• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20131020_182420.jpg
20131019_140854.jpg
20131019_140459.jpg
There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Hello I have an xmen magneto Is there anything I need to protect the magnets I hear people talking about

#2 10 years ago

Get a cliffy to protect the wolverine magnet. I just installed one last week; will prevent mushrooming.

#3 10 years ago

I always use light adhesive Mylar cutouts a for around magnets (including XM) and they have worked great for me. Similar to this linked below:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/803-5000-MG

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Get a cliffy to protect the wolverine magnet. I just installed one last week; will prevent mushrooming.

Do you have a link? I don't see one on his site.

Thanks,
Marc

#5 10 years ago

I just got the Cliffy shooter lane protector & the Blackbird scoop protector. Both are a must I would say. They were starting to show signs of wear..I'm hoping to pick up mylar protectors for the magnets at York. I would also like to hear about the Cliffy magnet protector. Does it go underneath the playfield?

#6 10 years ago

Hey guys thanks. I have all the cliffy stuff. Going to check on the Mylar cut outs. Anything else to protect it ?

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I always use light adhesive Mylar cutouts a for around magnets (including XM) and they have worked great for me. Similar to this linked below:

I just checked that site and with shipping to canada it's 25 bucks. Are there any other sites

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Thanks,
Marc

I coupled use one of these if I had a link

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Cliffy makes magnet protectors?? Where can you get them and can you post a pic of one?

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Dellamarmalade:

I just checked that site and with shipping to canada it's 25 bucks. Are there any other sites

I believe Pinball Life used to carry them but don't see them on their site anymore. You could try emailing Terry at PBL to see if he can come up with some for ya.

#11 10 years ago

I heard the magnet was so furious it would rip through the Mylar after some plays

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Thanks,
Marc

Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Cliffy makes magnet protectors?? Where can you get them and can you post a pic of one?

This thread has the data, I ordered and installed them and they don't interrupt gameplay at all.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cliffy-met-magnets-protectors

#13 10 years ago

I can confirm the mylar rips in no time at all, in fact in also caused the ball on the Wolverine magnet to go SDTM all the time. I had to remove the mylar covers.

#14 10 years ago

Yeah; I did Mylar and it was ruined quickly.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

This thread has the data, I ordered and installed them and they don't interrupt gameplay at all.

That is awesome. I assume they will do any magnet? Thanks TigerLaw!!

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

That is awesome. I assume they will do any magnet? Thanks TigerLaw!!

You are very welcome.

It does Metallica, Iron Man, XMen, and Spider Man for certain. It does not do the magneto magnet on the LE XMen because of the spinning disc. It looks cool on the game by the way, really looks like it belongs there.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Donnyman:

I heard the magnet was so furious it would rip through the Mylar after some plays

Quoted from DocRotCod:

I can confirm the mylar rips in no time at all, in fact in also caused the ball on the Wolverine magnet to go SDTM all the time. I had to remove the mylar covers.

The light adhesive vinyl/mylar is not for the core it is for the playfield around magnet. There is a cut out around core. Check the link to Marco below. This type of protection for the area around magnet is almost invisible and probably thinner than a metal protector. These have never worn for me on any HUO games including X-Men and can barely be seen.
You all are talking about vinyl/Mylar on the magnet itself (linked below) and those wear off and tear up pretty quickly. IMO they do not work very well.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1980

I am not sure why you would put metal protectors around magnets when the vinyl does the job and does not become magnetized. To each their own I guess.

#19 10 years ago

Would be curious to see how those hold up on a high wear magnet like Xmen or IM. The magnets on Met are hardly used so would be hard to tell how they hold up. If anyone has one on Xmen please report!

#20 10 years ago

I have been using the .25 Mylar circles from pinball life. I think they hold up well and for the money not bad protection.

#21 10 years ago

I wonder if these magnet protectors would increase the magnetic pull due to increased surface area of metal??

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Thx! I emailed Cliffy. If you have the Pro it's good for both magnets correct?

#23 10 years ago

Hey. I just ordered a protector from cliffy. 6 bucks with shipping Can't wait to put it on

#24 10 years ago

Cliffy didn't have one specifically for the one in front of wolvie. Can someone post a pic or tell me how they intend to mount it. I really don't want to remove wolvie, and was thinking I would just cut it to fit. I'm going to order from him, just wanted to see how others are doing it.

#25 10 years ago

I emailed Cliffy, haven't gotten an answer yet..

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Cliffy didn't have one specifically for the one in front of wolvie. Can someone post a pic or tell me how they intend to mount it. I really don't want to remove wolvie, and was thinking I would just cut it to fit. I'm going to order from him, just wanted to see how others are doing it.

It is for the magnet in front of Wolverine, not Wolverine.

#27 10 years ago

its the same magnet as the grave marker for metallica

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

It is for the magnet in front of Wolverine, not Wolverine.

That's what I said, in front of wolverine. Cliffy told me that he only had circle protectors and that he thought wolverine would have to come out to mount the protector on the magnet. I think you can just cut the protector to size to fit it around wolverine.

#29 10 years ago

I sent him an email asking him to send me protectors for both magnets for my pro. He answered me ok & is sending them.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

That's what I said, in front of wolverine. Cliffy told me that he only had circle protectors and that he thought wolverine would have to come out to mount the protector on the magnet. I think you can just cut the protector to size to fit it around wolverine.

The magnet is in front of wolverine, not under him. You can see the magnet in the playfield and I think there is enough room. Unless you have to unmounting the magnet to put the protector on.

#32 10 years ago

Yes, exactly, so you need to cut the protector to fit around wolvie.

#33 10 years ago

Why would you think it needs to be cut?

#34 10 years ago

Because the protector is a round circle the will fit perfectly around the magnet below magneto, but will be too wide to fit fully by wolvie. I ordered two protectors from cliffy, ill post before and after pics when I get them.

#35 10 years ago

Let me know if they fit without cutting, the above picture looks like it's far enough away not to need any cutting/removal.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Yes, exactly, so you need to cut the protector to fit around wolvie.

Are you TRYING to say it won't fit around Wolverine's magnet (which is an inch or more in front of him)? That picture in the other thread shows this is not the case.

#37 10 years ago

Yes, I know it's not coming across clearly. I think the circle protector will run into wolvie because the diameter is too wide..we'll see.

1 week later
#38 10 years ago

here's the before and after. I was a bit confused, thought it was going to be mylar, not metal rings. fits good.20131019_140854.jpg20131019_140854.jpg20131019_140459.jpg20131019_140459.jpg

#39 10 years ago

I got mine in yesterday, I haven't had a chance to put them on yet..

#40 10 years ago

The one on the wolvie magnet keeps coming off...arghh

#41 10 years ago

That makes me ask the question, what's the best way to prep the playfield for it to attatch? Wax? Novus? Nothing?

#42 10 years ago

I used the alcohol swab that came it. Alcohol removes wax and any other residue. One sticks great, the other not so good.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

The one on the wolvie magnet keeps coming off...arghh

I had the same problem, it kept curling up. I finally had to remove it and order another one.

#44 10 years ago

I bought 3m adhesive, the kind that you use to adhere an emblem to a car. it works. you have to clean the adhesive off the protector so that you have a clean surface to start with. I used mineral spirits. follow the directions on the package.

20131020_182420.jpg20131020_182420.jpg
#45 10 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I bought 3m adhesive, the kind that you use to adhere an emblem to a car. it works. you have to clean the adhesive off the protector so that you have a clean surface to start with. I used mineral spirits. follow the directions on the package.

I'd be scared to use that so close to the playfield edges near the magnet. I wouldn't want it to pull up the clear coat if/when it's removed.

#46 10 years ago

It will not pull up the clear coat. When you pull an emblem off a car, the clear coat remains.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

It will not pull up the clear coat. When you pull an emblem off a car, the clear coat remains.

Yeah I realize that, but on a car you wouldn't be using it right next to an edge where the clear coat stops, in this case it meets bare wood at the edge of the magnet hole. I hope you're right, I won't be trying it on a spot in the middle of the playfield though.

#48 10 years ago

I'm not worried about it, and don't plan on taking it off. I'm more concerned about it remaining adhered.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I'm not worried about it, and don't plan on taking it off. I'm more concerned about it remaining adhered.

Yeah, I definitely understand where you're coming from, I hope my next one stays on without any extra help.

#50 10 years ago

Still waiting on my protector hope it here soon

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-magnets and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.