(Topic ID: 182483)

X-MEN- One hell of an underrated game and coder come back! (please)

By shacklersrevenge

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by MagicMako
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

17021755_10154954669663529_3239390206489629550_n (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

Tron is probably my favorite game of all time, so I wanted to take a harder look at X-Men, when I had pretty much disregarded it.

I've been spending some quality time on an X-men Pro I picked up. I had played it in Disney World a few years back for hours and I found myself pretty addicted but even so, didn't really consider it because of the theme. I'm not really a fan of X-Men in general, but I watched the first movie recently and kind of dug it.

So I'm playing this game and peeling off the layers and I'm really liking what I uncover. This game feels like backwards Tron, or a Tron on steroids, but like Tron, you just want to keep playing and flowing. Blazing fast at times and the modes and shot requirements are well thought out and interesting.

X-Men basically has two different ways to play and pulling off both wizards modes in one game is tough to do (and no spoilers here) Dark Phoenix is a terrific hair raising mode with incredible sound. Getting to both of these reminds me of getting to Sea of Simulation and Portal on Tron.

Now to the code and the question marks.

1.50 code apparently had a shell of a 3rd Wizard mode and it was dumped quickly at 1.51. This to me is an absolute shame, because with that implemented, this game would be the complete package and potentially a top game.

The other thing that should have been corrected, after you do Danger Room, the heroes do not reset their solid lit status. This is an easy fix.

That's really all. The game is that good.

I know there was some dream talk about a fund raiser to get the coder back on board to finish this off with the cherries, and I would be all for it if it was something he would do. This game really surprised me. The color dmd is excellent, the dot work is tops, the shaker is well used, The sounds are mostly great and there is some epic music in here, (with only a few silly sounds) the art package is stunning and the game play is an absolute blast that like Tron, does not get old because of how well laid out the playfield shots are. It's a truly challenging game and a Borg masterpiece in my honest opinion, and I didn't use to think too much of it.
Give this game a try, I think many that haven't will enjoy this one.

17021755_10154954669663529_3239390206489629550_n (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

Love me some X-men, I prefer the LE tho.

#3 2 years ago

The swinging ramp talked me out of it. That and I didn't think I'd enjoy the pop ups blocking the flow. I wouldn't mind an LE though, but I saved about $1400 buying a Pro and it's been a treat.

#4 2 years ago

The code on 1.50 us great. Just stick with that and ignore 1.51 and you're pretty good to go.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

The swinging ramp talked me out of it. That and I didn't think I'd enjoy the pop ups blocking the flow. I wouldn't mind an LE though, but I saved about $1400 buying a Pro and it's been a treat.

Not just swinging. Shots to the right ramp when it's on the right side drop below and don't activate the right inlane switch. Inlane switches are like oxygen in XM. Soooo lame.

#6 2 years ago

I luv me some xmen myself! Definitely the best bang for the buck as far as modern sterns go. Ive seen a few LE's go for less than 5k recently. The newton ball mod is a must in my book. Although we have a snowballs chance in hell of seeing it happen I would love to see the code polished on this one also. Dark Phoenix wm is really buggy and I dont think its working the way it should. Earlier versions have it as a multiball but the final revisions are only single ball. Alot of times if you time out on the center and right side of the mode it will throw you back into regular play but the mode will still be playing in the background but not show on the dmd. I believe that it is possible to reach both wizard modes again even though the inserts dont reset. I know that once you have finished dark phoenix if you relight a villian in the select screen all of them have reset and you can progress as normal. Doing this is easier said than done as DP is hard enough to reach the first time. Im willing to bet Danger room is the same but relighting and completing each hero is pretty daunting as it takes 5 shots to start each one and you have to track it in your head.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Not just swinging. Shots to the right ramp when it's on the right side drop below and don't activate the right inlane switch. Inlane switches are like oxygen in XM. Soooo lame.

Wow, that's right. Well, that is a pretty lame change for the...lane change...lol. +1 for the Pro then.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The code on 1.50 us great. Just stick with that and ignore 1.51 and you're pretty good to go.

