(Topic ID: 16030)

X-Men - Official Club Thread All Welcome!

By pmWolf

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 days ago by KING-HENRY
  • Topic is favorited by 116 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2289 (resized).jpeg
20231210_114221 (resized).jpg
20231210_114216 (resized).jpg
20231210_114212 (resized).jpg
20231210_114207 (resized).jpg
20231210_114159 (resized).jpg
20231015_221002 (resized).jpg
20221212_175404 (resized).jpg
20231202_132135 (resized).jpg
IMG_9543 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9544 (resized).jpeg
gg (resized).JPG
xmen (resized).PNG
MB (resized).PNG
20230806_161030 (resized).jpg
IMG_2846 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 12,543 posts in this topic. You are on page 101 of 251.
#5001 11 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

Thats how i took what he was saying as well... for a game with no stacking possibilities...
But for a stacking ruleset it would be kinda foolish..

Exactly Gerry.

And you will see my subsequent post when I talk about MB where you are still working towards the main wizard mode while also working towards the mini wizard mode.

#5002 11 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

The least bang for the buck was for the yellow dome (warm white), the flashers under the apron (2 warm white)

You need to put two blue flashers under the apron. Made a big difference.

Why would you put warm white under the apron when the cover is blue?

#5003 11 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Plus the ultimate goal of pinball isn't even getting to the wizard mode, it's points.

I don't necessarily agree with this if you are playing at home by yourself.

My *only* goal on some pins after owning them for awhile is to get to the Wizard mode, and I couldn't care less about points.

Example: Vacation Jackpot on WH20, RTU on AFM, KotR on MM, Portal on Tron, SH on SM, etc. Getting to a difficult to obtain wizard mode can be more rewarding than getting a high score.

#5004 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Leveling this game is like any other. I think it was his floor.

Yes, probably is my floor. Looked at it this morning I think by the time I was done, there was not much weight on the left front leg.. so i extended the leg level to have a bit more pressure to keep the cabinet more square, without unleveling it.

Also have had a blue GI pop out like RobT described.Hoping those settle in as I could see that being annoying.

Question: At the point of magneto multiball start.. is there a knocking sound? It sure sounds like a solenoid/mechanical action sound.. knock knock knock then ball release. That's the only time I hear it though, not during spinning disk and not as it's locking balls. ?

#5005 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You need to put two blue flashers under the apron. Made a big difference.
Why would you put warm white under the apron when the cover is blue?

Because the window they shine through on the Wolverine is Yellow. (Blue Apron, Yellow Windows)

#5006 11 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

put a few games on the new machine tonight
I was able to hit beast a few times but had trouble hitting the bumper with the upper flipper
every time the popbumpers go off the left slingshot fires. I guess maybe that means the switch is too tight?

Yeah, that can happen sometimes...the switch blades are too close and being sensitive...try adjusting the rubber a bit...you can kind of adjust it around the posts so it has more slack in front, tighter in back...that could solve it without having to mess with the switch.

#5007 11 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Because the window they shine through on the Wolverine is Yellow. (Blue Apron, Yellow Windows)

Doh!

#5008 11 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Are you guys STILL arguing about holding a ball?
Just got done playing about 30 games or so. Luckily and so far the only issue I have is the Phoenix switch won't always register, haven't messed with it yet.

I noticed that too...I think it's a software thing, though...kind of like TFLE's "right orbit doesn't count bug". I'm going to wait for the update before investigating it too much.

#5009 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah, that can happen sometimes...the switch blades are too close and being sensitive...try adjusting the rubber a bit...you can kind of adjust it around the posts so it has more slack in front, tighter in back...that could solve it without having to mess with the switch.

Everyone should have one of these:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1518

#5010 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Vacation Jackpot on WH20,

To me the ultimate thing to aim for on WH2O is getting 5x playfield lit while as far up Wet Willies as possible and then starting multiball and getting all 3 balls straight into Insanity Falls... getting VJ is not as exciting/rewarding as this... and that's because I play WH2O for points... If you only tried to go for the VJ on this game you're missing out on the major part of the strategy and excitement... and the points...!!

#5011 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Thanks - I will give that a try.

#5012 11 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I don't want X-Men to turn into one of those games.

That would be impossible with XM because you HAVE to complete each mode to get to the main wizard, even IF they add a mini-wiz which is after you merely start each mode (as SKB suggested 2 pages back referring to XM), they won't take away the need to complete each mode to get to the main wizard and therefore take away the main wizard mode too... that would be a code downrate... so it won't happen... you can rest easy on that one... Would be good if they add a mini-wizard on XM after you just start each mode though...

This is the cue for Dug to say he wouldn't like if there was no mode stacking it because it would encourage him to time modes out... Go on Dug, say it... you know you want to!

