Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by TigerLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

I have basically decided to pull the trigger on an X-men. Seems like an awesome game; depth, speed, theme. I just can decide on a pro vs LE. I can still get in for pre-order pricing on an LE, but it seems like quite a big price jump.

Have watched the videos for both and it seems like a blast to play.

Here are my thoughts so far.

First off, the additions seem nice, but overpriced.

I like the spinning disc and think it will add to randomness, but it seems from the videos that it is subtle. So if I didn't have it, it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Ice ramp seems like it gets in the way from a playfield view. Is it distracting? Necessary? Sure would help to make iceman shots in succession, but also keeps you from getting inlane lights to advance to villains. Maybe just another thing to break down.

Nightcrawlers. I initially was most excited about these. Then I worried they may get in the way. The pro has lights and will have a NC mode, so that's nice. It'd be more fun to bash them. Seems like they wont get in the way as they are rarely activated! So would it be that great of a loss.

The lighting on the LE looks great. I can add LED's to a pro, but the color changing playfield during modes looks awesome.

Some of the QC issues do concern me (i.e. sound to backbox speakers, Wolverine hits not registering, 3rd flipper issues). If I get a pro, it would give stern a chance to fix some of these issues.If I get a pro, its another month wait, but I can get a Magneto right away. But it would be from the first batch and could have more QC issues.

The last thing comes back to the cost. I have heard from people who seem to be in the know that Avengers is up next. That would be a must purchase for me, and most likely an LE version. So cost is a consideration, as it would be tough to get both LEs back to back. Should I save the $ and use it on an Avengers LE, and be happy with a pro? I am the type of person that tries to always get the best stuff or version so as to not have regret later. And LE's may hold their value better.

I feel like I am trying to talk myself into an LE.

What to do? Any thoughts...?

#2 11 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

I am the type of person that tries to always get the best stuff or version so as to not have regret later

Sounds like you have your answer right here. If you get Xmen go LE.

#3 11 years ago

le for sure. better resale value.

#4 11 years ago

I just seems like an overpay for what you get. For those who have it already, am I way off on this thought?

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

I just seems like an overpay for what you get. For those who have it already, am I way off on this thought?

Take a look at the underside of the playfield and you'll see all that will be missing on the pro (pop up assemblies, spinner motor, etc.). Plus the color changing LED's in the modes is just awesome and adds a lot to the feel of the game.. IMO, you could compare it to Tron LE vs Pro with the different lighting, but not as dramatic (obviously).

The Nightcrawlers will be better integrated into the next code, you can bet money on that.. so don't make a decision based on the fact that they are hardly used now.

#6 11 years ago

My initial thoughts where go with a pro, but now that it's been released I feel that the LE is the way to go. Just way to many differences between the two. You can't transform a pro into an LE like you could with TRON. Go with an LE. If I had the money I would. Magnito art package is my favorite of the two LE's, plus they made 50 less, so you really are in an exclusive club.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

You are paying extra for the limited factor as well. I'm no psychic, but believe these games will rise in value pretty fast. If you get a LE and decide it is not for you, you will certainly not lose money if you want to sell and downsize to a Pro. Go for it.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from ianwho:

Go with an LE. If I had the money I would. Magnito art package is my favorite of the two LE's, plus they made 50 less, so you really are in an exclusive club.

I could afford the difference, but it would be tough to get an Avengers LE next.

I think I like the Pro artwork best, but Magneto does look great too.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

Just an opinion: (Don't have either, haven't played either)

The Limited Edition seems incredible. This is the biggest disparity between a Pro and Limited Edition that Stern has done. Ice Ramp, Spinning Disc, Night Crawler pop ups- look like the best 3 best features on the machine. They should have at least kept one for the Pro model.

If you have the money, the LE seems the way to go. Probably hold its value longer, or even appreciate.

If you don't have the money, go with the Pro model. I'm sure you will be happy.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

Only time will tell if this is true.
Personally, if there are major alterations to a game in the LE version that directly impact how the game is played, I want the full version. In a case like Tron or SM where the pro isn't really all that different, I go pro. For something like ACDC or XM, it's LE all the way.

Also, if you think youre overpaying for an XM LE now, wait until the distributors are all sold out
This pin might be pushing $10K for a NIB this time next year.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

I could afford the difference, but it would be tough to get an Avengers LE next.
I think I like the Pro artwork best, but Magneto does look great too.