Tell me more. Someone is dropping the code tomorrow for 1.50, and I hear the 3rd wizard mode is a shell, can you confirm? What makes 1.50 better than 1.51?

#9 2 years ago

Does anyone have a read me for 1.50?

#10 2 years ago

Im pretty sure i have it but need to sort thru some thumb drives to find it. Pm me your email and i can send it over or i can post it here on the thread if anyone else wants a look.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Im pretty sure i have it but need to sort thru some thumb drives to find it. Pm me your email and i can send it over or i can post it here on the thread if anyone else wants a look.

I'd be interested in giving it a shot as well. Based on the read me though, screwed up locks on Phoenix might not be worth the tradeoff of having a shell wizard mode that I'll never see...

V1.51 - February 17th, 2014
=======================
- Modified Dark Phoenix scores and shots
*Initial scores stay the same, but bonus scoring from ball/side losses have decreased slightly.
*Storm and Rogue shots no longer add time to all sides, but decrease the main timer by 15 seconds. This allows players to reach the final shot sooner, if they so desire or are able.
*Side timers have been reduced to 75s from 120s.
- Fixed an issue where Deadpool could be stolen by another player in a multiplayer game.
- Fixed a timing issue that prevented Xavier's starting light show from completing. Regular game play is now delayed to allow for the light show to finish.
- Fixed a timing issue that prevented ball locks from the Phoenix shot after a skill shot. Phoenix shot is no longer ignored after the skill shot.
- Fixed an issue where re-starting Shadow King after Dark Phoenix would not allow the mode to progress properly.
- Removed Wizard Multiball shell. This was a wizard mode tested in early beta versions that was brought to prominence due to the last round of changes. It was inadvertently activated and is not an intented feature currently.

#12 2 years ago

I deactivated my ice man ramp. Game plays better that way. Great game, I think it is my top rated game on Pinside.

I like the code on XMen. It's deep and complex. Fantastic game.

#13 2 years ago

I have 1.50 pro code if you need it let me know

#14 2 years ago

I play it on location and agree it is a great game. What does a pro go for? One day, when I tire of Avatar this may be the one to get.

#15 2 years ago

I couldn't agree more with what the OP said. I know this game has its critics, but I've found it to be the most played game in my collection. The shots are challenging, the code is deep, the dot animations are awesome (ColorDMD at its best!), and the artwork is some of the best in pinball.

The code is very good as is and it's unlikely that I'll be reaching any of the wizard modes any time soon with my meager skills. However, a little bit of final code polish on a few of the rough edges would make this game something really special. I'm sure any code update for this title is highly unlikely, but I would do anything I could to make it happen.

#16 2 years ago

Oh man, you guys are really making me want to get a color DMD. I've had a line out on my DMD since I got this game and haven't bothered to replace it... Maybe it's time!

#17 2 years ago

I agree - XMen is an awesome game. It really highlights the "you only get one chance to make a first impression" and why Stern needs to ship games with more polished code. So many pinsiders gave up on this game based upon early code and it has never recovered. Oh well, great deals to be had on this one IMHO.

I never played it much until it had the final code. I was hooked and had to have one. A few minor tweaks of the code would be nice but I can live with it the way it is.

#18 2 years ago

X-men really is a great game. It's got deep code and is extremely challenging on factory settings which is one of the main things I look for in a home game. Great arts, great dots, great music, mostly good call outs. It's a lot bundled in one package. I don't see mine going anywhere anytime soon, it definitely keeps my interest. Pros are usually in the $3750-$4100 range if you can find them and limited edition (which seems more numerous than the Pro version ironically) is usually $5000-$5900. I went with the Pro cause I didn't find the LE features all that special or worth the cost for me personally and I don't regret it at all.

#19 2 years ago

v1.51 is better than 1.50. It fixes some bugs (see above list) and removes the 3rd wizard mode that wasn't implemented (it was just text). XMEN is one of my all time favorite games and its never leaving. Big thumbs up for the colordmd too, its just lovely. You can forget about a code update, 1.51 is all she wrote. Not sure how anyone can get both wizard modes in one game. I know I never will.

