IMG_5597 (resized).JPG
IMG_5548 (resized).JPG
IMG_5540 (resized).JPG
IMG_5599 (resized).JPG
IMG_5598 (resized).JPG
IMG_5594 (resized).JPG
IMG_5593 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I figured I'd take some pics and post instructions on how to remove the upper playfield on WWFRR in case anyone needs it. The tools you'll need are:
-Phillips head screwdriver (large and small tip)
-5/32 Allen wrench
-9/64 Allen wrench
-11/32 small wrench
-Screwdriver with socket attachments (1/4, 5/16, 11/32)

First you'll need to remove the left and right wire ramps. Next remove all the plastic covers on the upper playfield.. You can leave the wires attached and just set them aside. Below you'll see most of the screws/bolts that need to be removed. Don't forget about the plastic cover at the very back of the playfield. Theres a clip that attaches is to the left ramp.

IMG_5593 (resized).JPGIMG_5593 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Now that the plastics are off you'll see the nuts holding the upper playfield in place. You can loosen them but I would recommend leaving one attach to keep it in place while you set the playfield upright to remove the flippers/diverters and wire harnesses.

IMG_5594 (resized).JPGIMG_5594 (resized).JPG

#3 6 years ago

Tip the whole playfield upright and loosen the flipper bats and diverters. Below you will see where they are secured. A 5/32 allen wrench is needed for the flippers and a 9/64 allen wrench is needed for the diverters. Also unplug the two wire harnesses for the upper playfield.

IMG_5598 (resized).JPGIMG_5598 (resized).JPG

Once these are loosened carefully pull the flippers and diverters from the top up through the upper playfield. Do this slowly to make sure they don't catch on any wires.

#4 6 years ago

Set the playfield horizontal again and remove the VUK ramp. This one is a little tricky and will probably require a 11/32 wrench. There are two nuts that secure this ramp and one is under the upper playfield. At this point you can remove all the nuts keeping the upper playfield attached and wiggle it to make some space so you can remove the VUK ramp. Once that's out of the way, the upper playfield should pull right up and off. Be careful that the left plastic ramp doesn't get caught on it.

00c6bcccf30b3612d8dd9f2d86f44ea742b0aaab (resized).jpg00c6bcccf30b3612d8dd9f2d86f44ea742b0aaab (resized).jpg

IMG_5599 (resized).JPGIMG_5599 (resized).JPG

#5 6 years ago

Reassembly is basically the reverse process. An important thing to remember is to remove any gremlins from your machine before you put it back together.

IMG_5540 (resized).JPGIMG_5540 (resized).JPG
IMG_5548 (resized).JPGIMG_5548 (resized).JPG

Don't forget to get the VUK ramp secured before tightening down the upper playfield. Once the playfield is in place it is impossible to get the VUK ramp fastened and you'll have to loosen the whole upper playfield to get at it(speaking from experience). Also there's a wire harness that has gotten wedged in between the drop targets and the plywood in me before. Make sure that is out of the way.

And that should be it. Reinstall all the ramps and plastic covers.

#6 6 years ago

*Bonus TIP*

I'm not sure if all the data east games used these short metal guides that go underneath the playfield but they're terrible on my WWFRR. They barely protect anything and the guides end up digging into the plywood.

IMG_5597 (resized).JPGIMG_5597 (resized).JPG

ditch those crappy brackets and replace them with some stern edge slide brackets (535-5988-01 ). They use the existing screw holes and add much more protection, making it easier and less damaging to slide the playfield around. I drilled a small pilot hole and added a #4 1/2" screw and it works much better.

IMG_5598 (resized).JPGIMG_5598 (resized).JPG

you can find them at pinballlife and marcospecialties. less than $6 for both brackets!
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2833
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-5988-01

#7 6 years ago

Thanks, I did this a few years ago, time, an time again because I always forgot to to do something, once it was for to put the plastic back that covers one of the pops that sit just under the playfield an don't forget to change the the bulbs or put leds in the inserts underneath so you don't have to change them later down the track, I just remember doing it over an over till I finally got it right, thanks for doing this so it makes it easier for the person.

#8 6 years ago

When launching on mine, the ball gets stopped at times under the upper playfield and I have yet to solve the issue. Your thread is encouraging motivation, thanks!

#9 6 years ago

Yeah still happens occasionally on mine, always have to keep a spare ball in the coin box to throw up the playfield whenever that happens, it's ver annoying.

#10 6 years ago

I wonder if there's a wire or harness sticking in the lane

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

When launching on mine, the ball gets stopped at times under the upper playfield and I have yet to solve the issue. Your thread is encouraging motivation, thanks!

Strange. In the hundreds of games I've put on mine I have never encountered the problem. Should be easier to diagnose if you go to the trouble of the OP and remove the upper playfield. I imagine something in the way.

#12 6 years ago

Are all the bulbs under the playfield 44 style? I am gonna get some LEDs for mine so I never have to change a bulb again! Awesome tutorial thanks!!

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from BrewersArcade:

Are all the bulbs under the playfield 44 style? I am gonna get some LEDs for mine so I never have to change a bulb again! Awesome tutorial thanks!!

Yeah I think so, but grab some 555's just incase u would hate to go through all that trouble an not be prepared, u can always use them somewhere else if need be.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from BrewersArcade:

The bulbs that light the belt inserts are 555, and there's 3 of them. The two other bulbs are 44/47. I recommend non ghosting frosted leds for the inserts. There will be faint ghosting if you get regular leds.

1 year later
#15 5 years ago

incredible thread..so glad I found it..you should make a youtube show ..thanks for your insight! LEDS Going in now!

3 years later
#16 1 year ago

Shot in the dark here, but can anyone give me some pointers for getting the diverters reinstalled properly? The Allen key bolts are a pain to deal with, and I can’t seem to get the diverters to freely open and close correctly. They feel really mushy like they’re bound up on something.

1 year later
#17 68 days ago

Hoping to have time to tackle this project over the weekend

3 weeks later
#18 46 days ago

Huge thanks for this write up. I just finished actually having the time to tackle this job.
The screw for the VUk is def the biggest pain of the job as is getting access to one of the hex screws for the left diverter from under the playfield.
I recommend loosely re securing the upper playfield and reconnecting the harnesses to test that all your bulbs are working if you put in LEDs especially since the 555 wedge base bulbs can be finicky. Also be sure to have extra 44 LED bulbs to light under the upper playfield when it’s off. I think there are 6-7 bulbs under there. There is also a bulb inside of the guide rails next to Crush’s head to the left. You don’t really notice it but be sure to change that bulb! I’m pointing to the area in one of the photos.

I haven’t play tested yet but it’s looking good to go so far. Getting close to being done shopping it out.

IMG_1958 (resized).jpegIMG_1958 (resized).jpegIMG_1960 (resized).jpegIMG_1960 (resized).jpegIMG_1961 (resized).jpegIMG_1961 (resized).jpegIMG_1962 (resized).jpegIMG_1962 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 26.50
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwfrr-upper-playfield-removal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.