IMG_9287 (resized).JPG
IMG_9285 (resized).JPG
20150117_pinball_0034_(resized).jpg
20150117_pinball_0013_(resized).JPG
20150117_pinball_0012_(resized).JPG
wolverine_Small.png
14452782287611835352940.jpg
image_3.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider judremy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 9 years ago

One tip, you will probably want to modify the switch from the Wolverine bash toy so that the plastic nub faces the other way. This will give the mini-ball more spacing and make it less sensitive. I will post some pics once I get my bash assembly back from TMezel (after he is done with it of course).

#10 9 years ago

Please note, you only need three post sleeves PER kit. Only three should be put on, otherwise the mini-ball gets stuck before it can hit the switch in the back.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Can't find the kit on your web site.
Also what are you guys putting on top of the Newton ball?

You can put whatever you want there. Unless you buy something about 5 inches tall, you will have to shorten it. There are a lot of nice options out there though.

#20 9 years ago

TMezel, you might want to change the thread title to Pro/LE as it works on both.

1 week later
#27 9 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

Are these out of stock? I cannot find them on the website. Also what does it look like installed? Do you keep your current figure and this goes under it??
And why won't this work in the LE?
http://mezelmods.com/collections/x-men/products/x-men-wolverine-pro-bracket

You should be able to order the Newton bracket alone at any time. The belt bracket is different.

You can see the Newton ball here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judremys-xmen-wolverine-solution-with-gameplay

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

Thanks. There is too much to read in that thread via my phone but it appears that the stock wolverine does NOT get remounted. I like the look of it too much to take it out.

There are better ones you can add to the machine. I will post up the one a friend of mine used and it looks so much better.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

I picked up a pro yesterday so I now can test the Newton bracket!

Sorry I haven't been around. Had to get a new car, been sick all week, and daylight savings time is already playing with my head. If you need help, I will try to do what I can.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Left the power on during install and blew the drive transistor for the row. Shorted the switch across the pop bumper.
On a good note, I am testing my switch and using the 4 cliffys. I removed one of the non-conductive layers of the switch to bring the switch closer to the small ball. The cliffys I supply are durable enough where the ball does not get stuck and looks to close the switch. Will try to repair the transistor tomorrow.

Ouch! Isn't that rule #1? Always turn off the power! Hopefully we noted that in the guide.

1 week later
#35 9 years ago

TMezel, did you get this installed in your machine? Also, did anyone else get it installed? Pictures people! Show off your machines.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Jeremy, are you willing to test my new switch setup with the 4 cliffy rubbers? My initial tests show it works without the small ball sticking.

Sure thing. I can take a Cliffy from another machine to have four on it. Don't know if you want to mail the bash assembly back too now that you have one. If you still have use for it, hold onto it.

#40 9 years ago

lyonsden:

What size washer did you put below the captive ball. I might add that to mine.

1 week later
#47 9 years ago

I was playing X-Men last night and got to Danger Room. It is so satisfying when you make the Gambit shot or even the Beast > Storm > Iceman > Xavier > Cyclops combo is cool. Was doing great until Magneto threw the ball down the middle. No time to react at all.

I love this game so much with the newton ball as it opens up the field and increases the flow that Wolverine was killing.

#51 9 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Oops, the slight tweak was on the LE bracket, not the Newton. I had to taper the back bracket so it does not hit the plastic.
I need to ship the new Newton setup with the modded switch to Jeremy tomorrow.

I will install it as soon as I can once I receive it. Maybe you can include the sticker for the belt protector too (you already sent me a belt protector). You can also send back the bash assembly (if you are done with it).

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Will do with some splints too. I gotta order you a new switch, the switch sandwich fell apart with all my handling.

You don't think I can just put it back together? Well, I'll let you decide that. I have a few extra splints still from when we had the give away at The Walking Dead release tournament. I could use a few of those wider ones (the two part ones) though. Did you make one for Williams switches yet?

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

So are you guys making/selling a kit for the LE?

for the newton bracket or the belt guard? Both are made, but are in testing.

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

Much happier with this figure.

image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
image-910.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

If you buy some museum putty (quake putty), you can put a small amount on the bottom and it will stick great and you won't be able to see it.

#58 9 years ago

Got the new switch from TMezel to test. Will try to install tonight.

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from Asylum:

Any updates on the kit? Thanks!!

I'm testing the new switch on Sunday. Have a relative in town this week and a pinball tournament on Saturday.

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

I'm testing the new switch on Sunday. Have a relative in town this week and a pinball tournament on Saturday.

Did not have a chance to install yet. Will do tomorrow after work. Family was still in town all weekend, so that took precedence. Tied for third in the pinball tournament, but no trophy. Still a great MPE.