#20 2 years ago

XMLE was one of my most favorite games I've owned for sure. I love the flow, combos, animations (ColorDMD is a must), the modes and battles.

My gripe was not the Iceman ramp, which I really liked and thought was a cool toy, but was some of the call outs. Sure, I got used to Beast, but Phoenix has some of the dumbest callouts. "Like my namesake, I got better"??? The hell? A Phoenix rises from the dead, it doesn't "get better" like it had the bird flu. Storm's callouts are way over the top and I found myself talking back to her, hahaha.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

XMLE was of my most favorite games I've owned for sure. I love the flow, combos, animations (ColorDMD is a must), the modes and battles.
My gripe was not the Iceman ramp, which I really liked and thought was a cool toy, was some of the call outs. Sure, I got used to Beast, but Phoenix has some of the dumbest callouts. "Like my namesake, I got better"??? The hell? A Phoenix rises from the dead, it doesn't "get better" like it had the bird flu. Storm's callouts are way over the top and I found myself talking back to her, hahaha.

this made me laugh out loud. Some of the call outs are totally goofy, but that's what makes it humorous because they're so bad...so bad they're good, like the Storm call outs, she just keeps going and going...''Powerrrr..i will show...you the meaning of the word'' it sounds so stupid, lmao.
Dark Phoenix Wizard mode...there are some more dumb call outs because she gets yapping, and I won't spoil it, but lets just say the sounds in this mode are pretty friggin awesome, loved this mode.

#22 2 years ago

Does anyone have a read me for 1.50?

=======================
- Modified Dark Phoenix scores and shots
*Initial scores stay the same, but bonus scoring from ball/side losses have decreased slightly.
*Storm and Rogue shots no longer add time to all sides, but decrease the main timer by 15 seconds. This allows players to reach the final shot sooner, if they so desire or are able.
*Side timers have been reduced to 75s from 120s.
- Fixed an issue where Deadpool could be stolen by another player in a multiplayer game.
- Fixed a timing issue that prevented Xavier's starting light show from completing. Regular game play is now delayed to allow for the light show to finish.
- Fixed a timing issue that prevented ball locks from the Phoenix shot after a skill shot. Phoenix shot is no longer ignored after the skill shot.
- Removed Wizard Multiball shell. This was a wizard mode tested in early beta versions that was brought to prominence due to the last round of changes. It was inadvertently activated and is not an intented feature currently.

V1.5 - February 3rd, 2014
=======================
- Added Deadpool combo award.
*Hire Deadpool to help defeat villains.
*Flashers and display screen signify when Deadpool is ready to help.
*New speech and sound effects.
*Adjustable to change how often Deadpool starts.
- Dark Phoenix rules, sounds, and graphics greatly enhanced.
*New ruleset allows players to battle Dark Phoenix before she destroys the city! (And,
incidentally, the playfield)
*New mystery awards specifically for Dark Phoenix.
*New scoring and awards.
*Villains now reset after battling Dark Phoenix.
- Added Unique Combo Extra Ball.
- Added new mystery feature that re-starts unfinished X-Men modes once a certain threshold has been reached.
- Added new 'Game Over' flasher show.
- Added sound effects to flippers during attract mode.
- Added new Instant Info screen to inform player about Combo related achievements.
- Modified and enhanced flasher usage.
- Modified Juggernaut, Sabretooth, and Shadow King to require less shots to complete.
- Modified Gambit Hurry-Up by increasing its point value.
- Modified scoring in X-Men modes to scale toward a cap per completion.
- Modified Wolverine Multiball to have its point values scale per completion.
- Modified Magneto Multiball to be up-to-date with other changes.
*Jackpots scale per completion
*Number of X-Men available to battle Magneto affects damage done to per shot.
*Direct hits on Magneto do more damage.
*Initial X-Men shots that are not available do greater damage when less X-Men are available.
*Relight message now on Magneto shot awards
- Modified Combo Award screen to show number of combos instead of N-way combos.
- Modified Mystery Award weights.
- Modified Iceman Mode to no longer use red arrow insert to denote the shot. It now uses the clear Iceman insert only.
- Fixed an issue where Mystery awards were not being awarded randomly or sometimes incorrectly.
- Fixed an issue where Nightcrawler would incorrectly restart based on Villain starts.
- Fixed an issue where Xavier shot was not registering during Nightcrawler Mode.
- Fixed an issue with spinner during Storm not awarding points correctly.
- Fixed an issue where X-Men clear insert lights would turn off after ending a Villain mode.
- Fixed an issue in Danger Room where the center lock would incorrectly hold balls for its duration.
- Fixed an issue for some multiballs where add-a-ball mystery feature wasn't being reset properly.
- Fixed an issue with Mystery running out of awards to give. Now 500k award is always available.
- Fixed an issue where Mystery bonus multiplier would continue to award even after reaching the multiplier cap.
- Removed erroneous Combo Extra Ball adjustable.
- Removed Super Spinner as a mystery award.
- Cleaned up Audit and Adjustment menus.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

