(Topic ID: 116669)

X-Files - let's figure out this cabinet.

By Atomicboy

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

X-files cabinet top pic (resized).jpg
X-files cabinet lower pic (resized).jpg
the-x-files-i-still-want-to-believe-giclee-poster-print-18-x-24_1000_(resized).jpg
IMG_1288_(resized).JPG
IMG_1286_(resized).JPG
IMG_1285_(resized).JPG
IMG_1287_(resized).JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg
20150220_141938.jpg
20150220_140328.jpg
20150220_140313.jpg
20150218_193224.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider atomicboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I just bought one, and the cab appears perfect, but I'm scared for this cabinet. Is there anyone that can repro this thing?

What I would like is the same thing I would like for TOM (many similarities in Xfiles PF that was in TOM btw) - a new cab/trunk made of - wait for it..... what it should have been in the first place..... wait for it... NOT plastic as original given metal balls meeting plastic only has one champion..... what could it be...

...yeah, rubber... wtf designers... is there really another option other than a good thick rubber for this part?

Can anyone make this happen for CHEAP. Rubber grey mould is all that is needed, hell we can paint our own. These are needed and are needed ASAP. As with the German guy that was scared off the trunk by Darth-Rick, this part is not under current control of the Empire, and I haven't heard of Stern getting too pissing with people repo'ing needed Sega/DE parts.

This is a part that will make all xfiles obsolete in the near future, and I would like to prevent that.

#3 9 years ago

I'm looking into some options with a local molder. Even a small run of 100 is going to be into the thousands, but I guess if I can make some and people are interested, it's worth it. I mean the only option out there now is a $600 one with mech from Marco... and that's just one.

I'm going to look into a very hard and durable rubber, they explained a bunch of types they have suitable for this use, so we shall see how it pans out.

#5 9 years ago

I am, but I figure if it can be made with enough ordering, that we can make this work. We are all going to have to deal with this issue sooner or later.

I don't want it to break and have to buy another plastic one for 600, I know that!

#9 9 years ago

Waiting to hear back from a place, forwarded pictures and a general size. I advised I need very hard but extremely durable rubber, so they are going to advise what products that have. It's a commercial molding place, so I'm guessing I should find something.

#18 9 years ago

Matt, that's great news, but why not go with some type of industrial/commercial strong rubber?

I'm sure they will hold up better than the TOM trunk for example, but wouldn't an indestructible rubber be a better choice?

#20 9 years ago

As with the trunk, I couldn't care less how they bounce, if more or less. There is a magnet right there that makes shots to that area completely unpredictable anyway. I just want a part that will not be prone to breaking and having to replace.

The German guy that made some small runs of the trunk, and perfected the trunk (so I have heard) as well as the paint that lasts for it, and made something that people had for years with no issues whatsoever. I want that for this.

To me, I just see any solid product of vinyl or plastics breaking at the sides of the open top drawer over time. I mean, it's like hammer hitting a plastic piece over and over, there really is no defence for that in the long run.

If you are by chance taking a vote, and I think others should give their opinions, I would rather had strongest/least breakable over any type of closest to original. I would prefer waiting for yours, but I don’t want to have to do in the end what we all have to do for TOM, and that’s live with a broken trunk, keeping a nice new one in case we sell.

1 month later
#32 9 years ago

Every avenue I looked into was going to cost a ton. This was going to be done in an industrial strength hard rubber that would not break though.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Yeah, using a rubber like that will raise the cost pretty high. I was looking at doing a thicker plastic or resin with mesh reinforcement.

It's not so much that as it is having the unit designed, and a proto made by companies that do this. I wasn't comfortable with the sales numbers needed to make it work, especially since Matt said he will be making.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

In case my question got lost in the zone: Anyone think that sticking a piece of mylar onto the file cabinet would reduce the risk of it breaking or cracking?
=)

It may a little, it would be much stronger to add the repair material mentioned in post #26 as a preventative measure though I think.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Blackwood, NJ
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Rubber/Silicone
ScottieIA Mods

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canton, OH
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Quincy, FL
$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider atomicboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-files-lets-figure-out-this-cabinet?tu=atomicboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.