Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Pdxmonkey
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I'm considering selling my mint guns n roses in order to fund a NIB X-Men LE, I never thought it would happen but if I have to hear "Welcome to the Jungle" one more time I will tear my own ears off. I really enjoy the X-Men Pro at my local arcade and have sunk about 8 hours into it over the course of a month or so. I feel like going all out and getting a Magneto LE for the extra toys and because I really love the artwork and the color changing GI.

I've been browsing the X-Men threads and I'm concerned about what looks like a large amount of issues with this pin. From clear coat peeling, aux boards blowing, to the whole wolverine figure situation, I feel like I'm signing up for a nightmare of a time even tho I'll be spending 9000 AUD on it.

Are the LE's really as bad as these forum threads lead a potential buyer to believe, or is it just a small percentage of owners posting problems?

#2 10 years ago

I have had mine for 8+ months. Even had it on location for 6 months. NO problems other than Wolverine breaking. The irony of the Aux board is I had to swap it with my ACDC because it kept blowing the transistor for the bell magnet. Been solid since I put Xmen's aux board in it.

#3 10 years ago

So far on my Wolverine, bad trough switch #4 this happens on 1 in 10 Stern pins I buy as a dealer. Had to adjust black bird switch, would dump ball out but not score. Wolverine arm fell off, should be coming soon. Aux. board failure almost cooked my playfield (keep a can of freeze spray or air duster inverted to cool off the magnet), Distributor part only which I have to pay shipping both ways in Canada. Ramp screw plastic extender (cover) came off early on, I plastic tie wrapped it. My left night crawler had a defective metal top plate that the plastic screws onto, chipped my playfield. Stern is suppose to warranty this (still waiting), & I complained that the finish on the playfield looked less than the pro's they produce (had one & it played faster). I compared it to my AC/DC BIB LE, & Rolling Stones LE. Might of lost my lighting in Magneto, & the start button has never been lit since it came out of the box.

I really like my pin & will probably keep it. Never had a problem with registering hits on Wolverine. There is still stock of NIB in Canada, both LE's at Cineplex Starburst (Toronto).

If Stern is watching this I'm still not happy as a Canadian Dealer fixing pins for free out of the box, or after being played briefly. Then I get screwed further with having to pay for shipping both ways if it goes through my distributor. Their return defective part for credit in 30 days to the distributor is really annoying, & I continue to state my frustrations over the above. As usual I will let Stern know again my displeasure at Expo, about quality issues.

#4 10 years ago

I had an xmen wolverine for about 8 mos. the biggest issue is the aux board. If you leave the wolverine alone you'll be fine there; but if you relocate you may open a can of worms. The Rest of the game is solid. I recently just got an xmen pro and prefer its gameplay over the LE. Spend $250-500 in mods and you're golden. Oh you'll want to do the ramp post mod too; prob cost like $20.

If you've been enjoying a pro on location, why get the LE?

#5 10 years ago

My reasoning was along the lines of "wow if I like the pro this much, I'll love the LE". Not to keen on the moving ramp, but really like the spinning disc and the looks. Have only played a Wolverine for about 5 minutes tho.

#6 10 years ago

I have not had one issue with mine since opened out of box. Best Stern made-IMO

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Alias:

My reasoning was along the lines of "wow if I like the pro this much, I'll love the LE". Not to keen on the moving ramp, but really like the spinning disc and the looks. Have only played a Wolverine for about 5 minutes tho.

The spinning disk and light show are awesome! Moving ramp and NCs, not so much.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

The spinning disk and light show are awesome! Moving ramp and NCs, not so much.

Whats the issue with the NCs? Have fond memories of the trolls in Medieval Madness, are these pop ups just a nuisance?

#9 10 years ago

This is our 3rd day of owning Xmen Magneto.
I expected more problems...this has been another great NIB experience (first was Tron LE).

Game needed no dialing in,
Beast shot not obstructed by Wolverine,
The voices and callouts are actually great in home play, even Beast, I love Storm too ,
Ice Man ramp is fun and adds a lot to the gameplay,
Spinning disc is great fun, very random and dangerous.
Nightcrawlers are cooler than I expected, you don't see them too often to get old and they have little shakers in them or something to make them vibrate!
And no sign of the auxillary board frying the magnet yet (fingers crossed).

About 3 times the features of Tron, great custom callouts and dots, UNBELIEVABLE combos and flow (even more so with the Ice Man ramp on the LE). The Magneto and Wolverine figures look just fine in person. The gameplay is challenging yet not impossible.

Stern has to be shaking their head with this game.. The code killed the fun of this game early on I guess, and it never recovered with the pinball community. Borg did great with this game. Hopefully the code keeps coming back better and better

Absolutely no regrets in picking up the LE!

#10 10 years ago

I've never had one issue with how the NCs are implemented. They are Cleverly implanted during Danger Room as well. I know some guys don't like them, but I have never had an issue with them....especially with the Hemi mod. Light show is 2nd to none on the LE IMO, because Avengers is so dark that it's hard to see anything due to no white light.

IF you have an aux board issue, it's as simple as asking Stern for a replacement and send your old one off. Once you switch in the new board, you'll never have an issue again.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Alias:

Whats the issue with the NCs? Have fond memories of the trolls in Medieval Madness, are these pop ups just a nuisance?

They are great, it's hard to earn a Nightcrawler mode. They have cool sound effects and even vibrate in place, shaking the playfield.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Alias:

I never thought it would happen but if I have to hear "Welcome to the Jungle" one more time I will tear my own ears off.

This is why I say "don't buy music pins"

#13 10 years ago

I had my first problem tonight with my XMEN-LE. The screw on the one-way gate behind Magneto came off and it moved and trapped a ball. I now have to find the screw. I never had an Aux board problem and I got an advanced replacement one from Stern before it became a problem. Only cost me shipping of the old one back. I did have one other problem in that a pop bumper was just too sensitive and was firing when the ball was launched and when the shaker would go off but a friend of mine fixed it for me. Otherwise the kids and I are really enjoying it and I'm about to order some of the light mods for it.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Alias:

They just don't feel as smoothe as the trolls. The trolls have a little recoil and don't pop up in an annoying matter. There's modes where NC goes nuts and its just annoying as hell. And they just feel too much in an already busy and tight pf. I absolutely love the yellow insert NC on the pro.

Quoted from jathomp22:

I had my first problem tonight with my XMEN-LE. The screw on the one-way gate behind Magneto came off and it moved and trapped a ball. I now have to find the screw. I never had an Aux board problem and I got an advanced replacement one from Stern before it became a problem. Only cost me shipping of the old one back. I did have one other problem in that a pop bumper was just too sensitive and was firing when the ball was launched and when the shaker would go off but a friend of mine fixed it for me. Otherwise the kids and I are really enjoying it and I'm about to order some of the light mods for it.

I had a shaker in my LE and pro. I'm almost convinced this is one game that doesn't really need a shaker.

#15 10 years ago

My Wolverine hasn't had any major problems, knock on wood. All I've done since taking it out of the box is reposition the Wolverine figure to be closer to center behind the magnet, and add a Mantis hole protector. The new software is very good IMO, and has provided the best magneto multiball start show so far.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Tseamans:

This is why I say "don't buy music pins"

Do you also say "Only buy EMs"? Cuz all modern pins have finite music tracks.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Do you also say "Only buy EMs"? Cuz all modern pins have finite music tracks.

9 months of ACDC. Still love it! I could see a repetitive soundtrack with vocals to get irritating. Kinda like smash mouth in shrek. The problem is 'catchy' lyrics can be found to be more annoying than just a simple musical melody (woz is the exception ). I fear this with MET; song integration gets a little repetitive. this is why I would have loved to see Orion, call of ktulu, or to live is to die play a role in the bg music of met. Time will tell on this one.

#18 10 years ago

Just purchased a Wolverine LE #123... Absolutely love the game and I believe the artwork and mirrored backglass are among the best I have ever seen. I would not hesitate to jump on a good deal if you find one. Paying a premium at this point should not be necessary, but if you like the game, I would not wait too long. I really believe this pin has some great upside and loads of long term potential.

Zero build quality issues here.

Post edited by Speed

#19 10 years ago

I had minor QC issues with my Magneto LE (magneto switch sticking, e-clip added, moved wolvie over). Have not had any board issues yet.

I love mine. It's a great game. Fun, fast, a ton of modes, great sounds, dots, music, etc.

And I think the LE features are awesome. Spinner is subtle but great addition, especially for Magneto MB. Love the light show. Iceman ramp is solid now. NCs are great fun to hit and are well incorporated into the rules. Too bad 1.3 is a limited edition code.

Personally I think the NCs make the LE. I would feel like I was missing too much with the pro. For sure with the great deals on LEs that are out there.

#20 10 years ago

As one of the most vocal X-MEN LE defenders I say go for it, and as with any pin try not to pay more then you need to. I love the game, but my lineup changes from time to time so I do not own it anymore. I sold it and replaced it with AC/DC prem, and added JP for the second time to replace the third flipper game at a lower cost. That being said X-MEN LE is one of my favorite games of all time.... they all get boring in a 5 to 10 game collection in my opinion. In the end who cares what others think.

PS.... the quality of the game is sub par IMHO. X-MEN LE requires more attention then most new games.

#21 10 years ago

I believe the build quality is right up there with the best of them and the game feels solid for sure,I also received a rev B aux board but had no issues with my orginal,I just always felt like I was playing a bomb that could go any time so I am now good to go.
I have never had any trouble with my game,not one screw or bulb

#22 10 years ago

I had two failed aux boards but the third worked great.
The posts near the ramps do much better when replaced with sleeves.
The magneto lock came flying out but loctite solved that.
E-clip on magneto motor.
Wolverine needed adjusting due to the iceman ramp not being able to hit the switch.
Rethread the leg bolt taps as they strip easy.
Those were my issues but all were easily corrected.

The layout for the game is pretty sweet.
And the code is finally going somewhere but still far from polished IMO.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 549.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-le-build-quality and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.