(Topic ID: 28261)

Aren't the X-men cooler than The Avengers?

By Toasterdog

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by fuseholder
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Just curious why so many people are so excited for Avengers. Even when XM was getting released people were complaining it wasn't Avengers. Now maybe my comic book days were mostly in the 80's, but the X-men have always been cooler then the Avengers. Before the recent movies, I never thought too much of Captain America, Thor or the Hulk as superheros.

XM is obviously based on comic art and Avengers I can only imagine, will be based on the actual movie, another knock, in my book anyway. Just curious why there is so much love.

Prior to XM release, I talked to a distributor about pricing and his thoughts. He said XM will be great, but when an Avengers pin is announced, jump on it quick..don't hesitate, it will be huge.

#2 11 years ago

The Avengers movie, which was superior IMHO to any of the X-Men films, is what has people hot for the pin. It was built up for years with the other movies surrounding it (Thor, Cap, Iron Man) and it delivered. Sooooo...it's riding more pop culture momentum. Hence the interest.

#3 11 years ago

I have always liked both the x-men and the avengers since I read both of the comics as a kid.

#4 11 years ago

I agree. Xmen theme is way cooler than the avengers IMO. I didn't even see the avengers movie in the theater but got the 3d blu ray and pretty awesome if you ask me. Plus I hope they get hulk smashing Loki as the DMD video after completing his mode

#5 11 years ago

Not doubt, X-Men is cooler than Avengers, but Robert Downey Jr single-handedly took Avengers to the next level. Loki was a poor excuse for a bad guy and I hope they don't make hi the focus of anything on the pinball machine. I say, give him one shot and call it a day. They should make the pinball about the characters more so than, "Good vs. Evil".

#6 11 years ago

The darkknight nailed it. Comic XMen are cooler than comic avengers, but movie avengers blow away movie x-men.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Not doubt, X-Men is cooler than Avengers, but Robert Downey Jr single-handedly took Avengers to the next level.

Totally agree with the RD Jr. statement. He made Iron Man cooler than he already was.

BTW My Favs as a kid were Iron Man, The X-men and Daredevil

#8 11 years ago

they should totally use thanos as the bad guy for an avengers table, loki is a pretty weak bad guy. i mean without the "tessaract" (ummmm cosmic cube..) he wouldn't have even been threatening to anyone.

the way x-men was formated with one physical shot for magneto and villian modes being played using shots to each hero is excellent. a little less good vs evil feel to it. darkknight hit the nail on the head, movie(s) x-men have been pretty weak (minus ian mckellen magneto...and fassbender magneto too) while movie avengers have been really excellent (rdj obviously the best)

fyi my favorites are fantastic four, cable and iron man (not during marvel's civil war tho!)

#9 11 years ago

Avengers have HULK, is rest my case

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

The darkknight nailed it. Comic XMen are cooler than comic avengers, but movie avengers blow away movie x-men.

This is from the Bible.

I was a Gotham and Dark Horse kid growing up. From someone on the outside looking in basically uninitiated, I liked Avengers much better than X-Men (but I DID absolutely love the extended cut of Wolverine tacking that p.o.s. Fed to the refrigerator!) even though Cap and Hulk always seemed really hokey to me.

I bought one issue of Ironman in highschool. He had his robot armor suit folded up in a briefcase like a pair of pajamas. I thought it was the dumbest god damned thing I'd ever read. Fast forward to now and I think the Ironman franchise (in which I consider Avengers) is the best in nerd movie history.

If I got to pick a free machine on theme alone it'd be Avengers.

#11 11 years ago

Thor is cooler than any of the Xmen.

#12 11 years ago

I'd rather BE a movie X-Man than a move Avenger. Avengers aren't as intelligent as X-Men (excluding Wolverine of course). I like smarts over brawn.

#13 11 years ago

Hulk actually had a mainstream TV show. I did not even know what the XMEN were until recently when I saw the movies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incredible_Hulk_%28TV_series%29

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Hulk actually had a mainstream TV show. I did not even know what the XMEN were until recently when I saw the movies.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incredible_Hulk_%28TV_series%29

Oh my God. Seriously? I must be so old.

#15 11 years ago

nothing cool about comics if you're an adult. unless you're a hot chick dressed up in a superhero costume. i can usually get passed the theme if the gameplay is good. sick of comic book themes.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from navajas:

Oh my God. Seriously? I must be so old.

For XMEN, I think it comes down to whether you read the comics or not. I watched cartoons until I was about 12 or 13 but was never that interested in reading comics. The Hulk TV series was during my 9-14 age range so I enjoyed that. I also watched plenty of re-runs of the old Batman and Robin TV series. There was no XMEN mainstream TV content that I am aware of from that time period.

When I was a teenager the only thing I wanted to read was sports stories or music news.

#17 11 years ago

I think the X-Men as characters and a group dynamic are cooler than The Avengers ...buuuut, Ironman and The Hulk are awesome and it was great to have them in the same movie.

The first two X-Men movies still hold up. Ian McKellen as Magneto & Patrick Stewart as Prof. X was genius casting. Avengers wins on pure spectacle ...but I think I still like X-Men 1 & 2 better overall.

#18 11 years ago

Never been a comic book guy, but avengers just seems liek a collection of non interesting characters. Maybe that the appeal though.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Never been a comic book guy, but avengers just seems liek a collection of non interesting characters. Maybe that the appeal though.

