IMG_20130101_151506.jpg
IMG_20130101_151459.jpg
IMG_20130101_151455.jpg
IMG_20121230_223557.jpg
IMG_20121230_223546.jpg
IMG_20121230_222234.jpg
11111ddd.jpg
iceman.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dugfreez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#112 11 years ago

I have never heard of a game feeling like 3 different (and not so good) games with 3 different updates.

First of all...why not improve what is already there:

Make the outlane sound effect audible and play every time.
Add a sound effect / quote for ball save.
USED THE INSERTS! There is no excuse for the shots to RAISE JACKPOTS in a mode to be lit the same as the DAMAGE shots!

That was the simple stuff that is inexcusable at this point. The rest of my rant is to say WHY NOT LISTEN TO THINGS THAT PEOPLE SUGGEST?! I think they heard people say the game was too hard and instead of listening to suggestions they just said "Let just make it easier". So now everything start with one shot and everything is running at once. Stupid, stupid, stupid idea. So instead of adding villain progression or making certain meaningful shots do more damage they decide to just make the villains fewer shots (but also lower the time to do it).

Losing faith in this game at this point. I...yes me, could have made this game much better than the last version just by listening to players suggestions. Instead it seem that the programming team has put no thought into this update and simply just said "They wanted it easier...it's easier".

#169 11 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

So I'm going to get flamed and that's fine. Before I write some comments regarding the latest review it should be noted that I am playing the game with a brand new Wolverine magnet, brand new Aux board, and all new fuses. OK that being said, I just don't see the issues.
First, let me tell you that I am trying to be as objective as possible and would have no issues selling the game if I didn't see it. But, I've had no issues like those described in the thread. Could it possibly be the new Aux board? I doubt it but here are my findings.
1. My magnets are crazy...better than ever remembered. I'm guessing this is more than likely due to the new Wolvie magnet and Aux board but they are crazy.
2. Absolutely no issues with locking multi-ball with Magneto and no more ball issues.
3. I have the settings on hard and can see the ability to stack. There has to be a happy medium because is well...still quite hard. However, the experience is much better than the last version.
4. I have had zero issues with the Iceman ramp. It worked perfect throughout the 15+ games I played. I even tried only shooting for Iceman and never had an issue.
5. Call outs are fresh...er. Though there is literally 90% of the same call outs, there are a few new ones.
This was a very quick write up and we have to find out if the new chip in the aux board has ANYTHING to do with this experience. All I know is I'm having none of the issues mentioned on this thread.
The game actually is on the road to making some sense. Like I said, give me a thumbs down if you want. But, I'm just having an exact opposite experience and that's not to say the code is good. I need to give it more time.

I think I may understand the misunderstanding here. It sounds like you just got a new aux board....put it in and then updated the software. You are obviously happy that your game is now working correctly because of the aux board replacement. What you don't seem to be getting here is that most users on this thread have been playing with a working game that has a working aux board. We see the changes that are on the new software revision and are very disappointed with it (considering it a very small step forward in some aspects and a big jump backwards in other areas). The fact that some users are downgrading back to the previous version is a pretty good indicator that they really dropped the ball on this one.

It's bad enough that they didn't add / fix / tweak things that needed done, but many things seem much worse than they have ever been. I really don't know what they could have been thinking when releasing this update. I'm guessing they just went with "easier" without putting any thought on what a mess they have made but attempting that.

As for peoples suggestions to make the setting harder to fix this mess...I refuse to do that. I honestly don't think my problem with the update is that the game is now too easy. It's just the fact that you can tell it wasn't intended to be that way and a jumbled mess with 4 modes running at once and no way of knowing what is going on in each mode.

#190 11 years ago

Wow! Having to replay beat heroes over and over still made it through another update.

PS: I think that is a bad thing that should have never been in the game.

#222 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I suppose you've never played Sabertooth or Magneto Multiball? The ramp swings across during those modes. Try hitting the Iceman shot while the ramp is over to the left...it will start moving while the ball is still on it, causing the ball to drop by the sling, NOT into the left inlane as it should.
This is a DAY ONE BUG and it still exists. They fixed it on Iceman's mode ONLY but not the other modes that use the Iceman ramp!!!!!
I hope you now understand the complaints.

Was it in 1.1? I didn't think they went nuts with the ramp swinging around until 1.2?

On another note....I haven't had the return of the lock dropping too many balls like version 1.2 and 1.21, but I haven't put many games on though.

#252 11 years ago

I sent an e-mail saying that I was unhappy and disappointed with the new code. Nothing to specific except that the Wolverine making "hit quotes" when other shots were made was inexcusable and should have been caught on ball one of the first ball played with the update.

I felt that there was no reason to go into much depth as I'm guessing most, if not all, e-mails are ignored anyway. I said I just wanted to let then know to count me as someone that is disappointed and unhappy with the update.

