You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0632.JPG
Old_Wolvie.jpg
Jack_Burton_Nerd.jpg
xmencable-ahvb.gif
There are 254 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 11 years ago

I am sure this thread will piss some people off, but oh well cannot make everyone happy. This also could save someone a lot of money as I almost bought a pro and after playing this game a few times, I would not recommend this game

Art: (9) Simply amazing! With out questions one of the best art package from the 2000's games. Playfield looked great and the individual figures are very well done........My only issue was with the art of the individual figures, they are very small and they might have looked better if they tried to make a collage like the cabinet artwork......Tough call. Back glass is stunning and cabinet art is what every comic/pinball fan has been waiting for. Thank you Gary & Stern Team!

DMD: (9) Incredible! As a huge X-men fan, I think they nailed it with Xmen. Characters are well represented and the animations just have a great comic book feel to them. None of this movie clip BS where you can barely tell what is happening.

Lighting: (7) OK. LED's are great, but only when you choose the right colors and inserts or else it means nothing. I found the the colors to be limiting and it didn't compliment the rest of the playfield at all. Too much white for whatever reason and I didn't like how the inserts worked with the art work. It might be that they just tried to get too many characters on the playfield and the inserts had a hard time looking like they belonged.

Flow: (6.5) Not acceptable. Will some one please tell WTF they were thinking putting that Wolverine with a magnet where it is????? It basically makes the entire left side of the game something to avoid. I watched that magnet throw the ball directly into the left out lane on a few games. It's just a bad place to put a bash toy and the magnet just makes it an even worse place. Other than that the game does have decent flow, but that like saying, "She's got a real nice personality". This is pinball and without flow, games deserve to to be trashed.

Features/Toys: (7) OK. When I first looked at the playfield, my very first thought was, "Wolverine doesn't look bad" and truthfully he doesn't. The size works and although I think it would have looked better if they used a full body custom figure (Attack position), I can't really bad mouth either figure. The sculpt is good and the paint job although lacking, the figures can easily be repainted. Night Crawlers..........Similar to what has been said, he didn't exist. That being said, based on their location, I don't think they will offer much even when the code is fixed. The spinning disc also did nothing for me. I was impressed a few times when I saw where the magnets were able to throw the ball, but other than that, it added little to make the game play enjoyable. Moving ramp........Sorry, but the damn thing just gets in the way. Bad idea all together, which makes sense............How many games have been produced in pinball history with a huge ramp right in front of the flippers. I think the issue has more to do with the size of the ramp and the fact that it blocks your view of the playfield. They could have at least made it a minimalistic ramp, instead of that giant beast of a ramp.......I meant "Iceman"

Sound: (6.5) Not impressed. Say what you want, but I own every X-Men video imaginable, i.e. Movie, TV animations...............All of them. I am not going to waste my time detailing this. The voices and music are plain bad when you compare them and if you don't agree, you either own a machine and are in denial or are not a true fan.

Rule Set/Code: Who cares??? It isn't going to change much for me due to the fact this game has no flow. Lose the big ass Wolverine and this game would be a winner. This game is not worth the NIB price.

Summary: I cannot recommend this game as I think there are much better out there, first in line being ACDC. But I get that not everyone would like such a theme or the music of ADC. So, if you have to own this, buy a pro. This is no LOTR, SM, Tron or ACDC...........Not even close and because of it, I do not think this will go up in value. If you bought it to make a profit, sell it now, get your money back and await the next LE to buy. On the other hand there are certainly a lot of great things that ensure this will not be a TFLE, so relax and enjoy it.

#2 11 years ago

You must like fat flat girls more than models with big chests. You are entitled to your opinion, its just not a very good one.

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

You must like fat flat girls more than models with big chests. You are entitled to your opinion, its just not a very good one.

You must be one of the people who bought two LE's. Sorry to hear. Sometimes it works out and other times it doesn't. That's pinball.

#4 11 years ago

Nope, just bought one, and its nothing short of amazing. And I've owned some of the highest rated pins on here (MM, LOTR, TSPP, SM) This pinball works out great for 99% of the people who bought it, sadly, it just doesn't work for you. The ratings here speak volumes about how MOST people view it.