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from copperpot:

I installed this on my XMLE this weekend. OMG. This is an AMAZING change to the game. I seriously have never been happier with a mod. It opens up Beast TREMENDOUSLY, and the newton bracket works and LOOKS great. I AM a little concerned with the 3d printing of the top bracket and any jump balls may crush the bracket, I feel like this piece should be made of a hard ABS, which I think would be cheaper anyway for the Mezel family to produce, but until it ACTUALLY breaks I guess my fears are completely unwarranted at this time. Besides, even if it DOES break I feel confident the Mezel folks would provide a solution.
But, Man, Mezelmods, top notch job!
-Wes

Definitely post some pics of it with the Wolverine you end up putting above it. I can't speak for Mezel, but I wanted to get this to others after I made the original with another guy and feel it fixes one of the big flaws with the game. It makes wolverine harder to hit and causes the magnet throws to be more brutal, both which I love.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Did not have a chance to install yet. Will do tomorrow after work. Family was still in town all weekend, so that took precedence. Tied for third in the pinball tournament, but no trophy. Still a great MPE.

I tested the new switch and it is missing a necessary piece which is a bent metal piece behind the first tall metal switch. It really needs to be like a target without the plastic cover. I am going to send some pics to Mezel tomorrow of the switch stack I had made to see if we can find something like it with the necessary reinforcement.

The problem with the sample he sent is that the ball hits the switch too hard and gets stuck either between the rubbers or gets stuck between the switch blade and one of the posts.

#66 9 years ago

I have attached a pic of what happened with the switch that Mezel sent me. With the fourth rubber on, the ball got stuck between the rubbers.

Without it, the ball got jammed between the post and the switch.

The original switch I used has another bent piece that gives extra support to the front switch blade. It also only needs two connection points. I took mine apart to try and give a visual.

I will try to look for a good switch on pinball life or marcos when I have a spare minute. Right now, work and my toddler are taking all my time.

20150413_202047.jpg20150413_202047.jpg

20150413_202300.jpg20150413_202300.jpg

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Show us a pic of your setup so we can get these out. Did you only use 3 rubbers on the post and what kind of switch? I really want to close this out and get folks their mods.

I believe these might work. I U riveted the plastic from a Williams switch and changed around the stack some. This would work and might only require changing the order of the stack to match what I posted above.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3424

Make sure if you try it, that you get the square top and not the round one.

The only other thing I can try with the switch you sent is to turn it backwards and have it start out closed and when I hit it, that would open then close the switch again.

1 month later
#75 8 years ago
Quoted from PinDescabarian:

Totally agree with this statement. I enjoy the belt mod and would be bummed if I could not replace later if it broke.

He won't stop selling it since he prints them as needed. It's not like he has an inventory of 100 of these or anything. Though, the newton ball is awesome and definitely does NOT make the game easier. Try striking the newton ball without that magnet grabbing the ball and throwing it away.

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Just don't stop selling the belt piece... I need to order one of those. Not going the newton ball route..feel it will make the game too easy for me with that beast shot wide open.

You have no idea the speed this game has (more like Tron) when you don't have a toy that was improperly designed in the way. 100% reversible, less expensive than most mods, and makes the game more enjoyable (not to be confused with easier). Try it before you make assumptions.

1 week later
#79 8 years ago

Any ingame pics of it on yours Tmezel? Curious which figure you went with if any. Highly recommended!

http://mezelmods.com/collections/x-men/products/x-men-wolverine-newton-bracket

1 week later
#86 8 years ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

Still need to order a better topper toy, but for now, this works. This MOD is AWESOME! Well worth the wait.
20150621_100336.jpg

That looks pretty good in the LE. I really like the smaller figures. Try taking off Magneto and tell me what you think of the plastic underneath him. Great design there that can't be seen with the giant figure. Plus, you can see the balls that are locked through the transparent window.

#88 8 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

What if we just made a Wolverine claw that comes out of the plastic.

That could be good. I would put the back of the fits towards the player with the claws vertically up.

Maybe something like this:

hasbro-wolverine-electronic-claw-toy-SA1U1AST8HCWNV-400x400.jpghasbro-wolverine-electronic-claw-toy-SA1U1AST8HCWNV-400x400.jpg

If you do this and can make it transparent, there may be a way to run the flasher wires up and into it instead of the flasher being IN the wolverine insert.

1 week later
#95 8 years ago

How much does the paperweight run. Thinking I may have to get one. Wonder if there is a Magneto in a similar scale.

#101 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Anyone else having problems with the mounting bracket fitting too tight? No matter how I adjust the switch it is always closed when I put the bracket is because it is such a tight fit.

You can put washers between the switch and the plastic bracket before screwing the switch into the bracket. This may space it out A bit better.

#104 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I got it working. I tried several things but still did not have enough space. I filed the groove in the back of the bracket down a couple of mm and now it's working great.

On the original one, I think the guy who made the file did that because our switches were set back a bit. To be honest, that part could probably be brought in a bit to align with the back where you insert the screws. Hard to say as I have not seen the final switch that Mezelmods includes. I am willing to offer any help I can. I really feel this makes the game play better. Just be sure to give it the pop bumper test (should not trigger when pop is activated).

Jeremy

#106 8 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

I found it very easy to install, it is a tight fit. I would suggest maybe before the install, increase the spacing on the contact points.

This is definitely suggested. It's a little trial and error. You can get it to stay up with just the newton ball installed an probably a single post to test the spacing.

1 week later
#110 8 years ago

Anyone else care to share pics of their setup? Love to see the changes people have made if any. Also hoping to see more videos.

#112 8 years ago
Quoted from whisper:

has any pro owners ever installed this mod ?

I was the one who helped make this part and own a Pro. It works great and was actually made to work with both machines.

#114 8 years ago
Quoted from Asylum:

So what are people using?

Quoted from Asylum:

So what are people using?

He quoted it. Quake putty. Simple and you don't need much.

1 month later
#119 8 years ago

Anyone take pictures of their installs? I am curious to see what people came up with? I have noticed people adding a washer UNDER the newton ball to raise it up slightly. Anyone else do this?

#126 8 years ago

First off, a big thanks to all that posted pics of their Newton Balled X-Men. I really am glad I could help make this machine better for those of you that had the same problems with it that I did. Some of the ideas people have shown are great (including the Wolverine with light-up eyes).

Does anyone know of someone that can make decals and has a graphic background? I do agree that a decal would complete the package, but you would have to make two for the different cut-out areas (Pro & LE); however, they could share the same art. If someone can remember to take a picture (or even better, a scan) of the area when they have their Wolverine figure out along with measurements of the area, that may help this get going. At the very least, you could make an all blue (matching the playfield) decal that would go around the cut-outs. It may only need to expand the Gambit throwing card art slightly and maybe the electrical lines coming from the Magneto magnet. Anyone up for the task?

#133 8 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

After my Wolverine finally broke I decided to try this mod.
So far I am preferring it to the Mezel belt mod.
It opens up the Beast shot and doesn't interfere with the Magneto multiball start.
I altered broken Wolvie by cutting off the belt and made a L shaped bracket to keep him on the newton mod.
20150827_151752.jpg

If I ever go back to the large figures, I may have to cut the belt off mine too. Nice work!

Can you take a picture of where and how you mounted the L-bracket and the size?

#145 8 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

What can I safely hook a light up to?
Will patching it to the newton switch work without problem?
Wolverine originally had a light in his head but it never turns on except in test mode.

The flasher in the Wolverine insert goes off when you hit him. You could reroute those wires into the head with a flasher LED using the flat flex head.

#146 8 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

Hey hey everyone! Just got my Newton kit today, and I'm having...issues.
The bracket plastic was VERY tight for me to get into place. I had to hammer it in to get it flush. With the switch attached to it, I had almost no wiggle room to fit everything in. Once I installed everything, sure enough, wolvie wasn't registering any hits at all, and no matter how I moved or fiddled with the switch, nothing registered.
Also, it said in the instructions to use the old wolvie switch in the ew bracket, so I did an the old wolvie switch was taller than the plastic cover...anyone else have this issue?
[attachment=2645926,undefined caption="image.jpg"]

The instructions need to be updated to use the new switch. I don't think the Wolverine switch works. I will let someone who bought the package answer though.

#150 8 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

Switched them out. Same result. There's not even enough room to create a gap for the leafs in either switch configuration. Even when I part and contact them manually during gameplay, nothing happens. Wires are connected underneath play field and everything....I don't know what the issue is here, but this kit is getting pretty beat up from me having to take everything out and reinstall it so many times.

Let's see where we are:

Can you provide pics of how it looks below playfield? I think someone said they closed the gap and had it work so it registered when it opened instead of closing. I assume after you soldered the connections to the new points, you remembered to hookup the connector under the playfield? I really want to see what we are working with here as I haven't heard of any problems like this before.

#153 8 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

I got it working, finally. I just had to REALLY bend the switch leafs to the extreme so that when they squeezed through the back gap they were settled apart from each other enough. Whew!

I will be interested to hear what you and Dugfreez think of it. You guys are very knowledgable and outspoken about this game (as am I). Let us know after you have some time with it.

