IMG_9287 (resized).JPG
IMG_9285 (resized).JPG
20150117_pinball_0034_(resized).jpg
20150117_pinball_0013_(resized).JPG
20150117_pinball_0012_(resized).JPG
wolverine_Small.png
14452782287611835352940.jpg
image_3.jpg
There are 213 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Anyone else having problems with the mounting bracket fitting too tight? No matter how I adjust the switch it is always closed when I put the bracket is because it is such a tight fit.

You can put washers between the switch and the plastic bracket before screwing the switch into the bracket. This may space it out A bit better.

#102 8 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

You can put washers between the switch and the plastic bracket before screwing the switch into the bracket. This may space it out A bit better.

After it was installed, you can use a screwdriver or your finger to bend it just a bit for clearance.

#103 8 years ago

I got it working. I tried several things but still did not have enough space. I filed the groove in the back of the bracket down a couple of mm and now it's working great.

#104 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I got it working. I tried several things but still did not have enough space. I filed the groove in the back of the bracket down a couple of mm and now it's working great.

On the original one, I think the guy who made the file did that because our switches were set back a bit. To be honest, that part could probably be brought in a bit to align with the back where you insert the screws. Hard to say as I have not seen the final switch that Mezelmods includes. I am willing to offer any help I can. I really feel this makes the game play better. Just be sure to give it the pop bumper test (should not trigger when pop is activated).

Jeremy

#105 8 years ago

I found it very easy to install, it is a tight fit. I would suggest maybe before the install, increase the spacing on the contact points.

#106 8 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

I found it very easy to install, it is a tight fit. I would suggest maybe before the install, increase the spacing on the contact points.

This is definitely suggested. It's a little trial and error. You can get it to stay up with just the newton ball installed an probably a single post to test the spacing.

#107 8 years ago

Is there any substantial savings to not purchasing the kit and instead just buying the bracket? I plan on adding the mod to my LE and just purchased the resin bust Wolverine figure that others have mentioned here.

#108 8 years ago

The install was extremely easy. Getting the switch right was the only pain. Mine would not adjust to were the switch was open no matter what I did to the switch because it fit so snug. I tried several times will no luck. After filing the back down it now works great. No trouble with the pops registering hits and any solid hit to the ball registers every time. The game play is much better with this mod. The beast, left nightcrawler, and Xavier shots are a lot more open but the wolverine shot is a lot smaller.

What is everyone using to attach the figures to the top mounting bracket? I'm going to pick out a couple to try today on amazon.

#109 8 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

If you buy some museum putty (quake putty), you can put a small amount on the bottom and it will stick great and you won't be able to see it.

Never mind, found what to use to attach a figure. I just need to learn how to read apparently

1 week later
#110 8 years ago

Anyone else care to share pics of their setup? Love to see the changes people have made if any. Also hoping to see more videos.

#111 8 years ago

has any pro owners ever installed this mod ?

#112 8 years ago
Quoted from whisper:

has any pro owners ever installed this mod ?

I was the one who helped make this part and own a Pro. It works great and was actually made to work with both machines.

#113 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

found what to use to attach a figure

So what are people using?

#114 8 years ago
Quoted from Asylum:

Quoted from Asylum:

He quoted it. Quake putty. Simple and you don't need much.

#115 8 years ago

Thank you!

#116 8 years ago

Edited the title, it also fits the Pro!

#117 8 years ago

I wanted to post a note to thank you all the guys for the awesome work / R&D that you put in to make the newton ball kit for Xmen.

I ordered it a couple weeks ago from Mezelmods and got it installed last week. Wow. What a difference it makes. I really liked the game before, but I was always annoyed by the Wolverine toy. It was too big and affected both the Xavier and Beast shots in ways that seemed so stupid.

And moreover, on my game, I could never get the switch just right. It either would be too far apart and not register 1/2 of the solid hits, or be so sensitive that BACKWARDS hits coming around from Phoenix to Beast would trigger a Wolvie hit. It annoyed me so much that I had stopped playing the game much. Still loved the code and most of the shots, but when one flaw sticks out for me I get frustrated.

