(Topic ID: 20470)

X-Men LE added to the archive

By robin

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

xmenlepola.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tigerlaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I do still think we should combine the ratings for multiple versions of a game into one Top 100 entry per game.

It is hard to say. Obviously, games like the WOZ, Adams Family and SM should all be rated as a single game as they play identical. Also, games like Tron that are nearly identical (if you take out the lighted ramps the only difference is the drop targets and a slight code difference) could be rated together fairly.

However, games like AC/DC premium and XMen have a lot of different features. In XMen the three main playfield toys are not even on the pro. Each of the last Stern LE's has been more and more different from the pro and they seem to keep making higher numbers of LE's. Also, they are making a lot of these LE's (550 of XMen, even more of AC/DC) so they are making enough to justify it having their own ranking . . . twice as many as the BBB is enough to not even call it a botique run.

Anyway, I think you go on a game by game basis for which games are merged and which games are different. As the LE's continue to get more different, it will make less sense to rate them together moving forward but you shouldn't have a hard and fast rule.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

No matter how many versions there are, the game as a whole should be treated and rated as a single effort from the manufacturer.

That kind of is my idea too.

I really think you should take it game by game. If the game play is the same or substantially the same like most LE's then of course take it as a single effort; but if the game play is totally different and there are different playfields and the price point of the game is 40% or greater different then you really can't treat them like they are the same game.

Just think if Family Guy was made during the era of LE's and the pro did not have the Stewie mini playfield . . . could you really treat that as the same game? Now, with that basis, think about AC/DC that has an extra playfield and many other features that directly impact game play. Now, with that basis, look at X-Men where the different toys are even more pronounced. The pro and LEs are getting further and further apart and their price points reflect that - they shouldn't be treated as a single effort because they are totally differnt games targeting totally different markets (at least AC/DC and X-Men are that way anyway).

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from Drano:

My only objection is that a manufacturer (like Stern) gets rewarded with a top 10 pin in the ratings for an LE that they made a couple of hundred units of, while the effort put forth by the company on the project as a whole (including the pro) is only mediocre. ACDC is a great example.
    Since Robin suggests that it's going to be a huge PITA to add the ability to break out the combined ratings to see the pro and LE scores as a sub-set, the only fair thing is to split games. But when you have such huge spread between games like TAF and TAFG, which have almost no real differences, it makes little sense. Then it becomes an arbitrary decision on which LEs are worthy of being split from the main run.

I think 550 games is a pretty reasonable number in the modern day. BBB doesn't have that many out. Neither will jpop. Many people report that some games like shrek had fewer machines than that. I hear what you are saying, but if stern didn't make a pro at all would we not rank the LE? Should we punish stern for making games affordable for rout opperators?

#24 11 years ago

Looks like the people who desire the LE's (if they are a different playfield like AC/DC and X-Men) to remain separate are in the majority by a decent number - at least in this thread (which, granted, is going to draw more people with that view since X-Men is in the title). Perhaps we should do a formal poll?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tigerlaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-le-added-to-the-archive?tu=tigerlaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.