(Topic ID: 16030)

X-Men - Official Club Thread All Welcome!

By pmWolf

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by KING-HENRY
  • Topic is favorited by 116 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2289 (resized).jpeg
20231210_114221 (resized).jpg
20231210_114216 (resized).jpg
20231210_114212 (resized).jpg
20231210_114207 (resized).jpg
20231210_114159 (resized).jpg
20231015_221002 (resized).jpg
20221212_175404 (resized).jpg
20231202_132135 (resized).jpg
IMG_9543 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9544 (resized).jpeg
gg (resized).JPG
xmen (resized).PNG
MB (resized).PNG
20230806_161030 (resized).jpg
IMG_2846 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 12,543 posts in this topic. You are on page 108 of 251.
#5351 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I wouldn't mind it if
1.) The Villian modes were available to start during that phase
2.) You got some reward for defeating Magneto. With all or most of the X-Men collected, it's not too tough to get the Super Jackpot and defeat him...but there doesn't seem to be any reason to do so at this time. Magneto isn't a required character for the wizard mode (I think), so - getting a prize like lighting Xtra Ball or Special might be nice.

Agreed.
I was at robs house yesterday watching him play; he was on ball 2 and just finished the initial mmb and I remarked, "nice Job, now you get to start playing the game."

The initial mmb is cool in theory but has a pointless delivery. That's why I suggested implementing it later in the game. After all, how often do heroes fight the villains in a "final battle" in comics, tv, movies, or video games? Answer - all the time. So putting this sequence as a mini wizard mode deeper in the game seems fitting to me.

#5352 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

2.) You got some reward for defeating Magneto.

If his insert would just stop flashing I would consider that an awesome award.

#5353 11 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

Well I am still on talking about the rollover and movable ramp....
I am still trying to figure out the purpose of the movable ramp.... I guess I understand it in the Iceman mode as it sets up continual shots to Icemand but what is the purpose during multiball?

Someone said that they are going to make it so the ramp does *not* move to the left side of the PF during MB in the next update.

#5354 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

The initial mmb is cool in theory but has a pointless delivery. That's why I suggested implementing it later in the game. After all, how often do heroes fight the villains in a "final battle" in comics, tv, movies, or video games? Answer - all the time. So putting this sequence as a mini wizard mode deeper in the game seems fitting to me.

It does sound like a wizard mode that they accidentally put at the start of the game... If there was SOME connection to how the rest of the game progressed, it would make a bit more sense, but to simply have it as an initial point scorer with no knock-on effect sounds a bit silly... and annoying... This could be that mini-wizard you mentioned for getting all the modes started

#5355 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

a) Software mods are something that the user can't make him/her self... i.e. it won't happen.
b) With your proposed mod, you can simply catch the ball after it's released 'anywhere else' before it hits a switch and then score a right in-lane hit after the timer expires...
c) How would it work in multiball?
d) As Markmon says, this removes the player interaction of juggling the rollover lights with the flipper button... which is the whole 'purpose' of being able to change rollover lights with the flipper button...
Re B and C, the game knows when the ramp is on the right side anyway, surely there's a switch to tell it it's home... so these actually vanish... leaving just a)... which almost definitely won't vanish... and d) which 100% definitely won't vanish.

I'll take a stab at this one more time before we start beating a dead horse here. I'm talking about official Stern code (not hacked) and 'x' amount of time is not user selectable through software but something Stern comes up with as a default value that works. Now that I took a closer look at the PF the distance of the left inlane switch would be greater distance than the right inlane, this would make a software option even more realistic because we are talking a very short window for the lit right inlane to award from a know average time stamp from the ramp made switch and end of loop when the left inlane switch hit or timeout/incorrect lit lane to trigger a missed right inlane shot. We're talking fractions of a second here and I really think this could actually work.

As for a physical swith added to the end of the ramp drop area would still be over two inches away from the original right inlane switch and be more confusing and have more crap in the way of the hard to see right side anyway.

This is all just fun hypothetical talk and I'm sure Stern will come up with something creative regardless and not leave people hanging.

#5356 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

It does sound like a wizard mode that they accidentally put at the start of the game... If there was SOME connection to how the rest of the game progressed, it would make a bit more sense, but to simply have it as an initial point scorer with no knock-on effect sounds a bit silly... and annoying... This could be that mini-wizard you mentioned for getting all the modes started

exactly!

#5357 11 years ago
Quoted from Tekman:

I'm sure Stern will come up with something creative regardless and not leave people hanging.

I have to say I admire your optimism!! On 2nd thought's, I've just realised it's a joke... sorry for initial confusion...

#5358 11 years ago

For those of you that want villain mode progression or somehow to make the villains easier, after playing some more, I really don't think we need it. The villains are very easily defeated with this strategy:

1) Lock 3 balls
2) Start a villain mode
3) Lock 4th ball
4) Ignore the MB and shoot only the villain shots.

I've had some really awesome luck beating each villain mode I've started this way - I'm about 75% chance that I will defeat the villain doing ths. The MB stacking with villain modes totally works in your favor. It also gives subsequent MB's a purpose since they don't score right now.

#5359 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

For those of you that want villain mode progression or somehow to make the villains easier, after playing some more, I really don't think we need it. The villains are very easily defeated with this strategy:
1) Lock 3 balls
2) Start a villain mode
3) Lock 4th ball
I've had some really awesome luck beating each villain mode I've started this way - I'm about 75% chance that I will defeat the villain doing ths. The MB stacking with villain modes totally works in your favor. It also gives subsequent MB's a purpose since they don't score right now.

Absolutely what I've been doing as well. Still....there are so many modes, that it's still somewhat hard to stack them all with MB.

#5360 11 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I though single standup targets have done this since the dawn of time? It looks like the best suggestions would be to make the hole smaller in the playfield so the don't have room to shift right and left.

This has annoyed me for years. The left target on my TAF bear kick ramp always points outward and makes the Thing shot just that much tighter. It is very common.
A smaller hole wouldn't do anything since the target itself is wider than the arm of the switch. The hole has to be large enough to pass the target through. I'm just surprised nobody has ever come up with a plastic or metal spacer insert that could snap into place once the switch is installed. This would be the most effect method of keeping them straight up.

#5361 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

1) Lock 3 balls
2) Start a villain mode
3) Lock 4th ball

I've done this to beat a couple of villains, but couldn't pay attention to the DMD while playing. I know the villain mode sounds effects still trigger while in multiball mode, but does it show any of the villain mode DMD animations also?

#5362 11 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I've done this to beat a couple of villains, but couldn't pay attention to the DMD while playing. I know the villain mode sounds effects still trigger while in multiball mode, but does it show any of the villain mode DMD animations also?

It at least seems to when you defeat them. I am generally too busy playing to look even in single ball. DMD animations are really only good for spectators in my opinion.

I really think this is a viable strategy since the magneto MB is so easy to start. It's very similar to my AFM strategy of destroying ships 3-end during MB to avoid the center drains from shooting the ship.

#5363 11 years ago
Quoted from rgb635:

Sorry guys... I guess I should have been more specific. I phone ordered and received the shaker kit for $150.00 after email inquiry. Although not listed on their website along with Stern machines they have the shaker accessory. Please contact Michael F. Daddona, Jr.General Manager at Automated Services LLC 203-877-0348 or 800-727-8363. His assistant may take your order also. It was shipped via UPS and arrived in 3 days.

Thanks Man, I just called automated services and ordered the shaker motor. $150 shipped. Awesome deal.

#5364 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

It at least seems to when you defeat them. I am generally too busy playing to look even in single ball. DMD animations are really only good for spectators in my opinion.
I really think this is a viable strategy since the magneto MB is so easy to start. It's very similar to my AFM strategy of destroying ships 3-end during MB to avoid the center drains from shooting the ship.