Now the Beast (and Gambit) and Xavier shots are so makeable, and smooth. Wolvie is a tad harder to hit - not by much as any reasonably aimed shot will nail it - but just enough to stop the "free" Wolvie hits which incessantly started his multiball (often when I didn't want it to) or gave too easy combos. Right now I am back in love with the game. Great call outs, music, deep and fun rules, awesome lighting.

Overall, the install had a few snags to it (my game is an LE). It is not quite as easy as the instructions make it out to be. I had to cut the wires for the wolverine light (the light that is supposed to go off in his head but never does). I couldn't take the old mechanism off without cutting these wires. Second, there was an odd cross brace piece under the Wolverine that forced me to disassemble most of the Wolvie mech under the playfield (it would not pull up otherwise). In short, I could not just take the 4 screws out and then pull the whole mechanism out. Third, I had to solder the wires to the new switch. Fourth, as others have noted, the new switch was a bit too tight. But with some sanding and bending, everything seems to be working out perfect. The point is, this is not a basic "plug and play" mod - there is a bit of work that is needed. Nothing that any average pin owner should not be used to. Overall, it took me about 1 hour to get things all set up. The beauty is that now, I have my game exactly how I want it to play.

I know you guys did this work as a labour of love, not for money. For that you guys deserve a lot of credit. You have designed something that makes my game exactly the way I wanted it to play, and most importantly made it very fun again to me - what pin should be all about.

#118 8 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Well I got the paperweight Wolvie removed from his base, but boy was he stuck good. I cradled his back in my right palm and then with my left hand put downward pressure above the X on the front of the base...kinda giving the entire base an upward twisting pressure. When it finally broke loose Wolvie went flying out of my hand, but luckily he landed on my couch. When he snapped off I figured for sure he had broken in the wrong place.
Mine looks a bit sloppier on the base, but I'm sure some sanding will smooth that out.

IMG_1692.jpg

he comes apart nice with just a hack saw. the main issue you will have is how brittle he is, and will not survive many ball hits.

4 weeks later
#119 8 years ago

Anyone take pictures of their installs? I am curious to see what people came up with? I have noticed people adding a washer UNDER the newton ball to raise it up slightly. Anyone else do this?

#120 8 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Anyone take pictures of their installs? I am curious to see what people came up with? I have noticed people adding a washer UNDER the newton ball to raise it up slightly. Anyone else do this?

i did this more to distribute the force when tightening the ball down. my first thought was how much abuse the bracket would take and if it would hold up over time. I also have installed #8 longer posts instead of the provided #6 posts, drilled out the back of the bracket and tightened everything down with washers and nylon lock nuts. I didn't like that the thought was to thread the posts that were smaller than the wood hole just into a plastic bracket and expect it to hold up over time? i guess i'm a pessimist.

The kit is awesome and how i have it set up (dorked around with the leaves of the switch) it's just as sensitive as the original version, but smaller so you can shoot beast and xavier with a reasonable shot and not get goal tended.

-c

#121 8 years ago

I absolutely love it. Thank you to Mezelmods and the guys that helped develop this. Thanks to you guys I've fallen in love with the machine again. I never hated big Wolvie, but it was definitely an annoyance and probably contributed to me getting lukewarm on the game for awhile. Now it is back at the top of my favorites list.

The newton ball is just so damn satisfying to hit..more than Wolverine ever was. Not to mention the biggest issue that I had is now gone. On my machine any time Magneto would start with all 4 balls, unless they were grouped just perfectly, they would hit Wolverine with every rotation completely ruining the effect. Now no matter how they lump together, they spin beautifully. Add to that the Beast shot which now flows perfectly plus Xavier being a bit more open (I still suck at this shot, LOL), and the game plays how it should have all along.

My only complaint is that I wish the playfield artwork would match in better. There is bare wood showing in an odd shape now without the big Wolverine to cover it. I really hope someone makes a nice cover-up decal someday. But really that's a minor complaint in the grand scheme of things.

