• Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC09193.JPG
X-Men_LE_Wiring_Harness.png
#1 10 years ago

So my aux board went out and stern shipped me out a new one. My question is it came with a secondary harness that looks to just plug in to the old one and then into the board. But one of the 4 connectors is not the right number of pins to do this. Does this completely replace the old harness? Where does this go or how does this hook up? Just looking for a few words of wisdom from someone has already done this repair. A pic would be wonderful but probably not necessary if description is good.

Thanks for all your help

#2 10 years ago

I wanted to ask you how long your aux board was working OK before it crapped out?

I'm wondering if I got a good one or if I just haven't played enough to tell.

#3 10 years ago

I cant remember for sure, but I do not remember the connections being any different.

#4 10 years ago

Could you post a pic of the new one?

#6 10 years ago

the longer non keyed side of the board and connector do not match up to the new harness.

Did anyone else get a seperate harness or did the new board hook into the old harness as is?

#7 10 years ago

The pictures were confusing to me. The board should snap in without any harness changes. I'd just swap boards and ignore any wiring they sent v

#8 10 years ago

ok thank you markmon. I just did not want to do that if there was another procedure.

Will hook it up with old harness new board. It was just odd it came with another harness that matched some of the same connectors. This could have just been sent in the same box by mistake.

Thanks for the help

#9 10 years ago

Can you tell me what colour wire is going to pin10 50v on J2 of the Aux board on your game,I am having problems with mine where the F7 fuse light on the I/O board is still alight with the fuse removed and I'm wondering if this harness is a Stern solution

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The pictures were confusing to me. The board should snap in without any harness changes. I'd just swap boards and ignore any wiring they sent v

Don't do this!!!! I did this and ended up getting another Aux Board sent to me!

Install the harness.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

ok thank you markmon. I just did not want to do that if there was another procedure.
Will hook it up with old harness new board. It was just odd it came with another harness that matched some of the same connectors. This could have just been sent in the same box by mistake.
Thanks for the help

If you want pm me and I can tell you how to connect it. I went through 4 aux boards before getting the wiring harness and that fixed it.

#12 10 years ago

What does the wiring harness have to do with the aux boards? Seriously? I think you were just unlucky. The board pinouts haven't changed.

#13 10 years ago

Marking post. I have ordered Aux rev. B pcb. It has not arrived as of 5/1/2013.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

What does the wiring harness have to do with the aux boards? Seriously? I think you were just unlucky. The board pinouts haven't changed.

I installed it a few months back so I don't remember exactly what Chas said it does, but it doesn't replace the existing cable. You connect this new cable to J10 on the CPU (or was it power? Top left board anyway) and to the existing cable and into the Aux board. He told me something like it bypassed the area that was causing the problems with the magnets and the nightcrawlers.

When I got it shipped with my 4th aux board I looked at it and thought it was just a replacement cable so I didn't install it - mistake.

#15 10 years ago

So the aux boards, themselves, are basically the same. Shouldn't we all be getting these cables?

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

So the aux boards, themselves, are basically the same. Shouldn't we all be getting these cables?

The last two Aux boards I burned up I never even played a game. I did the following:
- Tested the transistors on the new Aux board – all good.
- Check resistance on the new Magneto magnet – 4.5 ohms
- Install the new magnet and new Aux board.
- Power up X-men Magneto and go into diagnostics
- Run tests 1-3 OK, and test #4 Magneto magnet fires the magnet, but the right Night-Crawler popped up (left one was already up)
- Power down and test the transistors on the Aux board. Q2 and Q7 are shorted.
- Power up and eject balls. Lift playfield and test fuses. 2 3A fuses are blown. Remove.
- Test magneto magnet – still 4.5 ohms.
- Lower playfield.
- Retest Aux Board transistors and now see that Q2, Q3, Q7 and Q8 are shorted.

Then after I put in the new wiring harness with new aux board no more problems.

So, I don't know if I had a *special* problem or if everyone should get the extra wiring harness.

#17 10 years ago

Very interesting analysis. What I'm saying is that if a harness solves problems, it seems that everyone with an xmen should get a harness - new aux board or not. The new vs old aux boards are the same pin outs. So if this cabling does something to prevent the issue on a new aux board, it should do the same to protect an older one. I'm curious about this so I am going to see if stern can chime in.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from lost8ball:

The last two Aux boards I burned up I never even played a game. I did the following:
- Tested the transistors on the new Aux board – all good.
- Check resistance on the new Magneto magnet – 4.5 ohms
- Install the new magnet and new Aux board.
- Power up X-men Magneto and go into diagnostics
- Run tests 1-3 OK, and test #4 Magneto magnet fires the magnet, but the right Night-Crawler popped up (left one was already up)
- Power down and test the transistors on the Aux board. Q2 and Q7 are shorted.
- Power up and eject balls. Lift playfield and test fuses. 2 3A fuses are blown. Remove.
- Test magneto magnet – still 4.5 ohms.
- Lower playfield.
- Retest Aux Board transistors and now see that Q2, Q3, Q7 and Q8 are shorted.
Then after I put in the new wiring harness with new aux board no more problems.
So, I don't know if I had a *special* problem or if everyone should get the extra wiring harness.

Yes I am having the same problem,one thing I have noticed compared to the manual and other games that use the Aux board the 50v wire to J2 pin 10 on the aux pcb is wrong

#19 10 years ago

The nightcrawler coil blew my new board on the coil test before even playing it with the new board. I would suggest that might be the problem. I think others have said that the magneto magnet destroyed their board.
But either way Stern is standing behind them 100%. It looks like they got some bad parts from their suppliers for the magnet and NC coil, and those caused the aux board to fry. At least its easy to do the labor to fix it when Stern gives you the new parts. When you get your new board run a coil test before playing. That way you will find out what the bad part is that causes the board to fry.
Fix and enjoy.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I'm curious about this so I am going to see if stern can chime in.

I'm with you markmon, if Stern is rerouting harnesses to fix future problems, all LE owners should get one. Seems like it should be everyone's Mod #1.

#21 10 years ago

I am curious about this as well...

#22 10 years ago

Probably too late as I installed without harness. Put into test mode and it is acting funny. =(

I do not dare play a game with NC targets up and wolv and magneto magnets not functioning. It did make my iceman ramp stay home =/

Might have to buy another board to fix right. Hope I did not cause too much harm. You would think they would send out a paper instruction set with the new harness.

Thanks for shedding some light on this issue.

#23 10 years ago

I don't want to tell you what to do, but if it was me I'd call 1-800-Kickers and talk with tech support. Explain the situation. If your aux board is bad I'd hope they'd send you a replacement rather than you having to buy one (you'll need to return the dead one on your dime).
The only reason I bought an AC/DC is because Stern took care of the issues I had on X-Men. I may not have been happy with quality control, but they do stand behind the product.

#24 10 years ago

I just sent patrick a e-mail and asked if he would send me a harness / fix for the board - or if they were doing a service bulletin on it... to many boards are failing - it can't be ignored... I don't mind if I have to pay - would rather not. However its like leaving a time bomb in my game and I would be happy to pay to get it out!

#25 10 years ago

I have had the new board in my LE for like 6 months without any issues. I did not get a new harness nor am I worried.

#26 10 years ago

After 3 boards they sent me the new harness, USE it. It came with directions ask Chas if you need help!!!

#27 10 years ago

I almost wish my aux board would screw up. It would then possibly explain my crazy Nightcrawler behavior I have always seemed to have.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-lesoftware-getting-corrupted

3 weeks later
#28 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I almost wish my aux board would screw up. It would then possibly explain my crazy Nightcrawler behavior I have always seemed to have.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-lesoftware-getting-corrupted

Mine gave out over the weekend (see the original aux board thread), so there is still hope! Distributor is having them send me new auxboard + cable. IMHO, since I thought i was in the clear for not having any problems until now (unboxed in August).. it does seem like they should just give a fix out to all LE owners (esp if a cable works on old board) vs waiting for everyone to have an issue.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Mine gave out over the weekend (see the original aux board thread), so there is still hope! Distributor is having them send me new auxboard + cable. IMHO, since I thought i was in the clear for not having any problems until now (unboxed in August).. it does seem like they should just give a fix out to all LE owners (esp if a cable works on old board) vs waiting for everyone to have an issue.

Yeah, I saw your post. I don't have any long play sessions and really don't have room to have more than 2 or 3 people over to play at a time. If my Nightcrawlers begin acting strangely at start up (as they have continued to do on the past 2 or 3 updates) I will probably give Stern a call and ask about the boards / harnesses.

I wish something would officially be done. I keep hearing people mention a service bulletin, but I think that is almost a thing of the past for them. I know they sent out different Avengers "fix kits", but nothing listed on their site. I'm sure they just wish people would stay ignorant of their many screw ups and just let it pass.

#30 10 years ago

I just installed the rev B board and harness and thought I'd report in. There were no instructions so I referred to this thread to ensure I was doing the harness correctly -- thanks for that.

My symptoms were that the NCs were erratic for a few games and then quit working. When installing the new board, I checked the fuses in the backbox and found one out and replaced it. I fired it up and all of the other AUX devices worked, but the NCs were still no worky.

A quick inspection turned up two fuses for the NCs way back on the bottom right underside of the playfield. They were *really* fried, all dark inside. Once I got them replaced, all was well.

#31 10 years ago

Crossing my fingers they used USPS and aux will be here today. I checked all my fuses, none blown. So hope I caught it early or failed safe. I guess I should resistance test the late release coils in night crawler and wolverine magnet anyway?

#32 10 years ago

Ok got the aux board and the harness yesterday. Hooked it all up, everything working well now. Mine didn't blow any fuses in the process so crossing fingers no further issues. My harness did have instructions, so smooth sailing

2 months later
#33 10 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Ok got the aux board and the harness yesterday. Hooked it all up, everything working well now. Mine didn't blow any fuses in the process so crossing fingers no further issues. My harness did have instructions, so smooth sailing

Sorry to dig up an old thread...but it made more sense than starting my own.

Does anyone have a pic of the included instructions? I just got the AUX board today, but no instructions. I just want to make sure I've got it all hooked up right...

Pete

#34 10 years ago

I think I found it...

Putting it here in case it helps anyone else.

X-Men_LE_Wiring_Harness.pngX-Men_LE_Wiring_Harness.png

#35 10 years ago

Well, I did it as pictured, and the Wolverine magnet got super-hot. Like, "I smell burning" hot.

Fannnnnnnntastic.

#36 10 years ago

Well, I did it as pictured, and the Wolverine magnet got super-hot. Like, "I smell burning" hot.
Fannnnnnnntastic.

Oh no, I put a brand new magnet in after I had my meltdown. You want me to bring my old one for ya? It should work fine.

DSC09193.JPGDSC09193.JPG

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Oh no, I put a brand new magnet in after I had my meltdown. You want me to bring my old one for ya? It should work fine.

Yeah...that looks completely functional!

#38 10 years ago

That'll buff right out. Be fine.

#39 10 years ago

Man your going to need some Novus 3 on that one!

#40 10 years ago

Looking for verification on PM wolf's posted instructions.

Does anyone have it hooked up this way without issue?

I have recieved my new aux board once again. I do not care if it is down for 6 more months.

I need to be sure this time as I do not want to mess up more stuff.

I did not recieve instructions with the first board. Just new board and seperate harness.

This time I recieved a board only no harness. Still no instructions or service bulletin on sternpinball.com

I would call them but they are seldom open when I have time to work on the machine.

Thank you all for your help

#41 10 years ago

Harness never sent but this was Patrick's e-mail to me when I asked for a modified aux board prior to getting the mag of death (not sure if this helps but its all I have)

Hi Jason,

Not all games have experienced this problem. It’s possible your game already has a modified “A” board. To verify, please check for any jumper wires on the front and back side of the board. We also have a harness available that isolates the +50V feed to 8-Transistor board (see the attachment). Please give me your mailing address and game’s serial number and I’ll send you the harness.

Regards,
Patrick

the attachment was PMwolf's service pages.

#42 10 years ago

Thank you very much. I remember them asking me which board when ordering first replacement.
Second one I asked for as a gift so I need to check which version I got.
I should have investigated more before fing up the first replacement. I thought asking for another for free was just unreasonable as it was my fault the second one died.
Thank you for your time and info. More steps in the right direction.

#43 10 years ago

Confirmed PM wolf's picture was correct for wire harness hook up with the newer B version of the aux driver board.

Updated 1.3 code and turned on lots of stacking so far so good.

FYI do to earlier mistake I also had to change out F7 fuse 4Amp Slow Blow. After second aux driver installed neither NC would go to the down position and neither magnet worked. Followed from J2 high current coils group 1 (pg10 of manual) after fuse replacement and new aux board ver B with harness all is good.

Have fun and enjoy your Xmen games

Hope some of this clears things up.

6 years later
#44 3 years ago

holy thread resurrection batman. anyone know where to get this cable ? is there a part number?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-le-aux-driver-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.