#5 11 years ago

If it is fixed and code completed ...I can see this one staying high in the ranks.
I waited in line to play this one ....played about 6 games of 4 players at a time...then walked over to AFM. I played one game afm and thought..wow this seems dated. Spoke with about a half dozen other players and that was the feeling we all had. Needless to say out of the 20 or so pins there only Xmen had a line and the four player games were continues for hours.

I for one am thinking Pro but waiting to see what avengers looks like along with spending time on ACDC.

#6 11 years ago

One of my longtime-collector pin friends came over yesterday to play it...and couldn't stop! He's a diehard WPC'95 guy, and he left wanting an X-Men!

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

You must like fat flat girls more than models with big chests.

If you don't agree with his view, fine, say so. But there is absolutely no reason to get insulting.

#8 11 years ago

So DarkKnight, ruleset means nothing to you regarding game play?

I am not a huge Xmen fan. Never watched the cartoons. So the voices don't bother me. I am a pinball fan. Scoring and how it plays are what is important. To each their own.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

So DarkKnight, ruleset means nothing to you regarding game play?

I am not a huge Xmen fan. Never watched the cartoons. So the voices don't bother me. I am a pinball fan. Scoring and how it plays are what is important. To each their own.

Rules ARE important in pinball, but not in this game.............Why you ask because it has no flow. Without flow, who cares about rules! Big ole' wolfie kills the flow, so there was no way I would stay long enough to find out how amazing the rules are. This isn't a board game, it's pinball.............Without flow, little else matters.

#10 11 years ago

Hey man thanks for you take on it. Its not for everyone.

#11 11 years ago

So magnets kill flow

#12 11 years ago

The minut i saw the playfield i knew wolvie was to close.

Like you said, left side there is nothing you can hit with nice flow. I like to have equal sides on a playfield, i mean different in lay-out/shots, but equal in fun.

But i am sure other people will have a fantastic time playing this machine, and they deserve it. Cause its alot of money.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

You must be one of the people who bought two LE's. Sorry to hear. Sometimes it works out and other times it doesn't. That's pinball

Darknight, I actually think you were wayyyyy to kind in your review. I have owned over 40 different pinball machines, and it makes me sad to see people give this a passing grade.
When people are happy with totally incomplete rules, and the best toy everyone talks about is the spinning disk on the game, it really makes you scratch your head.

Top it off that most paid $7000 grand for this, its no wonder why the owners are on the defensive.

Night crawler is done, it is what it is, its a random mode made by the scoop shot, its right on the rules card.

How I would of made this game better, a good start, would of been at least using a bunch of pop up drop targets (like cactus canyon) to randomely pop up on the playfield to knock down, you could of tied those into a power meter health bar.

I guess in 3-4 months, will see who knows what they are talking about. When the next game starts getting pumped, thats usually an iniatial sign of the lasting appeal of a game.

good luck, 5-7 grand is a lot of money, I would hate to see someone get burned without doing their do dilligence. A lot of x men fanboys have been making a lot of noise, which could make it very deceiving for someone that does not have the ability to check it out first.

Scott
Detroit Pinball

#14 11 years ago

Honestly I like your review. IMHO, the wolverine toy is actually too easy. Might be the way I have my game set up (slope 6.7-6.8) and level. I have not had any issues with the magnet on X-Men giving me an unfair drain.

#15 11 years ago

I find it fun. Wolvie isn't as dangerous if you bank shot him. I can usually get a Wolvie, Cyclops combo off the right flipper. I don't get as many Wolvie magnet throws to the sides as I do drops SDTM. I nudge if that ball is sitting nice and solidly in his clutches.
What is annoying is shots to Beast will glance off Wolvie. They will still make it up the lane but since they hit Wolvie too, it tends to start Wolvies mode and make the Beast shot not count. This will be a non-issue if they make it so you can't start XMen again after completion. But as it stands now, he is more annoying than fun.

#16 11 years ago

Good review, thanks for voicing your opinion. You effectively described what you did and didn't like and use of scores per category was nice. I haven't played one but will definately try before I buy.

I definately was hearing some conflicting info on the sounds and believe you have established your credibility in this category.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

So magnets kill flow

This is a great question as you might think I have that opinion by reading this review. The answer is "NO" magnets don't always kill "flow" and in certain games they add a tremendous amount to the games excitement. One of my favorite uses of magnets in any game is IM. The magnets do just enough to throw you off and keep you on the edge of your seat.

#18 11 years ago

Good review, not buying another Stern unless the code has been completed (i.e. LOTR).

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from detroit_pinball:

When people are happy with totally incomplete rules, and the best toy everyone talks about is the spinning disk on the game, it really makes you scratch your head.
Top it off that most paid $7000 grand for this, its no wonder why the owners are on the defensive.
Night crawler is done, it is what it is, its a random mode made by the scoop shot, its right on the rules card.

A lot of x men fanboys have been making a lot of noise, which could make it very deceiving for someone that does not have the ability to check it out first.
Scott
Detroit Pinball

I am a huge xmen fan but Amen Scott!

#20 11 years ago

This is a great question as you might think I have that opinion by reading this review. The answer is "NO" magnets don't always kill "flow" and in certain games they add a tremendous amount to the games excitement. One of my favorite uses of magnets in any game is IM. The magnets do just enough to throw you off and keep you on the edge of your seat.

Totally agree with you but even Iron Mongers magnet sends the ball straight down the middle.
The game is in need of some serious coding which I hope will be released this week. I would say the voice work is okay not great. Hoping this will be part of the update. When I look at games with great "flow" LOTR, SM, ACDC etc, X-Men isn't that type of game.

#21 11 years ago

How dare you have an opinion. Let the lemmings leap.

#22 11 years ago

Interesting, well thought out review. Thanks!

xmencable-ahvb.gifxmencable-ahvb.gif

#23 11 years ago

Thanks for voicing your opinion....very detailed...I like to hear the good, bad and the ugly....it helps others make a decision on purchasing or not....

There does seem to be a lot of these LE's available from several sources...

#24 11 years ago

Ditto, thanks. I agree w many of your points.

#25 11 years ago

WTG Darkknight.....finally someone who didn't drink the Stern Kool-Aid

#26 11 years ago

I'm not sure why you think the game has no flow. You must not be making your shots. It isn't the fastest game out there. It isn't No Fear or SM, but it also ain't no slouch in the flow department either. This game has a lot of tight shots and if you don't have accuracy, you will have problems.
I will also say the pro should not have as tight of a left orbit because Wolvie doesn't need to be moved as he won't hit the ramp. I do think the Pro will be a bit faster and be just as fun because of that. NC is cool but he isn't a game changer. And I like that he doesn't pop up all the damn time. He would get annoying like Wolvie currently is.
Does it need to have bugs fixed. Absofreakinlutely.
There is the Nightcrawler DMD bug, Disk magnet not activating sometimes, Scoring issue and a couple of other small ones I can't think of at this time. No matter what anyone says, these should have been IDd from the factory.
Is this the "Best Game Ever!" No, will it be, probably not, but I am betting it will be a solid A title.

#27 11 years ago

If anyone in North Jersey has one...please lemme know...I'd like to get an invite to play...

#28 11 years ago

I really like how he voiced his view, he said what he didnt like then stated why. He just did not straight up trash it. I'm going to play one in the next few weeks at CP pinball, and I'll see what it is all about for myself. Until then I'll read these posts and know what to look for, fanboys and non-fans alike.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It was released a month ago. OH-ME-OH-MY!!! It's still for sale, so that must mean it's a total flop....lol.

#30 11 years ago

Honest opinions are good and appreciated.

Before any review of this game, I think the code should be more up to date to have a more fair review (IMHO), either positive or negative. Who knows, maybe the code being more complete could sway someones thoughts.

But good on ya for posting. If someone would have posted a review thread similar to yours when AC/DC came out (i.e., in the negative, and recommending people not buy it), you would have been told you were wrong, and burned at the stake. Then beaten and burned again. The hung up for all the world to see.

#31 11 years ago

The worst score is 6.5 and your not impressed????

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Where would that be? Gameroom Guys are out and if you're talking about Automated Services...well they still have 2 NIB SM they can't get rid of.

