(Topic ID: 22043)

X-Men code update

By mnpinball

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 11 years ago

I would bet on Monday or mid next week. When is papa?

#69 11 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Yeah...this makes a lot of sense. HE'S WRONG AGAIN and you are somehow throwing that in my face.?! He just made this thread to "announce" that the update would be here Friday or Monday. It's here NOW (Wednesday) and you somehow take to mean he was right again?

He just reports what his contact(s) at stern report. It doesn't mean stern folks don't change their minds. Consider this. Stern finishes the update a few days ago and sends it to Marvel for licensing approval. They say "give us a week" or "we will have the ok by Friday sometime" then they come back today with the ok. Stern doesn't hold it and releases it.

I, for one, appreciate everything mnpinball says here. He was spot on telling us about xmen before it was announced and what it would contain.

#79 11 years ago

Glad there's no villain progress. Sounds like the game would be too easy other wise. The fact that you can stack modes makes up for it. Have they done anything with the magnet? Does anyone notice magneto magnet no longer cuts off after long games (overheat)?

#90 11 years ago

I won't comment on the things most people commented on, but I am noticing a couple things no one else mentioned so far that I saw:

1) Coil pulse power is greatly reduced. I first noticed it on the kickout. This didnt slam the ball into the left flipper as hard and I can easily stop the ball on either flipper now from the kickout of the blackbird. Flipper strength is slightly reduced, and slingshot strength is slightly reduced. I really appreciate the slingshot strength being reduced. This doesn't send near as many balls to the right outlane. I am guessing that previously, the "normal pulse power" setting was being ignored and it was set to some high setting.

2) In general, ball is much easier to control. This is partly due to every coil being less strong. But also the magnets aren't throwing it around as much. Wolverine magnet only fires when needed. This is much better in my opinion. My guess is the magneto magnet won't be over heating any longer.

3) Night crawler does jiggle before moving, but sometimes chooses not to move (stays put). So I think the algorithm for Night crawler is something like: Hold for N seconds, jiggle, generate random number between 0 or 1 and if 0 go left, 1 go right. It's pretty cool.

4) The game ball times are now long. Somewhere along the lines of batman dark knight long or monster bash long or transformers long. I played two games after the update and scored ~ 35 mil on each and played for over 20 mins each. This won't be your best 2 player game. I have my pitch set to about 8. I don't think opening up the outlanes or shortening the ball time is an option here either. While the ball times are long, I haven't even gotten nearly half way to completing the game. So, it's required to have long ball times to finish this game. I don't see any way around this. I think it may make the game more approachable to newer players. I hope I don't tire of the game faster because of this, though. We will see.

5) Everything in the game feels more polished now. The game feels complete. The only indication that the game is not complete is that the xmen diagnostics menu only has one option that's not labeled.

#91 11 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Bah, I can't find my USB stick. Probably in the bottom of some random box. Can I just hook my PC up to it via USB cable? Or maybe a camera?

Haha no. Go to your local store and get a cheap USB stick and format it one partition fat32.

#104 11 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

That test runs the Iceman ramp and shows when each of it's 2 switches are activated. All of that could have already been tested in the coil test or the switch test, but it's nice to have it all there on 1 screen without the need to flip back and forth.
I would also think that giving each Nightcrawler a test like that would be helpful is diagnosing problems (bad switch, switch too sensitive, ect...).

I know, but if it had a submenu that said "iceman ramp", then I could say it's complete. But instead its a top menu "xmen tests" then all the sudden two options unexplained. Again, if they just removed that menu item altogether, I would be ok with this and still call the SW complete. This is the only thing going against it - lol.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Gerry I've got my coil pulse on Normal and it's fast and snappy as all hell. Mark may be right about the coil being a bit more chill on the scoop kickout...but honestly the slings, pops, and flippers feel the same to me.

I definitely notice the pops not being as aggressive. The slings are a totally welcomed change also. It could be that the ball isn't in the slings as often because of the magnet not tossing it around as much and that's why I just don't notice getting screwed by them as much.

#123 11 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

I am now about ready to rate this game. And it will be receiving a high number from me. Quite high.

Same here

#124 11 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

They also changed the initial voice introduction for Juggernaut mode - no longer "you mean the unstoppable juggernaut" now it's professor X telling you to remove his helmet
I am real glad that that quote is gone... to be honest I hatedtht quote to no end...
Its the one quote that sounded like total MR. Microphone clip, from a prepubescent teenager...
Bravo STERN !
You guys did great......
Alathough not quite done, you guys nailed it.. a real great effort.

It's actually not gone. I got it today. Perhaps it randomly chooses from a couple different clips?

#143 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Is flow determined by the ease of figure-8-ing two ramps?

Spiderman is more than that and you know it. I actually don't think xmen is deeper than spiderman either.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fontana, CA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-code-update?tu=markmon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.