Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by hank527
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1182[1].JPG

#1 7 years ago

Just purchased a near mint X files And I can say that this game is way under rated. It is by far the hardest game I have ever played shots are tights and here are plenty of them.

I do not think it is the greatest game ever, but it is definitely a players game as I am constantly swearing at it.

Anyone else have comments on this game?

I just think it is very challenging and very over looked on pinside
The only complaint is the sounds or callouts are repetitive

I also think this game make RBION seem easy.

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Just purchased a near mint X Files And I can say that this game is way under rated.

Likely effect of the Honeymoon phase.

I'm a tremendous fan of the show and wanted the game to be a keeper, but after a couple of months, it had to go.

The game just isn't that great.

#3 7 years ago

I thought it was good, but I have only played it once. I believe the filing cabinet gives owners a lot of trouble.

#4 7 years ago

Fatsquatch hit the nail on the head. I had the initial honeymoon phase and then a few month later it got sold.

#5 7 years ago

None....the game is awful

#6 7 years ago

Heh, we've had the game for 2-1/2 years and I still play it multiple times during pinball sessions. I love the theme and the actual play!

#7 7 years ago

It's ok. I've spent limited time on it but I thought the filing cabinet and some ramp shots were pretty cool.

If I had to predict, I'd probably play it for a month and then put in a bunch of LEDs in an effort to increase my interest. I would then likely sell it a couple months after that.

#8 7 years ago

I agree with the honeymoon analogy, but for me every single pin I've owned suffered that same fate of this is the greatest thing ever to I've gotten the wizard mode a few times and now the pin barely gets played. I don't care if it's MM, or AFM or X files all of which I owned. That's the only problem with collecting pins, I remember as a teen in the 90's going to arcades and anticipating a new pinball as after a few months of whatever was there I got bored. If you collect and have the room then hey all the power to ya, but it's impossible to not to get a little bored after months or years of playing the same game. I thought I would never sell CV or Shadow etc. but you kinda know when its had its time and for me anyway once that happens I just want it gone. X files is great.

#9 7 years ago

I have never played it, but want to.

#10 7 years ago

I like the game, but the two things I really wish it had (and it really needed them) are:

1) Better DMD animation

2) Inserts on the playfield with the names of the various modes that light when you complete them

The rest of the game is great, but the lack of the two things above are difficult to overlook.

#11 7 years ago

Also, having a game in nice shape makes a HUGE difference in your appreciation of the game.

#12 7 years ago

I think it is the honeymoon phase, but something is way different with this game, Its brutally hard! That's what makes it so great. Most games I own I can get to wizard mode or close to it.

X-files is just so damn brutal and yes since it is in near mint condition I think that does bias a review of an older game. We will see if its up for sale in 3 months or not. Right now I'm going to say the game is a keeper until I can get to wizard mode, which I do not see happening.

#13 7 years ago

I've noticed more than any other game I've had that... some days you hit the ramps and some days you don't. And when you don't you feel/look like a complete beginner.

#14 7 years ago

Wish I didn't sell mine so fast. Love the subway shot.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Just purchased a near mint X Files And I can say that this game is way under rated. It is by far the hardest game I have ever played shots are tights and here are plenty of them.

its a surprisingly good game that is under appreciated i agree with you there! i can't get over the Sega photoshop jobs during that era. So yes i enjoy the game but personally wouldn't own because while i am familiar with the show I was never a huge fan (so the theme doesn't enhance it for me), Also I am not crazy about games that are too multiball friendly. There are some tight shots on this table and it does feel good when you get some flow going. Enjoy the piss out it Hank and when you are done with it i might know someone that will take her off your hands.

#16 7 years ago

It's layout is very similar to ID4 which I owned and liked while I had it. My buddy had an xfiles for about a year and he liked it. It's a fun game w/ a cool theme, I don't remember the pin being that hard, maybe I was use to the layout from Id4. Glad you love it enjoy!

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I think it is the honeymoon phase, but something is way different with this game, Its brutally hard! That's what makes it so great. Most games I own I can get to wizard mode or close to it.
X-files is just so damn brutal and yes since it is in near mint condition I think that does bias a review of an older game. We will see if its up for sale in 3 months or not. Right now I'm going to say the game is a keeper until I can get to wizard mode, which I do not see happening.

Agreed - owned one for about 3 years and found it to be not for the casual player. Shots are very tight and if you cannot progress in the game, it gets old quick. I am a little embarrassed to say I never made it to wizard mode on it - finally gave up.

#18 7 years ago

I LOVED this game when I had it Jun to Aug 2012. If you're a fan of the show, it is a perfect machine - at least to me. The cabinet art is short, sweet, and has a very mysterious vibe. Translite art was pretty good. Playfield I loved - so many nods to the show. The lack of "modes complete vs modes to go indicator" was definitely a major hit in the negative. The ramps are super tight, but man when you hit them, you are "in the zone" and to me - they require FAR more timing and skill than most A-list machine shots.

The biggest problem for me - and why I sold it other than paying off a car repair at the time - the maintenance. I bought this machine from a very good guy, and his machine was well taken care of. Man, it seemed like nearly constant maintenance. At one point, I was happy just to get through a game with nothing going wrong. The "phantom filing cabinet hits" drove me insane. The slingshots would go off randomly - had to tweak them. The LED issues I had with ghosting vs non ghosting - OMG -________-. Drove me nuts. That game required more maintenance than my other 3 combined, and it was a GREAT example - very well taken care of - nearly ZERO damage to the cabinet or the PF.

I love the theme to death and the music was great. Speaker quality was a 3 r 4 out of 10, but nothing a new system and some clever soldering couldn't fix. The callouts DID get old though - they simply needed another 20 callouts at a minimum.

If I hadn't needed money for a transmission bill at the time, I would have kept it. I want to think I would have. I loved that machine, but the maintenance was the deal breaker for me.

Youtube videos of the one game I got going when it was for sale. I think I had one game going for a good 12 mins or so - which for me on XF - I thought was pretty good. Meh - maybe so, maybe not .

#19 7 years ago

Cant agree more...one of my all-time favorite pins! Trying to track one down right now, tons of fun and quite a challenge.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

We will see if its up for sale in 3 months or not.

You will get bored with it.I will buy it from you right now and save you months of agony.....

#21 7 years ago

I owned X-files for 6 months or so. Huge fan of the show, but the machine was below average for me. Sold off my near mint example 10 years ago and have never missed it.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

I LOVED this game when I had it Jun to Aug 2012. If you're a fan of the show, it is a perfect machine - at least to me. The cabinet art is short, sweet, and has a very mysterious vibe. Translite art was pretty good. Playfield I loved - so many nods to the show. The lack of "modes complete vs modes to go indicator" was definitely a major hit in the negative. The ramps are super tight, but man when you hit them, you are "in the zone" and to me - they require FAR more timing and skill than most A-list machine shots.
The biggest problem for me - and why I sold it other than paying off a car repair at the time - the maintenance. I bought this machine from a very good guy, and his machine was well taken care of. Man, it seemed like nearly constant maintenance. At one point, I was happy just to get through a game with nothing going wrong. The "phantom filing cabinet hits" drove me insane. The slingshots would go off randomly - had to tweak them. The LED issues I had with ghosting vs non ghosting - OMG -________-. Drove me nuts. That game required more maintenance than my other 3 combined, and it was a GREAT example - very well taken care of - nearly ZERO damage to the cabinet or the PF.
I love the theme to death and the music was great. Speaker quality was a 3 r 4 out of 10, but nothing a new system and some clever soldering couldn't fix. The callouts DID get old though - they simply needed another 20 callouts at a minimum.
If I hadn't needed money for a transmission bill at the time, I would have kept it. I want to think I would have. I loved that machine, but the maintenance was the deal breaker for me.
Youtube videos of the one game I got going when it was for sale. I think I had one game going for a good 12 mins or so - which for me on XF - I thought was pretty good. Meh - maybe so, maybe not .

This guy again! Do you somehow have an alert on your phone whenever someone mentions X-files?

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

The ramps are super tight - they require FAR more timing and skill than most A-list machine shots.

I agree about the tight ramps. I bought my X-Files NIB when they were closed out for $2150 and I still have it. I don't play it often, but there's no reason for me not to keep it.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

This guy again! Do you somehow have an alert on your phone whenever someone mentions X-files?

. Just happened to logon when it was at the top of the page. Honest .

Still sore about the backhanding into the right ramp moment ?

#25 7 years ago

Also a huge fan of the show that really wanted this game to have something worthwhile. The shots are tight, but the ruleset just isn't there.

#26 7 years ago

The ramp shots are pretty satisfying, and maybe with a better rule-set the game would be a whole lot more fun to play, but as it stands, I think it's pretty average.

I don't mean to discourage your new purchase, I hope you find enjoyment out of the game!

