(Topic ID: 116669)

X-Files - let's figure out this cabinet.

By Atomicboy

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 107 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by AlexSMendes
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

X-files cabinet top pic (resized).jpg
X-files cabinet lower pic (resized).jpg
the-x-files-i-still-want-to-believe-giclee-poster-print-18-x-24_1000_(resized).jpg
IMG_1288_(resized).JPG
IMG_1286_(resized).JPG
IMG_1285_(resized).JPG
IMG_1287_(resized).JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg
20150220_141938.jpg
20150220_140328.jpg
20150220_140313.jpg
20150218_193224.jpg

There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 4 years ago

I just bought one, and the cab appears perfect, but I'm scared for this cabinet. Is there anyone that can repro this thing?

What I would like is the same thing I would like for TOM (many similarities in Xfiles PF that was in TOM btw) - a new cab/trunk made of - wait for it..... what it should have been in the first place..... wait for it... NOT plastic as original given metal balls meeting plastic only has one champion..... what could it be...

...yeah, rubber... wtf designers... is there really another option other than a good thick rubber for this part?

Can anyone make this happen for CHEAP. Rubber grey mould is all that is needed, hell we can paint our own. These are needed and are needed ASAP. As with the German guy that was scared off the trunk by Darth-Rick, this part is not under current control of the Empire, and I haven't heard of Stern getting too pissing with people repo'ing needed Sega/DE parts.

This is a part that will make all xfiles obsolete in the near future, and I would like to prevent that.

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I just bought one, and the cab appears perfect, but I'm scared for this cabinet. Is there anyone that can repro this thing?
What I would like is the same thing I would like for TOM (many similarities in Xfiles PF that was in TOM btw) - a new cab/trunk made of - wait for it..... what it should have been in the first place..... wait for it... NOT plastic as original given metal balls meeting plastic only has one champion..... what could it be...
...yeah, rubber... wtf designers... is there really another option other than a good thick rubber for this part?
Can anyone make this happen for CHEAP. Rubber grey mould is all that is needed, hell we can't paint our own. These are needed and are needed ASAP. As with the German guy that was scared off the trunk by Darth-Rick, this part is not under current control of the Empire, and I haven't heard of Stern getting too pissing with people repo'ing needed Sega/DE parts.
This is a part that will make all xfiles obsolete in the near future, and I would like to prevent that.

+1 for making this happen!!!

#3 4 years ago

I'm looking into some options with a local molder. Even a small run of 100 is going to be into the thousands, but I guess if I can make some and people are interested, it's worth it. I mean the only option out there now is a $600 one with mech from Marco... and that's just one.

I'm going to look into a very hard and durable rubber, they explained a bunch of types they have suitable for this use, so we shall see how it pans out.

#4 4 years ago

I'd buy a few. And expect the price of production to be in the thousands.

#5 4 years ago

I am, but I figure if it can be made with enough ordering, that we can make this work. We are all going to have to deal with this issue sooner or later.

I don't want it to break and have to buy another plastic one for 600, I know that!

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I am, but I figure if it can be made with enough ordering, that we can make this work. We are all going to have to deal with this issue sooner or later.
I don't want it to break and have to buy another plastic one for 600, I know that!

Agreed, I would buy one

#7 4 years ago

Count me in.

#8 4 years ago

I'm in for one.

#9 4 years ago

Waiting to hear back from a place, forwarded pictures and a general size. I advised I need very hard but extremely durable rubber, so they are going to advise what products that have. It's a commercial molding place, so I'm guessing I should find something.

#10 4 years ago

Im in for one too.... I was thinking of using a miniature file cabinet like ones used for a diaorama ebay.com link » Jakks Wwe Apa File Cabinet Action Figure Accessory Wwf

I would be fine painting it myself.

Post edited by Deadpool66: changes

#11 4 years ago

I am actually in the middle of making them, but I had to put them on hold due to Hobbit work. I should be back on them here really soon. I have a NOS cabinet and access to and X-files game. Just need to wrap up a few things and I can get back on mods again. Just want to give a heads up before you spend the money to have someone fund it.

#12 4 years ago

Sounds promising Atomicboy!

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from BackAlleyMatt:

I am actually in the middle of making them, but I had to put them on hold due to Hobbit work. I should be back on them here really soon. I have a NOS cabinet and access to and X-files game. Just need to wrap up a few things and I can get back on mods again. Just want to give a heads up before you spend the money to have someone fund it.

That's good news, original material or new? Pricing? Even a ball park price would be great.

#14 4 years ago

The original material is a roto cast vinyl like. I know who did it I am pretty sure but I know what material to make it out of. Basically it is the same material I made the bash toy heads for Hobbit out of. However I do think that they could be out of a urethane plastic as I made the ID4 head replacements out of them and they have held up great for a few years now...knock on wood

I want to make it out of the resin and set a jig to smash it a couple of thousand times and if good go that way but really don't have a problem going out of the other material that I made the hobbit heads out of it just has a longer cure time so I would make a few mold cavities to make up that time rather then one to start off.

Guess on price I would like to say $100 shipped like I did on the ID4 heads that where selling for like 5-600 as well. Which is crazy, no one should have to pay that for a part on a pin that is as simple as that. But have to crunch some numbers, so it is just a guess, maybe a little less or a hair more.

Should be able to get back on making them in about the second week in Feb. Just finished other mods that I will release on monday and X-files was next on the catch up list

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from BackAlleyMatt:

The original material is a roto cast vinyl like. I know who did it I am pretty sure but I know what material to make it out of. Basically it is the same material I made the bash toy heads for Hobbit out of. However I do think that they could be out of a urethane plastic as I made the ID4 head replacements out of them and they have held up great for a few years now...knock on wood
I want to make it out of the resin and set a jig to smash it a couple of thousand times and if good go that way but really don't have a problem going out of the other material that I made the hobbit heads out of it just has a longer cure time so I would make a few mold cavities to make up that time rather then one to start off.
Guess on price I would like to say $100 shipped like I did on the ID4 heads that where selling for like 5-600 as well. Which is crazy, no one should have to pay that for a part on a pin that is as simple as that. But have to crunch some numbers, so it is just a guess, maybe a little less or a hair more.
Should be able to get back on making them in about the second week in Feb. Just finished other mods that I will release on monday and X-files was next on the catch up list

Sweet. thanks for the response and details.

#16 4 years ago

Fantastic!! Im interested in 2 or 3 too!!

#17 4 years ago

This is awsome....great news guys!!!

#18 4 years ago

Matt, that's great news, but why not go with some type of industrial/commercial strong rubber?

I'm sure they will hold up better than the TOM trunk for example, but wouldn't an indestructible rubber be a better choice?

#19 4 years ago

The plastics and rubbers I use are industrial/commercial strong. There are a lot of types and all have different strength. If a rubber is to hard it can effect how the ball bounces or dead ins after the hit so you want to get it really close to what is in the game as not to change things to much. But change it enough that they don't break as easy.

Not sure on the TOM trunks, never remade them or had a chance to study one so not sure what is causing the breaks on those. Design, age, material?

The material I end up using for it will be tested and hold up to the abuse.

#20 4 years ago

As with the trunk, I couldn't care less how they bounce, if more or less. There is a magnet right there that makes shots to that area completely unpredictable anyway. I just want a part that will not be prone to breaking and having to replace.

The German guy that made some small runs of the trunk, and perfected the trunk (so I have heard) as well as the paint that lasts for it, and made something that people had for years with no issues whatsoever. I want that for this.

To me, I just see any solid product of vinyl or plastics breaking at the sides of the open top drawer over time. I mean, it's like hammer hitting a plastic piece over and over, there really is no defence for that in the long run.

If you are by chance taking a vote, and I think others should give their opinions, I would rather had strongest/least breakable over any type of closest to original. I would prefer waiting for yours, but I don’t want to have to do in the end what we all have to do for TOM, and that’s live with a broken trunk, keeping a nice new one in case we sell.

#21 4 years ago

I'd be in for a spare cabinet for Xfiles from BackAlley whenever they become available..

1 week later
#22 4 years ago

I'd be interested in one as well, when they become available.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

This is a part that will make all xfiles obsolete in the near future

Count me in!

#24 4 years ago

Im in for sure, now if someone would replicate the alien baby I'd be set as mine was mia when I bought my cabinet

1 week later
#25 4 years ago

Well I just rebuilt my flippers and it proved to be to much for my cabinet. Headed to the auto parts store to sculpt my own. Any suggestions on material? fiberglass and bondo first thing to come to mind. Maybe with some screen added in? Anyone try this rte?Id still be interested in a new one if they became available. Here's a pic, my drawer that opens is undamaged and still attached to mechanism 20150218_193224.jpgthough.

#26 4 years ago

Cheap quick fix, hidden so dosnt have to look pretty.feels very flexible but strong.note the screen that comes with it. Still wanna get new one for cosmetic reasons but this will do fo now. $10.99auto zone.20150220_141938.jpg20150220_140328.jpg20150220_140313.jpg

#27 4 years ago

I actually put some black stuff down first before laying screen and then again on top. Sorry pics in wrong order.

#28 4 years ago

Pics of final product ? Nice repair

1 week later
#29 4 years ago

Hmm would putting on mylar on the front of the two lower file drawers prevent any damage, the way it protects the playfield from wear?

#30 4 years ago

No opinions, anyone?

#31 4 years ago

I wanted to make a repro, but I was worried that my cost to create and cast the mold would be too high for the demand. Sounds like there may be some interest still???

#32 4 years ago

Every avenue I looked into was going to cost a ton. This was going to be done in an industrial strength hard rubber that would not break though.

#33 4 years ago

If it gets more expensive than 595 + shipping (quite vital extra cost when it comes to marco ) then its just as "cheap" to buy it from Marco. So if its under that amount, I guess it is interesting for many

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Every avenue I looked into was going to cost a ton. This was going to be done in an industrial strength hard rubber that would not break though.

Yeah, using a rubber like that will raise the cost pretty high. I was looking at doing a thicker plastic or resin with mesh reinforcement.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Yeah, using a rubber like that will raise the cost pretty high. I was looking at doing a thicker plastic or resin with mesh reinforcement.

It's not so much that as it is having the unit designed, and a proto made by companies that do this. I wasn't comfortable with the sales numbers needed to make it work, especially since Matt said he will be making.

#36 4 years ago

In case my question got lost in the zone: Anyone think that sticking a piece of mylar onto the file cabinet would reduce the risk of it breaking or cracking?

=)

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

In case my question got lost in the zone: Anyone think that sticking a piece of mylar onto the file cabinet would reduce the risk of it breaking or cracking?
=)

It may a little, it would be much stronger to add the repair material mentioned in post #26 as a preventative measure though I think.

9 months later
#38 4 years ago

Well I know it has been far to long but got the game on loan from a buddy and was able to get the ball rolling. Need to make master molds and then make a few test cabinets. Once I am 100% satisfied that it will last for a long long time we should be good to rock. The material I am using is made for impacts so there should be no problem. I also beefed up the cabinet on the inside like I did the ID4 alien head to help with breakage in the normal spots as well as shaved the cabinet door handles done a little so they will not break. I think we will have a winner for sure. I will make the mold tomorrow and a test cast this weekend. After that it really need to post cure for 7 days to get to the full strength. With any luck the beginning of the year these should be ready to start shipping
Here is a quick pic of my mock up next to an original cabinet.

FullSizeRender.jpg

#39 4 years ago

Awesome!

#40 4 years ago

Great!
Would want one of these myself, as a backup!

#42 4 years ago

ill buy one!

#43 4 years ago

I'm in too!!

2 weeks later
#44 4 years ago

I'll buy one. Put me on the list!

#45 4 years ago

I'll take one of them as well.

3 weeks later
#46 3 years ago

Are these available yet?

#47 3 years ago

Bump anybody know the status on these and if they will be available ?
Thanks guys

#48 3 years ago

One more, please!

#49 3 years ago

Hi Guys sorry for the delay. Been slammed here at the shop.

None the less tomorrow I will cast the final proto and let cure and then I think we should be good. I am super please with the result and feel that these should last for a really long time. Next weekend I will post a video as it will have had it post cure time so I can so how it flex and is installed and in action.

Almost there

Thank for hanging in there.

#50 3 years ago

Awesome news

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Clinton, NJ
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
PinSound
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Machine - For Sale
Sebring, FL
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 25.50
$ 400.00
Boards
Great American Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside