(Topic ID: 22142)

X-Men: Magneto kicking out balls? NEVER MIND! WAIT FOR 1.3!

By Rarehero

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by jackal2001
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

EDIT:

After testing, I don't think I can recommend my fix...it's a software issue...nevah mind...

#2 11 years ago

Chaz in Stern's tech support says that this is gonna short out other features of the game within a short period of time. There will be a 1.3 according to him that will clean up the leftovers.

I think waiting makes sense.

#3 11 years ago

Great post Greg and kudos to Mr Borg for this tweak nice to see a designer shouting up small tweaks instead of leaving buyers waiting.

#4 11 years ago

How would this short out other features?

It's just causing the switch to be released a microsecond earlier....hmm...oh well, if 1.3 makes this fix irrelevant, I can bend the switch back.

Fix at your own, risk...I guess... *shrug*

#5 11 years ago

I figured this issue of the lock timing would be addressed with software. Just have to wait for it I guess. I've had a ball or two launch in the air by the prongs.

#6 11 years ago

Mine does the same thing at times.I noticed the prongs can also be raised some when lowered to help resolve this but there is no adjustment on the mech.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from jackal2001:

I figured this issue of the lock timing would be addressed with software. Just have to wait for it I guess. I've had a ball or two launch in the air by the prongs.

I thought the game shot the prongs back up as a result of the switch opening. I could be wrong...it could be software timing. If it's timing, they need to make that thing pop up a bit quicker....

I may have been premature posting this... it was working for a bit, then I made my game steeper again and now it's not working....I tried to squash the actuator in a bit more to see if it would help, and I broke it.

The more I think about it, it has to be a software timing issue...the switch theory makes sense if there's just one ball to be released...but if there are multiple balls in there, that switch is going to stay down until there's one left.

So....NEVER MIND! Don't do this fix. Wait till 1.3 lol

#8 11 years ago

OK, even though I'm not recommending this fix anymore...here's another report.

I'm pretty sure this is purely timing and not switch related..because if you hold the ball with your finger when the prongs go down to release it - they go back up whether the ball drops off the switch or not.

That being said...I replaced my broken actuator with a WMS switch actuator (I didn't have any spare Stern ones)...I bent it in a way that it would work ....and after doing a few tests, the release/lock seems to be working correctly. So perhaps there is some physical element to this? Maybe the ball is rolling slightly slower with my WMS switch actuator, causing it to get locked properly!?

I dunno man...lol...this is my final report until Stern gives us their official thoughts.

#9 11 years ago

Again the duty cycle and pwm on the coil needs to be decreased to allow a quicker discharge. This allows the coil to re-fire faster. Increasing pwm or duty tells the coil to store more energy before it fires. This equates to a longer reset coil time.

This is also exactly how efi injectors work low and high Impedance. Low Z injectors have inline resistors to handle this.... I DIGRESS!

#10 11 years ago

Just a thought.... I have been keeping up with all the X-MEN talk and with the new 1.2 code update. Someone said that Stern lowered the coil power (duty cycle) via the code change. Mine machine was working just fine before the update. Now it is releasing them wrong. It's possible the coil can't response quick enough. I will try setting the coil power to the strongest setting and test it to see if that helps..... Definitely the setup is different with the code update

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from HemiOrange09:

Just a thought.... I have been keeping up with all the X-MEN talk and with the new 1.2 code update. Someone said that Stern lowered the coil power via the code change. Mine machine was working just fine before the update. Now it is releasing them wrong. It's possible the coil can't response quick enough now . I will try setting the coil power to the strongest setting and test it to see if that helps.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the update has made the Magneto ball lock worse. Very noticeable. Two balls bounce out regularly, and often the second will be launched upwards by the prongs.

#12 11 years ago

It happened before...I noticed it in 2p games. Magnetos lock was lit all the time in 1.1 before that first multi, so there weren't many instances where it had to kick out a ball.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It happened before...I noticed it in 2p games. Magnetos lock was lit all the time in 1.1 before that first multi, so there weren't many instances where it had to kick out a ball.

Yes, but percentage wise, I'm having two balls released way more than under the prior code.

#14 11 years ago

Strange. Mine actually does a multi-release less frequently with 1.2.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Yes, but percentage wise, I'm having two balls released way more than under the prior code.

Totally agreed with you..... the update needs to be tweaked some more, but other than that I think it was very impressive. I will try to decrease the playfield angle also to see if that helps. I am willing sacrifice some speed to get the ball lock to work.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Yea. I agree with rarehero's assessment. In previous code it almost never released only one ball because lock was almost always lit. In this version it almost always releases one ball so you notice it way more.

#17 11 years ago

I had troubles with the lock rollover switch right out of the box. I had to bend the wire up a bit so the ball resting against the capture pins would regularly keep the rollover down. It would some times but other times (or when another ball would enter the lock and make the front ball resettle) it would make the switch lose contact and "lose" the ball that was setting right on it.

After adjusting it with a little bend up...it worked fine throughout 1.1. I was happy that all it needed was a little adjustment, but I think I may also wait for another update since I'm pretty sure it's a software issue and it's good to know that they have been informed about it.

Thanks for the info.

#18 11 years ago

Was playing the other night and every time, yes every time, it released two balls instead of one. Most of the time the second went flying up in the air. Definately needs a fix for this.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-magneto-kicking-out-balls-try-this-fix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.