I still give Ritchie 100% credit for getting this game done right code wise.

Back at HAAG 2013 he had about twenty minutes of Q&A at a seminar. I asked Ritchie in the seminar if XMen (which was a disaster at the time code wise) was done. He said, in summary, yes Stern was done with XMen and he was sorry for that as the game and theme deserved better. Borg had apparently stopped pushing for it to be finished (Ritchie didn't say that but I could read between the lines of what he did say and that was my conclusion, for what it is worth).

Pinside went absolutely bonkers. Stern then dedicated the resources, two or three weeks or so as I recall, to making the code great. They were giving some limited feedback to some of us at the time while they were doing it and testing it and they finished the game.

That experience gave me the confidence to buy five more NIBs from Stern over the next two years (as I saw they would finish games) though my confidence has been shaken again over the past eight months or so.

#24 2 years ago

Agreed, enjoy this one everytime I play it. Even the callouts. Never watched x men before purchase. After being wowed by the game I watched every movie on blue ray. Wow again!! Brings the game all together for me.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

XMLE was one of my most favorite games I've owned for sure. I love the flow, combos, animations (ColorDMD is a must), the modes and battles.
My gripe was not the Iceman ramp, which I really liked and thought was a cool toy, but was some of the call outs. Sure, I got used to Beast, but Phoenix has some of the dumbest callouts. "Like my namesake, I got better"??? The hell? A Phoenix rises from the dead, it doesn't "get better" like it had the bird flu. Storm's callouts are way over the top and I found myself talking back to her, hahaha.

storm is the one hero that I find to be too much. I have thrown around the idea of replacing her clips with something else, but it just seems like work... maybe someday! Hitting beast to storm, or cyclops to storm repeatedly is pretty awesome though!

#26 2 years ago

I'm getting a lot of rejects halfway up the storm ramp on a beast loop, what's the cure for this?

#27 2 years ago

I'm getting a lot of rejects halfway up the storm ramp on a beast loop, what's the cure for this?

It can take a bit of tweaking... There is a thread around here somewhere that outlines some steps that helped with mine. Here it is: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xmen-upper-flipper-storm-ramp-shot-tweaking-to-prevent-airballsrejections

If I remember correctly I did some of the steps and 5 helped. It also seemed like the ball sometimes bounces up and hits the underside of the cover, so make sure the spacers match what's on the manual.

#28 2 years ago

I picked up a XM:Magneto immediately after playing the Wolverine on location. That was when it was new and has unfinished code. With a little patience, and a few code updates installed later, I can say that XM is the game that I have had the longest in my collection. I just keep going back to it...

The time came to sell it to make space for my Rob Zombie pin.... Did not want to give it up. I solved the problem be rearranging the space in my basement and was able to free up space for 3 additional pins (comfortably... comfort counts in my space).

X-Men stays.

1 week later
#29 2 years ago

Yep, X-men all the way! Nothing beats the bass that hits with a subwoofer while fighting the Sentinels. Destroy......desssstrroooyyy. traded a Flintstones and a little bit of cash for my X-Men Wolverine. Never ever going to regret it. Need to develop my strategy this game continuously beats me up.

#30 2 years ago

Lyman remains the only Stern coder you can trust to polish off his code. However this is THE game which Waison can use to showcase he can be that guy as well... it's so close.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Lyman remains the only Stern coder you can trust to polish off his code. However this is THE game which Waison can use to showcase he can be that guy as well... it's so close.

Stern worked closely with a few really good players the last time they worked on this games code. They were very interested in what the players wanted and implemented the suggestions they received.

I'm very happy with the XMen code. That said, assuming Stern would even entertain spending resources on a final polish, what sort of stuff would you want added?

The only thing I can think of is completed heros should not restart...that way you can focus on the ones you've not completed.

#32 2 years ago

Only thing I like better on the LE is the night crawler pop ups, otherwise, I like the pro better. This, like avengers, is very much underappreciated. This game had some of the best flow ever created! I miss my pro, but also wanted a change after owning it a few years.

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Only thing I like better on the LE is the night crawler pop ups, otherwise, I like the pro better. This, like avengers, is very much underappreciated. This game had some of the best flow ever created! I miss my pro, but also wanted a change after owning it a few years.

The real mirrored backglasses on the LEs are flat out the best backglasses Stern ever produced. It's not even close. Both Wolverine and Magento are amazing.

I can't recall now if Avengers or XMen were the last true backglass, it was one of those two. Regardless, Metallica and every Stern since has had the fake backglass with the mirrored ink stuff...looks terrible next to the XMen true backglass.

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

That said, assuming Stern would even entertain spending resources on a final polish, what sort of stuff would you want added?
The only thing I can think of is completed heros should not restart...that way you can focus on the ones you've not completed.

That and villains don't re-light after they are all beat, effectively making a dead end in that aspect of the ruleset. Sounds like the issue was caused by the removal of Wizard Multiball in 1.51, and they never got back to fixing it. Those are probably the two biggest remaining issues.

There may be a couple other little things... the last 2 pages of this old thread detail the last few issues left in the code.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-rcades-x-men-v15-changes-and-rules

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I can't recall now if Avengers or XMen were the last true backglass, it was one of those two. Regardless, Metallica and every Stern since has had the fake backglass with the mirrored ink stuff...looks terrible next to the XMen true backglass.

IIRC Avengers LE had the fake backglass (mirrored translite).

#36 2 years ago

I saw a tourny player just keep hitting mystery award/scoop over and over again until it awards/lights Villians so you can always bring a mode into Multiball. Sounds kinda lame

#37 2 years ago

Love this game! I really don't understand why it gets such hate. I might be biased cause I also love X-Men in general, but I keep going between X-Men and ST and X-Men just keeps drawing me back in. I agree that they should have had the code much better polished before releasing it, but this is the same problem a lot of PS4/XB games have. They release a turd and then polish it up with updates. I kind of miss the days of getting an excellent game from day one, but at least with updates the game gets better.

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

I saw a tourny player just keep hitting mystery award/scoop over and over again until it awards/lights Villians so you can always bring a mode into Multiball. Sounds kinda lame

You'd have to relight the scoop after collecting an award and it takes multiple sets of the 3 rollovers to do so it isn't as easy as just shooting the scoop over and over. You should always bring a mode into multiball, but that is not the way to do it.

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

You'd have to relight the scoop after collecting an award and it takes multiple sets of the 3 rollovers to do so it isn't as easy as just shooting the scoop over and over. You should always bring a mode into multiball, but that is not the way to do it.

When you hit the scoop it lights an inlane so you do that 3x bang inlane completed

#40 2 years ago

Anyone looking to sell an Xmen in the Minneapolis area? I'm trying to join this club!

#41 2 years ago

My bad. Thought this was the xmen club thread.

#42 2 years ago

Completely agree with the original post. Picked up a pro in January and I am totally loving it. Great game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
...redshiftLED
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 399.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Sebring, FL
Machine - For Sale
Chicagoland, IL
$ 50.00
5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wesley Chapel, FL
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
4,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Marathon, FL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside