Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 78 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by MrBellMan
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

X-Women_Free_Play.jpg
    X-Men_Rules_copy.jpg
    wolverine-x-men-6074974-1440-900.jpg
    wolverine-cassaday.jpg
    wolverine_face.jpg
    update031705_gambit.jpg
    storm-from-x-men.jpg
    iceman.jpg
    gambit.jpg
    Gambit10.jpg
    Gambit3.jpg
    DarkPhoenix.JPG
    Cyclops.jpg
    1717546-dark_phoenix_super.JPG
    rogue_instructions300.jpg
    wolverine300.jpg
    There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

Figured I would start a new topic. Did some minor work and some changes.

xmen_team-1.jpgxmen_team-1.jpg xmen_team-2.jpgxmen_team-2.jpg xmen_team-3.jpgxmen_team-3.jpg xmen_team-4.jpgxmen_team-4.jpg rogue_instructions.jpgrogue_instructions.jpg storm_instructions.jpgstorm_instructions.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Nice work Jason. Now let's see your Magneto version!

#3 11 years ago

Ya, problem is I'm not a expert at photoshop and I can't find .psd files for Magneto. I'll see what I can do later on.
    xmen_team-5.jpgxmen_team-5.jpg mystique_instructions1.jpgmystique_instructions1.jpg mystique_instructions2.jpgmystique_instructions2.jpg magneto2.jpgmagneto2.jpg mystique_instructions3.jpgmystique_instructions3.jpg

#4 11 years ago

I thought software on this pin was Lonnie Ropp?

#5 11 years ago

I like them Jason! Thanks for sharing.

#6 11 years ago

Why the hell does Rouge have a bouffant? Is that official artwork? If so, whoever drew that should be shot. Actually, if it's NOT official artwork whoever drew that should be shot as well.

Yellow text on black background = EPIC WIN.

#7 11 years ago

Imma need one with Gambit and Colossus.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

I thought software on this pin was Lonnie Ropp?

That's what I understand as well... Lonnie for wizard mode(s) and overall direction, and two guys for the main game, Cheng being only one of them?

#9 11 years ago

There are multiple people working on the software. I only put the primary.
    If I put everyone, it will look like the instruction card.

#10 11 years ago

These look awesome, but are there high res versions that will look good printed? These are only 120dpi.

#11 11 years ago

Nice work Jackal,

With the magneto instruction card what would blue look like to match her skin. Also maybe bump the quality to 300 dpi and they will be awesome.

#12 11 years ago

300DPI doesn't look any better.

#14 11 years ago

Nice job.Here's hoping(swig of beer) the game lives up to your awesome custom cards!!!Scott

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from jackal2001:

If you guys have correct images, let me know.

I'd say there are no such things as correct images -- these characters have been interpreted by hundreds of artists over decades and everybody has their preferences. If you want to get a feel for what would be considered the "comics" versions, you could try searching for some of the heavy hitter artists for X-Men: Jim Lee, Marc Silvestri, Alan Davis, Art Adams, and John Cassaday are just a few. You're doing a great job, though, and I wouldn't sweat it.

#16 11 years ago

I found a few mistakes in spelling on the instruction cards and corrected the images. If you downloaded and printed them before 7/1/12, you'll need to reprint them.
    If anyone else finds any, let me know.

This forum is also compressing the images on upload. Nothing I can do about that.

#17 11 years ago

These are fantastic. Maybe you could send them to pinball rebel.com for hosting without compression. Great work!

#18 11 years ago

What's a "pop bumber?"

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from spidey:

What's a "pop bumber?"

fixed

#20 11 years ago

What about a mystique but with yellow font like the other ones? Yellow seems more readable

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from jackal2001:

300DPI doesn't look any better.

It won't look any better if you just resize it to 300 dpi as is. But it will look a lot better if you have bigger source content and redo the text all at 300 dpi from the start. You have to print it to see the difference. It may look ok on the screen but it needs the higher resolution to print well. It's a shame because your graphics are beautiful but it's just too low res to be a viable print

#22 11 years ago

So do we print these ourselves on just a regular laser printer? What sort of paper do we use? Sorry, total noob on this issue. Thanks in advance.

#23 11 years ago

They look great, Jackal. I'm just one of those crazies that prefers the stock cards on all games. I do like how PAPA's game have the stock instruction cards and a custom PAPA card where the pricing card would normally go. I was thinking of having one designed for me and putting that in place of the pricing cards on my pins. I did some custom TSPP cards years ago and uploaded them to pinball rebel. If Ken is still taking submissions, I'd recommend uploading there for full quality.

#24 11 years ago

TigerLaw,
    I usually just print them on laser printer and then have them laminated at my local office supply store. The lamination makes them more durable and the colors really pop with the higher gloss.

Scott

#25 11 years ago

You can print them off onto photo paper. Just cut the white borders off, and they look awesome.

#26 11 years ago

Thumbs up on the Magneto rules card with blue text.

#27 11 years ago

You can get some cheap semi glossy brochure paper and print them on your laser. You won't need to laminate after. You can print on photo paper on your inkjet if that's what you have.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

It won't look any better if you just resize it to 300 dpi as is. But it will look a lot better if you have bigger source content and redo the text all at 300 dpi from the start. You have to print it to see the difference. It may look ok on the screen but it needs the higher resolution to print well. It's a shame because your graphics are beautiful but it's just too low res to be a viable print

Well I've printed cards I've made for my other pins and never changed the resolution to anything higher. All my cards came out great and the small print comes out perfect. I just print them onto "Hammermill Multi-Project Photo Paper" and they come out great. I don't bother getting them laminated. Using a HP Photo Inkjet printer.

Doesn't matter what I upload the forum is compressing it down. The larger the file I upload the more it compresses it.

#29 11 years ago

Great work! I'll be printing some up for sure.

#30 11 years ago

Props for the good work jason and thanks for pulling in my girl Mystique

Wooot wooot

I second the recommendation to send these over to pinballrebel.com where they can be hosted at a larger file size.

#31 11 years ago

Great job on the cards. My only suggestions would be for better images for the Rogue and Storm instruction cards. They look......ok, but not nearly as nice as all the other images on your other cards.

Great work though. I'm looking forward to seeing which are my favorites when the game arrives.

#32 11 years ago

Great job on the cards. My only suggestions would be for better images for the Rogue ...

rogue_instructions2.jpgrogue_instructions2.jpg

#33 11 years ago

Sweet thanks looks awesome, Great work.

#34 11 years ago

Can you possibly make the right card "designer info" have a lot of the characters mixed in, since we wont see them in the LE. Thanks it would be cool

#35 11 years ago

nice thanks!!

#36 11 years ago

Looking at my Tron LE with a metal apron, it seems the cards are a little more narrow at 2.883" instead of the plastic apron cards at 3.0".
    I think the X-Men LE comes with a metal apron. May have to trim these a little to get them to fit. Just have to wait and see.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from jackal2001:

Well I've printed cards I've made for my other pins and never changed the resolution to anything higher. All my cards came out great and the small print comes out perfect. I just print them onto "Hammermill Multi-Project Photo Paper" and they come out great. I don't bother getting them laminated. Using a HP Photo Inkjet printer.
    Doesn't matter what I upload the forum is compressing it down. The larger the file I upload the more it compresses it.

The image in the picture gets compressed but the actual jpg that is downloaded using the download link maintains resolution. The other guy has 300 dpi cards in the other xmen thread. His text prints out 100 times clearer than yours. Developed photos are considered 400dpi. 300 dpi is very good quality. 120 dpi is not. I can't make you do anything you don't want to do. Unfortunately your cards are awesome but unusable at 120 dpi

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

The image in the picture gets compressed but the actual jpg that is downloaded using the download link maintains resolution. The other guy has 300 dpi cards in the other xmen thread. His text prints out 100 times clearer than yours. Developed photos are considered 400dpi. 300 dpi is very good quality. 120 dpi is not. I can't make you do anything you don't want to do. Unfortunately your cards are awesome but unusable at 120 dpi

I can't see how you say they are unusable since I print them at 120dpi and they turn out beautiful.
    Text is fine.
    Like I said, I don't know photoshop and I don't feel like wasting time redoing all of it. If just setting it at 300dpi is a setting and it will make everything autoadjust then I can try that. I won't start from scratch.
    The download link doesn't maintain all the same quality because I compared the size of the files.

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from jackal2001:

I can't see how you say they are unusable since I print them at 120dpi and they turn out beautiful.
    Text is fine.
    Like I said, I don't know photoshop and I don't feel like wasting time redoing all of it. If just setting it at 300dpi is a setting and it will make everything autoadjust then I can try that. I won't start from scratch.
    The download link doesn't maintain all the same quality because I compared the size of the files.

No, once the images are saved at 120 DPI there's no going back. The high resolution data is simply lost and the only way to get it back is to start from 300 DPI and never save it lower. Bummer. These were beautiful.

As for 300 DPI, I am referring to say this thread: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-mods
    Look for swink's card. If you drag the image out of the browser, it is 690x376 pixels large. But if you click on the jpg and download the image, it is 1600x873 pixels large. This is what I meant by the site keeping the initial resolution on the uploads. Yours are 660x360 pixels large. That means that on the width of the image, there are only 660 dots to make up that image.

Let me also say that my comment that these are "unusable" is a bit harsh. They actually still look pretty good. But it's a shame because they could look professional quality amazing.

#40 11 years ago

You know what, it was cool of you to at least try. Thank you I like your work. im going to print your latest rouge one, that's a collectors item. Even having all the female mutants looking sexy together.

#41 11 years ago

So this one is no good?

test400.jpgtest400.jpg

#42 11 years ago

On further inspection, your text is actually clearer than Swink's at 300 DPI. His font looks upscaled. Where are you guys getting this text anyway? You are typing it in or you scanned it?

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from jackal2001:

So this one is no good?

Now we're talking! The text is crystal clear in that one and it prints way better. The Image of the girl was obviously upscaled, but that's ok. You probably had to work with whatever source image you had.

This is way better! Thank you

#44 11 years ago

The text should have no bearing as I'm typing it in photoshop and should be dynamic as I increase the DPI. I saw no difference if I were to retype it. The images I'm using would have to be re-imported but some are smaller than others.

Maybe I'll try tomorrow to re-do a few and see what happens.

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from jackal2001:

The text should have no bearing as I'm typing it in photoshop and should be dynamic as I increase the DPI. I saw no difference if I were to retype it. The images I'm using would have to be re-imported but some are smaller than others.
    Maybe I'll try tomorrow to re-do a few and see what happens.

This depends on how you increase or decrease the DPI. If you type in the text, flatten the image and save as a JPG then resize it, the text will be scaled and not increase in quality. However, if you type in the text using the text tool and leave it in its own layer, Photoshop may be intelligent enough to leave resize it into the image without scaling it.

Anyways, the quality of whatever you did shows. The changed image is massively improved. Thank you. One note, the image was 400 dpi but 4 inches wide. I resized it to 5.5 inches wide without resampling the image which reduced it to 290.9 DPI. Still plenty DPI and looks great.

#46 11 years ago

Thanks a lot for Rogue version 2. Much better and so far the front runner on my Wolvie LE instruction card. All of the Mystique cards would be great choices, but I think she would be better displayed on a Magneto LE.

Again...great job.

#47 11 years ago

I have to say I still don't understand the printing of these to get the right size. The last one you posted "test400.jpg" is WWaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy too small when I print it out. 4" x 2 1/8"

The others you have posted print about the right size. 5 1/2" x 3"

So what's the deal with printing out these cards? Did you miscalculate something on the 400test or am I missing something?

#48 11 years ago

As I said, you will have to resize the image to 5.5 inches wide.

#49 11 years ago

Not to be a total begger (and everyone has their favorite characters so this could get out of hand for you), but any chance of a Gambit being done for wolverine? And perhaps a Nightcrawler? Would be awesome!

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

As I said, you will have to resize the image to 5.5 inches wide.

Are you saying that last card posted "400test" may have been sized down (by pinside) when it was posted on the site? If that is the case it's unstandable....but I have noticed custom cards on websites that specialize in custom card and they are still usually the wrong size.

Being sized too small is almost understandable if the site where they are posted has size limitations, but I have seem some cards that print out too big. Wouldn't it just be easier to have them sized correctly when posting them (if possable)?

Or have a universal pixed x pixel size standard for each cards depending on how many dpi they are? I'm probably being a bit critical because MS paint does not have a resize option and my picture viewing program only allows resizing by pixle and not by print size. Download and print jusy seem like it should and would be so much easier.

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-free-playinstruction-cards and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.