How's your success rate with hellfire and brotherhood? I just foresee a roadblock with these two modes which is why I suggested the whole memory progression in the first place. I don't know why adding progression is such an issue. Most great pins do not require completing ALL modes to advance in a game.

#5365 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

How's your success rate with hellfire and brotherhood? I just foresee a roadblock with these two modes which is why I suggested the whole memory progression in the first place. I don't know why adding progression is such an issue. Most great pins do not require completing ALL modes to advance in a game.

Actually, those modes will be difficult. I have only started them a couple times and the balls drained massively fast. I have a problem with any game that requires completing a multiball mode, generally. But as long as the whole game isnt stalled out waiting on those modes to complete and you can still do other things, I dont see a problem with them being difficult. I feel I'm capable of beating all my games except LoTR if i have a good enough game. I have no problem owning a game that's considerably harder. Ironman may be the 2nd hardest since everything has to be done on one ball. Avatar is similar in that regard also.

#5366 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Ironman may be the 2nd hardest since everything has to be done on one ball. Avatar is similar in that regard also.

Incorrect. If you want to only play (not complete) the modes in IM/Avatar to get to wizard mode, you have to do it in one ball...however if you complete a mode (making the insert solid), it will carry over to the next ball and you won't have to play that mode again for wizard. Avatar is considerably easier than IM to complete modes/reach wizard, IMO.

#5367 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Incorrect. If you want to only play (not complete) the modes in IM/Avatar to get to wizard mode, you have to do it in one ball...however if you complete a mode (making the insert solid), it will carry over to the next ball and you won't have to play that mode again for wizard. Avatar is considerably easier than IM to complete modes/reach wizard, IMO.

Ok so I guess in ironman you only hit the mini wizard "do or die" by starting each mode in one ball. And each mode you complete survives the ball drain.

#5368 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Ok so I guess in ironman you only hit the mini wizard "do or die" by starting each mode in one ball. And each mode you complete survives the ball drain.

Yeah, it's really hard on IM to complete some of those modes in one ball. I could complete the Multiballs...but for IM you have to start 3 IM Fast Scorings in one ball, and honestly I have no idea how to complete Drones...never did it once lol

#5369 11 years ago

Is the update here yet?

#5370 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah, it's really hard on IM to complete some of those modes in one ball. I could complete the Multiballs...but for IM you have to start 3 IM Fast Scorings in one ball, and honestly I have no idea how to complete Drones...never did it once lol

I did it with the glass off to try to figure it out, and while I managed to do it, I have no idea exactly what I did. I *think* you need to complete them four times with one ball to make it flash. Honestly, while I love IM and it is still easily my favorite game ever made, I really don't understand how the Do or Die Multiball qualification makes any sense.

I'll never get there, so it doesn't bother me though.

#5371 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Is the update here yet?

I'm running 4.2 ...get with the times, man!

#5372 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm running 4.2 ...get with the times, man!

ROFL

#5373 11 years ago

Damn! 73 new posts today, I clicked in here hoping that meant there'd been an update...

#5374 11 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

Damn! 73 new posts today, I clicked in here hoping that meant there'd been an update...

I just loaded up 6.03!!!! They're on a f*cking roll! GO STERN! The new Prof X Wheelchair Multiball is UNREAL!!!!

#5375 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I just loaded up 6.03!!!! They're on a f*cking roll! GO STERN! The new Prof X Wheelchair Multiball is UNREAL!!!!

Wait until you see that they're sending out a power pack with an extra magnet to install in magneto's hand. The one on the playfield will launch a ball straight up to it in order to lock it in his hand.

#5376 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Wait until you see that they're sending out a power pack with an extra magnet to install in magneto's hand. The one on the playfield will launch a ball straight up to it in order to lock it in his hand.

And when it misses it causes this really cool effect with the glass. It's truly a game changer and it's one of the best interactive toys ever in a pinball machine.

