(Topic ID: 182483)

X-MEN- One hell of an underrated game and coder come back! (please)

By shacklersrevenge

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by MagicMako
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

17021755_10154954669663529_3239390206489629550_n (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TigerLaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 7 years ago

I deactivated my ice man ramp. Game plays better that way. Great game, I think it is my top rated game on Pinside.

I like the code on XMen. It's deep and complex. Fantastic game.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

V1.51 - February 17th, 2014

I still give Ritchie 100% credit for getting this game done right code wise.

Back at HAAG 2013 he had about twenty minutes of Q&A at a seminar. I asked Ritchie in the seminar if XMen (which was a disaster at the time code wise) was done. He said, in summary, yes Stern was done with XMen and he was sorry for that as the game and theme deserved better. Borg had apparently stopped pushing for it to be finished (Ritchie didn't say that but I could read between the lines of what he did say and that was my conclusion, for what it is worth).

Pinside went absolutely bonkers. Stern then dedicated the resources, two or three weeks or so as I recall, to making the code great. They were giving some limited feedback to some of us at the time while they were doing it and testing it and they finished the game.

That experience gave me the confidence to buy five more NIBs from Stern over the next two years (as I saw they would finish games) though my confidence has been shaken again over the past eight months or so.

2 weeks later
#31 7 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Lyman remains the only Stern coder you can trust to polish off his code. However this is THE game which Waison can use to showcase he can be that guy as well... it's so close.

Stern worked closely with a few really good players the last time they worked on this games code. They were very interested in what the players wanted and implemented the suggestions they received.

I'm very happy with the XMen code. That said, assuming Stern would even entertain spending resources on a final polish, what sort of stuff would you want added?

The only thing I can think of is completed heros should not restart...that way you can focus on the ones you've not completed.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Only thing I like better on the LE is the night crawler pop ups, otherwise, I like the pro better. This, like avengers, is very much underappreciated. This game had some of the best flow ever created! I miss my pro, but also wanted a change after owning it a few years.

The real mirrored backglasses on the LEs are flat out the best backglasses Stern ever produced. It's not even close. Both Wolverine and Magento are amazing.

I can't recall now if Avengers or XMen were the last true backglass, it was one of those two. Regardless, Metallica and every Stern since has had the fake backglass with the mirrored ink stuff...looks terrible next to the XMen true backglass.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TigerLaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-one-hell-of-an-underrated-game-and-coder-come-back-please?tu=TigerLaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.