Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 78 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by MrBellMan
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

X-Women_Free_Play.jpg
    X-Men_Rules_copy.jpg
    wolverine-x-men-6074974-1440-900.jpg
    wolverine-cassaday.jpg
    wolverine_face.jpg
    update031705_gambit.jpg
    storm-from-x-men.jpg
    iceman.jpg
    gambit.jpg
    Gambit10.jpg
    Gambit3.jpg
    DarkPhoenix.JPG
    Cyclops.jpg
    1717546-dark_phoenix_super.JPG
    rogue_instructions300.jpg
    wolverine300.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dugfreez.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 11 years ago

Great job on the cards. My only suggestions would be for better images for the Rogue and Storm instruction cards. They look......ok, but not nearly as nice as all the other images on your other cards.

Great work though. I'm looking forward to seeing which are my favorites when the game arrives.

#46 11 years ago

Thanks a lot for Rogue version 2. Much better and so far the front runner on my Wolvie LE instruction card. All of the Mystique cards would be great choices, but I think she would be better displayed on a Magneto LE.

Again...great job.

#47 11 years ago

I have to say I still don't understand the printing of these to get the right size. The last one you posted "test400.jpg" is WWaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy too small when I print it out. 4" x 2 1/8"

The others you have posted print about the right size. 5 1/2" x 3"

So what's the deal with printing out these cards? Did you miscalculate something on the 400test or am I missing something?

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

As I said, you will have to resize the image to 5.5 inches wide.

Are you saying that last card posted "400test" may have been sized down (by pinside) when it was posted on the site? If that is the case it's unstandable....but I have noticed custom cards on websites that specialize in custom card and they are still usually the wrong size.

Being sized too small is almost understandable if the site where they are posted has size limitations, but I have seem some cards that print out too big. Wouldn't it just be easier to have them sized correctly when posting them (if possable)?

Or have a universal pixed x pixel size standard for each cards depending on how many dpi they are? I'm probably being a bit critical because MS paint does not have a resize option and my picture viewing program only allows resizing by pixle and not by print size. Download and print jusy seem like it should and would be so much easier.

#52 11 years ago

OK....so jackal2001 is going to get overwelmed here.

Anyway...as I said earlier I thank you for Rogue version 2........but after figuing out how to resize your 400test above, it sure would be nice to have one of the Rogue version 2 cards done with the higher dpi like the Mystique card.

Between the 120dpi and 400dpi I couldn't tell a difference in the image (probably because it was from the same low-ish dpi source) but the text was a big improvment when printing it out. It was most noticable on the larger fonts and alot of words like "all, villains, the" seem to blur a lot of the letters together in the 120 dpi version.

So my final, humble request is a rogue_instructions2.jpg card done in the 400dpi format.

EDIT: I also just noticed there is a bit of a yellow on yellow issue on Rogue's midsection. I really like the yellow text, but another text color would fix this minor issue. Blue or white maybe? ...but to be honest....the card still looks great.

#53 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

No. I'm saying you have to resize the image. It was set at 400 dpi bit at 4" width. Resize it to 5.5" wide at 290 dpi

Thanks. I figured out how to resize the 400dpi picture in my picture viewing program to 5.5 inches so it printed out the correct size. The text does look much better after seeing the 120dpi and the 400dpi side by side. The 400dpi version keeps a lot of the letters from running together like they were in the 120dpi version.

I was just wondering why cards aren't usually posted in a "good to go" manner. Everyone knows what size the cards should print out at...yet I go to pinball rebel and download a STTNG card and it is set to print out at 8 3/4" wide. Why? The card isn't supposed to be that big....so why make it that big and EVERYONE has to resize it. Wouldn't it make much more sense (if the website will allow it) to have these cards already sized correctly? Download and print....it could be that easy.

#55 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

A lot of it has to do with the skills of the editor as well as the software he uses. In this case I'm just extremely thankful that we are getting these high quality cards. You're also right. The text was native at the higher dpi. But the graphic image came from a lower resolution source. This is why you don't see a difference on that when the image is resized.

I'm with you there. I have very limited skill at even copy and pasting. So having someone that is willing and able to do these cards is great. jackal2001

#65 11 years ago
    Quoted from jackal2001:

If you take that 400 dpi image and put it directly into MS Publisher, it is exactly 3" x 5.5". No modification needed to the size. In photoshop it reads 3" x 5.5" at 400 dpi. If it comes out the wrong size for people, too bad. I always design my cards in photoshop and then print from Publisher.
    Correct, I didn't re-do the image. I wanted to see if the text portion was better and you said it was.
    No one reads the cards anyway, it is about getting rid of the damn ugly yellow card. So I'm not worried about the yellow on yellow issue.
    I'm done messing with the cards for now. Like I said there may be an issue as my TRON LE with the metal apron needed different size cards. After I get my game, I work on them again.

I figured out how to resize the 400dpi picture to get the right size for me. I don't have photoshop or MS publisher. Just MS paint and a cheap picture viewing program. The pic downloads as 1600 pixels wide....take that at 400dpi and that figures out to 4" wide. I don't know if that is due to pinsides file limit / compression or what, but as I said...I got it resized correctly.

The image looked fine either way (120dpi or 400dpi) so that was all good. The text did look noticably better on the 400dpi when printed out. Before printing it wasn't noticable, but after the print...the text looked much better and the letters didn't seem to run together like some of them did in the lower dpi version.

I also agree on no one reading the cards. Instruction cards are pretty pointless with the complexities of modern pins. The yellow text also looks great even with the small bit of same color mixing.

I had never heard mention of the cards being different sizes on different Stern aprons. I have a Spider-Man with a metal apron and the cards that came with it are 5 1/2" x 2 15/16". So pretty much right where you have been making them.

Sorry if any of my comments, questions, requests or opinions rubbed you the wrong way. You've done a great job with the cards and think I would have my "keepers" for my Wolvie LE narrowed down to "xmen_team-2.jpg" and "rogue_instructions2.jpg" but it sure would be nice to have that Rogue card with the 400dpi text.

If I were a Mags LE owner I would go with "magneto2.jpg" and "test400.jpg".

#69 11 years ago
    Quoted from jackal2001:

Having major PC issues right now. Don't know if my vid card is dying. Arrgghh.
    Anyway, 300dpi images here.

Thanks for that.

...and good luck with the PC. Nothing stresses me out more than PC or car problems.

#70 11 years ago

That split Wolverine face pics could make for a cool instruction card / development team card combo.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dugfreez.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-free-playinstruction-cards?tu=dugfreez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.