Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

00N0N_czelxSLz5UD_600x450.jpg
20140314_125548_resized-514.jpg
20140314_125524_resized-283.jpg
20140314_125127_resized-645.jpg
20140307_135642_resized-756.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I have found an X-Files pin with a non-working DMD. The asking price is $700. From the pics I see no obvious wear on the pf. I have asked for better pics. It's an hour drive to go see it. The seller also says the florescent tube that lights the backglass needs work. Does this sound like a good deal? too much?

#2 10 years ago

I would specifically ask for a close up shot in front of the Filing Cabinet. Due to the magnets, that's a bad wear spot. The factory fix was a piece of blue steel to glue down. Pulling it up often takes off even more paint. And, possibly a shot of the entire File Cabinet itself since it gets beat pretty badly.

Price probably depends on how much you can put a working DMD in it. If you have to buy a brand new one, or LED sub. It might push the price a bit higher than it should be. But I think they usually trade in the 800 to 1200 range anyway. Just make sure it is ONLY the DMD and not more.

Not much love from most but one of the better ones from that era Sega IMO. I like it for the flow. Wife won't let me sell it?

#3 10 years ago

X files is a $1500 pin working, most nice ones go for right at $2k.

#4 10 years ago

It's pretty tough to find any DMD game for $800 these days. If the playfield looks good and the boards look normal with no hacks or battery leakage, I don't think you could go wrong even if you find out you hate the game and want to trade/sell.

#5 10 years ago

Thanks for the input. I may go check it out tomorrow if he cannot supply pics. Wish I was able to swap in a replacement DMD before I buy. Is it common for the controller of the DMD to go bad and make the display look bad? This would be my first DMD game, so I have zero experience with them.

#6 10 years ago

X-Files is very underrated, and a lot of fun to play. It's also a really cool game to mod and add LED's to. The DMD can be replaced. Think about a blue one. The clear plastic protector in front of the file cabinet is usually broken, but you can find them. The file cabinet is the tough piece to find, and I haven't seen any out. there for sale. The fluorescent tube will be an easy fix.

#7 10 years ago

he sent me pics not worth $500 to me I've owned it and hard to get rid of gl

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from MikeMaynard21:

The file cabinet is the tough piece to find, and I haven't seen any out. there for sale. \

Psssssssttt......

http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/545-5778-00.html

#9 10 years ago

$260 plus shipping from au is insane.

#10 10 years ago

Ouch. Here's the whole assembly.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-6159-00-46

Thank you little-italy for the info. I am thankful we have a community where we can share this information.

#11 10 years ago

plus shipping probably puts that thing over $300, I saw one on ebay a few weeks ago for $75. They are out there...

You can fix your old cabinet with EP-200 epoxy putty, paint it, then spray some clear rubber coating over it to keep it protected... that's on my project list because my cabinet is tore up from the floor up. Of course I am thinking of selling my X-files in a few months after I finish cleaning it up.

#12 10 years ago

When I bought my x-files, the blue steel was screwed down into the playfield! Not only that, but it also had a sizable divot and the metal was worn through. Whoever put the steel on there did not fill in the playfield where it was worn down. Fortunately, my local distributor (Lieberman in MN) was able to still source the proper patch for me. I pulled the old one out, used some wood filler to level, and it's been working great ever since.

Love my X-files!

#13 10 years ago

Here's some pics of the machine. Opinions? No closeups of the file cabinet.

20140307_135642_resized-756.jpg20140307_135642_resized-756.jpg20140314_125127_resized-645.jpg20140314_125127_resized-645.jpg20140314_125524_resized-283.jpg20140314_125524_resized-283.jpg20140314_125548_resized-514.jpg20140314_125548_resized-514.jpg

#14 10 years ago

Here's a shot of the DMD with the machine on.

00N0N_czelxSLz5UD_600x450.jpg00N0N_czelxSLz5UD_600x450.jpg

#15 10 years ago

$700 I would have already picked it up instead of posting on here

#16 10 years ago

Hard to go wrong at $700. Go get that bad boy.

#17 10 years ago

Just looks dirty, everything else is a cheap fix (except DMD unless of course its only a chip)... That's a good deal for $700. Then again the cabinet could be falling apart. But just from the pics you posted I would jump on it.
If you need the LED's for the file cabinet optos let me know. I found a great deal on them and bought like a zillion...

#18 10 years ago

Yep, hard to go wrong for $700. Have a friend that has DMD games? You could test the DMD in his game.
DMD cable could even be slightly unplugged. Even other reasons, such as the high voltage it out going to the DMD.

#19 10 years ago

I had concerns about this machine. My wife talked me into going to see it. After seeing it, I gave in and bought it.

It is very dirty, but cleaning isn't hard. As the seller stated, the DMD does not work. I don't have any experience with a DMD. The display partially shows. The part of the display that shows moves around during play. I have checked the connections and reset them. This did not change anything.

I did let the kids loose on it after I wiped some of the dust out of it. It was a big hit. Can't wait until it's fully operational!

#20 10 years ago

Good move.

#21 10 years ago

I only bought one SEGA pinball NIB South Park. Show us photos and tell how the drama of fixing it up turns out.

#22 10 years ago

Good deal. Kids are happy so there is a big plus.
Time to find a friend with a DMD game so you can test out your DMD in his machine and vice versa.

#23 10 years ago

Nice pickup! I was about to call the guy last week to go pick it up on the weekend but my wife did not want my first machine to be something that needed a lot of work to get going.

#24 10 years ago

Jim, hope I didn't do you wrong by grabbing it... Blame my wife, she talked me into it.

Here's a 30 sec video of the DMD.

This shows the strange behavior. All the pixels seem to work, but just not all at the same time! Anyone seen this before? Is this a dying DMD or a controller problem???

#25 10 years ago

I'd run the test if you can find it- I needed to reseat the connectors on RS so double check all the connectors, the ribbon cable first.

Remember POWER OFF to reset connectors...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Quincy, FL
250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canton, OH
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Rubber/Silicone
ScottieIA Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 6.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Blackwood, NJ
$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-files-should-i-buy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.