Why don't you haters just admit this is the next great game and either buy one or get over it? It's either the anticipation of how great Avengers is gonna be, or how great SM is, or that Stern's QC sucks.

When you date hot girls you don't need a reason to explain why you date ugly ones.

Buy the F'ing game because if you don't I can almost guarantee it will be a top 5 game in 3 years tops.

Most of the guys that are pissed are the ones who were upset they missed out on Tron and are now realizing that X-Men is Stern's next Tron.

#33 11 years ago

I don't understand how he is saying there is no flow. The left orbit shot is not very hard to shoot past Wolverine once you get the hang of it. After playing it for a while I can nail the shot pretty consistently followed by a ramp shot followed by another ramp shot I think this game has great flow. Some of the shots are challenging and requires practice but that IMO makes a good pinball game. And the rules are great, so much to do in the game. I am excited for the new code update this week and I am told by people who played the new code already that it is a huge improvement.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

I don't understand how he is saying there is no flow. The left orbit shot is not very hard to shoot past Wolverine once you get the hang of it. After playing it for a while I can nail the shot pretty consistently followed by a ramp shot followed by another ramp shot I think this game has great flow.

Exactly, I've gone Left Orbit (Beast) to Storm Ramp to Cyclops, back to Storm Ramp, to Iceman, to Beast, etc...the flow and speed is CRAZY with tons of Combos everywhere. Flow is more than "Left ramp, right ramp, left ramp, right ramp" *cough cough AC/DC cough cough*

...btw, I like AC/DC, it's fun...but X-Men has more flow/combos if that's an important criteria for you.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

After playing it for a while I can nail the shot pretty consistently followed by a ramp shot followed by another ramp shot I think this game has great flow.

I agree - seems to have good flow to me - it is a pretty tough game but I am getting better at it. Takes practice but it also makes you a better player. I went from X-men to my TRON and really had a great game on the TRON.

#36 11 years ago

I personally think this is a thread designed to not let the X-Men thread get to 200+ pages but one more comment.

I agree with Rarehero's comment about the flow. This game is so neat in terms of what you need to hit. It's freaking hard but not unfair.

#37 11 years ago

thedarkknight77,

I haven't played the pin yet so I cannot agree or disagree.

I will say I like anybody who will put there balls out there knowing they'll be catching some shit for it, voice their opinion and back it up with details/facts, not just say "it sucks". I appreciate hearing different opinions.
Thanks

PorkChopExpress

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

The minut i saw the playfield i knew wolvie was to close.
Like you said, left side there is nothing you can hit with nice flow. I like to have equal sides on a playfield, i mean different in lay-out/shots, but equal in fun.
But i am sure other people will have a fantastic time playing this machine, and they deserve it. Cause its alot of money.

Dude I hit every single shot tonight and I'm above average at best playing pinball. Maybe I'm underrating myself a little but I hit the Beast shot twice in the last half an hour or so.

That freaking shot RULES!!!

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Why don't you haters just admit this is the next great game and either buy one or get over it? It's either the anticipation of how great Avengers is gonna be, or how great SM is, or that Stern's QC sucks.
When you date hot girls you don't need a reason to explain why you date ugly ones.
Buy the F'ing game because if you don't I can almost guarantee it will be a top 5 game in 3 years tops.
Most of the guys that are pissed are the ones who were upset they missed out on Tron and are now realizing that X-Men is Stern's next Tron

For someone that ownes only one pin, you do seem to throw a lot of odd observations/predictions out there???

you bought the game, we get it, nothing else you are saying makes any sense or has any relevence to the op's review.

How are you supporting your guarantee, cash wager, or can someone hold you liable for their game if your predicition doesnt come true?

Geez, the OP posted a valid review without showing any sign of direct malice / jealousy towards Stern or early adopters.

Scott
Detroit Pinball

#40 11 years ago

Just from watching a video of it I was also unimpressed with the voices, they do sound a bit cheesy

#41 11 years ago

Why blast the guy for giving his opinion? I have yet to play the machine but would love all the insight I could before I went ahead with a purchase.... Appreciate your review bro keep them comin.

#42 11 years ago

I was with TDK today. Agree with most of what he said. I played it less than him though. After 3 plays I wanted to play other games in the arcade.

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from detroit_pinball:

For someone that ownes only one pin, you do seem to throw a lot of odd observations/predictions out there???
you bought the game, we get it, nothing else you are saying makes any sense or has any relevence to the op's review.
How are you supporting your guarantee, cash wager, or can someone hold you liable for their game if your predicition doesnt come true?
Geez, the OP posted a valid review without showing any sign of direct malice / jealousy towards Stern or early adopters.
Scott
Detroit Pinball

I've owned 73 games...I don't have the space right now because I'm in a condo in Fort Lauderdale. I'm not a Stern early adopter...have you looked at my previous games? I haven't fully updated it yet because I am slacking.

That being said, I am a firm believer you need to own the game or play it over and over again to fully rate so you can hold that against me.

Geez is spelled G-E-E-Z-E...and the bet was metaphoric but I'm guessing with the state of the education system in Detroit you may not know that.

#44 11 years ago

Of course the voices are cheesy. It is based on a Cartoon/comic book. I can name some other games with cheesy quotes. You either like them or you don't though. I think they fit the theme. This game isn't dark in atmosphere like BDK, LOTR or SM.

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from pinsrus:

Why blast the guy for giving his opinion?

So if a guy has an opinion then people should automatically buy Rolling Stones or vote for Barak Obama again? Some of you guys really need to relocate to Greece or France.

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

That being said, I am a firm believer you need to own the game or play it over and over again to fully rate so you can hold that against me.

I agree with this statement 100%............I have been plenty wrong in the past. I will say this, I will not be taking back anything I said about Wolverine's positioning on the playfield. Below are my exact words.

It's just a bad place to put a bash toy and the magnet just makes it an even worse place. Other than that the game does have decent flow, but that like saying, "She's got a real nice personality". This is pinball and without flow, games deserve to to be trashed.

"Other than that, the game does have decent flow"..............When you put a F'ing road block on a race track, be prepared to piss some race car drivers off, especially because this pin had the art package and theme to be the greatest pin ever. Here's a clip to remind you all..........

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

The worst score is 6.5 and your not impressed????

The Internet does not recognize 5 out of 10 being the measurement for mediocre.

Agree or disagree with the op, at least he explains his criticisms instead of just talking in hyperbole.

#48 11 years ago

I'd have to say that I appreciate the review. The fact that specific details were given rather than a blanket "it sucks". By your own points, you may actually like the pro better.

I disagree with a few points: LEDs in this look awesome and make older games look dated.

The flow point: game has great flow. Rarehero summarized it well. But I think the point on flow we are missing is that you should avoid the left side of the playfield because the pops and the magnet are drainers. If you do that then you lose some of your flow opportunities. But you can achieve similar flow shots safer like this: Xavier (this is basically a ramp shot), cyclops (feeds upper flipper), storm ramp, repeat.

I like the iceman ramp moving and do not find it so much in the way. And the night crawlers will appear more - we have been told as such.

As for wolverine, I agree he blocks beast too much. He needs 3/8" shaved off his left side at the base. I might take mine off and cut him up . I'd like to get a spare first though. I also been looking for a suitable replacement. Yes you can still make the shot, but it's tighter than it needs to be and the risk is high shooting over there.

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

By your own points, you may actually like the pro better.

The pro will definitely get a better review. In my opinion this game was a case of less would have been more.

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

As for wolverine, I agree he blocks beast too much. He needs 3/8" shaved off his left side at the base. I might take mine off and cut him up . I'd like to get a spare first though.

I don't know enough about the material to know if it's pliable when heated...but - if it is, it might be worth trying to flatten/squish the side in a bit rather than cutting it. If you cut it, there will just be a bit obvious hole there (as he is hollow inside)...but if you can squish the side flat w/ some heat - I think that would still look good.

As for me, I'm not too worried about it as I can make that shot just as well as I can make the pops orbit on Tron or TSPP. I think it's more psychologically in the way than physically. When I first saw it I was like "whaaat, that blocks the shot!!!" ...but then I played and I can make fast clean Beast orbits with relative precision.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

There are 254 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-lenot-impressed-review-from-a-dark-knight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.