To be honest, the biggest thing that upsets me is that very little is added, fixed or thought out on this update. It's like they just got what was in the game before and shook it around. No fixed Beast voice, no added use of the inserts to describe what you are doing in a mode (which would be largely useless now with 4 hero modes going at once), no ball save quote, still busted (sometimes it's there and sometimes it isn't) and inaudible outlane drain sound. I'm also not very happy with BEAT modes still being replayable. It's not quite as big of a hassle now that hero modes are super stacked, but why even do it? I've already beat that mode...I don't even want to give it any more speaker or DMD time again that could be used working on another mode, until the final wizard mode has been passed.

I may try changing my setting to make it harder to start hero modes, but to be honest....my gripe isn't that they are too easy to start or beat now....it's that they are stepping all over each other by running at the same time. I was a big advocate that the rules needed to be softened up. Mainly the villain modes...but making the hero modes all stack, 1 hit to start them and they don't need to be beat to get to Danger Room seems like a bit of overkill to make it easy.

Speaking of which......so what is the incentive to beat a hero mode now....besides points? Goal wise is there any advantage to beating them now? I think if I were to change hero mode things from 1.22 I would have made it so hero modes started about the same (2 hits). When in one hero mode you could still qualify the other shots for their hero modes....but they wouldn't start until the running mode was finished and that shot was hit again after being qualified. Also beat modes would not be replayed. When all hero modes are played...DANGER ROOM. If all hero modes are beat....SOMETHING ELSE??? I would also rework the inserts to better describe each hero modes goal. I would also implement the option to "Run away and live to fight another day" when hitting the scoop when Villain is lit. This would give the player the option to actually just play the game in a hero-centric way if they chose to.

Doing things this way would give each mode it's own turn to shine (DMD animations, audio, and also let the game use the inserts to describe the modes goal) without stepping on the toes of another mode. This would also make it easier than any previous version to get to Danger Room, but not as easy as it seems to be now and not the cluttered wreck it is. I honestly don't think most peoples suggestions of changes from the old code was that the hero modes were too hard anyway. Most of the real issue was that the multiball targets were dead during modes and the villains were too hard and needed softening up (hopefully in a creative way instead of the generic "takes fewer hits" way that they implemented).

I hope something is done and would really like a statement released about the mistake that this release is. A "We're sorry we missed the mark. We are listening to your suggestions and reworking things to better the game". Just curious...have there been any other Stern updates that have been widely received so poorly?

#274 11 years ago

I also believe adding some simple high score awards would go a long way as to look like something was added. I can't imagine having a "Champion of Heroes" (most heroes collected...meaning beat) and "Mightiest Mutant" (most villain modes complete) would take very much programming resources. Then again there are much more important issues that should be addressed.

#278 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Changing this solves them from stepping all over each other.

Maybe....but you don't know how preposterous it is that a player of my skill level would make setting on a game harder. Making the game easier (mainly the villains) was one of the main suggestions I had for the game....but they just went the wrong direction completely on doing that.

Someone mentioned earlier that people had been clamoring for hero mode stacking. I don't remember that at all. Stacking as in being able to qualify other things (multi-balls, villains and even other heroes) would be fine, but running timed modes all at one time is a mess.

I also saw someone mentioning timing out hero modes now. As much as I dislike the new code...that would be even more silly to suggest timing them out now. With all of them stacking on top of the other (and no need to beat them to progress) it makes more sense to just ignore them and slap the ball around the table. Every shot is going to start a new mode anyway...so might as well go nuts.

As I said above...I sent a short and tasteful email to the Stern software department letting them know I was disappointed and unhappy with the code. I would hope that others do the same. At least when they see e-mail explaining our disappointment they will see we are upset enough to actually say something to them about it.

#381 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

They should just keep hero stacking to completed hero modes. That way if you start a completed hero mode, you can stack it with a non completed one.

I would be up for this as long as the completed mode that is getting replayed doesn't override the other modes DMD animations or audio. So basically it can run....but I don't want to know about it. So what I really mean to say is there is no reason to replay a completed mode before the entire game (final wizard mode) has been reached and attempted.

Replaying completed modes now isn't as bad as it was before (since modes can be stacked), but it still seems pointless for them to be there or interrupt another mode since you have already "been there, done that".

#385 11 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I would think it is still the same as before? Complete 4 (from memory) Heros.
That's complete (light solid) as opposed to start.
I had 3 games yesterday, got an extra ball on each game.
I was thinking about the completion of each hero mode as opposed to the starting of each mode ... Someone asked "what's the point of completing a hero now?"
I was thinking the same, seems no point completing them. But possibly the more Heros you complete, the bigger the jackpots in Danger Room?
When I got to Danger Room on the first game yesterday, I had probably 3/4 of the Heros lit solid. My jackpots were 2,000,000 and sometimes 2,100,000 each jackpot. What jackpots have others been getting?
rd.

