(Topic ID: 21287)

X-men - Code update ideas

By Apollyon

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

It sounds like Borg has sought some input from the pinball community for ideas of things to change in the code to make X-men better. So I thought we could make it easy for them and have on thread to list the changes we would like. Just code changes though, no playfield or other issues.

Here are my thoughts based on videos and comments made in the forums:

1. Fix Magneto scoring (obviously)
    2. Add some variety to the voice call outs and fix repetitive call outs.
    3. Fix Wolverine mode (i.e. add Weapon X MB and make Wolverine harder)
    4. Ensure the HellFire Club targets show how many shots you have made and need (i.e. make it the same as the Brotherhood targets).
    5. Fix the magnet overheating issue if possible
    6. Allow modes to be started before Magneto MB begins (at least make it an option in the menus - "Allow Early Mode Start"). My idea would be to keep the same idea for the first MMB (i.e. only the heros that have been shot count as jackpots for the 1st MMB). But then you could work towards starting the modes. For example, first shot to Iceman "assembles" him for MMB. Then if you hit him again, you start building towards starting his mode. Hit him enough times and you can run Iceman mode during MMB. You could have the red arrow light solid once hit and collected for MMB, but keep the hero's name flashing until to start their mode). Same thing for villains (i.e. allowing you to start a villain before the first MMB, and have it running during the MMB). This would allow strategy and timing and increase scoring and the ability to complete modes and work towards the tough wizard modes.
    7. Light the far light inlane with a successful Iceman hit when the iceramp is on the right.
    8. Try to add diversity in the modes (not just "hit Iceman 10 times" in his mode - make us hit some other shots - tell a bit of a story)

Please list other ideas.

#2 11 years ago

9)Disable starting the same mode after you complete it.
    10)Make the magnet catch before mb work better.
    11)Count the ice ramp make as a blackbird.
    12)Have the nightcrawlers pop up more.For example during Xaviar mode to find the mutant,Cyclops as a hit combo after Storm hit,hidden combo shot.
    13)A ball save option for SDTM right after the Wolverine magnet
    14)Make the Villian wizard mode easier to get to by not having to beat them all.

#3 11 years ago

15)Have button sound effect in attract mode
    16) sound effects for ball save

#4 11 years ago

17. Music / sound effects when entering high scores

#5 11 years ago

17) Sound effect for outlane drains

Note: I'm aginst 14 unless modes are stackable (or at least qualifying them is). If modes don't have to be beat and you can't do anything else during the mode (no qualifying other hero or villian modes) it only makes sense to time out the mode if you are looking to get deeper in the game. Timing out modes is not fun. I suggest 18 if you are not going to allow mode stacking.

18) Keep it so all modes have to be beat to reach each wizard, but save progress from one attempt to another. Tweek difficulty of each mode (Wolvie too easy, Cyclops too hard).

#6 11 years ago

I like and agree with 18 - save progress from one ball to another, and keep the requirement to finish the modes to get to wizard mode. Great middle ground.

#7 11 years ago

19. Fix lights showing villan or extra ball by scoop when they obviously are not ready yet.
    20. Use lights to augment modes better. Noticed in cyclops mode red lights came on once like laser blasts why not through whole mode. Storm mode as well.
    21. Add shaker motor elements

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from bballfan:

Make the magnet catch before mb work better.

A big +1 on this one. I was expecting a Twister-style magnetic disc and we got a very limp facsimile of that effect.

Also, not a software fix, but let's get that larger plastic cover for the Storm ramp. As fun as it is to launch balls, my cabinet will appreciate the protection.

#9 11 years ago

Make the Nightcrawler pop outs a less challenge to find! So we can find him to make him pop up more? I say during Cerebro mode!

Would like to see player have to be able to collect all the X-Men and Villians before challenging Magneto for Magneto MB!

Not sure why this does this but when I shoot for skill shot the Storm target light and Rogue target lights shut off after I pull the plunger and not making the skill shot when I did make the shot? Is this a bug?

Is there a Apocolypse wizzy mode anywhere? Just curious...

#10 11 years ago

oh for grins....how about a easter egg where you find Stan Lee "Excelsior!!"

Like the idea for nightcrawler much more use.

#11 11 years ago

Copper.1: Fix the issue where when you start Magneto the second time you lose progress towards qualifying new hero modes.

Copper.2: Make the locks HARDER to qualify for 2nd Magneto multiball.

Copper.3: IF you keep the Magneto Gate to the rest of the game, make it a 2 ball fast multiball. (i.e. Lock 2 and start). Right now the Magneto 'Gate' is VERY painful to get through in order to unlock the 'rest' of the game.

Copper.4: Something is up with Cyclops. PLEASE make this mode 'completion' be dependent on the number of spins on the spinner.

Copper.5: Speed up the Xavier Vuk dump to left ramp. I want that shot FAST FAST FAST. Right now you shoot it in there and wait for no reason for the VUK to kick it up to the ramp.

Copper.6: Make sure you get those Combo Callouts in the game. There's Combo Champ, right?

Copper.7: Give us an EOL like bonus for comboing into the scoop. That is a satisfying fun conclusion that should be in the game.

Copper.8: Fix the callouts, randomization, and all that stuff.

Copper.9: Deadpool

Copper.10: Danger Room Wizard Mode is in the game, but there are no callouts to indicate anything cool is going on, other than stuff shooting at you. Please flesh this wizard mode out to be more 'theme' oriented.

Copper.11: Fix Beast in Shadow King Mode. Right now that shot doesn't light and you can't move past it.

Copper.12: Nightcrawlers. I think Nightcrawler should be qualified and NOT random. Maybe tie it into an EOL-bonus type combo shot when Blackbird is lit?

Copper.13: STRONG hold on the magnet at the start of Magneto Multiball. Its limpsauce right now.

Copper.14: Give us mini-wizard modes for starting but not finishing villains/heroes. Like a single ball wizard mode or something. Right now most of us are only going to see those modes with the glass off. Shots are TIGHT.

Copper.15: Add settings in the menus to tweak all this stuff. Let us make the modes EASIER to complete. Right now it's tuned WAY too hard.

Copper.16: Let me beta test your code! I do Software Design and QC for high availability systems for a living. I can help (No, seriously, this stuff is fun for me).

-Wes

#12 11 years ago

I also would like the Xavier VUK to be fast. Ideally it would be like a ramp shot flow wise. I guess you have to give the ball time to settle but perhaps faster than it is now.

The night crawlers should be used often and should show up almost every game. This is a major feature. Should be required to get to wizard mode.

I would like some mode stacking.

I would disagree with locking out modes that have already been started or completed. This risks getting into a TF Optimus prime situation where the game cannot continue. Perhaps mode stacking solves this. Right now I accidentally hit wolverine too much and have to complete him to get back into what I was doing.

I disagree with granting wizard mode for starting but not completing modes. Instead a mini wizard is ok. Would be cool for something big after completing both xmen sides though.

Does wolverine work as the instruction card says? For me it just seems you hit him, start his mode, hit him a few more times to compete him. Instruction card outlines a much bigger series that sounds neat ending in a MB.

I strongly disagree with a wolverine magnet ball save. Game would be way too easy. This can be managed by shooting him to the side like iron monger. That feature if exists, should be an option and default to off.

Final suggestion: have Lyman okay the game and take a bunch of his suggestions on how to improve it. He has a real back for polishing rules, stacking, etc

#13 11 years ago

I'll throw in on also agreeing on ditching the VUK delay. It really surprised me to see it. It seemed one of the selling features of the VUK was it being fast and sending the ball down the ramp. I can understand a delay or sound / flasher effect before a ball is kicked out right at the flippers (like the scoop is), but if your reaction time is so slow that you don't see the ball coming down that left ramp....it's time for you to move on to another game.

On a related note. The scoop need to ALWAYS have the sound / flasher effect when it is about to kick the ball out...sometimes it doesn't and it is down the drain before you know it's coming. It's almost better to never have it at all than have it 90% of the time. I figure these times it doesn't give you the warning it is an oversight.

I also think there is a bug with the Phoenix shot not opening the lock diverter when lock is lit sometimes. I have way too many come creeping around the left side after a Phoenix shot and the ball should have been diverted.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from copperpot:

Copper.4: Something is up with Cyclops. PLEASE make this mode 'completion' be dependent on the number of spins on the spinner.

-Wes

I don't know why ppl are having issues w cyclops. There is something up with this mode but don't pay attention to the shoot cyclops 9 times. I seem to finish this mode a lot and it seems combo based not just shoot cyclops. I.e. shoot cyclops, storm til it lights dark Phoenix, make the DP scoop shot when it's lit - complete.

#15 11 years ago

A lot of good ideas in this thread. I like a lot of coppers ideas. Heres a few of mine:

-reitterating coppers idea; I want 4 mini wizard modes: 1 for doing all the heros, 1 for doing all the villains, 1 for completing all the heros, and 1 for completing all the villains.

-send us a stronger magnet or get it to work more consistently and stronger on mb starts

-better magneto mb start lighting; flashing every single light in the game isn't that appealing. Maybe try flashing just the spinner lights first while keeping the game dark then start hitting some flashers as magneto spins and releases the balls.

-allow completed hero modes to stack with non completed hero modes.

-if we must do magneto mb before we can start doing hero modes, then at least let us qualify villain modes.

-add combo awards and let us see what are final combo count is after a game (unlike TF).

I'll come up w more later. Bit tired ATM.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

-better magneto mb start lighting; flashing every single light in the game isn't that appealing. Maybe try flashing just the spinner lights first while keeping the game dark then start hitting some flashers as magneto spins and releases the balls.

Like this idea. How about turn off all lights except DMD when Magneto descends. Then turn on only red lights, release balls onto magnet then release igniting all white lights.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

I don't know why ppl are having issues w cyclops. There is something up with this mode but don't pay attention to the shoot cyclops 9 times. I seem to finish this mode a lot and it seems combo based not just shoot cyclops. I.e. shoot cyclops, storm til it lights dark Phoenix, make the DP scoop shot when it's lit - complete.

What does Dark Phoenix mode have to do with Cyclops mode?

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

What does Dark Phoenix mode have to do with Cyclops mode?

It completes the mode.

But as far as lore is concerned, in the movies (and I believe comics?), Jean kills cyclops when she becomes the dark Phoenix.

#19 11 years ago

Also, I wonder if it's a secret shot to complete cyclops epsimilar to completing light cycle mode in tron with the secret combo.

When I complete cyclops I hit cyclops - storm - cyclops - storm - dark Phoenix.

Dark Phoenix is only lit for like 5-7 seconds after the storm shot. Not positive if it's lit after the first combo or if it lights after the second.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

Also, I wonder if it's a secret shot to complete cyclops epsimilar to completing light cycle mode in tron with the secret combo.
    When I complete cyclops I hit cyclops - storm - cyclops - storm - dark Phoenix.
    Dark Phoenix is only lit for like 5-7 seconds after the storm shot. Not positive if it's lit after the first combo or if it lights after the second.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

It completes the mode.
    But as far as lore is concerned, in the movies (and I believe comics?), Jean kills cyclops when she becomes the dark Phoenix.

Hmm. I didn't notice when I did a run through with the glass off. I figured the Dark Phoenix insert was only to start the Villian's wizzard mode.

#21 11 years ago

Less linear.

Jackpot callouts.

#22 11 years ago

More and better callouts, I feel like I can't hear half of them when I start X-men modes. Oh and everything else mentioned above. I really hope they continue to refine this game quite a few times, has SO much potential and with all the bugs and whatnot it is going to take at least 2-3 updates I am guessing to get polished to the point it is "playable"

#23 11 years ago

So got a couple more ideas:

-only pulse magneto magnet when trying to light locks, once lock is lit do not pulse magnet on every green target hit. This will save on the magnet and perhaps use the magnet stronger during mb's?

-if you start a hero mode you should be able to stack a villain mode but not vice versa.

#24 11 years ago

Dear Stern - Please allow stacking of modes and memory progression!

Stacking allows for strategy and keeps play from getting stagnant. Some of the best Sterns have great stackability (LOTR, SM, TSPP).

And as the modes are currently set up, they are way too hard to defeat. Memory progression (especially for villains) would at least give the average player some hope.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! This game has the potential to be amazing. Please do not drop the ball on the opportunity to make a classic game.

#25 11 years ago

Fix Gambit hurry up. Seems it stops if you start a villain or hero mode before you complete it. Not sure though, maybe the indicating lights just goes out. I don't know how many times I missed the shot in the first few seconds only to have Wolvie mode start and end Gambit.

I think Sentinels could be much cooler if you can complete the mode by killing both at the same time, if not, then they respawn like they do now. Maybe get a bonus for the quicker you beat the mode, ie. time left.

Don't restart a hero or villain mode if you already beat it. If you haven't beat it, then yes, it needs to be restarted.

#26 11 years ago

Uhh, how about letting you know what your score was after the game's over?

#27 11 years ago

I figure they already know about that.

#28 11 years ago

I got a new #1 code wish list. It's the only thing I want for Xmas:

-add memory progression to villain modes.

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

I hope they don't do that.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I hope they don't do that.

Yeah, they need to leave it as is so no mortal will ever see the wizard mode.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from Apollyon:

8. Try to add diversity in the modes (not just "hit Iceman 10 times" in his mode - make us hit some other shots - tell a bit of a story)

I wouldn't mind the few modes w/ this type of rule if you could stack...cuz then you'd have a villain mode with more interesting shots, and a hero mode with simple shots going at the same time....you wouldn't just be aiming for one thing over and over w/ 2 modes going.

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Yeah, they need to leave it as is so no mortal will ever see the wizard mode.

There are two wizard modes. You'll see the hero one. I'm ok knowing my current skills can't get the villian one yet. I'm never been to portal on tron (I've been one shot away ). I've never been to super hero on spiderman. I've qualified all white inserts lit but didn't make super hero. I know of no one that hit wizard mode on ironman. We've seen both mini wizards: Jericho and do or die but no wizard mode. No where close on lotr. But I've destroyed the ring.

Many of these great games game a hugely difficult wizard mode. But they have one or more mini wizard modes that give satisfaction hitting. I think the completion of xmen rules wise is good as is. Some mode stacking would be great. And doing something so bumping wolverine doesn't keep starting his mode locking out everything else.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

I say, add it to Hero and Villain modes.

#34 11 years ago

Making the wizard modes too easy is a huge mistake. Ironman requires you to beat all the characters, not only start them but beat them, without any mode memory, and you must do it all on one ball. The average player should not be capable of ever seeing the wizard mode of a good game. That's why mini wizard modes exist. Adding mode memory would probably ruin this game

#35 11 years ago

This game will never be easy. No reason to make it impossible, though!

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Making the wizard modes too easy is a huge mistake. Ironman requires you to beat all the characters, not only start them but beat them, without any mode memory, and you must do it all on one ball. The average player should not be capable of ever seeing the wizard mode of a good game. That's why mini wizard modes exist. Adding mode memory would probably ruin this game

Keep in mind that I don't know specific rules on a lot of different games, but this one seems like a safe bet as far as saving memory from one attempt to another won't be making it too easy. As it stands now, I would bet no one has or probably ever will see this games wizard modes as the software stands.

Giving someone a second chance and starting the second chance with someones progress from the first one seems fair and a step (just a step) in the right direction.

On a side note....is there any other game that someone can think of that would take longer than this game to get to the last wizard mode? If you can think of one...does it have, on average, longer or shorter ball times?

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

Keep in mind that I don't know specific rules on a lot of different games, but this one seems like a safe bet as far as saving memory from one attempt to another won't be making it too easy. As it stands now, I would bet no one has or probably ever will see this games wizard modes as the software stands.
    Giving someone a second chance and starting the second chance with someones progress from the first one seems fair and a step (just a step) in the right direction.
    On a side note....is there any other game that someone can think of that would take longer than this game to get to the last wizard mode? If you can think of one...does it have, on average, longer or shorter ball times?

Lord of the rings or Simpsons have to be longer. Spiderman took me 22 minutes to almost get there. My xmen ball times are not a lot shorter than spiderman. A little but not a lot. It is hard to tell because each time magneto mb starts I hold one ball until the ball save timer expires and let the rest drain to get on with the game since the scoring isn't tallied anyway. That saves a lot of time as I usually see that mb 3 or so times per game.

Look if you want your game to be easier then there are lots of things you can do. Increase your balls per game and set some extra score based balls. Certainly you're not saying you can't beat any of the villain modes as it stands. Because if that's true then you don't deserve to see a wizard mode with your skill level. If you can beat them occasionally, and I expect you can then adding balls would solve it for you. Certainly we all shouldn't have the SW eased up so you can beat the game on three balls stock settings. It should be a remarkable event only reserved for highly skilled players and only then when they have a good game.

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I wouldn't mind the few modes w/ this type of rule if you could stack...cuz then you'd have a villain mode with more interesting shots, and a hero mode with simple shots going at the same time....you wouldn't just be aiming for one thing over and over w/ 2 modes going.

I agree with this. Stacking of modes solves a number of issues and in my opinion adds a lot to a game's fun factor.

I don't think memory progression on villains would make the game too easy as you still have to qualify to start them each time.

Also, from what I have seen (in videos) and from people's comments, the modes have some decent variety in them already.

I think if we could have a more stacking, memory progression for villains, and mini-wizard modes, this would be a classic game.

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from Apollyon:

I agree with this. Stacking of modes solves a number of issues and in my opinion adds a lot to a game's fun factor.
    I don't think memory progression on villains would make the game too easy as you still have to qualify to start them each time.
    Also, from what I have seen (in videos) and from people's comments, the modes have some decent variety in them already.
    I think if we could have a more stacking, memory progression for villains, and mini-wizard modes, this would be a classic game.

+infinity!

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from Apollyon:

Here's a thought - since we don't know what's in the next update, allow me to speculate. I would imagine that there will eventually be adjustable difficulty levels...all games have them. Perhaps each mode will have an "EASY, NORMAL, HARD" setting...if that's the case, I would imagine the EASY setting would make it so that a mode requires less hits to complete (or life bars drain faster on Villains). I could hang with that. It would allow the user to adjust the speed of the "story flow" of the game....and I still don't think it would be truly easy, but probably more realistic to reach at least Danger Room or Dark Phoenix every so often....or get close.

Played a bunch more games yesterday...truly having fun. I think no matter what happens with the code, whether it's pitch perfect to my desires or not, I'm going to really dig this game in the long run. The variety is awesome and even if I'm not capable of finishing all modes in one game, I like that I can pick from a whole bunch of different ones...keeps each "battle" fresh.

BTW, Waison & Borg, if you're reading this....*cough cough cough* Markmon's always wrong *cough cough cough*

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Markmon's always wrong

WHO......

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Lord of the Rings or Simpsons have to be longer. spiderman took me 22 minutes to almost get there. My xmen ball times are not a lot shorter than spiderman. A little but not a lot. It is hard to tell because each time magneto mb starts I hold one ball until the ball save timer expires and let the rest drain to get on with the game since the scoring isn't tallied anyway. That saves a lot of time as I usually see that mb 3 or so times per game.
    Look if you want your game to be easier then there are lots of things you can do. Increase your balls per game and set some extra score based balls. Certainly you're not saying you can't beat any of the villain modes as it stands. Because if that's true then you don't deserve to see a wizard mode with your skill level. If you can beat them occasionally, and I expect you can then adding balls would solve it for you. Certainly we all shouldn't have the SW eased up so you can beat the game on three balls stock settings. It should be a remarkable event only reserved for highly skilled players and only then when they have a good game.

I don't know about LOTR or TSPP, I have heard they are deep but 15+ modes that have to be BEAT sounds pretty tough...even for a great player like you.

As soon as I see a video or hear of anyone getting to the wizard modes as X-Men is....I will be suggesting that they add stacking and save mode progress.

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I would imagine that there will eventually be adjustable difficulty levels...all games have them.

Your Tron doesn't have them.

Oh, they are there in the menu, but try adjusting them and see if they have any effect at all.

#44 11 years ago

I wonder if defeating Magneto does anything besides give you points. It seems like there should be some kind of reward or something....maybe spot you a Villain or light Extra Ball or Special? It's pretty cool when you defeat him, though, there's a big "POW!" Comic Book panel, and it slides to the next panel showing Magneto falling backwards w/ his helmet falling off, and someone (Prof X? I couldn't tell) says "Human's aren't evil...just uninformed"

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Your Tron doesn't have them.
    Oh, they are there in the menu, but try adjusting them and see if they have any effect at all.

Hm...well, I fortunately Tron is pretty balanced the way it is. I finally got to Portal the other day, yay!

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Hm...well, I fortunately Tron is pretty balanced the way it is. I finally got to Portal the other day, yay!

Nice! Portal is very cool, and I think it has the right balance of being difficult to get to without being impossible.

#47 11 years ago

Well, when they fix Jugs mode, I hope they turn Cyclops light on and don't remove him from the mode. I can make him easier than Iceman's ramp by backhanding him. Really, the only way I can defeat Jugs.

#48 11 years ago

I'm totally up for less shots to complete villian modes...

#49 11 years ago

I guess Gambit is stackable with villains. I started up Sentinels while trying to shoot for Gambit. A few seconds later I heard Pepe le pew say whatever he says when you complete his shot.
    Now it would be nice to have him stay lit somehow but that is minor.

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I'm totally up for less shots to complete villian modes...

Me too. I mean the game is already too easy. Got to both wizard modes and half way to them again by ball 2. Got bored and quit out. Games is way too easy or I'm too good...I don't know which.

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-code-update-ideas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.