I currently have a super cheap small figure on mine. I hope to find something nicer soon, but for now it is fine. I thought the difference in scale between him and Magneto would bother me, but it really doesn't. If anything the small Wolverine looks better overall and makes it less cluttered feeling. I look at it as Magneto looming over the machine, much like the villain usually does on a movie poster or something like that.

Again, thank you so very much to Mezelmods and everyone else behind this mod. I never would have imagined that this one mod could make such a huge difference in my enjoyment of the game...especially since I never hated Wolverine like some people did!

image1.JPGimage1.JPG
IMG_1438.JPGIMG_1438.JPG

#122 8 years ago

Done!

image.jpgimage.jpg
image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg
image_2.jpgimage_2.jpg

#123 8 years ago

That looks sick well played!!! I rotated the pics for ya.

#124 8 years ago

Thanks Dude! Wait until you see what I did to Magneto! More pics to follow.

#125 8 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

Done!
image.jpg
image_1.jpg
image_2.jpg

That is sweet, I have seen allot done and this by far looks the best! I would buy it.

#126 8 years ago

First off, a big thanks to all that posted pics of their Newton Balled X-Men. I really am glad I could help make this machine better for those of you that had the same problems with it that I did. Some of the ideas people have shown are great (including the Wolverine with light-up eyes).

Does anyone know of someone that can make decals and has a graphic background? I do agree that a decal would complete the package, but you would have to make two for the different cut-out areas (Pro & LE); however, they could share the same art. If someone can remember to take a picture (or even better, a scan) of the area when they have their Wolverine figure out along with measurements of the area, that may help this get going. At the very least, you could make an all blue (matching the playfield) decal that would go around the cut-outs. It may only need to expand the Gambit throwing card art slightly and maybe the electrical lines coming from the Magneto magnet. Anyone up for the task?

#127 8 years ago

Awesome work PiperPinball
cannot wait to see Magneto

#128 8 years ago

Just curious if there are any owners in my area who have the mod that I can see it and try it out?

Mid-Maryland

Thanks.

#129 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Just curious if there are any owners in my area who have the mod that I can see it and try it out?
Mid-Maryland
Thanks.

Just wanted to chime in and say that you should go for this kit. It really does change the game in very positive ways. If you don't like it, you can reverse the installation and sell your kit to someone else (but I doubt you will.)

#130 8 years ago

Magneto done!

His blue LED eyes are not this bright.

Now onto Cyclops!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#131 8 years ago

After my Wolverine finally broke I decided to try this mod.
So far I am preferring it to the Mezel belt mod.
It opens up the Beast shot and doesn't interfere with the Magneto multiball start.
I altered broken Wolvie by cutting off the belt and made a L shaped bracket to keep him on the newton mod.
20150827_151752.jpg20150827_151752.jpg

#132 8 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

It opens up the Beast shot and doesn't interfere with the Magneto multiball start.
I altered broken Wolvie by cutting off the belt and made a L shaped bracket to keep him on the newton mod.
20150827_151752.jpg

that looks good!

#133 8 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

20150827_151752.jpg

If I ever go back to the large figures, I may have to cut the belt off mine too. Nice work!

Can you take a picture of where and how you mounted the L-bracket and the size?

#134 8 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

I altered broken Wolvie by cutting off the belt and made a L shaped bracket to keep him on the newton mod

Cool. That's what I was going to do too ... Just haven't got around to it.

Hey, it's only been a year. Good things take time.

rd

#135 8 years ago

I was thinking of something like this too but I didn't want to cut up my Wolvie. He isn't broken yet.

#136 8 years ago

I used some scrap .025" or almost 1/32" aluminum cut from a sheet and bent it to fit just above the mod to allow him to bobble a little.
Luckily I had some of the flat left on his back to mount it using #6 screws.
20150827_200022.jpg20150827_200022.jpg20150827_200340.jpg20150827_200340.jpg

#137 8 years ago

20150827_202844.jpg20150827_202844.jpg

#138 8 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

I used some scrap .025" or almost 1/32" aluminum cut from a sheet and bent it to fit just above the mod to allow him to bobble a little.
Luckily I had some of the flat left on his back to mount it using #6 screws.
20150827_200022.jpg 20150827_200340.jpg

Nice work!