The old requirement to light extra ball (on version 1.2, 1.21 & 1.22) was to light 5 modes (heroes or villains) and they didn't have to be beat. That is definitely not the way it is now as I have had all heroes lit and 2 villains.....still no extra ball. I'm not sure how many of the heroes were lit solid so that may be the key....but that defiantly wasn't a factor up to this update.

#390 11 years ago
Quoted from crazyerk:

On my Pro machine I seem to be hitting Xavier, which starts find the mutant. Then the up kicker sends the ball down the ramp and that is starting Storm mode. Just me, or is this a software bug?

Yes...I had problems like this when I first received the game with version 1.1 software, but then realized it was an issue with the Storm switch being set too sensitive and registering when the ball would hit the ramp from the VUK. After adjusting the switch it was fixing these wrongful counted Storm hits....but I have since noticed some after this update.

The way the Storm switch is counted seems silly to me. The ramp entrance switch does NOTHING besides making a sound effect. The way the game normally works (before this update) is that if a shot goes into the Xavier VUK....the game is programmed to ignore the next hit to the Storm switch. If the switch is set too sensitive and is triggered when the ball hits the ramp from the VUK...that will be ignored BUT the actual switch hit of the ball rolling through the storm switch will count.

With the problems with this happening in the new update....I'm guessing they forgot to have that "ignore storm hit right after VUK switch hit" in at least some of the modes. That or possibly having 6 modes that were not intended to run at one time...running at one time has confused the programing a bit.

It seem like the smart way to have programmed the storm switch would have been to only count it as a storm hit if it is coming directly after her ramp entrance switch (or maybe within a certain time of the ramp entrance hit). This may not work well during multiball mode, but I haven't put a lot of thought in any multiball scenarios.

It sounds like just another bug added by this gift of a power pack.

#392 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

It's the same. But it only counts villain modes. I set it to 4 I think down from 5.

What setting and what are you saying now needs to be done to light extra ball?

#393 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

You're right. Set on hard, the hero stacking is very good and a great improvement. It solves the replaying completed hero problem entirely.

If the game still has you to replay completed heroes (even set to hard) the problem isn't fixed in my opinion.

The game either has you replay them when complete or it doesn't have you replay them wen complete. This is not a judgment call. How many shots it takes to start them is not an issue here. It is either...they replay....or they don't....and I believe they still do.

If this is a problem or not IS a judgment call and a matter of opinion, but if they replay or not is black and white and in my opinion it is a problem, unneeded and clutters, a now super cluttered game, for no reason.

#405 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Replaying heroes has become irrelevant now. In the last code accidentally starting a finished hero mode sucked because it locked you out of what other things you might want to do. But since they stack, there's no harm in starting a hero mode again. You can ignore it if you don't like it and still go for whatever else you wanted to do. I think the stacking solves the issue caused by previous code where you were locked out. Preventing the ability to replay heroes once completed would suck ass. You would quickly get into a situation where there's very little to do. Plus I enjoy replaying wolverine mb over and like the new stacking to use it to complete other modes. On the previous version, I saw your point with the replaying hero modes but I cannot see an argument against it with the new stacking. In fact, I think the stacking was added to address exactly that. At this point I would be avidly against preventing replaying finished hero modes.
I'd also point out that I know of no other game in pinball that has multiple shot mode enables (vs start mode shot like villains, ij mode start, tz scoop start) that prevent completed modes from restarting. Other games that have these types of modes include spiderman, Monster Bash, Medieval Madness, tron, ironman to name just a few. Allow modes to be replayed and it works since they are stackable. That solution now applies here.

Baywatch has modes based on each of the major shots on the game (like X-Men) and none of them can be replayed (beat or not) until the wizard mode is reached. Spider-Man doesn't allow replaying of timed "white arrow" modes (which are more like the X-Men hero modes than the untimed spiderman villain modes). The spiderman villains are replayable, but only after cycling through each of their 3 modes (not as repetitive as playing phoenix over and over just because you are hitting the shot to lock a ball) . Why would I want an already beat mode to interrupt the DMD animation, timer and audio of a mode that I am currently working on but haven't beat yet?

At the very least only replay the beat modes after a player has reached Danger Room. Getting the beat modes out of the way would help clear the clutter that this game has become in this last update.

#407 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

One of the things needing fixing in this game is a reason to want or NEED to play the Villains other than the "cool factor" (GI color change, animation, voices, the battle aspect).

Isn't that what the Dark Phoenix insert is for? Beat all the villains and it starts Dark Phoenix?