I would not be comfortable pre ordering Avengers with Gomez/Lonnie combo team after the TF disappointment. I'm just coming off of buying AC/DC premium followed directly by Xmen LE. I'm done for 2012. I do hope he takes all the criticism and comes out with a show stopper in Avengers for all you guys waiting for it. Get the Mags and hang a Pro translight on your wall.

#12 11 years ago

Damn all of you... I had convinced myself a pro would be fine... Now you have me questioning that. I guess I asked for it.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

Damn all of you... I convinced myself a pro would be fine... []

I personally think you made the right choice.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

Damn all of you... I convinced myself a pro would be fine...

I'm against the grain on this one, I'm just going to get a pro (as soon as people confirm the software is up to par with no transformer like issues). There's really nothing on the LE that's going to make it more fun over long haul...appreciate in value, possibly yes, but fun factor/gameplay I just don't see the LE advantage as being that much. I look at it this way, would MM be worse without trolls? Kind of a wash. Would NGG be that much worse without the spinning disc? Kind of a wash. Would AC/DC LE be that much worse without that extra divertor? Kind of a wash. It also depends on your financial situation as well...would you rather have Avengers, X-Men, and AC/DC pro versions, or just AC/DC LE and X-Men LE? Since they cost the same, I'd rather have the three games. But frankly I only really care about gameplay/rulesets and not about looks and toys really.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I'm against the grain on this one, I'm just going to get a pro (as soon as people confirm the software is up to par with no transformer like issues). There's really nothing on the LE that's going to make it more fun over long haul...appreciate in value, possibly yes, but fun factor/gameplay I just don't see the LE advantage as being that much. I look at it this way, would MM be worse without trolls? Kind of a wash. Would NGG be that much worse without the spinning disc? Kind of a wash. Would AC/DC LE be that much worse without that extra divertor? Kind of a wash. It also depends on your financial situation as well...would you rather have Avengers, X-Men, and AC/DC pro versions, or just AC/DC LE and X-Men LE? Since they cost the same, I'd rather have the three games. But frankly I only really care about gameplay/rulesets and not about looks and toys really.

I agree spot on if your a pinball player as in rules and so on go the pro if you like toys and bling spend the extra coin.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

You are paying extra for the limited factor as well. I'm no psychic, but believe these games will rise in value pretty fast. If you get a LE and decide it is not for you, you will certainly not lose money if you want to sell and downsize to a Pro. Go for it.

Exactly - you really can't look at it like "oh those extra parts don't add up to the LE price"....it is what it is. Only 550....I heard 125 of each went overseas - so, that makes only 300 units in the US. No one knows for sure, but the price is likely to creep up as they get scarce, a la Tron LE and AC/DC LEs (which was weird to me since the Premium is the same...but again - it is what it is). Keep in mind it's more than pin-heads who will buy these games. Many Tron LEs were snatched up by video game guys...I imagine lots of X-Men LEs will be snatched up by hardcore comic book fans. I don't think these types of collectors put games back out into the market as quickly as pinball collectors, who often mix things up to buy new games.

The Pro looks totally respectable - if the LE features aren't knockin' your socks off, go for Pro! However ....if you're kinda thinkin' the LE is the one for you - better grab one now than later, IMO...anyone who passed on Tron LE and wants one now can attest to that.

#17 11 years ago

Go for the LE without question. As others have said, this is the biggest difference in play quality between a pro and a LE ever for Stern . . . and you get the mirrored back glass which I am sure is going to look stunning in person. As others have said in this thread, the comic book collectors are going to zoom in on the LE's of this game (at least many of them) and they are trained to think in terms of exclusivity, which means they will all go for the LE's I would assume.

I think the LE's will go up in price, not down. If you are buying machines thinking of selling them later, the LE is the way to go. If you are buying machines to play, the LE's got many many more features and presumably will look better in person. However you look at it, the LE wins.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Go for the LE without question. As others have said, this is the biggest difference in play quality between a pro and a LE ever for Stern . . . and you get the mirrored back glass which I am sure is going to look stunning in person. As others have said in this thread, the comic book collectors are going to zoom in on the LE's of this game (at least many of them) and they are trained to think in terms of exclusivity, which means they will all go for the LE's I would assume.
I think the LE's will go up in price, not down. If you are buying machines thinking of selling them later, the LE is the way to go. If you are buying machines to play, the LE's got many many more features and presumably will look better in person. However you look at it, the LE wins.

Unless you're not made of money. . I'm sure that the LE will increase more than the pro, but it's still over 6k in one game...and it's hard for me to believe that xmen pro + something like shadow will be less fun than xmen Le.