#5013 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

That would be impossible with XM because you HAVE to complete each mode to get to the main wizard, even IF they add a mini-wiz which is after you merely start each mode, they won't take away the need to complete each mode to get to the main wizard... so it won't happen... you can rest easy on that one... Would be good if they add a mini-wizard mode after you just start each mode though...
This is the cue for Dug to say he wouldn't like it because it would encourage him to time modes out

This
+1

#5014 11 years ago

OK, here's a question for you seasoned XM players... I've heard that you have to start the game by starting a multiball, and this then sets the game up... Does this mean that if you achieve all the objectives in this opening MB, then the game from then on is more rewarding than if you only achieved a couple of objectives... is that how it is? If so, is there any way to 'claw back' some of the game you 'lost out on' in that opening MB if you did bad by somehow redeeming yourself later in the game, or is the game kind of permanently dampened by the results of that opening MB... like a dark cloud hanging over the player for the rest of the game? Or have I totally mis-understood the whole concept of this opening MB??

#5015 11 years ago

We're almost at 5000!

#5016 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Agreed. We need to step back for a minute and remember these guys at stern are humans too. I was looking forward to a code update this week, so I'm a little bummed to hear GAPs news. But on the lighter side it was nice to hear that stern reads and follows these types of threads and have as much (if not more) passion for the game as we do.
They're working diligently and can only get so much done in a working day.
Btw, this game is awesome...that is all.

HA. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

There's no excuse. NONE. As to why they could not have addressed the scoring issue immediately.

I am on the fence with this whole fiasco as to whether or not I will ever buy a NIB LE from Stern Again (well current thought is only if its Steve Ritchie and Lyman as they seem to care about us). QC is crap, software is a joke and if they would value us as customers they would have done whatever it takes to get the scoring bug fixed ASAP.

#5018 11 years ago

Update code will be released next week.

Yep heard that last week as well. The optimist says this will eventually come true.

See post 10,000 for update code will be next week

#5020 11 years ago

AWWWWWWWW YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

(Actually, I think it is fitting that the 5000th post was about software update, lol)

#5021 11 years ago

Damnit! Hank527 beat me to it.

#5022 11 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

HA. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
There's no excuse. NONE. As to why they could not have addressed the scoring issue immediately.
I am on the fence with this whole fiasco as to whether or not I will ever buy a NIB LE from Stern Again (well current thought is only if its Steve Ritchie and Lyman as they seem to care about us). QC is crap, software is a joke and if they would value us as customers they would have done whatever it takes to get the scoring bug fixed ASAP.

I'm really unhappy a very fast scoring only fix wasn't sent out as well. But I think the rest of this is way harsh. The SW is pretty good other than the horrible scoring problem. All the nib sterns I've ever bought have been perfect so I'm happy with the QC. And after email chatting with John Borg, I absolutely disagree that Lyman and Steve are the only ones that care. I think John is planning to own an xmen himself personally do he will care about the game.

#5023 11 years ago

I do not know Jon so I cannot comment on him. I certainly respect him and like many of his games.

Steve on the other hand I have talked to and when this guy speaks you believe him. He's just got a passion for us as players and fights hard to make things right. I do not think he would be on vacation while his game was having problems.

Jon going on vacation this week does not sit well with me as his game is on the line. I also would think this is the reason we are not getting an update this week.

I've gotten 3 Stern NIB and all had QC issues. So I'm at 100%

#5024 11 years ago

OK, here's a question for you seasoned XM players... I've heard that you have to start the game by starting a multiball, and this then sets the game up... Does this mean that if you achieve all the objectives in this opening MB, then the game from then on is more rewarding than if you only achieved a couple of objectives... is that how it is? If so, is there any way to 'claw back' some of the game you 'lost out on' in that opening MB if you did bad by somehow redeeming yourself later in the game, or is the game kind of permanently dampened by the results of that opening MB... like a dark cloud hanging over the player for the rest of the game? Or have I totally mis-understood the whole concept of this opening MB??

The shot objectives for the first mb are completely different from the rest of the game. Think of it this way, every time you start a hero mode, that hero shot is 'qualified' as a jackpot shot during magneto mb. If you don't start any modes, the only shot that gives a jp during mb is magneto.

With that in mind, the very first magneto mb jackpot hero 'qualification' shots are made before starting mmb by hitting that hero only once. Hitting that hero once does not start a mode, it merely qualifies him for a jp shot during the first mmb. There is no benefit or progression to hitting a hero multiple times prior to the first mmb. And, there is no penalty for not hitting a hero before the first mmb. It's just a starting point for JPs and for scoring purposes it's best to hit all heros then start mmb as qualifying heros for JPs later on in the game becomes harder especially since there's no stacking.

Hope that made sense

#5025 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I think John is planning to own an xmen

He doesn't get a free one from Stern?

I would have thought the project team would have each gotten a machine of their own (at least the named ones). Pretty lame if they don't.

#5026 11 years ago

To add on to my post; once the first mmb has ended all lit 'qualified' heros reset and the only way to re-qualify them is to start their mode.

The rules are actually very cool in this early code state. The only stacking that I believe is needed is 1 hero mode w 1 villain mode, and villain modes being eligible from the start of the game - they only become lit after the first mmb as the code stands now.

#5027 11 years ago

I thought I'd plonk my question at the top of this page so it's more likely to get answered:

OK, here's a question for you seasoned XM players... I've heard that you have to start the game by starting a multiball, and this then 'sets the game up'... Does this mean that if you achieve all the objectives in this opening MB, then the game from then on is more rewarding than if you only achieved a couple of objectives in that opening MB? If so, is there any way to 'claw back' some of the game you 'lost out on' in that opening MB if you did bad by somehow redeeming yourself later in the game, or is the game kind of permanently dampened by the results of that opening MB... like a dark cloud hanging over the player for the rest of the game? Or have I totally mis-understood the whole concept of this opening MB??

Edit: Holy cow, so many posts while I posted this... sorry for un-necessary re-post!!!

#5028 11 years ago

Why do you keep talking about "opening Monster Bash"?

#5029 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

With that in mind, the very first magneto mb jackpot hero 'qualification' shots are made before starting mmb by hitting that hero only once. Hitting that hero once does not start a mode, it merely qualifies him for a jp shot during the first mmb. There is no benefit or progression to hitting a hero multiple times prior to the first mmb. And, there is no penalty for not hitting a hero before the first mmb. It's just a starting point for JPs and for scoring purposes it's best to hit all heros then start mmb as qualifying heros for JPs later on in the game becomes harder especially since there's no stacking.

Hope that made sense []

I had to read it a couple of times, but I think it eventually made sense!! So, the strategy for opening a game is:

1) Shoot as many different hero shots as possible.
2) Start MMB (and because of '1' get lots of JPs).
3) Progress with rest of game easier as a result of '1' because lighting hero modes for JPs are harder later.

Is that a fair summary of the opening for this game? I'm a bit fuzzy on point 3 after reading your addendum

#5030 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

To add on to my post; once the first mmb has ended all lit 'qualified' heros reset and the only way to re-qualify them is to start their mode.
The rules are actually very cool in this early code state. The only stacking that I believe is needed is 1 hero mode w 1 villain mode, and villain modes being eligible from the start of the game - they only become lit after the first mmb as the code stands now.

I could hang with that. That would be perfect, really.

#5031 11 years ago

I will say this

I think X-men has the best skill shot in history. I liked Tron's skill shot with the right ramp before the latest software, but on X-men the skill shots are truly that - skill! Not just getting it through the proper lane. You have to just barely get that shot up there and then nail a skill shot.

I think there are 2. The ramp for 250K or rogue for 350K - Love it. Seems to be the only actual scoring that is worth anything besides gambit hurry up.

#5032 11 years ago

Correct me if I am wrong, aren't the lit xmen the only ones which will damage Magneto during the MB?

#5033 11 years ago

Which parts of this game are "revolutionary" and "very special"? Am I missing something? There was all this talk about new, crazy features, but I just don't see it. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the game is bad, in fact I like it, but certainly not revolutionary. Especially considering the hype that was behind this.

I'm starting to get the picture that when people make claims about game prior to them coming out (or about updates) to just take it all with a grain of salt.

Disclaimer - No offense meant to anyone, just curious if I am overlooking something

#5034 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinballrus:

Which parts of this game are "revolutionary" and "very special"?

You got the wrong game BUB that was AC/DC

#5035 11 years ago

I had to read it a couple of times, but I think it eventually made sense!! So, the strategy for opening a game is:
1) Shoot as many different hero shots as possible.
2) Start MMB (and because of '1' get lots of JPs).
3) Progress with rest of game easier as a result of '1' because lighting hero modes for JPs are harder later.
Is that a fair summary of the opening for this game? I'm a bit fuzzy on point 3 after reading your addendum

Regarding 3. In no way shape or form does the first mmb or hero qualification effect the game once that first mmb is over; it's as if the game truly starts after the first mmb which has been a concern for a lot of players so far. Many wanted it eliminated from the game, but I like it - IF I could start doing villain modes where in the current code the only way to start a villain mode is also after the first mmb.

#5036 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Lol. You said BUB

#5037 11 years ago

I'm typing on my iPhone so a lot of what I say may not make sense or is rambling.

Bottom line; all heros and magneto reset once the first magneto mb is over. And there's no way to do hero or villain modes til that first mmb is over.

#5038 11 years ago

AC/DC LE makes other games look dated. I will go as far as to say it is the best lit pinball machine I have ever seen.

I think the color changing lights are what is revolutionary

#5039 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinballrus:

Which parts of this game are "revolutionary" and "very special"? Am I missing something? There was all this talk about new, crazy features, but I just don't see it. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the game is bad, in fact I like it, but certainly not revolutionary. Especially considering the hype that was behind this.
I'm starting to get the picture that when people make claims about game prior to them coming out (or about updates) to just take it all with a grain of salt.
Disclaimer - No offense meant to anyone, just curious if I am overlooking something

Who said that? I don't remember anyone saying that. Hmmm.

X-Men isn't revolutionary, but it's a very good "kitchen sink". You've got speed/flow, combos, tons of modes, a ton of features we've seen in other games (magnets, spinners, VUK-to-ramp, captive lock, moving ramp, pop up "trolls") but implemented well. Top that off w/ a fantastic art package...it's just a solid, solid game.

#5040 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Who said that? I don't remember anyone saying that. Hmmm.
X-Men isn't revolutionary, but it's a very good "kitchen sink". You've got speed/flow, combos, tons of modes, a ton of features we've seen in other games (magnets, spinners, VUK-to-ramp, captive lock, moving ramp, pop up "trolls") but implemented well. Top that off w/ a fantastic art package...it's just a solid, solid game.

Fair enough - I could be mistaken about what I was remembering -not really worth going back through 5K posts

#5041 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

for scoring purposes it's best to hit all heros then start mmb as qualifying heros for JPs later on in the game becomes harder especially since there's no stacking.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

In no way shape or form does the first mmb or hero qualification effect the game once that first mmb is over

I'm not trying to make you look in any way contradictory, I appreciate all your experience on this game, and maybe I'm reading one of the above two statements wrong... probably am! But at fisrt glance they do seem to contradict each other... You seemed more certain in the 2nd statement though, so I'm going for this one...

The reason I'm interested in this, by the way, is that if the rest of the game was affected in any way by this 'opening scene' then there could (and probably would) be a tendency for home use owners to re-start a game if they did very badly at this opening stage if it did affect the rest of the game... and that would be bad... seeing at it looks like it doesn't though, then it's good!

#5042 11 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

He doesn't get a free one from Stern?
I would have thought the project team would have each gotten a machine of their own (at least the named ones). Pretty lame if they don't.

Actually, they DO NOT get a game. Not even close actually.

They get an employee discount that can only be used like twice per year!

(I guess to avoid them buying / re-selling games at a markup??)

Me personally?? I would give a test game to every designer / programmer so they could have it at home and continually tweak it to the fullest / best experience it can be.

*What a novel concept!

#5043 11 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Me personally?? I would give a test game to every designer / programmer so they could have it at home and continually tweak it to the fullest / best experience it can be.

Seems so obvious. You could even not really give it to them so they don't have to count it as income, just loan it to them indefinitely.

#5044 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

I thought it was WoZ

#5045 11 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Correct me if I am wrong, aren't the lit xmen the only ones which will damage Magneto during the MB?

How do you defeat Magneto? Does his power go down if you hit a lighted hero (plus get the jackpot)?

#5046 11 years ago

Was too busy playing to look at the DMD. All I know is somehow I win and the mode is over.

#5047 11 years ago

My friend and his 17 year old son came by yesterday to check out the game. His son of course is into video games but likes my TRON. He looked at the game and said cool X-Men. The proceeded to say "it looks old school based on the comics not the movie, i like that alot". We he came over the house they were coming back from an event and he told his dad he didn't wan to stay long. I played a few games with him and then went inside the house with his dad (game is in the garage). He must of been in there for over an hour came inside and asked his dad if they are staying longer - which his dad said yes and he said "cool - i am going back out to play more X-men".

Said he loved the game - lot of great things to do and more stuff than TRON. Of course he didn't care about rules or scoring. Just that the game was fun.

#5048 11 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Surely they at least give them a game to test/play at home for the sake of knowing how to improve it... on a temporary basis as rommy said... 'till the code is polished... then Stern can sell the game to this 'tester' at a reduced (used) price at that point... the tester can than accept of decline this offer, and if they decline, Stern then sells this game as 'used for testing' on ebay or something... this has to make sound business sense to Stern to get the game codes polished better and out of the door to make customers happier so they sell more games... surely they do this...??

#5049 11 years ago

They get notta. Lyman told me a story about how he got his AFM and MM for a buck a pop at Williams. They get games at cost at Stern. Which is still hefty. Figure a Pro at cost is likely to be 2500-3000 no idea on LE cost. Not talking dealer cost either rather Gary's cost per unit.

#5050 11 years ago

Wow. You would think Stern would give the designer and lead programmer a lender unit until the next game came out. I would then think the game could come back to Stern at which point it could be set up in some fashion with other games for the general designers and staff to play.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

There are 12,543 posts in this topic. You are on page 101 of 251.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men/page/101 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.