(Topic ID: 133700)

X-Men Pro - buy or not to buy --> bought!

By redundor

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by whisper
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Baby_Wolverine.jpg
20150721_220547.jpg
20150721_214220.jpg
20150721_214211.jpg
20150721_214201.jpg
20150721_214119.jpg
20150721_214111.jpg
20150721_214102.jpg
20150721_214038.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider redundor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I have a chance to pick up a HUO X-men pro for $4250 CAD ($3370 USD). It sounds like a really good price, but it isn't your typical HUO.

Here is my pro/con list:
Pros:
- Perfect Cabinet and backglass.
- All plastics looks to be in great shape (one of the sling plastics had broken, so it is down to one spare now.)
- No switch errors that I could see. (the only service notices were all for unused switches)
- Low plays (according to the owner).

Cons:
- There is a vertical line stuck on on the DMD, and a single dot in another location.
- There is missing paint and the start of wear around the scoop
- The back of wolverine is pretty much totally cracked around the bracket. Honestly, I am not sure what is holding him on...
- The auto launch was having difficulty launch the balls.
- It was purchased by a landscaping company and kept in their showroom/shop building for staff and customers. However, this building has no A/C, so it was pretty hot in there when I went to check it out. Not the 34C outside, but definitely warm.
- It also hasn't ever been cleaned, so it is really dirty. I haven't ever had to clean a table this dirty, so I don't know how much work it would be. The dirt also wan't super even, so I am not sure it that is the playfield dimpling, or just how the dirt gets deposited. However, under the dirt the playfield looks to be in good shape.

I know it is difficult to say without pictures, but does anyone have any advice for me? Right now I am leaning towards picking it up, since it's a pretty fun table for a decent price.

#3 8 years ago

Not to worried about his honesty, I think it's more a case of no maintenance and lack of awareness. Unfortunately I wasn't actually dealing with the seller in person, just one if his employees. I talked to the seller over the phone and to his employee in person and didn't get a sketchy feeling from either of them.

#4 8 years ago

just found this thread (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-red-led-dmd-anyone-have-issues) and it looks like the DMD might not be a big deal. Either to fix or get stern to replace. Anyone have any luck getting stern to replace the DMD's on used tables?

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from T7:

This is not an HUO machine. I know many on here argue the "value" and "meaning" of HUO. But this is obviously NOT HUO. This game was used in a retail establishment for staff and customers. If it was on Free Play - it probably got TONS of plays and is why it has as many issues as it does.
Stern is good about replacing DMD's within the warranty - but this X-Men is most likely way past the warranty.
It is a good price, and the issues can be fixed (relatively easily). But you are buying a routed game. Calling a game like this HUO is exactly the problem -> you can't trust people -> it's not always clear if it's an honesty issue or a common sense issue

Good point about the HUO vs routed. I guess I was thinking that because it wasn't a high traffic arcade it wouldn't be considered routed, but you are right that it was for employees and customers, so not simply in his home. I don't think he used the term HUO, and I wasn't sure what else to call it since it wasn't really on route, just in an shop/office. Maybe OUO (office use only). I am going to look at it again tomorrow so I'll be sure to check how many plays it has then.

With that in mind, I still feel that it is a good price for the condition it's in, but I do appreciate any input or warning signs people might know about.

#8 8 years ago

it's on v1.02, so never updated. My impression is that they owner of the company bought it and just let everyone play it. He was aware that it was dirty, but he thinks it's in mint condition otherwise, which isn't quite the case. I would agree that the cabinet is mint, but the DMD issues and broken wolverine are less than mint. There definitely isn't a pinhead there who took car of the table.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Donnyman:

Oh man really it has that version! Everyone automatically updated to v1.3 since it introduced Weapon X Multiball. After playing it's like where did the good music go and all. After more and more updates it got worse and worse giving this game a bad rap. We all wanted to go back to V1.02. Its a killer game now after that $hit storm but still needs a little more loving and its there on top. Well grease and oil on the playfield really isnt that bad, it actually helped being out to play in public. it sounds like some major TLC, there is a wolverine replacement https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-le-wolverine-newton-bracket-by-mezelmods, Cliffy protector for the Black Bird scoop to cover that up and prevent future damage, and I would save for another DMD. It sucks but there are so many cool aftermarket DMD's out there.

Thanks for the link to the wolverine replacement option. If I do end up picking it up I was going to try to fix the damage to wolverine and see how long it lasts, but I'll keep that link on hand for when it dies.

#13 8 years ago

went and picked it up this morning. Pretty stoked! The scoop wear wasn't as bad as I first though, only into the paint. I also checked out the total plays and it was just over 1800. So not HUO levels, but pretty lightly routed in my opinion.

Quoted from judremy:

I was one of the guys who came up with the newton ball solution and it makes the game much better. If you look at early videos and such, you will see they originally had a captive ball and the playfield seems to have been made for it instead of for the giant, bulky, cheap, hollow mess of a figure. The only reason they may have taken it out was to add a magnet in front of Wolverine. There are pics in the other thread showing it.

I haven't checked out the game play videos yet, but the pictures looked pretty cool! Does the wolverine magnet still work with this mod? That may effect which way I go.

#17 8 years ago

Here's some photos. Simply unloaded from the van and leveled, I don't even have time to play Got to keep the wife happy though, if you know what I mean Looks like it should clean up really well with a bit of elbow grease, but step one will be to update the code.

20150721_214038.jpg20150721_214038.jpg

20150721_214102.jpg20150721_214102.jpg

20150721_214111.jpg20150721_214111.jpg

20150721_214119.jpg20150721_214119.jpg

20150721_214201.jpg20150721_214201.jpg

20150721_214211.jpg20150721_214211.jpg

20150721_214220.jpg20150721_214220.jpg

#19 8 years ago

I am sure I will! I also have to figure out how to pull out the spot lights to replace the dead bulbs... They just don't want to come out.

Also, anyone know why this was in the cabinet? The owner's employee told me it came with the game, but that doesn't make any sense to me. I did a quick google search and didn't come up with anything pinball related.

20150721_220547.jpg20150721_220547.jpg

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from 30FathomDave:

The spotlight "dish" pops right off with a little finesse. Otherwise, needlenose pliers do the trick.
That trackball has nothing to do with XM. That's an arcade thing. Someone mixed up their parts.
Congrats on scoring this one. XM is an underrated game IMO.

The spotlight "dishes" are attached with heat shrink, so I didn't think they'd go back on properly if I took them off. I was going to give needle nose pliers a shot, so good to know they'll work.

Quoted from MRG:

Be aware that the spot light bulb shining on magneto is a weird size 161 and is considered a flasher. Its #30 in the coil section. Do not put in a 555 like I did. It will blow. Use a 906 or a 161 if you have it.

Thanks for the heads up, I probably would have tried a 555 in there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fontana, CA
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider redundor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-pro-buy-or-not-to-buy?tu=redundor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.