1 week later
#27 7 years ago

2 weeks in and still loving it. Probably have 100 plus games on it and still cursing how hard it is

#28 7 years ago

I had an xfiles. It got boring after a while of shooting the loop shots. Also the game frustrated me with stupid programming rules like it forgetting your place in the game when you start a new mission. But what ruined the game for me was when the software glitched out on really long multiball causing the game to freeze at just over 14billion. On the good side the sound's, artwork and lights make it an attractive game. It did really good on route. Get some colored rubbers form Illinois pinball and some led's on the pop's and file cabinet to really pimp it out.

#29 7 years ago

I think the cream of the crop Sega pin has to be Lost World. Great shots, great modes, nice challenge level, better-than-average art (for Sega).

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from galaxian:

I had an xfiles. It got boring after a while of shooting the loop shots. Also the game frustrated me with stupid programming rules like it forgetting your place in the game when you start a new mission. But what ruined the game for me was when the software glitched out on really long multiball causing the game to freeze at just over 14billion. On the good side the sound's, artwork and lights make it an attractive game. It did really good on route. Get some colored rubbers form Illinois pinball and some led's on the pop's and file cabinet to really pimp it out.

It would be great if someone revisited the code and just showed progress on the DMD

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Still sore about the backhanding into the right ramp moment ?

I can verify that the right ramp can be back handed! Tried it after I read this post, and did it fairly easily too.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from mulder2010:

I can verify that the right ramp can be back handed! Tried it after I read this post, and did it fairly easily too.

Glad you're enjoying it, mulder (: !

2 weeks later
#33 7 years ago

Still loving it even after I got STLE. So I think the newness is gone. Game is simply badass

#34 7 years ago

It's a challenge. Not exactly a high scoring game unless you hit the jackpots.

#35 7 years ago

I will pick one up when there is one local and is in near mint condition. I may wait awhile

3 weeks later
#36 7 years ago

Mine will be for sale when I need to make room

BDK and Champion pub are leaving first. I love X-files and still am digging it after 5 weeks. I think it will leave to make room for Hobbit or Stern's next after Mustang.

After playing X-files for about 5 weeks straight I am thinking it is a 6 month to a year game. Great to have and own for a bit, but will be hard to keep when I need to make room for a newer game.

#37 7 years ago

I've been getting an inkling on purchasing one in the upcoming months. I played one recently and..... I like it!

Have any of you guys that chimed on here done any upgraded sound modifications?

#38 7 years ago

schusler, did you play it local?

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from Tinman761:

schusler, did you play it local?

He was in the southern 'burbs of Chicago.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

After playing X-files for about 5 weeks straight I am thinking it is a 6 month to a year game

I told you so....

#41 7 years ago

Yeh its a great shooter. I love the in lanes and the flow. The code is what keeps this from being the best Sega game. If someone could redo it and just tweak it X-files would be a top pin as the shots are fantastic

1 week later
#42 7 years ago

Can the left and right ramps be backhanded at all in this?

Another thing in the prelaunch, you get the option for Mulder or Scully: is there more to this than just selecting the character?

#43 7 years ago

Right ramp can be backhanded all day and night on a properly dialed-in machine.

There really is no pro/con to who you pick - at least that I can recall or remember.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Right ramp can be backhanded all day and night on a properly dialed-in machine.
There really is no pro/con to who you pick - at least that I can recall or remember.

Interesting.... look at the 3rd paragraph on this.

http://pinball.org/rules/xfiles.html

#45 7 years ago

Very interesting.... I never saw anything like that. That's a wild "skill shot" o_O ...

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

Another thing in the prelaunch, you get the option for Mulder or Scully: is there more to this than just selecting the character

Yes. If you select Scully the cabinet multiball is easier to start. If you select Mulder I think X multiball is easier to start. Or something like that

#47 7 years ago

Just added x files back to my collection. Anyone post pics of LEDs done for it. Think It will look great when done.

#48 7 years ago

I know not much love for X files...anyone have custom score cards?

#49 7 years ago

I think Pinball rebel has some.

I'll try to grab pics of mine LED out.

The love is gone as the code needs to track progression. If the code would track mode progression and display it on the screen the game would be a top 100. It is definitely a shooters game and the ball times are not long. I bet a fantastic player could get to the wizard mode in 20 minutes, but I have 10 minute games and feel pretty good. It's a hard game and high scores are difficult to come by

#50 6 years ago

LED PICS

Thinking of adding a green dmd to this one

IMG_1182[1].JPG
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Machine - For Sale
New Kensington, PA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Port St. Lucie, FL
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside