(Topic ID: 64677)

X-Files pinball - my friend's first machine - any mods?

By Geocab

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by AlexSMendes
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 15 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_7364 (resized).JPG
IMG_7361 (resized).JPG
image-301.jpg
image-292.jpg
image-135.jpg
Shelby_Cobra_yay.JPG
dark2.JPG
playfield5.JPG
playfield2.JPG
playfield3.JPG
playfield1.JPG
alien3.JPG
alien2.JPG
alien1.JPG
DSC_1089.JPG

#1 6 years ago

Hi guys,

My buddy has just purchased his first machine, the X-Files. He really likes it which is good since there seem to be a lot if mixed feelings here about this one.

Are there any mods that can be done? I noticed the right speaker is missing and it looks like that can be added back in so that's one mod I know would be good. Is a shaker motor available for this one?

Anything else?

Thanks,
Geo

#2 6 years ago

Anti-glare playfield glass. To me, reflection from the translight makes it difficult to see the upper playfield. It is expensive. For now, I just took out the flurescent bulb.
I put in a set of Pinball Pro speakers which helped the sound. Then, I had to put anti-rattle tape on the edge of the glass. =)
Bruce

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

Hi guys,
My buddy has just purchased his first machine, the X-files. He really likes it which is good since there seem to be a lot if mixed feelings here about this one.
Are there any mods that can be done? I noticed the right speaker is missing and it looks like that can be added back in so that's one mod I know would be good. Is a shaker motor available for this one?
Anything else?
Thanks,
Geo

Get 2 speakers and junk the one that's in there. Ebay has speakers for cheap. I just bought a pair (that's the way they come) 6.5in round, high power 2 way for $49 shipped and a Glare Guard for the DMD from Twistedpins.com and felt leg protectors.

#4 6 years ago

Moved to modding pinball sub forum for you OP. Putting the X on the speaker grill looks good. Don't forget to toss in some LEDs.

#5 6 years ago

add a spot light to the fluke model and add right speaker, fun game

#6 6 years ago

Stick some x files toys on it

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

My buddy has just purchased his first machine, the X-files. He really likes it which is good

Just wait. i really, really liked mine the first few weeks and wondered what all the negativity was like. Then after continuously clacking those tight ramp shots, I hit the wall.

The speakers are a good idea. The voices can be muffled on x-files and the speakers really help with that.

#8 6 years ago

I'm trying to get him to sign up here so he can ask questions about his machine. I know the speakers will be a really good mod and he knows how to solder so that's a good start. He's already looked at buying an LED kit from Cointaker.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

Just wait. i really, really liked mine the first few weeks and wondered what all the negativity was like. Then after continuously clacking those tight ramp shots, I hit the wall.

No doubt about it the ramps are tight and it would have been so much better if they were just a little wider but it just makes me aim better,other then the ramps being tight its great fun

#10 6 years ago

LEDs look great in X-Files!
http://vidiotarcade.com/x-files.html

#11 6 years ago

I've been tinkering for a few months with my x-files... Heres a mod I installed to replace the hideous bumper caps with cool ufo-like illuminated purple caps... See what you think... (Obviously ramps not installed in this picture!)

DSC_1089.JPG

I've done a few other mods - I'll take some decent pictures tomorrow and add them to the thread

#12 6 years ago

Those look great! Post more!

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

No doubt about it the ramps are tight and it would have been so much better if they were just a little wider but it just makes me aim better,other then the ramps being tight its great fun

Yes but 80% of the game is based on being able to hit the right ramp. You cannot backhand it so you must hit it with the left flipper. I still recommend playing it for a few months before sticking money into it with mods.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Rav:

I've been tinkering for a few months with my X-files... Heres a mod I installed to replace the hideous bumper caps with cool ufo-like illuminated purple caps... See what you think... (Obviously ramps not installed in this picture!)

I've done a few other mods - I'll take some decent pictures tomorrow and add them to the thread

Those look sweet! Where did you get those? Please post more when you get the chance.

Yes but 80% of the game is based on being able to hit the right ramp. You cannot backhand it so you must hit it with the left flipper. I still recommend playing it for a few months before sticking money into it with mods.

I will mention to him your recommendation or keep trying to get him to sign up to Pinside. But, in my opinion, part of the fun of the hobby is the tinkering, plus he is a novice-level player like myself so I'm thinking he may not get as bored with the machine as a better player would. Of course that's speculation on my part.

As this is his first machine, he's excited to do SOMETHING, ya know? And I don't see him doing all the mods, but he'd like to know about what's out there. Ha, X-Files reference and not on purpose!

#15 6 years ago

Yes but 80% of the game is based on being able to hit the right ramp. You cannot backhand it so you must hit it with the left flipper.

I hate to be "that guy", but I have to be here. I was able to nail the right ramp with the right flipper all the time. It was nearly the only way I could hit the ramp. There was something about how the flipper lined up with that ramp; it was very doable for me.

As far as LEDs, be careful on this one. I had some weird problems with LEDs in mine. Like the 2x,4x,6x,8x lights near the flippers - I think the 8x would turn on all by itself each time I hit a flipper. Same with the "shoot again" light between the flippers. At first, I thought it was cool, but it got on my nerves VERY quickly. I had to buy some of these bad boys to stop it:

http://shop.cointaker.com/category.sc;jsessionid=89AAB47B51EBF85B7B73F3470AED5ACF.m1plqscsfapp03?categoryId=193

And the kicker about that: I had to study the matrix in the instruction manual to determine which lights would do it. If you didn't line up at least one problem light on the matrix and deduce which other lights were going to do it, you'd be swapping lights out a LOT.

Loved the theme, but man, that game gives me more bad memories than good in terms of maintenance.

#16 6 years ago

Ok, time to show off my "Alien Baby" lighting:

alien1.JPG alien2.JPG alien3.JPG

Once more I've used the Pop bumper UFO rings that www.pinballcenter.eu sell, one mounted at the top of the tube and another at the bottom which has been pinstalled inside a turtles green bumper cap.

I fi was to do it again I'd use LEDs for the red lights as they're not quite strong enough against the rings (you can also dim the green rings which I'll do sometime to counter-act this)

Hope you like!

#17 6 years ago

That alien baby lighting is sweet! Is it is the same alien baby as well?

Look what the cat dragged in.. newpinowner. I need to see video proof of you hitting that shot because I am finding it hard to believe that it was possible. Were your flippers on steroids?!

#18 6 years ago

Next up I was able to take the plastics off a turtles field and so replaced all the star posts and outlane guides with a cool green effect - plus blue rubber rings used for a nice contrast:

playfield1.JPG playfield3.JPG playfield2.JPG playfield5.JPG dark2.JPG

#19 6 years ago

Yes but 80% of the game is based on being able to hit the right ramp. You cannot backhand it so you must hit it with the left flipper.

False! It's do-able... tricky, but do-able.

#20 6 years ago

That alien baby lighting is sweet! Is it is the same alien baby as well?

Yes

#21 6 years ago

I back hand the right ramp all the time

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Rav:

Next up I was able to take the plastics off a turtles field and so replaced all the star posts and outlane guides with a cool green effect - plus blue rubber rings used for a nice contrast:

Awesome, just awesome. One of the first comments my buddy made was about the alien baby lighting.

#23 6 years ago

I love that Alien baby lighting! My X-files is going to dig that!!!

Geocab, here's the Stereo Mod: http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/speaker/index.html

and the full rules:

http://www.pinball.org/rules/xfiles.html

Great to see some X-files love!!!

#24 6 years ago

Thanks for the links.

#25 6 years ago

Look what the cat dragged in.. newpinowner. I need to see video proof of you hitting that shot because I am finding it hard to believe that it was possible. Were your flippers on steroids?!

Done ....

Start the video at 4:40. At about 4:42-4:43, I nail the right ramp with the right flipper. I'm doing a multiball and have already hit the left ramp twice, so when the ball goes up the right ramp, you hear the indicative sound effects that the ball went up the right ramp.

YEAH!

My wife (yep, married now to same girl as in the earlier XF vids on my youtube account there) and I reminisced watching these videos. As much of a pain as XF was, it was a very fun game. Great soundtrack and loved the voice clippings of Mulder, Scully, and the rest of the cast. When the day comes that we have a game/fun room, we have entertained the idea of getting another XF. We bought that one in DARN good shape for about $1300 in June 2012 - put about $300 into it to get it up to snuff before selling it (at a loss for those "investors" here....) .

Can't believe there's talk around here on Pinside of them hitting the $1800 mark. I remember people laughed straight to my face at pin meetings of XF EVER getting near $2k.

#26 6 years ago

I believe John Dayhuff sold a HUO example for around 2000.00 in the last few months

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Start the video at 4:40. At about 4:42-4:43, I nail the right ramp with the right flipper.

That clearly is CGI. No way I could backhand it on my machine. I wonder if there was something wrong with it. Or I might have stunk back then. LOTR has made me much better. I think you sold that machine because it made you hunger for the truth.. the truth of the alien bodies that were flown to Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio. This truth could have gotten you killed.. so you had to sell it.

Was she rocking the pink hair for the wedding? And did anyone soap your Delorean and write "just married" on it?

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Can't believe there's talk around here on Pinside of them hitting the $1800 mark. I remember people laughed straight to my face at pin meetings of XF EVER getting near $2k.

Darn! You mean I overpaid when I bought mine for $2195?

That was NIB on a closeout in 1997. Game's been HUO ever since, but not played much because the tight ramp shots are brutal (as others have stated). Really good looking game, though.

The first X-Files machines released had the magnet under the playfield in front of the file cabinet waaay too strong and the ball would actually gouge the wood out of the playfield there. Factory fix on later machines was reducing the magnetic current and adding an ugly metal plate over that area of the playfield and a clear plastic over the same area to eliminate airballs sucked down by the magnet. On HUO machines you really need only the reduced current to avoid the playfield wear.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

He really likes it which is good since there seem to be a lot if mixed feelings here about this one.
Geo

Don't buy into our bitching too much. The reality is, I think we would all agree that there are few pinball machines that are not worth owning and each high or low on the list ( which by the way doesn't mean shit) has its charm and fun.

#30 6 years ago

That clearly is CGI. No way....

Was she rocking the pink hair for the wedding? And did anyone soap your Delorean and write "just married" on it?

When she moved here for good, she removed the pink dye for job application purposes. She has her BSEE, so yeah, unfortunately in this society if you "don't look the part...." you're not going to get a job. I loathe stereotypes, cliches, and stigmas....

As for the wedding, it was $50 and 15 minutes for us. We're taking the money from what would have been a $10k+ day and looking at one of these:

Shelby_Cobra_yay.JPG

As for the DeLorean, we cross the 10 years of ownership mark this Nov 11th. My buddy, Eddie Ghesquiere, who was responsible for successfully installing a 2JZ Supra engine in his DeLorean is putting in a turboed VR6 engine starting this November. Going from 130HP to about 270-285 HP in a 2800 lbs car. Good times are coming .

Sorry guys for going off topic there.

#31 6 years ago

Hey NPO back down to one machine. Don't worry bro the bug will bite you again I'm sure. I stayed back at one for a bit but it got the better of me and now have bought 2 in 2 weeks. Another T.Z and a STTNG that is coming up from Melbourne. It's not here yet but keen as.

6 months later
#32 5 years ago

Just a little update to the X-Files tweak zone...

Added a decal to the playfield backboard. Also cut out behind the Mulder and Skully FBI cards so I can add lights linked to the playfield inserts (pics to follow)

image-135.jpg image-292.jpg image-301.jpg
4 months later
#33 5 years ago

I know this is an old post but for LED Alien Baby Mod, were the LED rings just plug n play???

7 months later
#34 4 years ago

Rav, how difficult was it to remove the backplate? For cutting out the holes behind the badges..

6 months later
#35 4 years ago

I'm acquiring an X Files pin and am super excited - can we turn this thread into a X FILES CLUB???

#36 4 years ago

I need to do some mods to mine.

#37 4 years ago

Amendes, I see you found the the "official" x files club https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-and-rules-to-x-files

Twitami: Theres tips both in this thread and in the club: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-and-rules-to-x-files

1 year later
#38 3 years ago
Quoted from Rav:

Just a little update to the X-Files tweak zone...
Added a decal to the playfield backboard. Also cut out behind the Mulder and Skully FBI cards so I can add lights linked to the playfield inserts (pics to follow)

I know this is old but anyway you can tell me where you got the backboard decal?

#41 3 years ago

Thats funny, it really fits xfiles more than MM imo ☺

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Thats funny, it really fits xfiles more than MM imo ☺

Yeah, it sure is very neat, but I think too expensive

#43 3 years ago

Awesome thanks! Ordered

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurium:

Awesome thanks! Ordered

How could you? The decal was listed as unvailable, at least when I checked earlier this morning....

6 months later
#45 2 years ago

Just picked up X-Files today. Looking forward to getting up to speed on this cool machine.

IMG_7361 (resized).JPG

IMG_7364 (resized).JPG

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from Kensurfs:

Just picked up X-Files today. Looking forward to getting up to speed on this cool machine.

Welcome to the club: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-and-rules-to-x-files#post-2103369

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,700 (Firm)
Boards
PinSound
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
3,700 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Commack, NY
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Funhouse Custom Lamp Out of stock
Professor Pinball
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 194.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 179.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside