(Topic ID: 56828)

X-Men LE and Pro 1.30 pulled from Stern's website. Any theories?

By DugFreez

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 126 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by judremy
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg

There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 10 years ago

So it seems X-Men LE 1.30 and X-Men Pro 1.30 have been taken down from Stern's website. The read me files and software for both models have been reverted back to there most recent official releases (1.24 LE and 1.05 Pro).

Any theories or wild speculations on why they would do this? It really makes me wonder why 1.23 (LE) was allowed to ride for months in it's sorry state and 1.30 was pulled.

My guess is Marvel didn't like Dazzler saying "Shoot Again" in a gravelly Wolverine sounding voice so they demanded the software be pulled.

Edit: Added "kidding" face to show I was kidding.

#2 10 years ago

If correct Stern will have to give another software update sooner than expected.

#3 10 years ago

I doubt it was pulled because of 1 single call out. I'm guessing they found something major & didn't want it to be like version 1.23. I'm sure it'll be up again soon. Can't wait though!!

#4 10 years ago

I'm not a conspiracy theorist kind of guy but this seems very strange. Of course it's Xmen too. It's been a weird ride this last year. Basically 1 year since the game came out. It's an anniversary present of sorts...

Hope Stern gets the code back up on their site or releases some info on this tomorrow.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

If correct Stern will have to give another software update sooner than expected.

+1. I'd say next update is coming sooner than later!

#6 10 years ago

Dunno. They have another run of pros starting in Aug. Gary in his seminar yesterday confirmed that they're going to keep making the pro. I'm thinking they'll have the code/new code back up before the run starts

#7 10 years ago

Probably yet another update.

#8 10 years ago

Meh. I just decided "eff it" and asked Stern directly on thier FB page why they took them down. Let's see how that goes over,lol!

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

Meh. I just decided "eff it" and asked Stern directly on thier FB page why they took them down. Let's see how that goes over,lol!

Their response:

we will have it back up shortly. web maintenance.

#10 10 years ago

With all of us playing the new code, I doubt they found a huge bug worthy of taking the entire update down. You would have thought the players community would have found it if it existed.

#11 10 years ago

Stern posted on Facebook it was site maintenance and will be up shortly.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from BowlingJim:

Stern posted on Facebook it was site maintenance and will be up shortly.

Yup...that's what I said!

#13 10 years ago

I'm just happy they actually replied to me quickly,lol.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

Dunno. They have another run of pros starting in Aug. Gary in his seminar yesterday confirmed that they're going to keep making the pro. I'm thinking they'll have the code/new code back up before the run starts

Having owned an LE and a pro; I'm happy to see another run of pros done. Both versions of this game are great. Game keeps getting better in my eyes. Can't go wrong with a pro purchase.

What are the chances of getting back to back awesome updates for this title within months of each other before the next run? *crossing fingers*

#15 10 years ago

If you look at the past updates they are all in 3 month intervals.

#16 10 years ago

Firstly what was the latest code for the pro and does anyone have it on a site or by file I could have?

#17 10 years ago

I'm seeing that there are a few LE wolverine magnet issues popping up lately. Any chance this new code did not play nice with the Aux board that needs to be replaced? Mine is currently out of commission right now due to this and I'm waiting for stern to get back to me. With XMen out for now it's forcing my family to play games that are not XMen and apparently that is not ok with them.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Dnt00s:

I'm seeing that there are a few LE wolverine magnet issues popping up lately. Any chance this new code did not play nice with the Aux board that needs to be replaced? Mine is currently out of commission right now due to this and I'm waiting for stern to get back to me. With XMen out for now it's forcing my family to play games that are not XMen and apparently that is not ok with them.

Yea mine went out as well shortly after the update. Still need to contact Stern or JJ on it.

#19 10 years ago

I gotta say this make absolutely no sense. There could be some validity to this if it just went 404...instead it reverts back to 1.24.

Yet all the other current games still have the latest release listed and available for DL. So during this 'web maintenance' only a single 25MB file and the readme needed to be remove to perform it?

Being in IT for the last 15 years I've never had to remove a single 25MB stand alone file to perform maintenance of any kind...for any reason

My best guess is that Marvel had an issue with maybe a character\voice\callout used in the most recent combos..and told them to remove it.

Not buying the web maintenance thing at all...

Quoted from HighNoon:

Their response:
we will have it back up shortly. web maintenance.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

I gotta say this make absolutely no sense. There could be some validity to this if it just went 404...instead it reverts back to 1.24.
Yet all the other current games still have the latest release listed and available for DL. So during this 'web maintenance' only a single 25MB file and the readme needed to be remove to perform it?
Being in IT for the last 15 years I've never had to remove a single 25MB stand alone file to perform maintenance of any kind...for any reason
My best guess is that Marvel had an issue with maybe a character\voice\callout used in the most recent combos..and told them to remove it.

I agree something dose not smell right.

#21 10 years ago

I don't know anything about those technical things, but I though X-Men being the only game effected seemed pretty fishy.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I don't know anything about those technical things, but I though X-Men being the only game effected seemed pretty fishy.

What was the last game to get an update, xmen or Metallica? If they accidentally restored HD files from an earlier date, I could see this.

Has anyone checked the website recently, has it been fixed? Posting on my phone or I'd check.

#23 10 years ago

Metallica 1.16 = 6.28
X-men 1.3 = 6.21

Quoted from Eskaybee:

What was the last game to get an update, xmen or Metallica? If they accidentally restored HD files from an earlier date, I could see this.
Has anyone checked the website recently, has it been fixed? Posting on my phone or I'd check.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Readme still is 1.05 for pro and 1.24 for LE.

#25 10 years ago

I used this URL with a script to alert me when updates were made:
http://ww.sternpinball.com/downloads/XMEN_LE_readme.txt

Notice the unusual ww in the URL, but yes that used to work. When the rollback occurred that URL stopped working and instead kicked back a 404. So I'm inclined to believe it's some kind of older backup that was restored.

What does have me curious though is why it's taking so long to put it back.

#26 10 years ago

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about it, in the "metallica 1.16 bugs/comments" thread, I noticed one day that 1.16 had been taken down and replaced with 1.06; it was fixed shortly after.

#27 10 years ago

I can think of some maintenance related causes for this. Just speculation but it could have similar symptoms:

1) hdd crashed and older backup was restored
2) they were editing that update page and messed it up: example guy used his local copy, changed something and uploaded to the server which overwrote other changes

#28 10 years ago

Gary DID say in the seminar that because of the ridiculous increase in web traffic to their site thanks to Metallica cross marketing, the website crashes all the time, so maybe something like that happened. *shrug*

#29 10 years ago

Still not changed as of today (1.05 and 1.24). This is the only game that got screwed up? And both the pro and LE codes?

Does not sound like simple maintenance issue. Its 2 days already.

Fishy fishy...

#30 10 years ago

Sure would be nice to know what is going on. Hard to believe it is just a website malfunction. Makes you think something could be wrong that may harm the machine. Would be nice to know the "official" reason.

If something is wrong, a statement would be nice. For example, "we found that 1.3 has some issues that could possibly pose a problem for the machine. At this time we suggest you revert back to 1.24 as we work to remedy the situation."

Kinda makes me not want to turn it on and play it with 1.3 installed. What is everyone else doing?

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from KillerKades:

Sure would be nice to know what is going on. Hard to believe it is just a website malfunction. Makes you think something could be wrong that may harm the machine. Would be nice to know the "official" reason.
If something is wrong, a statement would be nice. For example, "we found that 1.3 has some issues that could possibly pose a problem for the machine. At this time we suggest you revert back to 1.24 as we work to remedy the situation."
Kinda makes me not want to turn it on and play it with 1.3 installed. What is everyone else doing?

I agree!!

I've only played 1.30 once and at this point I am probably going to roll back to 1.24. It's not worth damaging my game.

#32 10 years ago

Someone else should feign ignorance and ask them on their FB what the friggin issue is. Ive already done my attempt at it,lol.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

Someone else should feign ignorance and ask them on their FB what the friggin issue is. Ive already done my attempt at it,lol.

Just falls on deaf ears or gets deleted. Sad....

#34 10 years ago

Just received an e-mail from Stern telling me that the current code is V1.05. No information about why this switch of codes. This is becoming really strange.... Trying to get back to them and asking if V1.30 is some sort of a threat or danger. Can't figure out why to go back when the game gets better....

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from matt_assassin:

Just received an e-mail from Stern telling me that the current code is V1.05. No information about why this switch of codes. This is becoming really strange.... Trying to get back to them and asking if V1.30 is some sort of a threat or danger. Can't figure out why to go back when the game gets better....

If that's the case, then they lied in saying the code was down due to maintenance.

This game is like a soap opera.

#36 10 years ago

I forgot to say that it tooks 2 days or them (STERN) to reply. I think right now the best thing is to go back to V1.05. Anyway, I have a backup of V1.30. So long for combos....

#37 10 years ago

My game is working great with 1.3. Why would you go back? If there was a serious issue I would think Stern would have issues a recall or something.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from MrBellMan:

My game is working great with 1.3. Why would you go back? If there was a serious issue I would think Stern would have issues a recall or something.

Your probably right but what is bothering me is that Stern also didn't issued anything about removing 1.3. I just figured it out by checking there site and i'm subscribed to them. Pretty weird stuff.... Does anyone have gone back to 1.05 anyway ?!?

#39 10 years ago

This is incredibly fishy now. Stern needs to be more upfront. I cannot believe the amount of INcommunication Stern has to their XM customers. I mean, would it kill someone to post something akin to: "hey X-Men owners, we are hard at work finishing up the code and got some great stuff in store for you!" or even "Sorry about the delay, but our X-Men code is taking longer than anticipated to get back up. But don't worry, We are still dedicated to updating the X-Men code in the future and will get 1.3 back up ASAP" I mean, just SOMETHING for christ's sake.

Really bad PR move for potential buyers of the next Pro run coming up who are seeing all this going on. Stern NEEDS to loosen up and start being more open and confronting of these issues. Honesty is the best policy, Stern.

and I'm sure Gary and Borg are too involved enjoying the success of MET to give XM a second thought right now. Besides, I think by now Borg isn't really responsible or involved in XM anymore, it's all the software team's "fault" for what's going on. All I gotta say is, there better be a phenomenal excuse for this whole thing....

#40 10 years ago

It's already a phenomenal mistake, only thing they could say is that a train ran in there facility and they are temporaly out of business....that i Maybe could accept as excuse....

Seriously, like u said Rcade, it's a bad hit to there next Pro production. As a owner of a Pro, hope they get some goody's code and fast....very fast....

#41 10 years ago

1.3 is good and fun code, still not complete, but very fun. Which pisses me off sometimes, because if I like XM this much with INCOMPLETE code, I can't imagine how awesome it will be to play when it's "finished", which is a shame that Stern doesn't have the same dedication to XM as some of their owners do. Reverting back to 1.24/1.05 just doesn't make sense, and THAT'S why we are OWED an honest explanation as to what's going on. Even though we have 1.3 code dl'ed already, that doesn't excuse Stern from still treating this title and it's owners like the red headed step child.

#42 10 years ago

I agree, a little communication regarding the issue would definitely be nice. Especially after many owners had to endure a rocky ride with this pin to even get to this point. I know they are probably pretty busy right now but the code being taken off the site for a while with no explanation is disappointing.

#43 10 years ago

I have 1 issue about 1.3 that bothering me ; that some text in the DMD are offsets. I dunno if it does that on previous version but I just took knowledge of it since im mad for Stern. Anyone else has it ?

It's like right now I'm more aware of any glitch to send Stern and complaint like hell....I'm a big XM fan....but my patience as limits....POTC....here I come....

#44 10 years ago

To play Devil's advocate, because I always do, it may be possibe that there is a lack of updates due to them focusing full force on all the Comicon stuff going on is week. If they just have one one person in charge of social media, then they may be too focused on SDCC stuff. Just a thought.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from matt_assassin:

I have 1 issue about 1.3 that bothering me ; that some text in the DMD are offsets. I dunno if it does that on previous version but I just took knowledge of it since im mad for Stern. Anyone else has it ?

An example would really help here.

#46 10 years ago

So who has shit the bed worse here. Waison for taking over a year to deliver finished code (and some craptastic code releases to boot), or Stern for their horrible communication, PR and QC?

#47 10 years ago

Yeah, this has to be either a Marvel thing, or maybe some sort of copied/plagerized code type of BS. There's a few video Xmen pinball games out there, any of them have modes/etc similar to the recent additions?

If it was really detrimental to machines they would for sure be saying something, it would be in THEIR interest to not have everyone calling about broken machines.

You couldn't make up something more fucked up than how this Xmen machine has played out. Great art/theme/layout, yet totally stepped on there own dicks not once, or twice. but over and over for a YEAR! LOL

Only thing I can think of is either they don't have rights to use Dazzler or Lockheed, as they were just added. Or something in the combo system is copied from other software.

#48 10 years ago

Can someone post 1.3 bin for the folks missed it please. Thanks.

#49 10 years ago

This group would have found a game killer bug by now.

If it was an IT issue it would have been fixed by now.

Its a licensing issue.

I think the bright side may turn out to be we get another update sooner than later.

Else we will get 1.31 licensing issue fixed.

#50 10 years ago

Ya I have been playing the hell out of mine with 1.3 and noticed no issues or damaging effects to the game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Coos Bay, OR
There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-le-and-pro-130-pulled-from-sterns-website-any-theories and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.