#5377 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

They're on a f*cking roll! GO STERN!

Well, now my boss knows I'm just goofing off on the net cuz I cannot stop laughing!

#5378 11 years ago

I liked the toy until I found that they had to cut off his fingers to make it fit power pack- take about a design flaw...

#5379 11 years ago

damn it for a second i thought the code was out. you jack wagons cut that out!

#5380 11 years ago

I thought for sure the update was coming. Man this is taking a while!

#5381 11 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

You would think since they were letting distributors (or at least a distributor) play on it last week it would be a Monday post.

#5382 11 years ago

Is this a pinball machine or a woman?!! OOOOOOoooooooohhhhhh!!!!!!

#5383 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

but for IM you have to start 3 IM Fast Scorings in one ball, and honestly I have no idea how to complete Drones

I thought it was just complete the 3rd Iron Man award, not just in one ball.

Drones is not complete until after you've finished the 3rd set. Pretty sure that that one doesn't have to be all one ball either.

#5384 11 years ago

Anyone want to guess the date the update will come out on? I say this Wednesday is the magical day.

#5385 11 years ago

(Rating of X-men)
(Fearless_Leader rated this game on August 05, 2012.)
“Had a chance to play this today for the first time. 3 games played and I think it was the biggest letdown since I played Rolling Stones. How some of you can rate this as the best pinball of all time when it's been out for less than a month is bewildering. I can understand anticipation, but this is merely an average game with a cool idea for a theme.

This really annoys me, how can you review a game here with only 3 games played??? Do most people rate games after playing it only a few times? Or am I one of the only ones who plays a table at least 30 times before reviewing it? Im just saying. 3 games isn't enough time on a table IMO to give it a fair rating.

#5386 11 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Anyone want to guess the date the update will come out on? I say this Wednesday is the magical day.

Wednesday of what year?

#5387 11 years ago

What will come first WOZ machine or X-men update!

#5388 11 years ago

I hope they just take out scoring completely to F with all of ya

#5389 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I hope they just take out scoring completely to F with all of ya

LOL...imagine if they make it like NBA Fastbreak.

#5390 11 years ago

Remove all timers on all modes.

"Time this out, chumps."

#5391 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The drones and im targets have to be completed three times but not on one ball. That's only for the do or die multi ball wizard mode. Completing all five characters on one ball gets you do or die single ball wizard. Completing the iron man chest symbols over your game gets you to jericho wizard mode. Only one of the three wizard modes is actually mandated to one ball.

#5392 11 years ago

We should have a "Days _#___ without an Update" post.

#5393 11 years ago

Glad we still haven't received ours down here, by the time we get them the update might be out

#5394 11 years ago

What will come first WOZ machine or X-men update!

gotta go with Woz at this point.

#5395 11 years ago
Quoted from sleazius:

Glad we still haven't received ours down here, by the time we get them the update might be out

should have them soon .. prob a couple of days for where you are if you are going through and

#5396 11 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

I sure hope it's Wednesday, because that's the day my replacement Wolverine shows up (first one was damaged in shipping for those of you that missed that in this 100 page plus thread). It would be nice to unpack that baby load it with new software and have my first impressions be with the new code.
Wednesday, Wednesday, Wednesday!!!

Kevin

#5397 11 years ago
Quoted from sleazius:

Key on the word might

#5398 11 years ago

3 weeks ago someone "in the know" said the code update was coming next week. The following week someone "in the know" said it was coming next week. Last week someone "in the know" said its coming out this week. So in my effort of reverse psychology I will state that I don't know jack and the code has now been pushed out to mid-late next week. Sorry for the bad news.

#5400 11 years ago

I am hoping by Thursday. I start vacation on Friday and a couple of weeks of playing X-men with updated code would be awesome. Maybe I will actually start to get good at it

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fontana, CA
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 12,543 posts in this topic. You are on page 108 of 251.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men/page/108 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.