(Topic ID: 22043)

X-Men code update

By mnpinball

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

There are 155 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 11 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

It seems like the Magneto multiball start magnet disc grab start works better.

Agreed...the balls are spinning more and hanging on the disc longer for a better effect!

#102 11 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

Good to hear, as i am picking mine up Friday....
I played the shit outta the one at CAX, on the crap code...and still loved it....
I think i will be jacking the pitch a bit and seting coil pulse to HARD...
and see how i like that....
the one at CAX seemed pretty fast to me... i would like it to stay like that..
thanks Greg..

Gerry I've got my coil pulse on Normal and it's fast and snappy as all hell. Mark may be right about the coil being a bit more chill on the scoop kickout...but honestly the slings, pops, and flippers feel the same to me.

#103 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Gerry I've got my coil pulse on Normal and it's fast and snappy as all hell. Mark may be right about the coil being a bit more chill on the scoop kickout...but honestly the slings, pops, and flippers feel the same to me.

I will try it both ways..

#104 11 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

That test runs the Iceman ramp and shows when each of it's 2 switches are activated. All of that could have already been tested in the coil test or the switch test, but it's nice to have it all there on 1 screen without the need to flip back and forth.
I would also think that giving each Nightcrawler a test like that would be helpful is diagnosing problems (bad switch, switch too sensitive, ect...).

I know, but if it had a submenu that said "iceman ramp", then I could say it's complete. But instead its a top menu "xmen tests" then all the sudden two options unexplained. Again, if they just removed that menu item altogether, I would be ok with this and still call the SW complete. This is the only thing going against it - lol.

Quoted from Rarehero:

I definitely notice the pops not being as aggressive. The slings are a totally welcomed change also. It could be that the ball isn't in the slings as often because of the magnet not tossing it around as much and that's why I just don't notice getting screwed by them as much.

#105 11 years ago

Can't wait to see update.

#106 11 years ago

A little edit ? Lots if discussion on how the rules have changed greatly ; )

#107 11 years ago

One minor complaint: they did away with the normal sound/music at the very start of the game and I LOVED that music! I wish they didn't do away with it.

Quoted from Rarehero:

No way dude, there are still so many modes....you just get to see a lot more of them per game now, which is super fun!
Basically, the hero modes are kinda easy...and the Villain modes are pretty tough. I like this set up...it seems as though Danger Room would be the reasonable wizard mode to get to...and Dark Phoenix would be the one for expert players!
I didn't mess around w/ the options, but I took a look and it seems like you can change difficulty levels and time allowed for each mode. So, if you find it too easy you can tweak it to your liking.
I'm finding the defaults to be very enjoyable & challenging!

I completely agree with this.

Easier in terms of getting to more modes...exactly what many of us were asking for. Completing the modes are still difficult regarding the villains. So many modes! Even if they aren't that hard to beat, there are so many of them that beating them all will take a great game. I'm trying to concentrate on the heroes to begin as that will be the best chance I have of getting to a wizard mode.

This pin did not have that "just one more game" pull to it with the old code. Now it does.

#108 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

One minor complaint: they did away with the normal sound/music at the very start of the game and I LOVED that music! I wish they didn't do away with it.

Could be an unintentional side effect of ditching the mandatory Magneto...let's ask for that music back as Ball 1 music!

#109 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I won't comment on the things most people commented on, but I am noticing a couple things no one else mentioned so far that I saw:
1) Coil pulse power is greatly reduced. I first noticed it on the kickout. This didnt slam the ball into the left flipper as hard and I can easily stop the ball on either flipper now from the kickout of the blackbird. Flipper strength is slightly reduced, and slingshot strength is slightly reduced. I really appreciate the slingshot strength being reduced. This doesn't send near as many balls to the right outlane. I am guessing that previously, the "normal pulse power" setting was being ignored and it was set to some high setting.
2) In general, ball is much easier to control. This is partly due to every coil being less strong. But also the magnets aren't throwing it around as much. Wolverine magnet only fires when needed. This is much better in my opinion. My guess is the magneto magnet won't be over heating any longer.
3) Night crawler does jiggle before moving, but sometimes chooses not to move (stays put). So I think the algorithm for Night crawler is something like: Hold for N seconds, jiggle, generate random number between 0 or 1 and if 0 go left, 1 go right. It's pretty cool.
4) The game ball times are now long. Somewhere along the lines of Batman Dark Knight long or Monster Bash long or Transformers long. I played two games after the update and scored ~ 35 mil on each and played for over 20 mins each. This won't be your best 2 player game. I have my pitch set to about 8. I don't think opening up the outlanes or shortening the ball time is an option here either. While the ball times are long, I haven't even gotten nearly half way to completing the game. So, it's required to have long ball times to finish this game. I don't see any way around this. I think it may make the game more approachable to newer players. I hope I don't tire of the game faster because of this, though. We will see.
5) Everything in the game feels more polished now. The game feels complete. The only indication that the game is not complete is that the xmen diagnostics menu only has one option that's not labeled.

Thank you Mark, I thought I was going crazy. Normally if I held the left flipper button when the ball would shoot out the scoop, it would ricochet over to the right flipper. With the new code if I do that, it simply stays on the left flipper.

Shots are actually different now. I used to be able to shoot shots like Iceman on the fly from the left flipper when the ball came out of the scoop, now I can't even do it with Cyclops.

Ball times are definitely longer for me as well. I very quickly doubled my prior high score and this wasn't just because of the scoring fix, but because the ball is more controllable now, and I was having longer ball times.

I'll say it again: This is a complete game changer! Much more than just the rules. The game actually plays differently. Time to learn this one over pretty much from the start.

#110 11 years ago

Found my USB stick. (And there was much rejoicing.)

Quoted from RobT:

'll say it again: This is a complete game changer! Much more than just the rules. The game actually plays differently. Time to learn this one over pretty from the start.

I agree. Nothing feels the same. It is somehow tamer. Particularly the scoop. I kind of miss that railgun shot out of the scoop. lol. Well, not really. It is much more controlled now.
I noticed in the settings all the mode times are shorter by 15 secs. Haven't had time to mess around and see if they reduced shot numbers in the modes to account for this.
The one thing I do not like is the scoop awarding its own blackbird lane. And don't say this is what we were all asking for, because it wasn't. How hard would it be to have the iceman ramp switch award a lane? As it is right now, I just have to spam that scoop until I get an extra ball, 6x bonus, etc... Not that is any fun, but it is now a strategy.

#111 11 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Found my USB stick. (And there was much rejoicing.)

I agree. Nothing feels the same. It is somehow tamer. Particularly the scoop. I kind of miss that railgun shot out of the scoop. lol. Well, not really. It is much more controlled now.
I noticed in the settings all the mode times are shorter by 15 secs. Haven't had time to mess around and see if they reduced shot numbers in the modes to account for this.
The one thing I do not like is the scoop awarding its own blackbird lane. And don't say this is what we were all asking for, because it wasn't. How hard would it be to have the iceman ramp switch award a lane? As it is right now, I just have to spam that scoop until I get an extra ball, 6x bonus, etc... Not that is any fun, but it is now a strategy.

True, and I wasn't asking for an additional blackbird lane either.

How do you increase the bonus multiplier? I did get 6x from the scoop, but how else do you increase it?

#112 11 years ago

This is by far the best code update I have witnessed as a collector. To be honest, the reduced coil strength and slowed scoop kick out makes the game playable for me. I personally like to be able to play deeper into the game having an average skill level. This was one game that was destine to leave my collection on the fast track sans the update.
The initial release seems to account for about 1/3 of the games new code. Anyone drinking that Kool-Aid was definitely giving themselves a world class HJ of delusion. No one likes to think that something they just dropped a boatload of cash on sucks, however, it sure did. Now we got pin that is playing as good as it looks!!! Great job Stern!!!

#113 11 years ago

Ditto.

#114 11 years ago

I am now about ready to rate this game. And it will be receiving a high number from me. Quite high.

#115 11 years ago

I needed a pick me up today from work. Awesome!!

This ranks up there with SM and it's first code update. Really solid. They also changed the initial voice introduction for Juggernaut mode - no longer "you mean the unstoppable juggernaut" now it's professor X telling you to remove his helmet. Also, I actually like the Beast mode now some funny quotes. I can't recall what mode I was in - juggernaut or sabertooth and the ice ramp kept moving. I ht the ramp and it sent the ball over my left flipper. Wonder if intentional to have the ramp keep moving like that.

Overall, the update is terrific. Weapon X multiball is a great mode and I love I don't have to beat Magneto to start the modes. Great variety of modes, cool sound, I'm digging it. I still have lights by the blackbird inserts that sometimes light for no reason then go off - not sure what's up with that. Anyone else?

#116 11 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

I am now about ready to rate this game. And it will be receiving a high number from me. Quite high.

+1

#117 11 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

I needed a pick me up today from work. Awesome!!
This ranks up there with SM and it's first code update. Really solid. They also changed the initial voice introduction for Juggernaut mode - no longer "you mean the unstoppable juggernaut" now it's professor X telling you to remove his helmet. Also, I actually like the Beast mode now some funny quotes. I can't recall what mode I was in - juggernaut or sabertooth and the ice ramp kept moving. I ht the ramp and it sent the ball over my left flipper. Wonder if intentional to have the ramp keep moving like that.
Overall, the update is terrific. Weapon X multiball is a great mode and I love I don't have to beat Magneto to start the modes. Great variety of modes, cool sound, I'm digging it. I still have lights by the blackbird inserts that sometimes light for no reason then go off - not sure what's up with that. Anyone else?

The only time I had stray lights on that shouldn't be on was on version 1.1 and it was at the very beginning of the game, almost like it was mistakenly programmed into the pre launch light show. It was the Villain insert. I haven't noticed it since the update.

The pre Jugs quote you mentioned is still in there...it just switches off with other opening quotes.

I think it was probably Sabertooth mode that had the ramp moving on you. I think it may change positions depending on what shots are lit (and can be changed by hitting Wolverine).

#118 11 years ago

A stroll through the menus lets us anticipate an update down the line that implements combo scoring. Lots of Combo Award and Combo Champion, etc...options in there now, that aren't active yet.

#119 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Thank you Mark, I thought I was going crazy. Normally if I held the left flipper button when the ball would shoot out the scoop, it would ricochet over to the right flipper. With the new code if I do that, it simply stays on the left flipper.
Shots are actually different now. I used to be able to shoot shots like Iceman on the fly from the left flipper when the ball came out of the scoop, now I can't even do it with Cyclops.
Ball times are definitely longer for me as well. I very quickly doubled my prior high score and this wasn't just because of the scoring fix, but because the ball is more controllable now, and I was having longer ball times.
I'll say it again: This is a complete game changer! Much more than just the rules. The game actually plays differently. Time to learn this one over pretty much from the start.

Kind of makes sense for Stern to make a deeper, long ball type of game as there have been plenty of fast, short ball times recently. So, this is the LOTR of the hero type games maybe?

#120 11 years ago

They also changed the initial voice introduction for Juggernaut mode - no longer "you mean the unstoppable juggernaut" now it's professor X telling you to remove his helmet

I am real glad that that quote is gone... to be honest I hatedtht quote to no end...

Its the one quote that sounded like total MR. Microphone clip, from a prepubescent teenager...

Bravo STERN !

You guys did great......

Alathough not quite done, you guys nailed it.. a real great effort.

#121 11 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

The only issue I still have is that Magneto drops 2 balls when trying to only release 1, pretty regularly. They need to develop a fix, that might require hardware.

Nah the fix is to have it stay locked in Magneto and launch it from the shooter lane. It does not make sense for Magneto to drop a ball or balls when you just locked a ball. What I see happening is it releases one ball and when it pops back up it launches another ball into the air. A solution would be to launch from shooter lane and then at the end of the ball release one from Magneto. Basically if that messes up then you do not disrupt the game you just switch to a virtual lock.

#122 11 years ago

The mode with the ice ramp moving is weird.

What do you do? If you hit Wolverine ice ramp moves over and if you hit him again it moves back. IS this the case that you control the ramp by hitting him?

#123 11 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Same here

#124 11 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

They also changed the initial voice introduction for Juggernaut mode - no longer "you mean the unstoppable juggernaut" now it's professor X telling you to remove his helmet
I am real glad that that quote is gone... to be honest I hatedtht quote to no end...
Its the one quote that sounded like total MR. Microphone clip, from a prepubescent teenager...
Bravo STERN !
You guys did great......
Alathough not quite done, you guys nailed it.. a real great effort.

It's actually not gone. I got it today. Perhaps it randomly chooses from a couple different clips?

#125 11 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

A stroll through the menus lets us anticipate an update down the line that implements combo scoring. Lots of Combo Award and Combo Champion, etc...options in there now, that aren't active yet.

If that happens a pro is coming home with me!

So for everyone with the game already, ball times, mode accessibility and depth are similar to say SM?
I have 3 kick your ass fast games and only SM as deeper longer game so Xmen should be real nice addition to my collection, although its getting a little Borg heavy!

Jus wonder how the pro is going to play, find out in 2 weeks I hope before buying!

#126 11 years ago

although its getting a little Borg heavy!

Borg heavy is OK then..If he is making the games you love then roll with it

#127 11 years ago

Version 1.2 Code currently released and updated to my xmen le. currently loving weapon x multiball. Liking the changes!

#128 11 years ago

Is anyone else's auto fire in the shooter lane weakened? Mine doesn't fire the ball hard enough now and it rolls back down to the plunger. I end up having to plunge it to get it out.

#129 11 years ago
Quoted from Kingoftron:

Is anyone else's auto fire in the shooter lane weakened? Mine doesn't fire the ball hard enough now and it rolls back down to the plunger. I end up having to plunge it to get it out.

Seems to be a little weaker but not enough to have to manually plunge it.

#130 11 years ago

Man.... I can't believe I have to wait until Monday to try out this new code
Sounds fantastic!!!

Stern being responsive and putting out a quality product again... Who'd have thunk it?

#131 11 years ago
Quoted from Kingoftron:

Sounds like your game isn't quite level or the body is twisted a bit

#132 11 years ago

I've got the lanes wide open and my ball times are still relatively short.

#133 11 years ago

Fantastic update! XMEN is a top ten game.

#134 11 years ago

WHERE IS THE JACKPOT CALL OUT DURING A MULTI BALL MODE, REALLY MISS THAT. DOES ANYONE ELSE AGREE??? STERN CAN YOU PLEASE UPDATE THIS IN THE NEW 1.3 VERSION!

#135 11 years ago

WHAT??? COULDN'T HEAR YOU!

#136 11 years ago

I think Mags multiball is good the way it is.He talks smack and you hear and see him shield when you hit a jackpot.The best part is when you defeat him and he begs to join your team.The only change I would like is for the Mags life meter to stay on the screen.

#137 11 years ago

I would like not to have to start a mode over from the beginning when I cannot complete it. The user could choose easy to do this and medium or hard to make you start over. Damn Wolverine magnet has given a lot of SDTM drains in those modes.

Also why is the ice man ramp moving back and fourth so much now. In modes the ball barely clears the ramp before it moves back and i'm still in the mode.

New code is good though it still has several issues that need tweaked

#138 11 years ago

I think Stern is onto something with this game. With everyone talking about ACDC (which is good but needs the update and it will come) and looking forward to Avengers, and the fact that no Premium XMEN Le's exist. This thing may have some star power. Very fast, tough shots, nice modes, sound package etc. This could be the sleeper of the year. It will be interesting to see where it's popularity with players/collectors shakes out in 6-12 months. I am not an Xmen fan, (neutral theme to me), but the play is very challenging and I like it a lot. Just my 2 cents.

#139 11 years ago

You mean STERN decides to cater to the home buyer, produce a deeper rule set, complete the programming on a pin (few weeks late but pretty close), not base pin on a movie franchise and to incorporate some rule suggestions and you guys are loving it? Way to finally get with the program Stern, we have been saying it for at least five years on here. Helps to have Gary out of the decision making process.

#140 11 years ago

My ramp occasionally gets stuck in the middle...is this happening to anyone else? In other words, it sometimes goes back to the spot other than where it's supposed to.

It never did this with 1.1.

#141 11 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

If that happens a pro is coming home with me!
So for everyone with the game already, ball times, mode accessibility and depth are similar to say SM?
I have 3 kick your ass fast games and only SM as deeper longer game so Xmen should be real nice addition to my collection, although its getting a little Borg heavy!
Jus wonder how the pro is going to play, find out in 2 weeks I hope before buying!

It's deeper then SM but doesn't flow as well. And way more problematic at this point.

#142 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

It's deeper then SM but doesn't flow as well. And way more problematic at this point.

Is flow determined by the ease of figure-8-ing two ramps?

#143 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Spiderman is more than that and you know it. I actually don't think xmen is deeper than spiderman either.

#144 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Every shot can flow into the other with the exception of doc Ock and even with that one you can double flipper to skip the animation. Are you really trying to make a case for Xmen having more flow then SM?

#145 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Every shot can flow into the other with the exception of doc Ock and even with that one you can double flipper to skip the animation. Are you really trying to make a case for Xmen having more flow then SM?

+1 million. There is probably no pin that could even remotely have more flow than Spider-man.

Think about it:
No kick out hole - don't see that too often. (I guess Sandman, but he is covered by a 3 bank target)
Only one magnet with animations that can be suspended.
Virtual ball lock- No mech that captures it causing the next ball to load.
Quick looping ramps that are easy to get going.
No subways - which no new Sterns have anyways.

The only thing that "stops" the pin is the pop bumpers which 99% of all pins have.
VUk which can be quick if you flipper skip. Once again common feature.

I really knew X-men could never achieve this, as SM is one of the top flow games ever. If it is 80% with the great rules, then it will be considered a classic.

#146 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Stop being naughty Greg hehe

2 months later
#147 11 years ago

Any news regarding big update for X-Men? Rumor was end of Oct. Just curious...

#148 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

It depends how you play it. Either game can have infinite flow. Spidey if you hit the ramps back and forth. X-Men if you shoot Cyclops-Storm-Iceman-Beast-Storm-Iceman repeat. Spidey can have less flow if you hit Doc Ock or Sandman all day long, or if the ball is diverted into the Sandman VUK for a lock. Honestly it's just a stupid argument..."this game has more flow than this game" ...it's all about CONTEXT. NO game will have a ball that never stops. You're gonna miss a shot or hit a target or hit a saucer or VUK. So...yeah, I don't get arguing about flow. It's stupid.

Anyway, Spidey is awesome, even with its stop 'n flow gameplay (LOL...just pushin' your buttons, maniacs...calm down!) - it doesn't need to be defended.

X-Men needs new code, that is certain. Physically, though...it's flow city! ...and sometimes not. Just like any game with combo-able shots.

#149 11 years ago

Mid December Xmas present!

Quoted from Naf:

Any news regarding big update for X-Men? Rumor was end of Oct. Just curious...

#150 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It depends how you play it. Either game can have infinite flow. Spidey if you hit the ramps back and forth. X-Men if you shoot Cyclops-Storm-Iceman-Beast-Storm-Iceman repeat. Spidey can have less flow if you hit Doc Ock or Sandman all day long, or if the ball is diverted into the Sandman VUK for a lock. Honestly it's just a stupid argument..."this game has more flow than this game" ...it's all about CONTEXT. NO game will have a ball that never stops. You're gonna miss a shot or hit a target or hit a saucer or VUK. So...yeah, I don't get arguing about flow. It's stupid.
Anyway, Spidey is awesome, even with its stop 'n flow gameplay (LOL...just pushin' your buttons, maniacs...calm down!) - it doesn't need to be defended.
X-Men needs new code, that is certain. Physically, though...it's flow city! ...and sometimes not. Just like any game with combo-able shots.

I look at it like this. There are 2 shots that hold the ball for any amount of time on SM and one can be double flipped to skip the animation and get the ball back in play. Xmen has 3 shots and a outter loop shot that the pops kill the direct return to the flippers.

Xmen does have 2 very interesting flowing shots you don't see too often though. The left ramp into the inside of cabinet wall and the iceman ramp return over the left Inlane plastic were very satisfying shots. (:

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 155 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-code-update/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.