#139 8 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

20150827_202844.jpg

You should put and led strip in him so when you hot the Newton ball it lights up.

#140 8 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

You should put and led strip in him so when you hot the Newton ball it lights up.

What can I safely hook a light up to?
Will patching it to the newton switch work without problem?

Wolverine originally had a light in his head but it never turns on except in test mode.

#141 8 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

Wolverine originally had a light in his head but it never turns on except in test mode.

I will figure it out for you next week.

#142 8 years ago

Keep the original figure and use the captive ball. Eureka!

#143 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballTiger225:

Keep the original figure and use the captive ball. Eureka!

I have met several people that have been through 3 or 4 Wolvies. I bet there is folks on here that would sell them for cheap so you can cut the belt off. Then I can make a lighting kit for it.

#144 8 years ago

Hey hey everyone! Just got my Newton kit today, and I'm having...issues.

The bracket plastic was VERY tight for me to get into place. I had to hammer it in to get it flush. With the switch attached to it, I had almost no wiggle room to fit everything in. Once I installed everything, sure enough, wolvie wasn't registering any hits at all, and no matter how I moved or fiddled with the switch, nothing registered.

Also, it said in the instructions to use the old wolvie switch in the ew bracket, so I did an the old wolvie switch was taller than the plastic cover...anyone else have this issue?

// Error: Image 445215 not found //[attachment=2645926,undefined caption="image.jpg"]

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

image_2.jpgimage_2.jpg

#145 8 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

The flasher in the Wolverine insert goes off when you hit him. You could reroute those wires into the head with a flasher LED using the flat flex head.

#146 8 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

The bracket plastic was VERY tight for me to get into place. I had to hammer it in to get it flush. With the switch attached to it, I had almost no wiggle room to fit everything in. Once I installed everything, sure enough, wolvie wasn't registering any hits at all, and no matter how I moved or fiddled with the switch, nothing registered.
Also, it said in the instructions to use the old wolvie switch in the ew bracket, so I did an the old wolvie switch was taller than the plastic cover...anyone else have this issue?
[attachment=2645926,undefined caption="image.jpg"]

The instructions need to be updated to use the new switch. I don't think the Wolverine switch works. I will let someone who bought the package answer though.

#147 8 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

[attachment=2645926,undefined caption="image.jpg"]

image_1.jpg image_2.jpg

The newton kit should have included a new switch to use if recently purchased.

#148 8 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

The flasher in the Wolverine insert goes off when you hit him. You could reroute those wires into the head with a flasher LED using the flat flex head.

Sounds like a plan!
Hopefully I have some 12v led strips.

#149 8 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

The newton kit should have included a new switch to use if recently purchased.

Quoted from judremy:

The instructions need to be updated to use the new switch. I don't think the Wolverine switch works. I will let someone who bought the package answer though.

Switched them out. Same result. There's not even enough room to create a gap for the leafs in either switch configuration. Even when I part and contact them manually during gameplay, nothing happens. Wires are connected underneath play field and everything....I don't know what the issue is here, but this kit is getting pretty beat up from me having to take everything out and reinstall it so many times.

#150 8 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

Switched them out. Same result. There's not even enough room to create a gap for the leafs in either switch configuration. Even when I part and contact them manually during gameplay, nothing happens. Wires are connected underneath play field and everything....I don't know what the issue is here, but this kit is getting pretty beat up from me having to take everything out and reinstall it so many times.

Let's see where we are:

Can you provide pics of how it looks below playfield? I think someone said they closed the gap and had it work so it registered when it opened instead of closing. I assume after you soldered the connections to the new points, you remembered to hookup the connector under the playfield? I really want to see what we are working with here as I haven't heard of any problems like this before.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

There are 213 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-le-wolverine-newton-bracket-by-mezelmods/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.