Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20221222-184751 (resized).png
Screenshot_20221222-184803 (resized).png
2E376120-4E4B-45EE-A4F0-084128491105 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider V8haha.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

So i bought a beat up x files today lots of issues but the first one is this.

Turn on the game it lights up DMD is on looks great then 5 seconds later the entire game goes dark except for the red of the opto switches so i know they’re getting power.

Stays dark no sound then if you coin up by moving the coin switch is comes back on GI works again. start a game and it works but then DMD goes out.

If i try test menus DMD goes black instantly. It’s not a bad DMD.

Do these sega games run a power supply board or is that in the driver board? (I do have a spare rotten dog power driver board)

Thanks

#2 1 year ago

Something to add i just noticed.

Game is black no lights i open the coin door and it turns the GI on. Close the coin door and the GI stays on.

#3 1 year ago

I’ll try the new power driver board today but I’m thinking it’s a CPU board issue.

I do have other sega games on location. If i swap the CPU board to test do i have to swap the rom chips? I realize it won’t play correctly without the correct rom chips but can i use other game rom chips in the board to just test if my GI and DMD at least stay on?

#6 1 year ago

I’ll try swapping the driver board first. Then the CPU from my dodge viper or goldeneye.

I wonder if the DMD controller board could be bad. I reset the rom chip on that board and reset every back box connector in the game.

The DMD power supply board is new.

Wish i could post videos here to show what’s going on.

#10 1 year ago

Thanks everyone for the suggestions

Ribbon cables have been reset and swapped no luck. I’ve tried all the standard things.

No battery damage the board looks great that was the first thing i checked before purchasing.

#12 1 year ago

Ok so swapped in rotten dog SDB004

Also brand new ribbon cables cpu to driver cpu to DMD (i didn’t do DMD board to DMD unfortunately i don’t have one on me)

Strange issue rotten dog board caused some different issues from the first board coin door closed power on ball launch coil locked on (factory board this coil doesn’t lock on and it works when playing a game)

Coin switch did not work with coin door open had to pull interlock switch to get it to work. (Factory board coin switch works with door open) maybe this is just something that’s different with the new rotten dog but the locked on coil isn’t good. Weird that factory board doesn’t have an issue and coil works as normal.

Cpu board ordered hopefully the factory chips are good as i couldn’t find new chips

Here are photos of CPU board

Here are photos

2E376120-4E4B-45EE-A4F0-084128491105 (resized).jpeg2E376120-4E4B-45EE-A4F0-084128491105 (resized).jpeg
#15 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I do see some alkaline damage to the middle battery - side and the left side is cracked since the bottom 2 batteries are not being held in the holder tight as it should.
Be great to upgrade to NVRAM and remove the battery holder all together.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Ordered? I don't think that is necessary at all.
Already you can see with a new Rottendog driver board, results are not good. Sure you have the correct replacement board?
There are different revisions for different Whitestar games. Some are not compatible from some Whitestar games to some others.
I suggest cancelling that order and give us more time to get to the bottom of it.
At worse case, I would be asking to send the 2 original boards in for repair to ChrisHibler. Currently, I was not to that point yet of even suggesting it.

I have over 100 games on location arcade and pinball so having back up boards and parts is not a problem. I ordered a DMD controller board also we will see if that helps.

I agree the battery’s are old but you can see there is no damage to the board. I don’t believe this is my issue. I will correct the battery holder once i get the game up and running.

According to rotten dogs website this is the correct board for x files.

#17 1 year ago

Ok if not rotten dog what boards do you recommend?

Last time i spoke to chris he was months out before being available for new boards but i agree fixing originals is by far the best.

Hopefully the CPU and DMD controller board come in soon.

Still puzzled why my rotten dog board locks on the ball launch coil and my original does not.

#20 1 year ago

Thanks for the help guys.

New CPu board fixed the issue however now i don’t have sound.

I had to move all my rom chips over to the new board i understand if U7 is bad none of the sound will work.

All the chips looks good no bent legs i even reset them again no luck. I’m not sure what it could be now. Also reset all ribbon cables again.

Any suggestions on why i may be getting no sound? Like nothing no coin door sound nothing.

Thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Rubber/Silicone
ScottieIA Mods

250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canton, OH
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
PinSound

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Quincy, FL
$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Blackwood, NJ
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider V8haha.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-files-power-issue-?tu=V8haha and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.