#158 8 years ago
Quoted from KillerKades:

I had the same issue with it being a very tight fit so with the switch on the bracket it was making contact with the wood and would keep the switch closed. Even with major bending it still would remain in contact. Had to cut/file away part of the bracket to get the switch to operate correctly. Actually took quite a bit off that the inner honeycomb of the bracket was showing. Still seemed to hold in place so hoping it will last in the long run.
Question though, what did everyone do with the light in Wolvie? I just cut the wires and took it out as I don't think it was ever implemented.

I am starting to think the tighter fit might be an LE thing based on who had the issue. Maybe that slot is slightly shorter. Hopefully, Mezel can take a hair off the back, but not sure of what he can do with the STL file I sent him. The light never was implemented, but I would like to know if those wires went to a connector or were hard wired into the rest of the wiring system. I would terminate them at a connector if I had an LE in case they ever finish that feature. Then you could attach new wires to the connector with a 555 socket or something and mount it in Wolverine with it pointing up. I plan to move the flasher in the Wolverine insert behind my figure at some point so it becomes more noticeable.

#159 8 years ago

Rcade, that was a great write-up. I have to say that even with all the trouble it was and me and Mezel going back and forth on a lot of this, it was worth it. If people I highly respect can enjoy this game more than before then that is great. Thanks for the feedback and enjoy!

2 weeks later
#166 8 years ago

Does anyone have a machine on route with this mod in it? Curious if it is holding up well and if volume (number of weekly plays) has changed.

1 month later
#174 8 years ago

How much was that one? It looks good to me. You repaint it?

#176 8 years ago
Quoted from PinDescabarian:

No repaint. Picked it off E bay for 80$. Bowen character. Now I just need to figure out how to attach it. Any suggestions.

Quake Putty is amazingly strong. You can put a blob of it on the plastic piece that came with the kit as long as the statue has a nice solid bottom.

#177 8 years ago

If any of you installed this Newton ball and still have the old bash assembly handy, I need help identifying the switch so TMezel can order me a new one. This would be the original switch in the bash assembly.

Here is the thread I created for identifying it:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-part-number-for-wolverine-switch#post-2764725

Help is appreciated!

1 week later
#180 8 years ago
Quoted from redundor:

I am working on taking this a different route than what I have seen so far. Here is what I have so far.

wolverine_Small.png

You are looking to make a plastic for above the four posts? Sounds like a cool idea. I'd be in for one depending on price.

2 months later
#185 8 years ago

Curious to find out if anyone has had any issues with the newton ball mod? I haven't and am still loving it, but some people probably get to play more than I do these days.

1 year later
#192 7 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

That nut fits those posts (the incorrect posts) but it's too small for the newton ball. I spose I'll call Mezel in the morning. I'm sure they'll make it all good.

The nut for the Newton post should be a #10 and I think the individual posts are #8s. The Newton ball thru the bracket is really what holds it all together. I worked on the original design and we had shorter posts for the 4 and they work fine as they are just meant to stabilize the position of the bracket. Looks like he changed up some parts from the original (which look better).

I can tell you that once you have it all together, it is well worth it.

1 month later
#198 6 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Got mine done. AWESOME MOD! Gameplay is so much better now.

Thanks for posting about this in both threads. You made me smile and that is all I ever really wanted. To me, this is the missing piece that truly makes this game great. One day, I hope Borg plays one with the mod. I would love to hear what he thinks.

1 year later
#204 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Try reaching out to Mezel mods. I'm sure they will make it right.

He will send you a new one, I'm sure of it. I worked on the design of this and I can say that those posts kinda work, but now you have four nubs sticking out the top of the guard that sits on top. This makes it a bit harder to put a figure or statue instead of the screws that work on the supplied posts. Feel free to change it up though if you want.

The posts are there more for stability and to keep the tiny ball in place. The newton ball itself keeps the piece from sliding back down below the playfield. You can even put a washer below the newton ball to prevent airballs (I have never had any myself, but others have. Sorry you had a bad time with it so far, but it is worth it.

5 months later
#207 5 years ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

Hi. What does a shipment cost to Spain? regards

You'd have to reach out to MezelMods via his website. I don't make these.

3 months later
#210 4 years ago
Quoted from tetsuos:

I finally got a replacement original Wolverine bash toy/figure to put on top of the Newton ball assembly (almost $150 in parts and shipping), and I don't want to make any mistakes with this.
I'm wondering if anyone that did this 2-3 years ago has any long-term feedback on the durability or ideal mounting method. Is it better to fill up the hollow toy with some expanding foam to prevent cracking from air balls, or would that make it worse? Any stock parts recommended for attaching Wolverine to the base? How about the correct cutting point (at the belt) and appropriate/safest tool to use?

Get the belt guard if you are going to use the bash toy. It should protect it from cracking.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider judremy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-le-wolverine-newton-bracket-by-mezelmods?tu=judremy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.