Yeah, a man in a metal supersuit, a giant green monster, a god, a genetically enhanced supersoldier, and a couple of specialized assassins ....omg, they're so boring

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

....omg, they're so boring

Yeah Bow man & Gun girl don;t really excite me much.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah Bow man & Gun girl don;t really excite me much.

That's what I thought, too...but the way they do shit in the movie is pretty incredible! Bow Man (lol) can shoot an computer virus arrow right into a USB slot from a mile away!!!

#22 11 years ago

Depends what Nerd you talk too.

#23 11 years ago

Avengers for me. X-men in comics didn't do well until the reboot of GS X-men 1, then they were the it group during the 80's and 90's. The X-men carried Marvel then. I would say the Avengers the last 6-7 years have been the torch bearer for Marvel. (All main mega events go through that group now.)

Now the Avengers have had a resurgence in both comics and the film medium. Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor were very good movies. Having their own movies develop the characters made it easy to tell a story without having to spend a lot of time on a back story.

One thing about the Avengers is the rotating membership. You can have any character from the Marvel universe join, even one you would not associate with the original team. Mutants, FF members, Gods, etc..., can join. Spider-man and Wolverine are current members and you wouldn't think of them as true Avengers.

#24 11 years ago

Foe those of us who read comics , x-men as a theme way better than avengers. But seems more recently a resurgence of avengers, and hopefully Hulk a main feature of a pinball machine spells success. Love my x-men machine , and will not buy an avengers sight un seen. The comic art was the over-whelming determining factor for my only stern machine.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

I have always liked both the x-men and the avengers since I saw both of the movies as an adult.

#26 11 years ago

X-Men in my view are the coolest super hero team of all time. It is only the Avengers movie that is generating the big buzz for the pin. X-Men have always been greater than Avengers in my view.

#27 11 years ago

Ive been into comics a bit, not so much the past 2years, Avengers rule, Avengers are the top selling comics out there, check the sales list on the preorder form at your local comic shop.

#28 11 years ago

Both crapthemes, as any other superherotheme.

#29 11 years ago

I had no idea who the Avengers were until the movie. That being said, it was an awesome movie. Great action, plot, and humor.

#30 11 years ago

Was I the only one bored during the Avengers? I do like the X-men movies....

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from marksf123:

Was I the only one bored during the Avengers? I do like the X-men movies....

+1
    I even caught this in IMAX and thought it was boring as well.
    The new batman was better IMO.

#32 11 years ago

I like all superheros, it is hard for me to pick to a fav.
    X-men movies were pretty ordinary except for first class, that was really good.
    Avengers the movie was great and Nolans batman films were excellent too.
    Just keep making superhero pins and I will be happy!

#33 11 years ago

NY2 Colorado

Yeah that too. comics as a kid and movies as an adult.

I see what you did there. I had to actually go back up to my original post and double check that I said what I thought I had said.

#34 11 years ago

XM are cooler in my opinion.

HulK is awesome as is IM.

But Thor and Captain America are meh.............

#35 11 years ago

I just watched Thor with my kids. Damn entertaining and Natalie Portman to boot! What's not to like?

#36 11 years ago

Thought Thor was interminably boring (but seen as a necessary prologue to Avengers, tolerable).
    Never saw any past the first Hulk (which was awful).
    Thought all Ironman movies were awesome.
    Thought X-Men 1 & 2 were really fun.
    Thought Dark Knight was by far a better film of any of them, but;
    Thought Avengers was a heaping pile of fun.

Want to blow a couple hours with friends drinking, cheering and having fun? Avengers.
    Want to watch an art film with super heroes, feeling gut kicked and depressed? Dark Knight.

They both have their place.

#37 11 years ago

Xmen themewise is better but the Xmen pin sucked. I bought one and sold it. The game was awesome looking but the software blew. If Avengers is another typical fan layout Stern I wont be interested in it either.

#38 11 years ago

I was VERY impressed with the Avengers:Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon. My daughter has always watched Xmen, Spiderman etc since she was 3 and once she started the Avengers cartoon I was blown away. Awesome build up, interweaving storylines, fantastic conclusion at the end of the first season. They really used every episode to build up to the final and it was great. Second season started a bit slower, but had almost as good of a final.

Woverine and the Xmen cartoon was really good in the same sense as well. Great build up and awesome story throughout.

I loved the 80-90s cartoons, but they've really kicked it into top gear with both frachises and did it by using the comics/lore, and did a great job with them.

I always liked Xmen better, probably still do like the characters better, but both themes at this point for me are even.

Pinball wise who knows about Avengers, but I'm sure it will be good and has the "benifit" of clear direction in that it has to follow the movie events.

Xmen was a blank slate, with all new programmers that obviously hadn't done it before. I see no reason why they can't/won't bring it all together for a complete package. It will just take awhile.
    No reason to hang the programmers yet, when they are done it will be time to whine and unload machines. We really need more than two programmers people get excited about or the hobby is in trouble anyways. Variety is good....

#39 11 years ago

I like both equally. I thought the first 2 xmen movies were fantastic. Avengers was great too. Same with both ironman movies. I wouldn't put any above the rest.

#40 11 years ago

Nolan knocked it out of the park with the Batman films.

BDK > Xmen & Avengers.

#41 11 years ago

my opinion is not based on movies but i was an avid avengers fan in the comics back in the 70s . thor , iron man , scarlet witch , the vision , captain america , ant man . was the lineup that was the most popular

#42 11 years ago

Change this poll to be more specific to pinball:

Which camp has the best T&A?

That's the bottom line.

#43 11 years ago

No, never. Avengers will always be the cool!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-vs-avengers-as-a-theme and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.