a complete set of 1992 Marvel Masterpieces. Remember these bad boys?

image.jpgimage.jpg
image-91.jpgimage-91.jpg

#8694 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballTiger225:

In the process of purchasing a NIB Wolverine LE. This pin is on my wish list, and I could not be more excited! This will be my first NIB experience.

You honestly couldn't pick a better game to have that experience with. Check my game rankings!

#8695 9 years ago
Quoted from Kingoftron:

Have several issues, including #123 and a complete set of 1992 Marvel Masterpieces. Remember these bad boys?

image-91.jpg 170 KB

Get those bagged and boarded!!

=)

#8696 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

You honestly couldn't pick a better game to have that experience with. Check my game rankings!

This game I have gone from dislike to tolerating to really enjoying the more I play it.

Some games, I love from the first roll like Tron and ACDc and SM, but XMLE was really on the chopping block for a while.

Especially when I could never make Storm when I needed to. Now when I am able to make that shot it's a mini victory celebration.

#8697 9 years ago

I ordered my cliffys... now I just need a game to put them in.

#8698 9 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Get those bagged and boarded!!
=)

Haha, they are. I just did that for the photo.

#8699 9 years ago

I own a Magneto and a LOTR LE. When people come over the Xmen gets twice the amount of play then the LOTR. I kinda prefer it as well.

#8700 9 years ago
Quoted from Dellamarmalade:

I own a Magneto and a LOTR LE. When people come over the Xmen gets twice the amount of play then the LOTR. I kinda prefer it as well.

The simple facts are, LOTR is way overrated and Xmen is way underated.

There. I said it.

LOTR is a snooze fest next to Xmen. I played LOTR the other day, after about 40 minutes playing it, I just lost interest. Maybe it's just my mental capabilities can't handle playing one game for 1-2 hours. Probably the case.

rd.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fontana, CA
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 49.99
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Coos Bay, OR
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts
Protection
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
There are 12,541 posts in this topic. You are on page 174 of 251.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men/page/174 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.