I suggest to make getting to DP mode easier they have a villain mode be qualified every time you hit the scoop and all villain modes stack with each other and hero modes. If someone doesn't like this they can always go in the setting and put the setting on the super duper extremely hard setting to make the game playable again.

#414 11 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Also I guess you need to complete all X-Men lighted modes? and completed each and not just get all of them flashing?

If you are looking to get to Danger Room you just need to light each X-Man by starting their mode. You don't need to beat their mode (make the light solid). After you have all X-Men lit you need to then start Magneto Multiball and get a super jackpot (beat him).

I have found that beating him in multi-ball is the only real challenge to this and a complete pain if you don't do it. You will need to relight the locks between each ball lock and lock another 4 up and try again from the start.

I have to say I do like the idea beating Magneto Multi-ball actually doing something (as I have beat him before in the past), but I'm not to fond of it here. Just like all of the other villain modes, I think his damage progress should be saved from one attempt to another. Seems pretty unbalanced (be default) to only have to hit each shot 1 time to start each mode...then if you don't get a super jackpot in multi ball it's grind time to get 4 more locked up and have only the same shot of doing it the second time that you did the first.

SAVE VILLAIN PROGRESS...it doesn't seem like it would be such a hard option to add.

#478 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

OK, here are a few integration thoughts, expanding on your idea. Let me know what you guys think
-Right now, a played Hero shot insert becomes Solid (whether played or finished*). What if these inserts were to stay lit when you start a Villain - and if so, those shots cause 2x Damage/Points? For instance, if you've got Xavier Lit, that would really benefit you during Shadow King since you have to hit Xavier so much. It would also benefit Juggernaut since Xavier's your final shot to defeat him - giving you 2x points for the finish.
*Side thought - Should you get the solid playfield Hero insert for just playing or only completing? Should these match the center Hero insert circle inserts? Before a solid Hero circle insert meant you were qualifiying toward Danger Room...that's not the case anymore...it now basically means you've earned the 3x Multiplier. Still, perhaps they're planning some future reward for completing heroes & villains...

The inserts being under utilized is one of my biggest gripes with the game.

I say use the center inserts to show if a Hero mode has been played or beat. The inserts on the rest of the playfield don't have to be used for this same purpose. It's redundant, adds nothing and uses up those inserts when they could be better utilized for another purpose.

The inserts that are on the actual shots should only be used if that shot is being used in whatever mode is being played. The white "name" inserts should indicate "helper" shots (ex: raise jackpot) and the arrows should indicate shots that work toward completing the modes. A couple of examples: On Jugs mode....the orbits should not be lit the same as the other arrow shots. They do completely different things...and don't help toward completing the mode. Why are they lit the same?

Your example of using completed (or played) characters to add to villain damage could also easily be shown with the inserts. If it's a shot that is normally used in the villain mode. I will use Jugs again as an example. When you start Jugs mode you could light the Storm, Rogue, Cyclops and Iceman arrows. If these are characters that you have played you could also light there name insert (flashing) and do a little more damage. If you have played and beat there mode you could light their insert solid to do an even bigger damage bonus. The orbit "raise jackpot" shots could start flashing, but if you have beat Beast or Phoenix the insert could be solid and add a jackpot bonus since they have been beat.

Keep in mind...this example could be tweaked or changed...maybe solid arrows to indicate the shot will do bonus damage if that characters shot has been beat instead of the normal flashing.

On hero modes it wouldn't make a difference on which characters you have already played or beat....but the inserts should still indicate what is going on and need to be done. In Phoenix mode since Wolvie and Cyclops shots CAN beat the mode, but not as much as a shot to Phoenix does. You could give Wolvie and Cyclops a flashing arrow and Phoenix a solid lit arrow. The way Weapon X multi-ball SHOULD be is that the quick flashing arrows should be lit solid the shots on the other side of the playfield that are slowly flashing should be flashing. It would be easier to see and also go along with the "solid lit arrows are more effective" idea. Another example would be Storm mode...Cyclops name insert would be lit along with the pop bumpers and Storms red arrow would be lit.

I never noticed until experimenting while writing this post at how broken these modes are now with this Power Pack. Here's an example...start a game and start Phoenix mode. Now look at the playfield......what are you supposed to hit? How would anyone know that Wolverine, Cyclops or even Phoenix is a priority shot. You can't...because everything is flashing. The same for any other mode. The only time when this isn't the case if you start Xavier mode. Then the game shuts down all of the useless lights. Here are a few things to look at....start a new game and start Cyclops mode. Why is Beast Iceman and Phoenix still lit and flashing while Storm, Wolverine, Xavier and Rogue are not? The way is should be is Cyclops should have a solid lit arrow and that's it. If there are no other modes running why are other shots lit up?

The inserts have never done a good job at indicating what should be done in this game, but now they are completely broken and useless. These hero modes were just not designed to be running at the same time as each other. Spread them out all you want by setting them on extra hard....the modes are broken as far as the inserts are involved.

#480 11 years ago
Quoted from jespo_19:

leave magneto super jackpot off of the pre-recs for danger room, danger room should just be an award for starting every hero mode. magneto's super should be a pre rec for dark phoenix though.

I agree with this...I like the idea of hitting a Mags super jackpot as being integrated in the game, but needing it to get to Danger Room is the bottle neck (especially since progress on battleing him doesn't carry over).

As it stands now I can get all the heroes lit about 90% of the time, but get a Mags super jackpot about 2% of the time. Not a good balance there.

My suggestion would be to integrate Magneto as a Villain (I know that's a strange idea) and count him as one of them (of course he has no insert...doh!) but I would throw him in with the villains, add bonus damage to to all of them on shots that need to be made to beat them that are associated with heroes (bonus damage if played and even more damage if beat.....or just bonus damage when beat) and would also have saved progress from one attempt to the next.

#483 11 years ago
Quoted from jespo_19:

good points, the best part of what you said is that all the inserts are there already and in position! just use em! the rectangular name inserts should totally be shot/damage multipliers for completing hero modes. that way they could go away once you lose the ball while the central name inserts around the big x could still remain lit/flashing for completion purposes. you'd still have all the arrows for other purposes too!

I never thought of losing the damage bonus or Jackpot bonus (in villain modes) for completing a character after losing a ball. I think I would want the bonus to ride the entire game, but having that option would be very nice.

All of these thoughts and suggestions just feels like pounding my head against a wall. After putting out this update I have no doubts that they are listening to no suggestions and just shaking up the code to look like they are doing something. Folks (including me) asked for easier villains through added damage bonuses for played and / or completed hero modes and saved progression. So they give us broken hero modes stacked on top of each other and say "Here...it's easier."

#487 11 years ago

New bug. Start a game...start Beast or Storm mode (they both light the pop bumper lights since the pops are used in the modes as a point bonus) now start Cyclops mode. The right pop bumper light goes off.

I don't know if starting other modes besides Cyclops kills the light, but I know starting Cyclops mode does.

Not a big bug, but just one of the many new ones stuffed in our Power Pack stocking.

#501 11 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

This game is eventually going to be great. Not good, but great. I am very encouraged by the progression of code and then news that Stern is NOT finished here.

I honestly don't see how someone could feel this way. It seemed to be heading in the right direction 1.1, 1.2, 1.21 and 1.22, but 1.23 has broken so many things. A large step back. I can't remember anyone saying the X-Men modes were too hard or needed to be stacked and run all at the same time. This update does have improvements (better magnets, easier botherhood and hellfire qualify, fewer hits on villains) but the vast majority of those things should have been settings....not rule changes. Why didn't they keep the same amount of hits required for Hellfire and Brotherhood and simply keep the targets active more of the time. With Hero modes running and rerunning they are still open for business for a very small amount of the time. Nightcrawler mode is now MIA because modes are always running and rerunning even after being beat.

Qualification to get to Danger Room might be easier now, but are terribly bottle necked with requiring a Magneto Multi-Ball super jackpot. So the requirements are hit each shot 1 time (super easy) and then get a super jackpot (not very easy at all). If MM progress was saved and it would be easier the second time you get to him...I wouldn't consider this method of getting to Danger Room so unbalanced.

As for adjusting the setting to hard / super hard to start each mode. Not a fix, and my complaints aren't on the game being too easy now. My complaints are that it's a mess. Even with one mode running at a time the game is messed up and it doesn't show what to shoot for.

Want to make the villains easier...implement bonus damage for completed hero shots. Add saved progress to the coding. Don't just lower the number of hits and also the timer. That's lazy and not at all what was asked for. Those should have been setting in the menu on version 1.0 anyway.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#506 11 years ago

I'm not one to go deep in one of my games with the glass off, but...

You have to have played all of the heroes and then get the super jackpot in MM. You can not get part of the heroes, then get a super jackpot and then finish the rest of the heroes. Danger Room has to start right after the multi-ball that you got the super jackpot on. That is how I read the read me to describe, but I had heard other speculate that you might be able to collect the rest of the xmen after the super jackpot...that is not the case.

Having said that BUGS! Dark Phoenix insert lights as soon as you start Danger Room. I am not sure how Danger Room or Dark Phoenix are supposed to work, but if the scoop is hit during Danger Room (with Dark Phoenix insert flashing) The Dark Phoenix insert will go solid and all 4 ball will be auto launched. I don't know if that was Dark Phoenix starting or something else. After all balls drain both the Danger Room and Dark Phoenix inserts go out.

PS: I've found many other bugs that I have reported on the bug thread. Can't beat Cyclops while in Storm mode (when you beat his mode it just restarts it) is probably the highlight.

#509 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The fact that you're not going in deep with the glass off basically means that you cannot make the statement about the order of the requirements. I'll go pull the glass off here and see.

I just did it...I don't know what is to misunderstand here. Just as the read me says...you need to have played all of the heroes and then get the super jackpot.

Getting some of the hero modes played, collecting a super jackpot and then collecting the rest of the x-men will not work.

Of course my game is defective because I am the only one that is getting Storm hits from the Xavier shots of a regular basis...more on that in the next post.

#510 11 years ago

Could some folks take some time to pull the glass, reset to default and try this:

Default setting.
Take off glass.
Shut coin door.
Press start button.
Snatch ball out of shooter lane.
Roll ball up the storm ramp (storm mode starts).
Grab the ball down at the inlane before it drains.
roll ball into Xavier scoop.
let the game shoot the ball up the VUK and down the ramp.
Did it complete the Storm mode when it rolled down the ramp? Please report back.

#514 11 years ago
Quoted from Buckman:

DugFreez - Tried this out and on mine the Storm mode does complete after I follow the steps. Also put it back to the "hard" setting and the same thing happens (just need to hit Storm twice to start it, and then I get the same result after I roll it into Xavier).

I know the false Storm hits happen from time to time, but the steps I listed above was the first and easiest way I found to reproduce it.

I get no false switch triggers on the Storm switch when in test mode and having the ball launched onto the ramp.

#516 11 years ago

Anyone else getting strange Nightcrawler activity? If I power my game off mid game. Then I turn it back on....only the right NC pops back up. The left one doesn't even attempt to pop up.

It pops up fine during Rougue and sometimes Xavier mode while in game. It also pops up in the test menu. It just seem like on power up it doesn't try.

EDIT: I just noticed my left Nightcrawler down switch isn't showing up. That explains why he isn't popping up at power on.

Edit: I just realized I was an idiot and had my right and left mixed up. So back to look for the culprit.

Edit: I found no culprit. When I turn on the game with both Nightcrawlers down the game will pop the right one up, but not even attempt to raise the left one. When I go into the switch test it sees that the left one is down. I'm sticking to my strange behavior....possibly a bug.

#519 11 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Mine seem all good. Hope you track your problem down and it's an easy one!

So did you try it? Keep in mind my Nightcrawlers work fine in game and in the test. They both pop up and down. Even after a game is over they both pop up. The thing is that if I power on the game with them down...only the right one pops up in attract mode.

Don't wish me luck....help a brotha out.

#545 11 years ago

Xavier triggering a Storm switch hit is a NEW bug IMHO.

If you use the example I listed above:

Default setting.
Take off glass.
Shut coin door.
Press start button.
Snatch ball out of shooter lane.
Roll ball up the storm ramp (storm mode starts).
Grab the ball down at the inlane before it drains.
roll ball into Xavier scoop.
let the game shoot the ball up the VUK and down the ramp.

On 1.21 code it WILL NOT count as a Storm hit. Keep in mind the game does still make the thunder sound effect when the ball rolls through that switch after it comes out of the VUK. By it doesn't count toward or finish the Storm mode (It only takes 1 hit to complete her mode even in 1.21).

On the POWER PACK! the ball coming out of the VUK counts as a Storm hit and completes her mode. BUG!

If you had issue with Xavier hits counting as Storm hits on software before 1.23 I suggest you test that the switch on the Storm ramp isn't too sensitive. That WAS an issue for me when I first got my game, but after adjusting it....I didn't have any false triggers until the 1.23 update.

Here is how you test the switch. Take off the glass, get a ball and go into the switch test. Trigger the switch halfway down the Storm ramp to see where it is on the test matrix on the DMD. Then make sure the coin door is closed and roll a ball into the Xavier VUK and keep an eye on where the Storm switch was. When the game shoots the ball onto the ramp and it rolls down...make sure it only triggers the Storm switch 1 time. If the switch is to sensitive it will get triggered when the ball hits the ramp and again when it rolls through the switch. Triggering the switch twice will cause the false hits to Storm.

Keep in mind I just tested this with ver 1.21 and 1.23. 1.21 behaves normally but 1.23 triggers a false hit (in the case of the example posted above).

#547 11 years ago

Could someone please do me a solid and do this test for me:

Start a game and turn the game off mid ball. Then turn your game back on. Let me know if both of your Nightcrawlers popped up for attract mode?

Keep in mind that someone just saying..."Yeah...my Nightcrawlers work" does me no good at all. It has to be the scenario I just described. Each code has treated how the Nightcrawlers have behaved in this scenario differently. Early code popped both of them up and tried to pop them even if they were already up. Then another code only tried to pop them up if they were showing as being down (seems like the smart choice). 1.21 codes doesn't try to pop them up at all....and for me 1.23 will pop the right one up (even if it is already up), but not pop the left one up at all.

Help with this would be appreciated.

#548 11 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

I can tell you for a 100% fact that it was happening on the last code. I know because I always thought it was weird that I'd get Storm callouts and start/finish Storm hero mode when I'd shoot Xavier. I was playing on 1.21 before updating to 1.23, I never uploaded 1.22, but I just assumed that it was the same, as 1.23 has the same issue. Could have been a sensitive trigger, but it never seemed to be too sensitive to me before *shrugs*

I hate to be rude, but if you can't go in and check the switch as I described....you can't reliably comment if it was or was not an issue with the older code. Like I said....mine did that with version 1.1 software back in July and then I was told to check the switch. I did and it was too sensitive. I adjusted it and all has been right since then until ver 1.23 was released. If you want to keep playing your game with messed up switches (or not knowing if they are messed up or not) knock yourself out.

#550 11 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Well, think I did this.
Started a game, turned off mid ball. Turned back on. My nightcrawlers then do nothing at all. Lights in attract but nothing else.

I have to say the opening "Well, think I did this." doesn't give me a lot of faith in your response. Was it your game (I don't see you having an X-Men LE on your game collection)? Is the game running the 1.23 code (that is what this thread is about)?

Someone please help my curiosity on this one issue (to see if it is a bug or not). I know it's pretty tough and I'll try to explain it as simply as possible:

Find an X-Men LE that is running the 1.23 code.
Turn the power on.
Press the start button.
Wait for a ball to go into the shooter lane.
Turn off the game.
Plunge the ball hard enough to get it on to the playfield.
Wait for the ball to drain and settle in the trough.
Turn on the game again.
Wait 3 seconds and note if the Nightcrawlers pop up or not.
Please report back to this thread with your findings.

Thank You

#553 11 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Not updated profile.
Did everything exactly as above - 100%. And yes, 1.23 code.
My nightcrawlers do not pop up.
Good, bad, no idea!

Thanks. As I said the Nightcrawlers have behaved different ways for different revisions. It just struck me as strange that one of mine pops up at power on and the other doesn't.

Seems like a strange issue and I would still like to hear from others.

#555 11 years ago

I found another bug.

Start Storm mode and then start Cyclops mode. When they are both running a shot to Cyclops will register for both Storm's and Cyclops' modes, but if you hit it enough times....instead of beating Cyclops mode it will just restart it. Timer restarts and everything.

So I guess to summarize...you can't beat Cyclops mode while Storm mode is running. I would guess that their are probably other instances of other modes clashing with each other (since they weren't designed to be running at the same time), but that is the only one I have ran into.

POWER PACK!

#578 11 years ago

I don't know what caused my "only the right Nightcrawler pops up at power on" issue, but after going back to 1.21 and checking some things and then reverting back to 1.23 neither Nightcrawlers pop up at power on. Glitch vs Bug I suppose.

#594 11 years ago
Quoted from bitCurrier:

I think a strategy of going for the bonus multipliers by way of finishing hero modes has some potential. For instance, it can be relatively easy to do a Cyclops to Storm combo which starts both their modes and then another Cyclops to Storm combo with nets you a quick 6x bonus and at least 4M points.

There is a bug in the LE code that prevents Cyclops from being beat if Storm mode is running (at least if Storm is started first). So a Cyclops to Storm would beat Storm (or a Xavier shot with the Xavier activating Storm bug would beat Storm), but you would still need to keep hitting Cyclops after you complete Storm to beat him.

#608 11 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Does anyone think Stern will be able to fix this messed up code? It seem as if the more complex game, is getting more buggy. As if its completely broken. I would have thought after all this time a semi finished code update would have been in the works. Instead it seems as if a few corrections were added but everything else remains messed up or became messed up worse.
Is this game going to become WOF? With totally incomplete code?
I sent an email to Stern and have not even got a reply back.

Being incomplete isn't what I worry about. When I hear of a game being incomplete, I think of a game with a missing wizard mode that I would probably never get to anyway. What I worry about with X-Men since 1.23 is that it will just be bad and broke from the first ball plunge.

I still say 1.2 was a big step in the right direction over version 1.1. 1.21 (much improved Xavier mode and Sentential intro) and 1.22 (fixed ball lock issue) were improvements from that. 1.23 is a big step back in my opinion and unless they go back to 1.22 and start working again from there, I'm guessing the game will always be busted.

Sure...set the modes start to hard or extra hard. The hero modes are still broken, it just takes a few more hits to see them. The only improvement I see in this version are things that should have been adjustable in the setting from 1.0 (fewer hits needed to defeat villains, fewer hits to qualify multiballs, ect...). These improvements should have been made with rule changes (hero interaction with villain shots and targets hits count during modes)...not with just tinkering with the settings. The improved magnets are the only thing I can think of that this POWER PACK improved....and I can think of many more things that it has broken (messed up insert information, broken call outs, GI bugged, modes resetting when played with other modes, Xavier shots counting as Storm shots, less Nightcrawler).

I guess I may also say integrating a Magneto super jackpot is also nice, but I don't think it was done in a good way. All it does is bottle necks the difficulty of getting to danger room now. To get to Danger Room...hit each shot 1 time (super easy) and get a MM super jackpot (not very easy at all). Plus, as others have said....defeating a villain should have nothing to do with Danger Room. The Danger Room is a training facility for the heroes, beating Magneto shouldn't be a prerequisite.

I would say that if you had vers 1.23 loaded on a machine and 1.22 loaded on a machine and had players play a dozen games of each....80% or more of players would say that 1.22 was the later and improved code and 1.23 was the early busted code.

Was anything added to this version (modes, call outs, features, dmd animations)? There were more bugs added than anything. I still can't understand anyone thinking it is a step in the right direction at all. The only good I can see coming from this update is I hope people have e-mailed and told them how disappointing this update is and they really take a look at it (and how bad it is) and decide to fix the broken mess that is has become.

#638 11 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Why can no one at Stern even acknowledge that I sent an email regarding the code? Something like: "we received your email and are going to look into the matter, thank you for buying our product"

Well...it has been the weekend since the code released. That leads into the New Years holiday. I would like a statement also, but I don't expect one and I especially don't expect one on their day off.

#639 11 years ago

The changes they did to the Hellfire and Brotherhood targets is a prime example of how lazy this update was. Sure everyone wanted them to be easier to qualify...but instead of keeping the targets active during modes (as people suggested), they just lowered the number of hits needed to qualify the multi-ball. Wasn't there already a setting to make qualifying them easier by lowering the amount of hits needed? Did it work or not (I really don't know)?

Those targets are also a perfect example of how they are just letting the bugs ride and keeping poor design choices around. Why do I need a graphic showing how many more hits to the Brotherhood targets and also a screen of text flashing telling me again how many more hits I need (redundant, clutterd, stupid)? Why have the targets make a sound effect when they are not active? Why have 1 set of targets light up when you hit them and they aren't active and the other set doesn't?

The Hellfire and Brotherhood targets should always be active as long as it's not a multi-ball. If they are not active they should not light up when hit. I really don't think they should make a sound effect if they are hit and not active either, but that seems a bit more excusable and a judgment call. There should be a working setting in the options to choose how many hits are needed to each bank to qualify the multi-balls. How about adding a nice slow flashing when 2 hits away from qualifying them, fast flashing when 1 hit away and then lit solid (as it is now and nice touch) when the multi-ball is qualified.

The Hellfire graphic was also a bad idea compared to the Brotherhood graphic. You can easily see how many hits are needed to start Brotherhood....the Hellfire graphic is more of an unnoticeable "idea" of how many more hits you need. Rework the graphic.

Think, if they fixed this...that would be one more thing out of the way to fix. They could do the same type of clean up on each mode. Then they could decide on how the modes worked in the game and interacted with each other....before you know it.....it might be a good game.

#688 11 years ago
Quoted from copperpot:

I just hope they clean up the issues and harden/deepen the ruleset and finish this code off soon.

Can ANYONE beat this game as is? Why would you want them to make it harder when I have my doubts that ANYONE could beat it as it is?

#692 11 years ago
Quoted from muttonboy:

Well, this is the most current Xmen thread so I'll post my Wolverine figure progress here I guess. The other figure thread is now a cesspool anyways lol.
My figure broke apart along the channel in back. My guess is anyone that moved the holes all the way to one side will eventually break the other side off just like I did. Although I may have had a defective figure, the channel itself was stepped in from the body, making where it meets the figure the thinnest part of the whole thing. I also have some air bubbles now that I look at the figure closer. The middle blade on his right hand has a huge one right in the middle that bulges up and also into the inside blade on that hand. I don't notice the bulge in any of the picks of remounts or painted figures that have been posted.
I've got tons of games on mine, I imagine as more games are put on others this is going to be a problem.

I hope this works out for you. Lacing him up thinner would probably be better anyway. From the looks of your first picture it look like went with a lot more cutting than I did on moving my Wolverine. I mainly notched out his bottom so he would slide over and made his mounting holes horizontal notches. Your original pictures looks like you cut his entire back off in the channel area (unless that is what broke off of yours).

#695 11 years ago
Quoted from BowlingJim:

So has anyone who sent an email to Stern heard anything back from them?????

No. I would guess they are just back to work today from the New Years break. I don't really expect to hear back at all, but I wanted to voice my displeasure so I at least feel like I have let my opinion be known.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dugfreez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-code-123-is-live?tu=dugfreez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.