#20 11 years ago

LE all the way especially if at pre picture prices!

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Unless you're not made of money. . I'm sure that the LE will increase more than the pro, but it's still over 6k in one game...and it's hard for me to believe that xmen pro + something like Shadow will be less fun than xmen Le.

That is a reasonable point. That does assume though that space is not an issue and a person can just as easily add two machines as one machine. If space is an issue the purchaser has to evaluate if the Shadow is a game he wants to have taking up a slot.

Different view points; I totally see what you are saying though and agree . . . if space wasn't an issue I'd probably pick two games too.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Agreed. If you have the cash now, get the LE without a second thought. The LE will only appreciate in value for the reasons mentioned. Namely, the big distinction in gameplay features between LE and Pro and the low production number of the LE (only around 300 in the US, 550 total). I'm sure a significant number of these will also be going to Marvel Comics fans and will disappear from the available pinball community supply. I'm not sure what the price will be for this game a year from now, but I'm fairly confident you won't be losing money on it if you decide to sell later.

#23 11 years ago

I look forward to playing PRO, LE not so much but they look neat.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

I look forward to playing PRO, LE not so much but they look neat.

So you look forward to playing the Pro and NOT the LE? Huh? What would be so bad about the LE that you wouldn't look forward to playing one?

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from Cobray:

So you look forward to playing the Pro and NOT the LE? Huh? What would be so bad about the LE that you wouldn't look forward to playing one?

I tend to agree, but my big question is how does the Magneto multiball start on the Pro? The things release and all four balls or whatever go STDM drain? LOL. Without the spinner it doesn't make sense to me.

Personally....I don't like the ice ramp. It's a novel idea, but uses are very limited and shooting one ramp over and over and over......isn't that what people were bitching about with Transformers? That's a throwaway mode if I've ever seen it. It wasn't fun on Avatar either.

Spinner - Nice, but really only shines with the magnetic lock multiball start due to the low speed they chose to use to calm it down a bit.

NC - Hard to get, hard to see....needs code update to be worth anything at all IMO. If it's just as rare as Daft Punk multiball, we shouldn't be paying huge bucks for it.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I tend to agree, but my big question is how does the Magneto multiball start on the Pro? The things release and all four balls or whatever go STDM drain? LOL. .

From some of the Comicon vids, it appears the balls are released from the lock and gather on the magnet. Then the magnet releases and pulses again to fling them.

#27 11 years ago

Go LE for sure. That spinning disk with the extra magnet in the middle of it is awesome when combined with the magnet in front of Wolverine. I've seen my ball do some totally insane things this weekend when both magnets came into play. I have not yet had the nighcrawlers pop up, but its gonna be fun when it happens.
I was afraid the ice ramp would get in the way too, but it really does'nt. You can see thru the holes in it pretty good, and once you learn the locations of your shots on the playfield it makes it even less of an issue.
And the quality of the playfield is the best they've ever had. Its buried in clearcoat and smooth as glass. Stern finally stepped up their game quality. The only issue mine has is the 3rd flipper not working separately from the lower flipper, but I assume that is just a leaf switch adjustment on the flipper button. If not, they will send me some parts on warranty.
I'd say go with the LE. I gambled on the TRON LE and it worked out, and I'd predict that this game will be just as popular. Its gonna be hard to lose money in the long run on this one if you can get the early pricing and save some money on shipping somehow.

#28 11 years ago

Is anyone getting a PRO? I have the option of maybe gettting a PRO or a lesser game. Not enough funds to get the LE. I heard they will be made in August after the LEs, is that the same thing you're hearing?

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Is anyone getting a PRO?

I am getting a pro for sure. Oh yes. It will be mine.... It will be mine!

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

From some of the Comicon vids, it appears the balls are released from the lock and gather on the magnet. Then the magnet releases and pulses again to fling them.

Cool. I'm okay with that.

#31 11 years ago

Considering a Pro. LE is just so much extra cash.

Spinner. Pro seemed to throw the ball around even faster than the spinner.

Moving ramp. Take it or leave it.

Night crawlers - cool, but not essential.

LED color change lighting - fantastic and prefer it by a mile to the Pro. Not sure how to get Pro looking similar?

Mirrored backglass - very nice - but Pro artwork very nice.

Reasons for both - still not sure.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

The only issue mine has is the 3rd flipper not working separately from the lower flipper, but I assume that is just a leaf switch adjustment on the flipper button. If not, they will send me some parts on warranty.

If the flipper works then there won't be parts needed. Lift the playfield and examine how the leaf switches work. The right side should have a double switch. Both blades are probably making contact at the exact same time. You can very slightly and very gently bend the second blade do it takes a bit more travel to trigger your second flipper. But be careful as its easy to go too far and hard to solve that without removing the whole switch and spending several minutes in bend adjustments.

#33 11 years ago

I appreciate everyone's input. I generally agree with Shapeshifter in that it is a lot more cash and I am not sure if I love all of the changes (ramp especially).

The looming anouncement of Avengers is clouding me...

#34 11 years ago

IMO if you can afford the LE the money difference will be there if you resell it unlike AcDc there is no premium edition so just that 300 units in the US if it becomes a hot item you will have a hard time finding a LE after a while now you have the option but maybe not much longer and you will have to tell yourself the pro was what you wanted all along.

I'd get the LE if you don't like it sell it and get avengers probably won't loose much if any money on resale

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

" As others have said, this is the biggest difference in play quality between a pro and a LE ever for Stern .

I have to disagree here...I think that AC/DC has a bigger disparity. X-men second. I can write a list if you want

If you can afford the LE right now I think its the best bet..why? Because it will most likely increase in value and you could always sell it and get a pro down the line if you find the pro meets your needs and make a few $$ if not you will have no regrets!

If you can't buy now then from the limited video I have seen and without playing I think the PRO will still be great and despite a fairly significant difference you won't miss out on what makes the game great which is lots of shots, cool modes, and nice dots and x-men callouts. The magnetic action seems to trump what the spinner does anyhow gameplay wise its the ramp and nightcrawlers.

#36 11 years ago

I wonder what it means once everyone starts buying a game or an edition because it will "appreciate in value" ... Some "investments" have worked out magnificently (MM) -- in the past -- but consider this: Many people also believe the LE's represent a very large portion of all of Sterns manufacturing, so what's "limited" mean if a run is 50% LE and 50% Pro? On the forums you see word of 1 Pro purchase for every 10 LE purchase, and since hardly any new Sterns make it into public venues in the states, I wonder if a small X-Men pro production run will make it look like the Costco version of TDK or IM in comparison to the many LE's out there (in relative terms).

That being said, I think the Pro looks great, and will be as acceptable as the ACDC Pro, which I would have no problem owning, however I'd still opt for the Premium because of the mechanical features. Just consider that X-Men, like ACDC, was designed as a Premium/LE from the outset. If there was no ACDC Premium/LE you wouldn't know what you were missing with the Pro model, but reality is more often than not ACDC buyers have been choosing the full featured models.

Consider that the pre-order price for the ACDC LE was as much as a Premium is now, and the LE's have oddly enough appreciated significantly in value, even with Premiums available... so the collector mentality still rules over all other logic. Don't play the "investment" game with collectibles, just buy what you think has the better "fun" value for you.

#37 11 years ago

In reality, I am not considering this as an investment. I don't plan to flip it in a few months. The hope / goal is that this will be in my collection for years to come.

Having said that, one never wants something to tank in price after they pick it up, in case they do choose to sell it later.

I THINK that the LE's will at least retain their "original pre-order price" value. But who knows.

For me personally, I think I am leaning LE...

#38 11 years ago

I really wish they would have embraced their Premium strategy now. There are people out here that want all the gameplay, but don't want to play Jr. Stock Analyst or Blingy Pin Collector Pissing Match.

Did AC/DC Premium do poorly or something? I played one this last weekend and thought it was the best of both worlds (and would buy one if my money was right for it). It had all the gameplay in a normal package, while letting the LE guys have their limited edition wankery.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from sosage:

I really wish they would have embraced their Premium strategy now. There are people out here that want all the gameplay, but don't want to play Jr. Stock Analyst or Blingy Pin Collector Pissing Match.
Did AC/DC Premium do poorly or something? I played one this last weekend and thought it was the best of both worlds (and would buy one if my money was right for it). It had all the gameplay in a normal package, while letting the LE guys have their limited edition wankery.

They designed this before they came up with the Premium concept and then AC/DC came out first. That seems why Borg had so long to develop this pin but also why no Premium. From now on expect Premium titles.......I would guess

And a shame really as would have been in for Premium X-men.

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

If the flipper works then there won't be parts needed. Lift the playfield and examine how the leaf switches work. The right side should have a double switch. Both blades are probably making contact at the exact same time. You can very slightly and very gently bend the second blade do it takes a bit more travel to trigger your second flipper. But be careful as its easy to go too far and hard to solve that without removing the whole switch and spending several minutes in bend adjustments.

Yup...that did it! Thanks much

#41 11 years ago

I'm keeping mine in the box and flipping it for $8500 in a few months. Going to eat steaks every day for months on this. LMFAO.

#42 11 years ago

Making less than 2k on a game you will wish you kept does not make sense.

#43 11 years ago

Hear is my 2 cents

Avengers is being done by Gomez. Transformers LE was not a hit. Its a great game though the LE's are now selling way below purchase price.

Most of Gomez games play the same or real similiar

Sopranos, Transformers, LOTR, Batman, Playboy

I decided to go with the X-men LE and will wait on the Avengers. If I get Avengers it will be a pro or premium as I am fed up with Sterns LE versions with X-men by not making a premium.

I will certainly wait until it is released as I do not want another situation as with Transformers and the inevitable loss of $$

Again check xmission you guys want a great game for $5100 they are selling Transformers LE autobot and decepticon at $5100.00 for HUO with very low plays

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Making less than 2k on a game you will wish you kept does not make sense.

Wow, so you make 2k every time you sell a game? Can I borrow some money for X-Men LE Magneto from ya? Or a tron pro? I promise I won't sell them until I make at least 3 grand...

I tried selling my Gottlieb Top Card last night for 2350, but the guy was kind of sly and talked me down 2000 bucks...

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

And a shame really as would have been in for Premium X-men.

Why do you say that? Since ACDC Premium is going for the same price the LE pre-order, just X-Men LE at pre-order price as the Premium you would have bought (with a higher resale value).

#46 11 years ago

Lol! I sold my last game for what I Paid and one for less. Just saying selling this LE to make 2k may not be worth the price of a b list table in a year Compared to having one. How many folks would gladly pay 2k over original price for A Tron LE. Chasing a few dollars can lose a really great game

#47 11 years ago

This is a really interesting hobby in that its one that we all expect to it cost us zero, or even more so, make us money. Most mainstream hobbies (Boats, golf, RVs, cars ect.) you take a good beating on financially in taxes, depreciation, and maintenance but, the gain is the joy you get from the hobby itself.

With pins the biggest divide I see between us is the the bickering over valuations and the concern that we may not be able to sell the pin for more than we paid for it. Its a cool thing that these gain value in some cases but, also is becoming the ugly side of this hobby. The LE thing just makes matter worse since we have this debate on new games as well. Now we have to worry that if we don't pre-order then we wont be able to afford it later.

I'm also not convinced that all LEs will go up in value just because Tron did. Maybe, then again maybe not, I doubt I'll ever purchase an X-men so there is little concern for me at least in this title. I'm hoping Stern goes to a Premium version moving forward.

#48 11 years ago

I think though from a logistic standpoint Xmen LE stands a very good chance to turn into a hard to purchase game. The numbers alone dictate this i think. The pro will surely rise to meet tron pro. This is nice in some terms for those that have them early BUT, the whole make buck thing is tearing this hobby apart. 2-5 years ago we all "KNEW" who the flippers where in the Hobby and local areas. Now it seems greed is driving the hobby almost into a beanie baby cabbage patch kid situation.

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Now it seems greed is driving the hobby almost into a beanie baby cabbage patch kid situation.

I didn't think you were the type of guy to collect those, Ben.. Ya old softie..

#50 11 years ago

So I pulled the trigger and ordered a LE Magneto.

One of the biggest deciding factors for me is that it seems like this will be a great machine. Tons of depth, great variety of shots, awesome theme (for me at least - theme is a big deal). Just seems like this may be a great game and I wanted all of the features (except for the slide ramp which does not thrill me so far). Really like the cabinet (though I do think the Pro is nicer). Great lighting effects. Cook backglass.

I also love my Ironman. Its the one game that keeps me coming back every day. While I may not rate it as the best machine I own, I think I like it the best. While I haven't had a chance to play Tron, I hear great things. This being a bit of a Tron / IM combo, I thought it would be for me. In Borg I trust.

I thought, may as well invest in what really looks to be a great game, rather than cheap out and hope that the Avengers is as good. If it is amazing too, well, then I have a problem...

Also helped that I was still able to get a good deal (pre-order pricing) from a great seller.

So now its waiting time. My distributor still has not received this batch of machines. While that kind of sucks having to wait a bit longer, maybe it will give Stern the time to fix up any QC issues and update the code.

Thanks to all for the thoughts and comments.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-pro-vs-le and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.