Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by muttonboy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hi all, long time reader of these forums, but rarely post.

Went to a local arcade last weekend in NJ and played a new X-Men Pro. My first impression was that it looked a bit like Tron - which I don't really like all that much, so I wasn't expecting to like X-Men.

After about 2 hours of playing it I was hooked. I like the action and the flow. The magnets add some action, and I thought the ball lock was cool. The only thing I didn't love was the left side - a bit crowded.

I am seriously considering purchasing an LE. I have been reading a lot about the game, and I see that there are some issues. The first is the incomplete code (which might be updated in December - but no guarantees) and some auxiliary board issues.

Looks like I can get a nice HUO or even NIB for around the $6,000 range. Just looking for advice from some owners out there. Do you think it's a good time to pick one up? Or are the incomplete code and aux board issues to great to ignore?

Any advice pro/con is appreciated.

Jeff

#2 11 years ago

Buy the pro, not much difference....

#3 11 years ago

I have zero issues with mine. Great pin, good time to buy unless you expect the code update to result in a price drop. I don't expect that.

#4 11 years ago

If you are considering buying one do it before the code update hits. I don't think that prices are going to get much lower on this pin than they are right now.

I should add that this game needs a bit of tweaking out of the box. Possibly a wolverine adjustment (very easy imo), and most definitely the ramp post mod to get the air balls down (intermediate difficulty).

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from PinJeff:

Looks like I can get a nice HUO or even NIB for around the $6,000 range. Just looking for advice from some owners out there. Do you think it's a good time to pick one up? Or are the incomplete code and aux board issues to great to ignore?

If you liked playing the Pro, then the incomplete code shouldn't bother you on the LE. For aux board issues, I have had zero with mine. However if you buy one just go in with the knowledge that you could have the issue, but if you do, Stern will make it right.

Timing wise, who knows. It may go down, it may go up, no crystal ball. Howeever if I were in your shoes I would probably wait until after the next code update. If it gets good buzz then get one jump on one sooner than later because prices will likely start to creep up. If it gets bashed, more will most likely appear on the market and prices will drop a bit as a result.

Quoted from ilovegames007:

Take this with a grain of salt. There are actually several significant differences between the Pro and the LE. For some people the differences don't seem like a big deal, for me personally I couldn't go to a Pro after having the LE.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

If it gets good buzz then get one jump on one sooner than later because prices will likely start to creep up. If it gets bashed, more will most likely appear on the market and prices will drop a bit as a result.

Based on what we have in the code right now I seriously doubt it could make the game worse. There is already a lot of good stuff done in the code it just needs to be refined.

#7 11 years ago

This is pretty silly. There's a ton of difference:

1) very nice led light show
2) pop up night crawlers
3) moving ramp
4) spinning disc
5) powder coated trim

I think it is fair to say that the pro plays well and the differences aren't huge in terms of fun factor. With the current ruleset, the pro vs LE differences don't make for a much better play experience. But to say there's not much difference is flat wrong. And the differences may be better utilized in the coming SW update.

#8 11 years ago

Are the magnets on the LE as brutal as the ones on the pro since it has the spinning disc? I played the pro at SPF and the magnets had the ball whipping around. It was awesome and really had you on your toes

#9 11 years ago

Yes magnets act the same on Pro and LE

#10 11 years ago

On the Le the spinning disk makes a cooler affect when starting Magneto multiball.

#11 11 years ago

I would buy the LE, infact I did about a month ago, knowing all of the issues. I have replaced the aux board ( died day 2 ) I love this game. I will sell it one day though, all my pins leave at some point to get something new. I have no plans to sell it even if the update is not huge. Great game!

Post edited by PEN : iphone spelling errors

#12 11 years ago

Thanks all. Some helpful advice here.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Yes magnets act the same on Pro and LE

Oh man, I wish I had the $$ for Xmen, especiAlly a Magneto LE. But Tron was calling my name, and I love it. I hope I can gather up some money eventually and make Xmen LE my 3rd machine

#14 11 years ago

^^^^THIS. Nightcrawler isn't used enough to matter and the spinning disc is not that big of a deal. The moving Ice Man ramp is almost a negative IMHO the way it is used now...certainly not anything I would pay more money for. The difference in the LE and Pro that I actually value are all asthetics; I like the lighting and the powder coating, but for $2,000ish more...no way.

I really like X-Men, the problem is with the ruleset. It is really broken in that not being able to progress villain or hero shots while in a single ball mode is wrong. You spend all your time in modes and they are long...even longer if you light blackbird and get the inevitable "add more time" award. Unless you time them out, there simply isn't enough opportunity to do everything as you are always in a mode and can't progress anywhere till you are out of it. This needs to be changed badly as does the addition of the bonus multiplier. Why that was included, but never implemented is beyond me.

#15 11 years ago

Les hit the nail on the head. I'm a fan of the playfield design and the overall presentation, but the linear gameplay feels like a lot of wood-choppin' right now and I've put the game on hold so I don't burn myself out on the former before the latter is fixed.

I've been hoping we don't have to wait until xmas for the power pack. Considering that it shipped with code that shouldn't have made it out of the factory, our first update was, to me, the "real" version 1.0. Since then, it's getting near to 5 months with only a single update, and that was so slight as to barely warrant mention. They've had lots of time, so here's hoping it hasn't been spent on The Pin (TM).

1 week later
#16 11 years ago

Lots of helpful advice here. Thanks.

Went to play again this past weekend (Pro version). I still like the game. Granted I did not play long enough to really get to know the ruleset, but I like the layout and shots. Still a little concerned about the tight left side of the playfield, but I was able to make a few Beast shots - very satisfying.

Keeping my eyes open for a good deal on an LE.

#17 11 years ago

If Nightcrawler was used more often it would be a big selling point to me, I like these kind of toys and its vere fun pt shoot at him.

#18 11 years ago

I would say go with the Pro it looks and plays great. Plus you don't have to worry about some of the issues the LE is having. After playing both side by side I liked how the Pro looked and played better. I know some will not agree but it did save me a few grand so I am happy as can be about it. Either way you would be getting a fun pin good luck on your search.

Code is unfinished but people most of whom have not played the pin for long periods are exaggerating the problems it has IMO. The code as is provides a very fun experience it is intuitive and is very deep. Stern definitely needs to tweak the code (don't repeat completed modes please) make villains more attainable as well as brotherhood and hellfire and add a mode or two for sure. That said, it is still fun as is just could be so much better with some tweaks and a few additions.

#19 11 years ago

This whole code issue sounds a bit familiar...hmmm. They did the same thing with Transformers. Good looking game, good shots & crap code. I so wanted to get a TFLE. I would buy X-Men if you like it as is. The so called "power pack" update is not going to turn this around IMO. Expect the same upgrade that TF received.

#20 11 years ago

I'm very happy with the state of the heros in the code, all are fine imo except maybe Wolverine, but I think his Mball is a placeholder to show it for now, and it will go back to being a different hero mode for Wolvie and his Mball will be some sort of mini wizard. it's still in the menu that way, as two different modes.

I wouldn't mind if his mode was somewhat like Phoenix, where you can bash him 10+ times if you want to risk it, or hit the other shots to get it cleared in fewer. Maybe a roaming shot that changes everytime you hit Wolvie.

Getting to Danger Room is about the perfect difficulty for me, I've got over 2000 games played easily at this point and can get there usually 1 out of 3 games. It's a gratifying thing to achieve, but a huge bummer when you clear it, have a few balls left to play and NOTHING at all happens until you drain down to one...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fontana, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.